Video Footage of Marquee stint in 87

17 minutes ago, Steve1899 said:

Hello everyone. I'm sorry to push this old thread up but I do have footage of 2 of those Marquee gigs.

I'm friends with the Quireboys, back then Queerboys, did a bit of roadie work and recorded them back in the days. The Marquee was like our 2nd living room for a while and they played the night after GNR's first night and GNR came to watch their gig which more or less got them the support spot a few months later at the Hammersmith.

I don't want to bore you so to shorten the story, I taped quite a lot of their first and second night at the Marquee and also the Hammersmith gig. I haven't checked the tapes in like 30 years and actually just dug them up 2 weeks ago. Also need to find a way to transfer the old tapes but if you guys are interested in the footage I'll put it up somewhere after I transferred them.

So let me know and I see what I can do.

Dude. We need to see this!!!!!

1 hour ago, Steve1899 said:

Hello everyone. I'm sorry to push this old thread up but I do have footage of 2 of those Marquee gigs.

I'm friends with the Quireboys, back then Queerboys, did a bit of roadie work and recorded them back in the days. The Marquee was like our 2nd living room for a while and they played the night after GNR's first night and GNR came to watch their gig which more or less got them the support spot a few months later at the Hammersmith.

I don't want to bore you so to shorten the story, I taped quite a lot of their first and second night at the Marquee and also the Hammersmith gig. I haven't checked the tapes in like 30 years and actually just dug them up 2 weeks ago. Also need to find a way to transfer the old tapes but if you guys are interested in the footage I'll put it up somewhere after I transferred them.

this deserve a own topic! Please, it would be nice.

Wow - that’s cool!

@FRANSAD is the one who needs to know about this. He is an expert with this kind of stuff. 👍

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Steve1899 said:

There’s some excellent people on here who you can trust to help with this.

Thanks for being willing to share! 

5 hours ago, Steve1899 said:

Are you still in the London area? 

OMG, please let this be true. And if so, please, I beg of you good people of Earth to try and work in unison to bring such precious diamonds to shed enlightenment to all of us. 

A simple gaze at the best RNR band in history being close, so very close to their peak... just getting ecstatic at the thought of what it would be like. Photos and audio alone have sufficed for 34 years, but a video source. It would be like finding the Fountain of Youth...

7 hours ago, Steve1899 said:

Nah man, we don't want to see that.... OF COURSE WE DO WOW WOW WOW WOW!

Hate to be a pessimist, but this is not the first time someone claimed to have video footage of the Marquee only to never deliver. 
This was your first post which I find odd as well. 
I’ll believe it when I see it. Hopefully I’m wrong but I’m very skeptical that after 34 years you decide to join this gnr group, make 1 post, then disappear for hours later. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steve1899 said:

That would be epic - how did the quality hold up ? I had got my hands on some old Rose Tattoo audio tapes that were a similar story and did a bit of research and ended up taking them to professionals to transfer over - they did a few things like baking the tapes to ensure they got them in the best condition before transferring them. I assume there is similar best practice for VHS, but I'd defintiely recommend looking around for the most professional outfit given how rare what you have in your hands is.

This is the first time I've ever heard of any footage from the Hammersmith Odeon show and that was one of GN'Rs best based on the audio and reports at the time. - would be great to see a bit.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 3:22 AM, SoulMonster said:

They did of course do three shows. Slash has a somewhat unreliable memory.

For even the sober recalling all the shows they performed back then would be challenging. When you add in the hard drugs and alcohol, it'd virtually be impossible.

I'm sure they recall playing a particular venue -- especially those they've played multiple times -- but recalling specific shows unless something significant occurred at that show would be extremely difficult for most everyone.

I don't think it's as simple as SLASH not having a reliable memory even if he was sober back in those days.

How many sets did GN'R perform between 1985 and 1993? Around 500ish??

Accurately recalling how many times you played a venue or when you played a venue would be akin to recalling the names of most the groupies and/or superfans they met.

Outside of the most memorable, most everything else is going to blend together if remembered at all.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, thunderram said:

For even the sober recalling all the shows they performed back then would be challenging. When you add in the hard drugs and alcohol, it'd virtually be impossible.

I'm sure they recall playing a particular venue -- especially those they've played multiple times -- but recalling specific shows unless something significant occurred at that show would be extremely difficult for most everyone.

I don't think it's as simple as SLASH not having a reliable memory even if he was sober back in those days.

How many sets did GN'R perform between 1985 and 1993? Around 500ish??

Accurately recalling how many times you played a venue or when you played a venue would be akin to recalling the names of most the groupies and/or superfans they met.

Outside of the most memorable, most everything else is going to blend together if remembered at all.

What I meant was simply that out of the band members, Slash seems to have the most problems remembering accurately, for whatever reasons. I am not saying his memory is bad as such -- I can barely remember things from yesterday -- just that his memory is unreliable when it comes to GN'R stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve1899 said:

This is the most interesting news in a long time!!

When you say you recorded quite a lot is that implying most of the show or a song or two? Either way is fantastic by the way I'm just very intrigued! :)

• Like 1

Yes

Don't get me wrong but I didn't think that there would be replies that fast. Also I have other things to do. But it's fine when you don't believe me and want to wait until there is footage to show.

As I said I didn't check the tapes since like 30 years. They were stored up well, so they should be fine. It's Video8 tapes by the way, no VHS. I never transferred them.

Unfortunately lots of folk have falsely claimed to have rare recordings over the years which is why this might be met with scepticism…..!

I’m a glass half full type of person so I’m willing this to be legit. And there are folk within the community (see my previous post) who would be best placed to help you…and in turn make lots of fans VERY happy! 👍

41 minutes ago, Steve1899 said:

The first Marquee night is definitely incomplete but I don't know anymore how much I recorded. The second is complete with a lot of other footage from that night. Same goes for the Hammersmith.

Holy crap, once again if this is legit, please do release it all in some form. Hope the current band management doesn't get to hear of it, cuz we all know what's gonna happen then. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1