COVID-19 Outbreak

adamsapple

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well she isn't front of the queue irrespective. The Oxford one is different from Pfizer's and Moderna's RNA ones as it is a viral vector, so maybe you are correct.

Just to demonstrate the type of numbers of people who cannot have Pfizer's: https://www.allergyuk.org/information-and-advice/statistics.

1 in a 1000.

Shitty odds for your mother. Sorry to hear that.

There are close to 500 children who are in the hospital with covid.  How scary and sad is this?

Having a vaccine is good, but not good enough to cure all these kids and other patients. We've lost close to 2,000 people in two days.

So many people will have to live with this trauma for the rest of their lives. It's still unreal sometimes.

13 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

There are close to 500 children who are in the hospital with covid.  How scary and sad is this?

1/10 scary and 3/10 sad. Don't get me wrong, every child in the hospital is sad, but how many thousand children are hospitalised due to leukemia and other comparatively more terrible diseases? We got to keep some perspective here. 

And lighten up, a vaccine is coming. What I would like for you is balancing the doom & gloom posts a bit with the good stuff, or at least ease up a bit when there is reason for it. Life can be terrible, especially if we can't appreciate all that is good or getting better :)

• Like 1

One of my best friends messaged me this morning to tell me his mum had passed away from coronavirus. The first person I know personally to have been taken by the pandemic. She was a lovely lady, and still young, his little brother's only 14 too, devastating news.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Reading into this further, my mother will not be able to take the Pfizer vaccine as she gets anaphylaxis (from penicillin) so that is the end of that one.

And this is exactly why we others should take the vaccine - to help through herd immunity. Let's do it for Diesel's granny.

2 hours ago, sliverjazz said:

Sorry guys if this sounds bad and im making this a DragonBall Z episode... BUT...

we got the vaccine flowing now- cant we start opening the frikin' world back up know and ditch the masks?

No, we can't go back to normality before enough people have been vaccinated so that the virus stops spreading (=herd immunity). 

And here's a somber thought: We don't know at the moment if the vaccines will prevent spread of the virus. We know they cause the production of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in our bodies, leading to immunity. But we don't know how long that immunity will last nor whether we can still spread the virus while being immune to its disease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sliverjazz said:

Sorry guys if this sounds bad and im making this a DragonBall Z episode... BUT...

we got the vaccine flowing now- cant we start opening the frikin' world back up know and ditch the masks?

Dragon Ball Z is all about teamwork.

So lets make this a Dragon Ball Z episode and learn to work together. To beat this thing in due course. Which sadly, aint as soon as we'd like.

Masks, closures and distancing is that winning teamwork :headbang:

This pandemic raises some interesting questions regarding vaccination order. Who should be vaccinated first?

- Those with the highest probability to die if infected? (Mostly the oldest people, who are likely to die "soon" anyway).

- Those subpopulations where the disease is most prevalent? (In Norway, most common in immigrants groups, among both young and elderly).

- Health personnel and other people in critical occupations? (Since it costs society most if they are away from work).

- People in their 50s? (Calculations show that we then save the most life years because they are more likely to die than young people but still have many years ahead of them).

Tricky, tricky, tricky :)

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

This pandemic raises some interesting questions regarding vaccination order. Who should be vaccinated first?

- Those with the highest probability to die if infected? (Mostly the oldest people, who are likely to die "soon" anyway).

- Those subpopulations where the disease is most prevalent? (In Norway, most common in immigrants groups, among both young and elderly).

- Health personnel and other people in critical occupations? (Since it costs society most if they are away from work).

- People in their 50s? (Calculations show that we then save the most life years because they are more likely to die than young people but still have many years ahead of them).

Tricky, tricky, tricky :)

The ones most likely to die of it and the ones most exposed to it, i.e. doctors and nurses and all that.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The ones most likely to die of it and the ones most exposed to it, i.e. doctors and nurses and all that.

Yes, that's how I would choose, too. But I see how one could argue differently. You can theoretically save more lives by first vaccinating the groups that contain the most infections, to reduce total infections in society which will benefit those most likely to die. But I agree.