Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

There are cases here in Texas too. Freaks me out.

I hope they can find a cure or at least help people in the meantime.

This is some scary shit.

It scares me when parents don't get their kids their shots or a flu shot, so i can only imagine how this is going to go!

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Let’s hope it’s not spread by groping or the Italian population will be decimated in a couple of weeks. :lol: 

Do they still do this? I'm of Italian decent and though I've never been to Sicily or Italy, my friends and family never touched or groped us!

10 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Contamination time: 15 seconds

From first symptoms to death: 14 days

Mortality rate: 2% - 15% according to WHO

Take its exponential growth in consideration and you got no less than the apocalypse.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

No you haven't. Even by your own numbers you've got something just a little bit apocalysey for upto 15% of people infected.

Just now, Dazey said:

No you haven't. Even by your own numbers you've got something just a little bit apocalysey for upto 15% of people infected.

Almost all of the people who have died so far have been over the age of 50, smokers, or immunocompromised

If you can't handle bad pneumonia, you're a goner

Sad news. Wishing everyone good health. 

But also...

I've been making sure to patronize the Chinese restaurants and grocers because of how peoples anxieties around the virus drives down business for them. So I guess now I shall go enjoy some chicken cacciatore too! Keep the bread sticks coming, Ricardo! :drool:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The key word there is exponential growth - it doesn't spread like a normal flu. Italy had 2 cases a couple of days ago, now they have over 120 and counting, three people died and many are in intensive care. In Milan schools are closed, concerts and sports events are postphoned and people are off work. If this spreads over Europe at this rate then millions will die within weeks and with China AND Europe struggling, the entire world economy will collapse over night, supply chains will implode and there will be riots and looting all over. Time will tell...let's hope for the best.

Edited by adamsapple

4 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

The key word there is exponential growth - it doesn't spread like a normal flu. Italy had 2 cases a couple of days ago, now they have over 120 and counting, three people died and many are in intensive care. In Milan schools are closed, concerts and sports events are postphoned and people are off work. If this spreads over Europe at this rate then millions will die within weeks and with China AND Europe struggling, the entire world economy will collapse over night, supply chains will implode and there will be riots and looting all over. Time will tell...let's hope for the best.

Exponential growth is irrelevant if the people infected aren't dying from it. Again from your own figures even if 100% of the population are infected you're only looking at a mortality rate of between 2 and 15%. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If this scares you, listen to this: there is another flu outbreak happening right now that has caused tens of thousands of lives this year. The common flu. Brace yourselves. 

The only thing this has in common with the flu is that both are viruses. Taking its exponential growth in consideration then even at its lowest mortality rate, Corona will have effects next to the spanish flu or the plague, if not worse. The quarantine scares me more than the actual disease. Europe is tiny compared to China or the US and it's quite densely populated in comparism.

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Exponential growth is irrelevant if the people infected aren't dying from it. Again from your own figures even if 100% of the population are infected you're only looking at a mortality rate of between 2 and 15%. 

Italy has about 60 million population, so at a worst case 15% rate that means "only" 9 million people will die within weeks.

For entire Europe with about 750 million people, that would be about 110 million deaths.

Just now, adamsapple said:

Italy has about 60 million population, so at a worst case 15% rate that means "only" 9 million people will die within weeks.

For entire Europe with about 750 million people, that would be about 110 million deaths.

More likely it's just going to be a very good time for people with shares in Kleenex.

28 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

The virus only has a 2% mortality rate

Most people just become asymptomatic carriers or have mild symptoms

Edited by TheSeeker

3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Italy is roughly the size of California but has about 25 million more people. Damn.

The best way to get through the actual virus is a strong immune system. If there's an outbreak in your area and you have a cold - call in sick, stay at home, cure it. The shit will most likely hit the fan very soon, so make sure to stock up on medicine, hygiene products, food and water NOW. Once you're under actual quarantine at home...well, do the math.

As for the the source, officially it's a bat but now more official sources and institutions take in consideration the virus might have originated from the laboratory right next to that market in Wuhan where bats are sold as food. Look up what kind of laboratory that is and what they work on in there. Scientists who did reasearch on the virus after its outbreak said it has structures of both SARS and HIV and chances are it's an experimental virus or maybe even a biological weapon that - given the reaction of the chinese government - is anyhing but harmless and totally out of control.

My biggest concern isn't even be the virus, financial crash, breakdown of supply chains, chaos, riots, looting and quarantines. It's the "vaccine" most likely be offered at the height of chaos.