L' Arc 2010

One of the best concerts I've ever been to, along with the London show with Duff. Still got my (signed) setlist, weirdly it has IRS on it. Wonder what an acoustic version of that would have sounded like...

A fan asked Axl about a new album after the show, and his response was along the lines of "Let's see what our deal with the label is".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Amir said:

One of the best concerts I've ever been to, along with the London show with Duff. Still got my (signed) setlist, weirdly it has IRS on it. Wonder what an acoustic version of that would have sounded like...

A fan asked Axl about a new album after the show, and his response was along the lines of "Let's see what our deal with the label is".

How'd you found out about the show?

3 hours ago, Amir said:

I was on MyGNRForum the night of the show while in Paris, because I'd flown there for the Bercy show (Bercy was my first GNR gig). I remember thinking, "Wow, wish I could go", and then thinking, "Well, guess I could go to the club and try my luck".

Got there 9pm, tried to get in with a couple of different groups who had friends who couldn't go for various reasons, kept getting turned away by a bouncer. Midnight and a couple of guys approached me and some other fans and said they couldn't be bothered waiting any more and if we wanted their wristbands. They only wanted 10 or 15 euros for them, which I couldn't believe and handed over the money in a heartbeat. Put the wristband on, the bouncer had changed to a cooler dude, and I got in :)

I remember seeing Beta almost as soon as I walked in and instinctively said "Hi Beta!" and she waved back and smiled awkwardly at the stranger who had said hello to her :P

The band turned up at 1am. Axl said "I would've got here sooner but... <rubbing his head to imply a hangover from partying the night before> that just wasn't possible" :lol:

Whole thing was surreal. Hung outside the club with fans after the show to get Axl's autograph finally at 5:30am.

Wow... that's fucking awesome. Good for you! :)

But was the show announced as official or was it one of those pop-up shows you found about on the forum?

Btw... those were the times, right? GNR shows starting at 1 am? :D

Btw. part 2. Where did you meet Axl? You avatar looks like some private party?

Edited by scooby845

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

Wow... that's fucking awesome. Good for you! :)

But was the show announced as official or was it one of those pop-up shows you found about on the forum?

Btw... those were the times, right? GNR shows starting at 1 am? :D

Btw. part 2. Where did you meet Axl? You avatar looks like some private party?

The show wasn't announced until like a few hours before, I think the scuttlebutt started on HTGTH before getting to MyGNR but I remember grabbing the only half-decent shirt I had and running out the door from my CouchSurfing host :lol:

Funny reading through the original thread now. All I had was an iPod touch with no camera, what a shame :'( 

The photo in my avatar is from Glasgow 2012, just hung outside the arena after the show since I didn't have a train back to St Andrews until early in the morning any way :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SAU3R said:

I've never heard of the Abu Dhabi fiasco, can someone tell me what happened there? 

More MSL scuttlebutt. I am too lazy to look up the original post, but it came down to rumors that Tommy Stinson was refusing to take the stage before this show, that the rest of the band was fed up with him being a drunken asshole, and that Axl had been in clsoed-door talks with Duff about possibly re-joining the group. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

12 minutes ago, Amir said:

The show wasn't announced until like a few hours before, I think the scuttlebutt started on HTGTH before getting to MyGNR but I remember grabbing the only half-decent shirt I had and running out the door from my CouchSurfing host :lol:

Funny reading through the original thread now. All I had was an iPod touch with no camera, what a shame :'( 

The photo in my avatar is from Glasgow 2012, just hung outside the arena after the show since I didn't have a train back to St Andrews until early in the morning any way :P

Wow. You're one lucky motherfucker!

What's with the guys driving skateboard in the background? :lol:

• GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

2010 > 2006

FIGHT ME

Both great years when it comes to vocals.

I attended shows both in 2006 and 2010 and I liked 2006 better because it had less of a Vegas revue and more of what I consider a real GNR vibe, could have been because I was lucky to catch a show with Izzy.

To this day I would prefer an unplugged gig with just Axl and Izzy going all singer-songwriter style on acoustic guitar and piano for 90 minutes over any 3 hour NITL show.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I almost agree because Axl had a bit more of throaty rasp and more body, but 2006/2007 Axl was incredible and consistent and he was far less breathless than 2010 onwards. Fight me :D 

I love 2010 but there were a few songs like Better where the full-on rasp didn't work.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

More MSL scuttlebutt. I am too lazy to look up the original post, but it came down to rumors that Tommy Stinson was refusing to take the stage before this show, that the rest of the band was fed up with him being a drunken asshole, and that Axl had been in clsoed-door talks with Duff about possibly re-joining the group. 

Tommy's tweets (now deleted) pre-Abu Dhabi did seem like he was really pissed off. Who knows what was happening for sure, though :shrugs:

9 hours ago, Dean said:

DJ Ashba to be fired from the band and then the band to be dissolved and then the whole fiasco in Abu Dhabi which was supposedly going to lead to more firings. 

Refresh my memory on this part as I seemingly have no recollection of these 2 parts haha. Not calling you out at all, I'm just dumb a lot of the time. 

3 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Refresh my memory on this part as I seemingly have no recollection of these 2 parts haha. Not calling you out at all, I'm just dumb a lot of the time. 

Axl’s tweets canceling the 2010 tour that was the result of an alleged hacking. Re-appears in that document list along with DJ to be fired and sued. I believe the table of contents of the documents listed the shenanigans surrounding Abu Dhabi and Tommy too, and the possibility of Duff rejoining. Plus there was rumors of friction among them during this time. Mad as I’m sure it was that side of the world they done a brief promo vid, Axl included, where Dizzy talks about being locked out of his hotel room etc

This is all from memory of 10 years ago, I tried sourcing info earlier for Sauer, but I’d be at it for ages. It’s all out there somewhere. 

• Like 1

Maybe what happened wasn't in between Abu Dhabi '10 and Rio '11. I like to think whatever happened, happened midconcert in Rio '11, or just before it. Going Down was on the setlist, they rehearsaled Oh My God. Then we got a two/three hours late start with a sad Axl on a soaked stage. He had a face like something had just been broken.

Who knows.

• Like 2

Well, it's a shame that youtube links are no longer allowed, but by Abu Dhabi in dec 2010 Axl was already starting to struggle a bit with his voice. His performance was still very acceptable, specially by todays standards, but there was already a very noticeable difference from earlier shows such as the acoustic ones or Paris or Budapest. 

It's more prominent on some songs than it is in others. YCBM for instance is a great example. In Arnheim, Budapest or Dublin Axl gave monstrous, full on rasp versions of it. By Abu Dhabi he was already full mickey on it. There are other songs where the fall is apparent (Better, RQ), but YCBM is the clearest one. 

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

Well, it's a shame that youtube links are no longer allowed, but by Abu Dhabi in dec 2010 Axl was already starting to struggle a bit with his voice. His performance was still very acceptable, specially by todays standards, but there was already a very noticeable difference from earlier shows such as the acoustic ones or Paris or Budapest. 

It's more prominent on some songs than it is in others. YCBM for instance is a great example. In Arnheim, Budapest or Dublin Axl gave monstrous, full on rasp versions of it. By Abu Dhabi he was already full mickey on it. There are other songs where the fall is apparent (Better, RQ), but YCBM is the clearest one. 

True, I listened to some of the Adelaide 2010 show not long ago and while he still sounded pretty great, he sounded a bit 'worn down'. The shows in the first half of 2010 were kinda like the 1991 shows where he went full-throttle, rasped the fuck out of lots of songs, and just powered through those shows like the Metal God that he used to be. Near the end of 2010, his voice was more like 1993 - still lots of power and rasp but it was noticeably 'thinner' than the previous legs of the tour.

On 22/02/2020 at 9:05 PM, Pedrolg said:

I went to the Arnhem show, that's the best I heard Axl do live. He was on fire that night. Spent half of the raspy part of Don't Cry trying to get a piece of gum from under his shoe without losing a note or going Mickey.

Where'd that guy go, and where was he when CD was recorded :(

1 hour ago, UcudBmine said:

I went to the Arnhem show, that's the best I heard Axl do live. He was on fire that night. Spent half of the raspy part of Don't Cry trying to get a piece of gum from under his shoe without losing a note or going Mickey.

Where'd that guy go, and where was he when CD was recorded :(

Yea it's crazy that the best vocals from the CD-era weren't actually on the album, they were on Angel Down and a remix track. :no:

The seemingly effortless rasp, the charisma, the anger, the unpredictability... 2010 was really the last year of 'classic' Axl Rose. The guy tried to punch a paparazzi photographer at an airport, tried to cancel his tour on twitter, had several incidents during live shows, and he was still the best frontman on the the planet. But he's older and wider now so it's not surprising that he isn't as good as he used to be :lol:

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 6:05 AM, Amir said:

I was on MyGNRForum the night of the show while in Paris, because I'd flown there for the Bercy show (Bercy was my first GNR gig). I remember thinking, "Wow, wish I could go", and then thinking, "Well, guess I could go to the club and try my luck".

Got there 9pm, tried to get in with a couple of different groups who had friends who couldn't go for various reasons, kept getting turned away by a bouncer. Midnight and a couple of guys approached me and some other fans and said they couldn't be bothered waiting any more and if we wanted their wristbands. They only wanted 10 or 15 euros for them, which I couldn't believe and handed over the money in a heartbeat. Put the wristband on, the bouncer had changed to a cooler dude, and I got in :)

I remember seeing Beta almost as soon as I walked in and instinctively said "Hi Beta!" and she waved back and smiled awkwardly at the stranger who had said hello to her :P

The band turned up at 1am. Axl said "I would've got here sooner but... <rubbing his head to imply a hangover from partying the night before> that just wasn't possible" :lol:

Whole thing was surreal. Hung outside the club with fans after the show to get Axl's autograph finally at 5:30am.

L’ARC was the day after Bercy correct? Because I was in Paris for the Bercy show and caught a flight the next morning to go home. And I remember being upset I couldn’t go to L’ARC. Do I have the timeline right? 

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea it's crazy that the best vocals from the CD-era weren't actually on the album, they were on Angel Down and a remix track. :no:

The seemingly effortless rasp, the charisma, the anger, the unpredictability... 2010 was really the last year of 'classic' Axl Rose. The guy tried to punch a paparazzi photographer at an airport, tried to cancel his tour on twitter, had several incidents during live shows, and he was still the best frontman on the the planet. But he's older and wider now so it's not surprising that he isn't as good as he used to be :lol:

Older and wider. Was that intentional?😄