Jump to content

COVID-19 Outbreak


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think I have said it before, but all philosophers can just go straight and fuck themselves. 

:lol: Here! Here! Well said that man! :lol:  

10 minutes ago, action said:

every decision in our household is made in mutual agreement. Our son is sick with fever and can not attend school anyway.

my decision to let my kid home from school, which I took last sunday evening, has been made by the italian government yesterday when they closed schools in the whole of italy. 300 million children stay at home from school now, and that is coming from a government which is as much concerned with economic growth as possible.

300 million children and they're just Berlusconi's. :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the fuck do they know? If I'm looking for advice from a rock band on how viruses are transmitted I will ask Queen thank you very much.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, action said:

every decision in our household is made in mutual agreement. Our son is sick with fever and can not attend school anyway.

my decision to let my kid home from school, which I took last sunday evening, has been made by the italian government yesterday when they closed schools in the whole of italy. 300 million children stay at home from school now, and that is coming from a government which is as much concerned with economic growth as possible. Are they hysterical too? Am I hysterical because I took the same decision? Again: common sense is my guidance, not hysteria.

I have actually bet with my wife, when belgium is going to follow with closing schools. My bet was on tomorrow, but granted there are too few deaths in belgium (they pretend as if deaths in other countries are non existent) for that to go into practise. The coming days will be interesting, as when the first deaths in belgium come in, belgium will close schools too. Far too late of course, but not for me: that decision was made long ago, in our household.

You don't understand that the fact that there are many more infected in Italy than in Belgium, is the reason for these differences in policies? That in Italy it is not possible to isolate individual people any more so to slow down the spread they have decided to close schools whereas this is not the case, yet, in Belgium? Okay, I will try to explain this to you when I have more time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, soon said:

Philosophy and social theory are among the most scrumptious aspects of being alive. Lately rhetoric and tech philosophy calls my name :heart:

Philosophy and science are like the two main building blocks of society. You remove one of them and it becomes unstable😄

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You don't understand that the fact that there are many more infected in Italy than in Belgium, is the reason for these differences in policies? That in Italy it is not possible to isolate individual people any more so to slow down the spread they have decided to close schools whereas this is not the case, yet, in Belgium? Okay, I will try to explain this to you when I have more time. 

last time I checked, in belgium it's the same virus as in italy.

as a scientist, you should view italy as the perfect setting to evaluate the possible consequences of this outbreak. your own charts provide an excellent scenario, almost like a glass ball, about what will happen in belgium.

the experience and knowledge you'd gain from the study of the italian situation, would provide you solid guidelines, on how to do better than italians.

Why make the same mistakes as the italians, who as the fact show, waited too long to close schools? Because, if it is necessary to close schools yesterday, then it was necessary to close them last monday. They just didnt know yet, but now they do. Belgium, knows too, but still refuses to act. They have actually said they want to wait until the first people die of covid19 in belgium before closing schools! this is actually worse than the italian government, who didnt know better. but belgium, now, does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, action said:

last time I checked, in belgium it's the same virus as in italy.

But the epidemics is at different stages in these countries with different numbers of infected rates calling for different responses. 

There is a threshold point where you go from too few infected to it making much sense to shut down schools, to where it might make sense to slow down the spread and relieve some of the pressure on the health care systems.

I suspect you didn't understand this, so I can write more about this later if you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, action said:

as a scientist, you should view italy as the perfect setting to evaluate the possible consequences of this outbreak. your own charts provide an excellent scenario, almost like a glass ball, about what will happen in belgium.

I am not trained as a virologist nor am I an active scientist. And the graphs (not charts) I have presented to you aren't mine. 

The rest of your post was nonsensical garble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, action said:

last time I checked, in belgium it's the same virus as in italy.

as a scientist, you should view italy as the perfect setting to evaluate the possible consequences of this outbreak. your own charts provide an excellent scenario, almost like a glass ball, about what will happen in belgium.

the experience and knowledge you'd gain from the study of the italian situation, would provide you solid guidelines, on how to do better than italians.

Why make the same mistakes as the italians, who as the fact show, waited too long to close schools? Because, if it is necessary to close schools yesterday, then it was necessary to close them last monday. They just didnt know yet, but now they do. Belgium, knows too, but still refuses to act. They have actually said they want to wait until the first people die of covid19 in belgium before closing schools! this is actually worse than the italian government, who didnt know better. but belgium, now, does.

Hell, why not make absolutely sure by confining everybody to their homes and shooting anybody who tries to leave? That will ensure no more people get infected.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Christopher Columbus, is this still going on?! SoulMonster must be the most patient poster on here!

You've seen him arguing with @DieselDaisy before right? This could go on for days! :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dazey said:

You've seen him arguing with @DieselDaisy before right? This could go on for days! :lol: 

The conversation between him and action reminds me of a teacher explaining the same thing over and over yet the student keeps on failing to grasp what is being said. It's quite impressive really, I couldn't do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the belgian government doesn't want to say where the infected live. in the netherlands, they do.

so yet another measure, that could make people more carefull, is not taken. the official reason given is that "it wouldnt help to prevent spreading the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage this could cause. because people in the affected regions will refrain from going to stores etc.

schools aren't closed, again, the official reason: it wont help prevent spreading the virus. read, the real reason: people can't take care of their kids, they'll need to stay home from work, this will hurt the economy

every. single. measure. is always geared towards containing the damage to the economy.

the government is encouraging people to still travel, to go to public happenings etc... not to contain the epidemy, but to contain the economic damage.

italy has gone this route for a couple of weeks, and the results are shocking, with an explosion of infected today, and many more deaths. the italian economy is shot, so they figure they might as well take measures that favor national health for once. far, far, FAR too late.

my god, it's like war. the effects of this will be felt a long time in the future. How will the public take the inadequacy of all these governments? What will be the reaction? After WWI, so many governments fell. the russian revolution, the fall of the german empire, all a result of a profound change in the life of the people. Will the same happen as a result of the incompetence of our government? Is a new revolution going to happen? I hope so, it's about goddamn time that the "rule of money" yields to the interests of the common people.

I predict a direct blow to right and extreme right parties, who by nature favour the capital. I hope, that people will vote left again, a return to decency and care for the weak in our society. governments left, right and center are shifting to the right side of the political spectrum, and I'm sick and tired of them all, fucking assholes that they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The community health centre has a van that delivers clean crack pipes and many related items, including wet naps and hand sanitizer, to street involved people. The people running the van came to realize that people were asking for lots of hand sanitizer and wipes. It seems that since the city's stores are all sold out of sanitizer that its being stockpiled by some of the vans clients. Its surmised that the sanitizer is then being sold into the community. The people that would be buying it (or exchanging services for it) are really vulnerable people - they are being preyed upon.

Its really sad.

Edited by soon
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was speaking with a few Californians just now and they were mocking canadians for taking Coronavirus so seriously... how it's been around for years, it only harms those who have weak systems and that the common cold kills tons more etc...

Cant wait until they attribute it on Trump winning, again, in November

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, action said:

the belgian government doesn't want to say where the infected live. in the netherlands, they do.

so yet another measure, that could make people more carefull, is not taken. the official reason given is that "it wouldnt help to prevent spreading the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage this could cause. because people in the affected regions will refrain from going to stores etc.

Really, people would be avoiding leaving their houses if they knew there were infected people in the same town? Come on, surely Belgium people are not that hysterical. You are just thinking how you would react and thinking everybody are like you. 

 

54 minutes ago, action said:

schools aren't closed, again, the official reason: it wont help prevent spreading the virus. read, the real reason: people can't take care of their kids, they'll need to stay home from work, this will hurt the economy

It most definitely will hurt the economy. Also, nurses and doctors would have to stay home with their kids which would be extremely bad right now. Also, they are right in that it won't stop the spread - it's probably too late for that now. It would slow down the spread though, but you have to compare the value of slowing it down somewhat with the drawbacks closing schools has on society. And it simply isn't as simple as just being about economy. I have already mentioned some reasons, but we also shouldn't deny that schools are good and shouldn't be interrupted needlessly. Lastly, closing down schools is a pretty drastic reaction and is likely to induce more hysteria among people. All of this should be balanced with an epidemic that could end up not causing more than a few tens of thousands of deaths world-wide. 

 

58 minutes ago, action said:

every. single. measure. is always geared towards containing the damage to the economy.

Your monomanic focus on the economy is fascinating. I suppose to someone modestly equipped with nothing but a barely-working hammer every problem does look like a nail.

 

59 minutes ago, action said:

the government is encouraging people to still travel, to go to public happenings etc... not to contain the epidemy, but to contain the economic damage.

And to simply keep the wheels of society rolling. You know, keep science going, keep people happy, and yes, keep business ticking away. Discouraging people from travel in general would be an act of hysteria, at this moment. And fortunately, policy-givers are a tad more knowledgeable and considerate than you.

 

1 hour ago, action said:

my god, it's like war. the effects of this will be felt a long time in the future. How will the public take the inadequacy of all these governments? What will be the reaction?

And if this just blows over and the death toll end up lower than with seasonal flu, will the public feel ashamed for over-reacting? Will people like you learn something from all of this? Will people feel rather stupid for wearing face masks despite the fact that they didn't help in the face of an epidemic that wasn't really that dangerous to most people? 

 

1 hour ago, action said:

Will the same happen as a result of the incompetence of our government? Is a new revolution going to happen? I hope so, it's about goddamn time that the "rule of money" yields to the interests of the common people.

Fascinating.

For the record, I can't see that your government has done anything wrong here. Of course I don't know the details, but I if you say they have, then I figure they haven't. 

1 hour ago, action said:

governments left, right and center are shifting to the right side of the political spectrum, and I'm sick and tired of them all, fucking assholes that they are

It is fascinating how you go from being confused about how governments should respond to this epidemic, blaming your government for not adopting measures that to me is ill-advised at this stage and slightly irrational, and then express almost hatred for politicians based on nothing but your own confusion. So you basically make up a fantasy world where your government is doing something against you, while they aren't. Truly fascinating. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And to simply keep the wheels of society rolling. You know, keep science going, keep people happy, and yes, keep business ticking away. Discouraging people from travel in general would be an act of hysteria, at this moment. And fortunately, policy-givers are a tad more knowledgeable and considerate than you.

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Towelie said:

My cousin has it and her three kids. It hasn't been reported in the media, I don't think the full extent of the number of cases is being reported by mainstream media.

I had it aswell a few days ago and felt like shit after a few days but my immune system.is pretty robust. My boss tried to tell me to stay home and isolate myself but I told him to fuck right off. My service users in the care home come first. If I'm not there to wipe their arses and put them to bed who will.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Really, people would be avoiding leaving their houses if they knew there were infected people in the same town? Come on, surely Belgium people are not that hysterical. You are just thinking how you would react and thinking everybody are like you. 

 

It most definitely will hurt the economy. Also, nurses and doctors would have to stay home with their kids which would be extremely bad right now. Also, they are right in that it won't stop the spread - it's probably too late for that now. It would slow down the spread though, but you have to compare the value of slowing it down somewhat with the drawbacks closing schools has on society. And it simply isn't as simple as just being about economy. I have already mentioned some reasons, but we also shouldn't deny that schools are good and shouldn't be interrupted needlessly. Lastly, closing down schools is a pretty drastic reaction and is likely to induce more hysteria among people. All of this should be balanced with an epidemic that could end up not causing more than a few tens of thousands of deaths world-wide. 

 

Your monomanic focus on the economy is fascinating. I suppose to someone modestly equipped with nothing but a barely-working hammer every problem does look like a nail.

 

And to simply keep the wheels of society rolling. You know, keep science going, keep people happy, and yes, keep business ticking away. Discouraging people from travel in general would be an act of hysteria, at this moment. And fortunately, policy-givers are a tad more knowledgeable and considerate than you.

 

And if this just blows over and the death toll end up lower than with seasonal flu, will the public feel ashamed for over-reacting? Will people like you learn something from all of this? Will people feel rather stupid for wearing face masks despite the fact that they didn't help in the face of an epidemic that wasn't really that dangerous to most people? 

 

Fascinating.

For the record, I can't see that your government has done anything wrong here. Of course I don't know the details, but I if you say they have, then I figure they haven't. 

It is fascinating how you go from being confused about how governments should respond to this epidemic, blaming your government for not adopting measures that to me is ill-advised at this stage and slightly irrational, and then express almost hatred for politicians based on nothing but your own confusion. So you basically make up a fantasy world where your government is doing something against you, while they aren't. Truly fascinating. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/covid-19-coronavirus-march-5-1.5486464

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus concerned efforts by some countries 'do not match the level of threat'

WHO chief urges countries to act quickly, educate public and mobilize 'whole government' response to COVID-19

Tedros said WHO is concerned that in some countries, "the level of political commitment, and the actions that demonstrate that commitment, do not match the level of threat we all face."

"This is not the time to give up," he said. "This is not a time for excuses. This is a time for pulling out all the stops."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, action said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/covid-19-coronavirus-march-5-1.5486464

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus concerned efforts by some countries 'do not match the level of threat'

WHO chief urges countries to act quickly, educate public and mobilize 'whole government' response to COVID-19

Tedros said WHO is concerned that in some countries, "the level of political commitment, and the actions that demonstrate that commitment, do not match the level of threat we all face."

"This is not the time to give up," he said. "This is not a time for excuses. This is a time for pulling out all the stops."

Congratulations on identifying the responsibility of the WHO :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked and pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...