Slash - It's Five o'clock somewhere released 25 years ago 2/14/95

BadApples87

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-snakepit-its-five-oclock-somewhere/

Slash's Snakepit released It's Five O' Clock Somewhere, 25 years ago today.  GNR was falling apart and Slash was on his way out the door.  I think this is still a really good record.  Would have been interesting to see some of the material on a GNR album, but obviously Axl was in a different direction.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Great album.  I thought the Slash was gonna be the singer when i bought it :lol: I still have my first CD because i thought i'd lost it so i had to get a 2nd one:slash:

I prefer Eric Dover over Rod Jackson

Haha imagine your disappointment when Slash wasn't singing! 

I also prefer Dover. I love this album. Neither Can I and Back And Forth Again are epic

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

• 1 month later...

In the rock mags around during that time -,there was mention of several singers - The cat from raging slab and others 

1 was Slash was rehearsing with a actor from “ Children of the Corn “ and was the leader - Metal Edge  - Still have no idea who that was 

listened to the album once and didnt like it

slash came on tour on my city and i decided not to go

few months later i gave the cd a second try and (no idea why) started enjoying it more and more and more...

to the point of really liking it

well, there was no more slash show for me to attend when that happened!

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

few months later i gave the cd a second try and (no idea why) started enjoying it more and more and more...

Same way I felt when listening to the album first. It took me years to like Ain't Life Grand as well. His two best albums outside of Guns.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, TMAC20 said:

In the rock mags around during that time -,there was mention of several singers - The cat from raging slab and others 

1 was Slash was rehearsing with a actor from “ Children of the Corn “ and was the leader - Metal Edge  - Still have no idea who that was 

I'm sure it wasn't the midget dude who played Isaac.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Same way I felt when listening to the album first. It took me years to like Ain't Life Grand as well. His two best albums outside of Guns.

I must admit it was like that whe  i first heard contraband. After seeing the songs played live when VR toured, i "got" the songs even more.

15 hours ago, ludurigan said:

I listened to it for the first time about a year ago, and didn't like it. Maybe I should give it another shot.

I really liked his 2008 solo album, would have loved to hear something like that with Axl on it. I have not really liked his subsequent work after that.

Loved Velvet Revolver. 

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Ha!

thats funny cause it also happened to me with aint life grand BUT i still cant enjoy it... maybe if i keep trying for some more years hahahahaha, maybe i should give it a try today

i am pretty sure thats because of rod jacksons voice

i tried a lot of times to listen to that album and i can tell that there are cool things going on BUT i cant stand rods voice

same for myles

i would absolutely LOVE to have instrumental versions of everything slash ever recorded with rod and myles

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I listened to it for the first time about a year ago, and didn't like it. Maybe I should give it another shot.

I really liked his 2008 solo album, would have loved to hear something like that with Axl on it. I have not really liked his subsequent work after that.

Loved Velvet Revolver. 

yeah i guess you should, its worthy, thats probably the album where slash sound more bluesy like he did on GNR

i like that 2008 solo album too, some very good songs on it, good singers

i am a bit divided about axl singing it. if you are talking GNR Axl, i am all for it

(my appreciation for axl and gnr is so big that i think that back then in the early 90s george w bush should have declared axl and guns n roses as "national american treasures" and should have asked them to record as many songs as possible in order to provide good music for the american people and for the world hahahahaha)

but if you are talking after'GNR axl then i just dont know, can you see him doing any good to those slash 2008 songs by singing the way he did on his album with that voice and that delivery?

12 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

but if you are talking after'GNR axl then i just dont know, can you see him doing any good to those slash 2008 songs by singing the way he did on his album with that voice and that delivery?

Axl hasn't left GN'R since the band was created. :)

He still has it, in the studio especially. Angel Down, and on some of the leaked tracks, and on CD. His cleaner singing was by choice. I like all of his styles. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

He still has it, in the studio especially. Angel Down, and on some of the leaked tracks, and on CD. His cleaner singing was by choice. I like all of his styles. 

hopefully you are correct and hopefully he can give us some good recordings in the future

yeah i know the clean voice was his choice and that is absolutely crazy to me, how is it possible that the best singer ever gets to choose to sing like that is beyond me

what annoys me more is that he sings and sounds like a broken, defeated man

it is the opposite of gnr axl when it was more like "listen all of you, you are not gonna put me down, no matter how fucking hard you try" etc

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

hopefully you are correct and hopefully he can give us some good recordings in the future

yeah i know the clean voice was his choice and that is absolutely crazy to me, how is it possible that the best singer ever gets to choose to sing like that is beyond me

what annoys me more is that he sings and sounds like a broken, defeated man

it is the opposite of gnr axl when it was more like "listen all of you, you are not gonna put me down, no matter how fucking hard you try" etc

I prefer a blend of his clean and "rasp" voice. The rasp sounds forced, today anyways. The This I Love remix where he is 100% rasp sounds awful to me, just like senseless yelling in that voice as opposed to his more natural range. Songs like Hardschool, The Blues, and Scraped really show a lot of his range. I suppose in the end, different strokes for different folks. The Rapid Fire CD which was recorded years before AFD also has Axl singing cleanly in some songs.