Travelling thread

Dangelus

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

When I'm travelling alone I usually don't spend more than ten euros a day, unless I visit a museum. During a city trip I spend most of the time walking around and admiring the architecture and that doesn't cost much, plus I don't like to eat at a restaurant when I'm alone.

And this is why Dutch tourists are so popular abroad :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

And this is why Dutch tourists are so popular abroad :P

Haha... I'm not like that when I'm travelling with mates and we go to restaurants and the local pubs in the evening! I just don't enjoy doing that by myself and I'm a bit of a minimalist anyway.

• 1 year later...

My girlfriend and I are moving to Krakow, Poland for 3 months next year. Went there for a week recently and loved it so we're going for an extended trip since I work remotely anyway. Planning to explore the city more and spend every weekend in Energylandia theme park, cant wait :D

6 hours ago, willl said:

My girlfriend and I are moving to Krakow, Poland for 3 months next year. Went there for a week recently and loved it so we're going for an extended trip since I work remotely anyway. Planning to explore the city more and spend every weekend in Energylandia theme park, cant wait :D

You doing the Air BnB thing? How much is it setting you back for the time?

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

You doing the Air BnB thing? How much is it setting you back for the time?

Yeh that's the plan. Have found a few dozen suitable properties (2 bedroom, kitchen, WiFi, entire place, central location) so going to get one booked tonight when I've decided which one looks best.

Prices range from £450-£1000 per month. I'm gonna try and stick to £600p/m as I see every pound saved as money that goes into future trips :D

Prices elsewhere on Airbnb have exploded recently I've found, fortunately Krakow has stayed pretty reasonable

21 minutes ago, willl said:

Yeh that's the plan. Have found a few dozen suitable properties (2 bedroom, kitchen, WiFi, entire place, central location) so going to get one booked tonight when I've decided which one looks best.

Prices range from £450-£1000 per month. I'm gonna try and stick to £600p/m as I see every pound saved as money that goes into future trips :D

Prices elsewhere on Airbnb have exploded recently I've found, fortunately Krakow has stayed pretty reasonable

I’m actually looking for a way to put the wife and kid somewhere cheap for the next 6-12 months so I can save for a deposit on a place in London. 😂

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

I’m actually looking for a way to put the wife and kid somewhere cheap for the next 6-12 months so I can save for a deposit on a place in London. 😂

Brexit kinda bollocks that up as they can only stay for up to 90 days out of every 180 I think?

I just booked my Airbnb now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Recently went on a work trip to Texas. I used to fly 2 - 3 times per week for work pre pandemic but last week was the first time I flew since the fall of 2020. 

I'll be doing a very quick 2 day trip to Los Angeles in the first weekend of November. Even thought it's only a 2 day trip, it's going to be a lot of fun. 

I'm going specifically to see the Pink Floyd - Their Mortal Remains exhibit. 

• Like 1

I haven't been abroad since January 2020 when I went to France. Many people around me have been going on vacation to other European countries anyway, but so far I didn't want to take the risk. I wanted to go to Portugal this fall, but with the numbers rising and a lot of countries going code red again, I think it's best to wait till next year.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:55 AM, Dazey said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on vacation anywhere outside these isles to to ease myself back in slowly I’ve just booked 6 nights in Vegas for next year. 🥳🥳🥳

I used to go to Vegas twice a year for a number of years there. I haven't been back for about two years now though. As it stands, my wife and I are currently considering flying in on Christmas day then flying home on the 27th. 

• Like 1

I plan to take an extensive roadtrip in the summer of 2022. It will be mostly me and my 3 children, because husband doesn't get time off.

I first want to travel Italy (Venice, Bologna, Ravenna) then take a ferry to Korfu (Greece). Spend time there exploring. Afterwards I plan to take a ferry to Albania or northern Greece and travel the whole Balkan up north.  Albania, Montenegro, Croatia. I want to see Budva, Kotor and Dubrovnik. I  want to visit Lake Skadar, ancient cities where the muezzin calls and numerous Croatian Islands.

I'm excited, because it looks like it's going to be a real adventure.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 3

On 10/27/2021 at 10:36 PM, Graeme said:

It's a lovely, but kinda bittersweet read, this thread. All these people making travel plans for 2020, completely oblivious to the way that year (and this one) were going to go.

Yeah, I was scheduled to go to Mexico to visit my father in March 2020. Have not been down there at all....but he will travel to TX where my brother lives for this Thanksgiving! Can't wait to see him. :heart:

• Like 1

Went to brač in croatia a couple of weeks ago. Really beatiful, apparently there's loads of tourists there in the summer, but going there "off season" was really nice. The locals were really friendly. Going to prague over new years as well. Loved it the last time I was there.

• Like 1

Taking off for LA first thing in the morning. Only going to be there until late Sunday night but it's going to be so much fun. I get to hang out with my best friend from high school the whole time. We're going to see the Pink Floyd - Their Mortal Remains exhibit tomorrow. So excited! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Taking off for LA first thing in the morning. Only going to be there until late Sunday night but it's going to be so much fun. I get to hang out with my best friend from high school the whole time. We're going to see the Pink Floyd - Their Mortal Remains exhibit tomorrow. So excited! 

Have you ever been to the Frolic Room?

Going to Disneyland Paris in January. Hoping it will be low crowd levels due to the time of year and the global pandemic..... fingers crossed I won't have to queue for 90 minutes to get on Crush's Coaster this time :lol:

If I could have any career in the world I would love to be a theme park vlogger. Imagine getting paid to just fanny about in theme parks every day, travelling the world and riding coasters. Sounds awesome, except for the whole "having to vlog" part :rofl-lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paris in January for my birthday was cancelled due to Frances covid restrictions :(

This last week my girlfriend handed in her resignation in preparation for us moving to Poland for 3 months in April so thats some good news :D

Btw @Dazey if you still need a place for your wife/kid you could maybe look at trustedhousesitters.com. I've not used the site myself but it looks pretty interesting. They'd get to live in someones house for free in exchange for looking after the owners home/pets/plants/etc. You can search by "duration" so you can look for a home available for say 6+ months if they wont want to move about to much.

Edited by willl