Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

3 hours ago, action said:

you'll be fine ZoSoRose. at the end of the day, the chances of getting it, let alone get very sick because of it, are relatively small.

every day that goes by, with not getting it, is a day won.

You are right. Plus, I "magically" feel better after getting tested (back is still bad). Funny how the mind works

Hey @DieselDaisy, you have always argued that China is responsible for Covid-19 and should pay for damages since the virus evolved there and spread to other countries without them being able to stop it. How about the new variant of the virus discovered in England, and presumably evolved there, with a possible 70% higher infectioness, which has now spread to other countries? Should England now pay damages for all people sick and dead from this virus? :lol: 

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hey @DieselDaisy, you have always argued that China is responsible for Covid-19 and should pay for damages since the virus evolved there and spread to other countries without them being able to stop it. How about the new variant of the virus discovered in England, and presumably evolved there, with a possible 70% higher infectioness, which has now spread to other countries? Should England now pay damages for all people sick and dead from this virus? :lol: 

If the Brits were to be held responsible for spreading viruses abroad the Spanish would have sued us back to the stone age by now. :lol: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Every 1000th American has now died from Covid-19. 

Yeah, saw that on CNN. More of that mutant virus is moving around the world. I'm sure it's already in America. I think this covid virus has a brain and is moving on to another version since we have a vaccine now. I know this virus attacks your lungs, but it also has fucked up your other organs including the brain. Maybe it's getting smarter now? I'm not kidding. I bet it is a super virus. Next up, zombies.

44 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If the Brits were to be held responsible for spreading viruses abroad the Spanish would have sued us back to the stone age by now. :lol: 

Honestly, what does it matter who started it. We all should work together to get rid of it, but with Trump as President, that will never happen.

Millions of  Americans will be out of benefits by this weekend and yet he won't sign that new deal. I do understand him objecting to the US giving other counties aid, but Americans need aid now. Sometimes you have to negotiate for the good of your people. Dumb shit!

If this shit continues, I can see the US having another civil war, only this time it'll be all of the US against the government.

47 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Every country in the world has fucked up at one time or another. We are paying for it right now. Why do you think we have this virus?

17 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think this covid virus has a brain and is moving on to another version since we have a vaccine now. 

More precisely: The virus mutates all the time resulting in there being thousands of different virus variants existing at the same time. Then, when we start using vaccines, the majority of these variants, or ideally all of them, will die out. Some might survive though, because they happened to have mutations that allow them to escape the triggered immune system. So it is the other way around, the virus doesn't mutate as a result of vaccines, the vaccines kills off those virus strains that haven't mutated "far enough". You make it seem like the virus is sentient and decides to mutate as a result of having to change to survive. 

If some virus variant survives, while all others due out because of vaccination, that is called a "genetic bottleneck" because the virus' population loses genetic diversity and becomes more genetically homogenous. It goes from being genetically diverse with thousands of variants, to being reduced to only a few.

The surviving strains may not be as deadly as those that dies out, if for instance they are not entirely able to escape the immune system. This is one of the reasons why we should never end an antibiotic cure too soon: We risk not entirely wiping out those bacterial strains that have some resistance to the antibiotic, resulting in these surviving and potentially mutating further into variants that are entirely resistant to the antibiotic. 

It is a common misconception that mutations arise when they are needed. So that when we start vaccinating us, a virus will mutate to evade the charged immune system. Nope. The charged immune system causes some mutations already existing to be greatly beneficial. Or more technically: vaccinations presents a new selection pressure where some mutations confer a higher fitness. 

A conclusion from this is that a species should ideally have large genetic variation. Such a species is more likely to survive a new threat because hopefully one individual will have a genetic makeup suitable to survive this new challenge, whereas a species with low genetic variation is much more vulnerable to new threaths. 

An analogy is perhaps that even if you really like to hammer nails, you shouldn't throw out all your other tools. Suddenly you might find yourself with a need for a saw. 

We humans are genetically very homogenous. And interestingly, the vast majority of genetic variation (>90%) in humans is found in Africa. We Europeans are not good at realising this. 

Anyways, having a genetic pool with lots of different mutations is often beneficial to a species. Especially human pathogens who need to cope with all the stuff we throw at them, including antibiotics and enhanced immune systems. 

Viruses also tend to accumulate mutations quickly. Take SARS-CoV-2 for instance, it is an RNA virus meaning that it is more susceptible to damage (than viruses based on DNA). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It is a common misconception that mutations arise when they are needed. So that when we start vaccinating us, a virus will mutate to evade the charged immune system. Nope. The charged immune system causes some mutations already existing to be greatly beneficial. Or more technically: vaccinations presents a new selection pressure where some mutations confer a higher fitness. 

A conclusion from this is that a species should ideally have large genetic variation. Such a species is more likely to survive a new threat because hopefully one individual will have a genetic makeup suitable to survive this new challenge, whereas a species with low genetic variation is much more vulnerable to new threaths. 

An analogy is perhaps that even if you really like to hammer nails, you shouldn't throw out all your other tools. Suddenly you might find yourself with a need for a saw. 

We humans are genetically very homogenous. And interestingly, the vast majority of genetic variation (>90%) in humans is found in Africa. We Europeans are not good at realising this. 

Anyways, having a genetic pool with lots of different mutations is often beneficial to a species. Especially human pathogens who need to cope with all the stuff we throw at them, including antibiotics and enhanced immune systems. 

Viruses also tend to accumulate mutations quickly. Take SARS-CoV-2 for instance, it is an RNA virus meaning that it is more susceptible to damage (than viruses based on DNA). 

Well duh! :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I'm looking into Costa Rica for our post pandemic trip

Good choice!

My current plan for after the pandemic is a 2-week camping trip through Oman, but I’ll guess that’ll be possible in a year from now at best

Btw, do we have a travel or vacation thread on here?

they're predicting a new "roaring 20s" and I can certainly see that happening too.

If this epidemy lasts longer, then there will be a cultural reaction when things are back to normal. There will be allowed more, taboos will be broken, I predict political correctness dying a certain death.

But for that to happen, the epidemy must last a couple of years longer (I don't want this of course!). If it ends now, I do not see it happening. But imagine, if this nightmare lasts for another 3-4 years, and then it stops, do you imagine creativity being stopped by something as futile as political correctness, when we're coming of the back of 4 years of absolute sorrow?

People will actually start to reaslise what is really important in life: your health. But this is a slow and difficult process. I'm not sure people are quite there yet. In the midst of corona, there still seems to be room for diversions like political correctness. But you can already clearly notice, more and more people being fed up with it, and having more urgent matters at hand.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, action said:

they're predicting a new "roaring 20s" and I can certainly see that happening too.

If this epidemy lasts longer, then there will be a cultural reaction when things are back to normal. There will be allowed more, taboos will be broken, I predict political correctness dying a certain death.

But for that to happen, the epidemy must last a couple of years longer (I don't want this of course!). If it ends now, I do not see it happening. But imagine, if this nightmare lasts for another 3-4 years, and then it stops, do you imagine creativity being stopped by something as futile as political correctness, when we're coming of the back of 4 years of absolute sorrow?

People will actually start to reaslise what is really important in life: your health. But this is a slow and difficult process. I'm not sure people are quite there yet. In the midst of corona, there still seems to be room for diversions like political correctness. But you can already clearly notice, more and more people being fed up with it, and having more urgent matters at hand.

Don't care to predict the consequence., but I now know how something like the Third Reich could occur from a democratic country like (Weimer) Germany. I have read - own - a multitude of books on that subject and don't now believe I understood a thing about ''the process'' until witnessing 2020 in the United Kingdom. Servile masses obedient to reiterated governmental propaganda statements. Hysterical public umbrage over (non-abeyance of) totem iconography (the mask!) and behaviour. ''Wrong'' opinions obliterated from democratic discourse, and drowned out in a cacophony of stupidity and insults. Centuries of libertarian tradition and legislation eradicated within weeks. An Orwellian nightmare in just one year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't care to predict the consequence., but I now know how something like the Third Reich could occur from a democratic country like (Weimer) Germany. I have read - own - a multitude of books on that subject and don't now believe I understood a thing about ''the process'' until witnessing 2020 in the United Kingdom. Servile masses obedient to reiterated governmental propaganda statements. Hysterical public umbrage over (non-abeyance of) totem iconography (the mask!) and behaviour. ''Wrong'' opinions obliterated from democratic discourse, and drowned out in a cacophony of stupidity and insults. Centuries of libertarian tradition and legislation eradicated within weeks. An Orwellian nightmare in just one year.

couldn't fucking agree more.

I'm the biggest cynic you'll ever meet, but this year has seriously scared me shitless. Not because of corona, but because of the social mechanics you just described.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

don't forget the changing of truths overnights, and being accepted by the mindless mass (this includes the experts) without as much as a second thought.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, action said:

don't forget the changing of truths overnights, and being accepted by the mindless mass (this includes the experts) without as much as a second thought.

To paraphrase Star Wars, these are not the scientists you are looking for, https://gbdeclaration.org/

And social media companies ''censoring'' differing opinions on subjects such as the vaccines! 

Forgot to mention the policing who have been acting like Nazis the world over - some of the footage is utterly deplorable. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

To paraphrase Star Wars, these are not the scientists you are looking for, https://gbdeclaration.org/

Forgot to mention the policing who have been acting like Nazis the world over - some of the footage is utterly deplorable. 

there's also a markable increase of snitchers who report lockdown parties to the police. in the 30's we got german housewives reporting jews staying with the neighbours, now we got the same old wives reporting corona parties.

• Haha 1