Foxy Shazam: New Album "The Heart Behead You" Out Now

Gordon Comstock

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 5:39 AM, Mysteron said:

I agree, Dreamer sounds better than Burn, but they still seem to have lost their way a little. The melodies in some of their earlier material was amazing.

Agreed. Not bad, and way better than Gonzo, but not quite the self titled or  The Church of Rock N Roll

• Gordon Comstock changed the title to Foxy Shazam new single "The Rose"
  • Gordon Comstock changed the title to Foxy Shazam: "The Rose" Out Now + New Album Out December 11
  • Gordon Comstock changed the title to Foxy Shazam: New Album "Burn" Out December 11, New Single "The Rose" out now

I hope it isn't an Eric solo album disguised as a Foxy Shazam album, but honestly I'll take what I can get. They're not bad songs, and Foxy changed styles with every other record, so I'm still excited for this album. The singles aren't great by any means but singles are rarely the best songs on an album... I don't really have any expectations for how the rest of the album will sound though.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I didn't realize they ditched a bunch of the band. Very lame. 

Loren's in the music video for Dreamer but he might be out of the band now? I assume he's still on the album. But yea it's been known for a while that they got a new bassist and drummer.

What did you think of Full Moon? It's better than the Foxy singles IMO.

edit: music video for Full Moon is out now

Edited by Gordon Comstock

• 1 month later...

The album is out there. I'm hyped and listening to it for the 4th or 5th time now. Trying to be objective I'd say it's a 7/10, maybe a 6.5/10. It has some gems and some filler, it's good but could've been better.

Dreamscape 2020 and Suffering are the standouts, IMO. Dreamscape is what I was hoping for from a modern Foxy album, and Suffering sounds like a nice hybrid between Church Of Rock N Roll and Gonzo. In My Mind is a solid little pop-rock song, it wouldn't have been out of place on Church. SYAAF (Say you are a friend) is good too, it also wouldn't have been out of place on Church or Gonzo, and they mention Axl Rose in the second verse. :lol:

Into The Wild is the worst song ever released on a Foxy album though. The new drummer does the lead vocals, and it's basically an autotuned rap over a drum-less, minimalist instrumental. Never Ever is similar, but it's definitely better than Into The Wild. Doomed is ok, not bad but kind of forgettable. The Rose fits better in the context of the album, but it's still their weakest album closer.

• Gordon Comstock changed the title to Foxy Shazam: New Album "Burn" Out Now
4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anyone else heard it yet? @ZoSoRose @Stiff Competition

If you haven't heard the full album, start with these:

Those songs were pretty good! Suffering is the best of the bunch. I would say from what I have heard, the record is a step in the right direction (I really did not enjoy Gonzo), but still not as good as Church. I'll listen to the whole thing this weekend.

Either way, I am glad they are back even if they are missing a few members I really liked.

• Like 1

I have fond memories of these dudes in 2012, its fun to think about. Can't believe that was almost a decade ago.

I saw The Darkness at a really small venue in Detroit at the start of the year, Foxy opened and I had never heard of them. Needless to say, they blew us the fuck away and me and my group became instant fans. The Darkness kicked ass, too, but I think I walked away from that show thinking about Foxy's performance more. Its crazy to think they topped The Darkness considering Justin Hawkins jumped into the audience during a guitar solo from the balcony. The theater literally shook during Foxy's set, though. I have never experienced anything like it. After the gig, they were hanging out and I talked with Daisy (their old bassist) and Eric quite a bit. I didn't have cash, but Daisy gave me a copy of Church of RNR for free and said "get me next time". I got it signed by Eric. Still have it somewhere.

A few months later they came back and basically played a bar in my college town. It was a fucking blast. Wilson opened up, and they actually got pretty big in the years since. Show was fucking nuts, just like the first but longer. I had to actually go to the back because they kicked my ass so much. Saw Daisy after the gig, again, and gave him $5 for the album.

Then at the end of the year I saw them open up for our very own Slash (and I got to meet Slash before the show, so it was extra memorable!). They were a lot more subdued opening for Slash, but still pretty wild.

Haven't seen them since, but I'd love to again. I'll definitely go next year if they tour. I am bummed they replaced some members, but shit happens. Its good they are back again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Those songs were pretty good! Suffering is the best of the bunch. I would say from what I have heard, the record is a step in the right direction (I really did not enjoy Gonzo), but still not as good as Church. I'll listen to the whole thing this weekend.

Either way, I am glad they are back even if they are missing a few members I really liked.

Agreed about Suffering, it's my favourite track on the album right now.

I've always liked Gonzo but I see why people hated it. A song like Brutal Truth would rock so much harder if it had Church Of RNR style production. But the songwriting was still good on that album even if the lo-fi sound doesn't really do the songs justice.

When I saw them in 2012 it was one of the best shows I've seen. More than 50% of the set was Church songs, and the extended version of The Temple was one of the coolest songs I've ever seen live. I saw them again in 2014 and it was a blast even though there was a bunch of technical issues during the show. Hopefully I'll get to see them again eventually.

• 2 months later...