4 hours ago, action said:

the common characteristic of these people, which I admire in all of them, is that they are all self-made men. determined, hard working people.

in the absence of any meaningfull altruistic sentiments in society in general, hard work is the only thing left that keeps it all together.

Hard work, fuels the economy and keeps you happy on a personal level.

I don't know many hard working people who have depression. Only depressed people I know are sitting on their lazy bums in the sofa, moaning and complaining.

When you work hard, you don't have time for depression.

if you have the attitude that you want to get everything in life for free, you won't get where these dudes are.

success in everything is about hard work, not about being a bum

Max Weber eat your heart out.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the fuck do they know? If I'm looking for advice from a rock band on how viruses are transmitted I will ask Queen thank you very much.

The mother of my aunt just died from covid19 in the Netherlands. No funeral and she can't go there. This situation is so fucked up.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I do actually. For a lot of people depression is caused by a chemical imbalance and then it doesn't matter how hard or little you work. 

hard work can stimulate certain happiness chemicals in your brain, restoring that imbalance.

I'm just done with an afternoon in the garden, pruning my 3 meter high hague. I'm using one of those electric cutters on a stick, 2 meters in lenght. You sure do feel that in your arms. For the other side, I need to manoever in a space of 40 cm, keeping that cutter above my head.

I think I drank a bucket of water afterwards, tired as a dog.

I guess this is how it feels when you snorted a fine line of coke (not that I would know about that, I never did that sort of stuff, but still.)

In all that time while I was busy, I forgot all my problems. 

Edited by action
3 hours ago, Graeme said:

The biggest lie of capitalism is that it's a meritocracy where your level of success is determined by how hard you work. The hardest-working people on the planet right now will almost certainly be some of the poorest. 

Also, your conclusions about hard work and depression really have no scientific basis, I'd politely ask you to reconsider them because the implications are pretty insulting to people who suffer from poor mental health - being told that their problems are down to laziness would definitely not be helpful.

"hard work" has different meanings though. you can fill it in however you want. Being busy, doing something meaningfull, doing "a work", whatever that means (collecting stamps can be hard work, in this sense, though for me it's working a spade), is the very foundation of happiness.

What else can an empty, meaningless life lead to, but depression?

I can not imagine that someone would be depressed, while leading a full life where one pursues his dreams and interests.

I know very well what depression is.

If depressed people should read this, then I hope they chose not to be insulted by my advice, but on the contrary draw some inspiration out of it, to make their lives better. It's the real sickness of these times, that people chose to be insulted by everything, rather than work on their problems. They don't need to do it for me, but only for themselves.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, action said:

Like, you didn’t even once think about how there’s women that you don’t like in Terminator?

Or, you didn’t even ever think about how there’s women in Star Wars that you don’t like?

I mean, you must have at least thought about how much advanced degrees bother you - surely??

:lol:

Edited by soon
30 minutes ago, action said:

hard work can stimulate certain happiness chemicals in your brain, restoring that imbalance.

First off, what has this got to do with COVID-19?

Secondly, you are again conflating complex phenomena, fuddle others and make it all worse by generalising from personal experiences. It is true that physical activity (not work in general) can prevent and reduce depressions (but it doesn't happen by restoring any imbalances, as you claim), but that doesn't mean that people who work hard (or exercise hard) can't develop depression. It is simply not as simple as simpletons like to think. And quite frankly, when you know you know as little as you know, you should know better than to present your rambling stream-of-consciousness as facts.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
28 minutes ago, action said:

I'm just done with an afternoon in the garden, pruning my 3 meter high hague. I'm using one of those electric cutters on a stick, 2 meters in lenght. You sure do feel that in your arms. For the other side, I need to manoever in a space of 40 cm, keeping that cutter above my head.

I think I drank a bucket of water afterwards, tired as a dog.

I guess this is how it feels when you snorted a fine line of coke (not that I would know about that, I never did that sort of stuff, but still.)

Are you saying that someone can't be depressed who works really hard and pursuits their dream?

Look, I get what you're saying. After a hard day's work you can feel satisfied and there can be a certain feeling of happiness because of it. And if that works for you to keep your troubles away then that is great. But you are not everyone else.

There are a lot more factors that come into play that you seem to ignore. There can be many reasons why someone suffers from depression and then it's irrelevant how much the person in question actually works, and I'm sure you understand this. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
8 hours ago, action said:

the common characteristic of these people, which I admire in all of them, is that they are all self-made men. determined, hard working people.

I ouldn't call Trump a selfmade man, or Johnson. Not sure about the others. But Trump inherited his company and Johnson was a private school pupil and Eton college boy. They may have worked hard, but they aren't selfmade men.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

First off, what has this got to do with COVID-19?

Secondly, you are again conflating complex phenomena, fuddle others and make it all worse by generalising from personal experiences. It is true that physical activity (not work in general) can prevent and reduce depressions (but it doesn't happen by restoring any imbalances, as you claim), but that doesn't mean that people who work hard (or exercise hard) can't develop depression. It is simply not as simple as simpletons like to think. And quite frankly, when you know you know as little as you know, you should know better than to present your rambling stream-of-consciousness as facts.

it was just an innocent observation I made, relax.

I'm the simpleton, you the expert. You give the textbook explanation, I speak from experience.

I quoted a scientific article in response to someone who asked for it, but that's as far as I can go in the field of science. I count on you to surely fill in that gap.

So it's all good, right?

37 minutes ago, soon said:

Like, you didn’t even once think about how there’s women that you don’t like in Terminator?

Or, you didn’t even ever think about how there’s women in Star Wars that you don’t like?

I mean, you must have at least thought about how much advanced degrees bother you - surely??

:lol:

when there's sticks and leaves falling on your head, probably full with bugs and spiders, women in star wars are the least of my problems

I stepped out of bath just now, with a spider sticking on my leg. it must have flushed down there when I sprayed my hair with water. All that time, it lived in my hair.

I gladly would chose a female terminator over that

I tell you, you haven't lived until you stepped out of bath that you just turned into sweaty bug soup.

My mom's cousin's daughter still has the virus or at least she thinks so. Her taste and smell are still gone and yesterday she went for a bike ride and had shortness or breathe. since Florida doesn't re-test, she's not sure when she should go back to work? How can you not re-test a person especially if they are a nurse who works in a hospital? I don't think anyone knows what the hell they should do?

The Texas gov is opening more of the state on June 1. Summer camps and overnight camps will be open. Churches can do services too. More restaurants can be 50% capacity now. Bars can open too.

I know I've seen some owners say they will wear masks and do social distancing, but how many people will do this? When the beach opened people were on the beaches no masks and the smaller bars were open and full.

We have to learn to live with this virus since it's not going away and who knows about a vaccine, so we need to be cautious and realize that we and others can get it at any given time.

Pretty soon it'll be flu season again. I wonder if a flu shot might help since sometimes you still get the flu with a shot? 

My parents pretty much stay inside since they are over 60. Luckily they are retired and have nothing to do outside and it's super hot today near 100 degrees.

I understand younger people want to be out and be with friends, but who knows?

It's seems funny to me since everyone I see is always on their cell phones talking or texting so why do they find it so hard to stay inside?

Stay well.

41 minutes ago, action said:

when there's sticks and leaves falling on your head, probably full with bugs and spiders, women in star wars are the least of my problems

I stepped out of bath just now, with a spider sticking on my leg. it must have flushed down there when I sprayed my hair with water. All that time, it lived in my hair.

I gladly would chose a female terminator over that

I tell you, you haven't lived until you stepped out of bath that you just turned into sweaty bug soup.

I only take showers! Glad the spider came out of your hair.

I have seen so many different kinds of spiders since we moved here to Texas. I stay away from them. If one is in my house, I will scoop it up with a cardboard and put it outside. Not fond of bugs but I don't like to kill them either.

The big news today is Sweden becoming country with highest death rate per capita, 6.08 deaths per million inhabitants, higher than the UK, USA and Italy. Don't act too smug world: it wouldn't suit you! And their prime minister is a social democrat, so there goes the theory that there exists some sort of causal relationship between right-wing government and making a dog's dinner of the corona pandemic! Presumably we will see the same level of vitriol heading Stefan Löfven's way, as people throw at Trump?

Source: Our World in Data.

45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The big news today is Sweden becoming country with highest death rate per capita, 6.08 deaths per million inhabitants, higher than the UK, USA and Italy. Don't act too smug world: it wouldn't suit you! And their prime minister is a social democrat, so there goes the theory that there exists some sort of causal relationship between right-wing government and making a dog's dinner of the corona pandemic! Presumably we will see the same level of vitriol heading Stefan Löfven's way, as people throw at Trump?

Well, that is sad. But I have seen on news shows that Sweden didn't do any social distancing or face masks. They thought by just doing nothing, the virus would run it's course. Obviously, that's not going to happen.  

didn't watch the news today. I know some high schools are going to start training their players and hope to begin sports again.

Texas has high rates of deaths and the virus infection among prisoners in a hospital that have pre-existing conditions.

the police are trying to keep people from gathering in groups, but some just don't listen.

We are going to have to think for ourselves and take care of ourselves and our loved ones. Just try to avoid the stupid people who just refuse to believe how deadly this virus is.

Stay well!

I really hate those commercials that show people I don't know telling me we are in this together! Damn it! if I don't know you how can I be in it with you?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The "wouldn't suit you" part reminded me of Pete Townshend inducting the Stones into the HOF.😄 He said " don't grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you."  Ok, sorry for the aside, carry on.

Edited by lame ass security
5 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Brazil ìs getting hit hard now with C19 

A court in Singapore has sentanced a man too death via Zoom (Skype) due too the C19 situation

I'm sure China and North Korea have killed alot of people who have the virus, but that's what some countries do. I guess no one can stop this horrible way they treat their citizens.

Posted (edited)

Today the Wu Tang Clan announced an official partnership with three charities in Canadas capital city, Ottawa. They've begun selling products to raise money for those programs, as part of the fight against COVID-19.

Products include ready-meals sold to raise money for feeding the programs frontline workers. There's also a Wu Tang/Ottawa t-shirt for sale. And the mayors wearing it. I have got no clue whats going on :lol: Wu Tang is from NYC. But it sure is very cool of the Wu Tang Clan. :headbang:

This follows Wu Tang Clans efforts in early April to donate and raise a couple 100K for those same Ottawa charities. And they did all of this just because a cannabis entrepreneur asked them to.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/wu-tang-clan-supports-ottawa-1.5577224

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-food-bank-170k-1.5520004

Edited by soon
1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, that is sad. But I have seen on news shows that Sweden didn't do any social distancing or face masks. They thought by just doing nothing, the virus would run it's course. Obviously, that's not going to happen.  

The Swedes are being guided by the scientific advice they received, namely from their state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. There was a rational behind their decision making. It wasn't like they just hit the bottle and hoped it would all ''blow over'' haha. 

We are trying to keep transmission rates at a level that the Stockholm health system can sustain...we are just trying to keep the transmission rate as low as possible... Any country that believes it can keep it out will most likely be proven wrong at some stage. We need to learn to live with this disease.

- Tegnell, 28 April 2020, USA TODAY. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/04/28/coronavirus-covid-19-sweden-anders-tegnell-herd-immunity/3031536001/

97% recovered here, thankfully. I'm feeling very fortunate. I heard our tourism sector here for example was $40billion+ a year now it's only $500million. We need to continue being strict while also opening our border to countries like Aussie and Singapore.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Something is wrong with those data? Sweden has 380 deaths per million inhabitants; and Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK and France all have worse statistics. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries)

I also don't think anyone made the argument that only countries with right-wing leaders have mismanaged the domestic epidemic...and if they did, well, that is obviously not correct. 

It is as so often a complex issue where simplifying too much just makes a mess of it. I think not managing the disease properly can be explained by not taking it seriously (Brazil), starting out with the wrong epidemiology model and then changing course (UK, Sweden), having very high population density (New York and other urban hotspots), not being able to ramp up health care infrastructure quick enough (Italy), and so on. Usually there would be a mixture of reasons. And then those countries that do seem to handle it better usually do it because they had a little more extra time to prepare, did the right decisions in the beginning so they didn't get on the back foot (this cannot be emphasized enough; with a disease that grows exponentially, delays of mere days can have a huge impacts on fatalities weeks later), had sparse populations, were able to instigate efficient mitigating measures that were actually followed by their population, etc, and combinations thereof. Politicizing this to be about the left or the right doesn't seem to fit very well, and besides, I don't buy the arguments for why leaders on the political right should inherently be less able to cope with a new disease. 

And there is a big difference between Sweden and USA. Sweden went with an epidemiology model that seemed right to them at start when applied to their domestic situation, but when more data came in and the models changed, they had to change course too (employ more social distancing). A lot of the things they decided not to do, like keep schools open and not focus that much on social distancing seems now, in hindsight, to have been the right decision, but they failed at protecting people at nursing homes and elderly care and now have > 50 % of their deaths at such locations. Basically, Sweden listened to their experts and had a clear strategy. With USA it is more the case of not having a strategy at all, trivializing the disease, saying it will be gone by April, suggesting therapies that aren't evidence-based, failing at coordinating their response across the nation, not having a society that protects the poor, not having a system that provides adequate health care to everybody, etc. So while you might criticise Sweden for going with the wrong model at the start, what USA has done is many-fold worse and eventually this is likely to result in them having a much worse outcome from this pandemic than Sweden, unless they get their shit together.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Total W.W cases now stands @ 5 million

Also yesterday was the biggest 1 day jump in cases in the world since the pandemic started màinly reported from 4 countrys

Edited by Gavin82
3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Something is wrong with those data? Sweden has 380 deaths per million inhabitants; and Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK and France all have worse statistics. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries)

The past 7 days Sweden had the highest death count, I read. So not in total, but past 7 days. Or that's how I understood it anyway.

• Like 1