COVID-19 Outbreak

A woman in Dallas has been hospitalized after getting the J&J vaccine. Not sure why, but hopefully she'll be okay.

Numbers are still up around the world. Looks like another year with covid not slowing down any.

Many new US cases are now under 30 years old and some kids. I really hope the vaccine for kids under 12 comes out soon. I would like my daughter vaccinated by the new school year, but who knows?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the fuck do they know? If I'm looking for advice from a rock band on how viruses are transmitted I will ask Queen thank you very much.

The mother of my aunt just died from covid19 in the Netherlands. No funeral and she can't go there. This situation is so fucked up.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

A woman in Dallas has been hospitalized after getting the J&J vaccine. Not sure why, but hopefully she'll be okay.

Because the vaccines aren't 100% effective. Even after vaccination there is a small (<1%) chance of getting Covid-19. Fortunately, if you get it after having been vaccinated you are likely to experience much weaker symptoms. This lady you mentioned are among the unlucky to not only get it after vaccination, but also experience severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. On the other hand, if she hadn't been vaccinated chances are she would have experienced even worse symptoms, possibly death.

• Like 3
On 4/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, SoulMonster said:

Because the vaccines aren't 100% effective. Even after vaccination there is a small (<1%) chance of getting Covid-19. Fortunately, if you get it after having been vaccinated you are likely to experience much weaker symptoms. This lady you mentioned are among the unlucky to not only get it after vaccination, but also experience severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. On the other hand, if she hadn't been vaccinated chances are she would have experienced even worse symptoms, possibly death.

That's true, but even after vaccination you can die from it. My uncle died from covid after vaccination. I know that there's a really small chance of still getting really sick from it after vaccination but he's one of the unlucky ones.

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Gavin82 said:

Bojo coming under fire apparently he's said instead of another UK LD let the bodys pile high 

https://www.rt.com/uk/522097-johnson-lockdown-bodies-daily-mail/

Its on the news for today 

It astounds me that for over a year places have a cycle of going into lockdown and when things start to improve immediately open everything up - then things get worse again. Rinse and repeat.

What needs to be done isn't being done. May as well have the Swedish approach all long. 

There's no virus in places like NZ and Singapore. If everyone had our approach this shit would probably be over by now.

• Like 3

I saw on the news that Dallas has tons of vaccines and not many people are getting them now. I'm hoping most of the people have already been vaccinated, but who knows?

The US has to start sending vaccines to the world because it's still in a mess with sick and dying people. The virus is still out there and not slowing down one bit.

My brother got hs second shot and feels fine. I'm hoping to get it at my doctor's office. waiting for them to set up an appointment for me. Then I'm hoping the younger kids can start getting their vaccines soon.

I'm on five waitlists for the AstraZeneca shot.  I've given up on the idea of getting the Pfizer or Moderna shots since they won't be available for my age group until July or August.  

Really frustrating as everyone I know seems to have had at least one shot.  Can't seem to catch a break.  I do have an appointment for my first shot at the end of May, but I'm reading it's unlikely people with later appointments will get it since supply is running low. 

Meanwhile my brother-in-law decided yesterday he wanted to get it after being weary about it and signed up this morning.  Found out a few hours later he's getting his shot at 4pm today.  

Part of the problem is the idiots who run our province (our Premier/Governor is the brother of Toronto's former crack-smoking mayor) decided to use a decentralized sign up system for only the AstraZeneca and J&J vaccines.  That means everyone has signed up to numerous waitlists rather than use one centralized system that works on a first-come-first serve basis. 

It hurts my head to think how badly our provincial leadership has fucked over my province due to sheer incompetence.

@downzyI think that kind of roll out is pretty much par for the course everywhere. Usually there is a County website sign up, which is what my parents in Ontario used, and then you can branch out to pharmacy wait lists etc. They did the same thing here in Kansas and it was very successful. Did you join vaccine hunters Canada? 

2 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

@downzyI think that kind of roll out is pretty much par for the course everywhere. Usually there is a County website sign up, which is what my parents in Ontario used, and then you can branch out to pharmacy wait lists etc. They did the same thing here in Kansas and it was very successful. Did you join vaccine hunters Canada? 

Alberta and Ontario are the only two provinces that chose to use a decentralized system for the AstraZeneca vaccine (and I believe J&J will be the same).

If you want Pfizer or Moderna, there's a centralized website that gives you an appointment based on need, age, and when you signed up.  It's a far more fair system that assigns shots to the most needy and isn't based on luck.  But I'm still 20 years younger than the allowable age to get either of those shots.  The 40+ crowd are limited to the AstraZenaca shot.  

Again, the problem with a decentralized program is that it ignores risk assessments and encourages everyone to sign up to numerous waitlists, which is incredibly inefficient and counter-productive.  

You can't really compare it to what happened in Kansas or other parts of the US because the US is awash in vaccine supply.  There was hasn't been a shortage of shots since the middle of March in the US.  In Canada we're still hampered by little supply since we import all of our vaccines and producers are being hamstrung to ship us what we ordered because of American-first policies.  

Vaccine hunters Canada is kind of a joke.  Most of their information is either limited or out of date.  They have posted numerous false and fabricated screenshots of new availability.  If you live in Toronto it might be worthwhile, but not really useful for smaller communities elsewhere in the country.  

47 minutes ago, downzy said:

But I'm still 20 years younger than the allowable age to get either of those shots.  The 40+ crowd are limited to the AstraZenaca shot.  

Oh I see what you mean now. I didn't know this! 

A friend of mine who is in her 40's used vaccine hunter and got her astra zeneca shot in record time. (toronto area). If you like I can try and find out where she signed up. But of course it does all depend on who has supply and for how long. 

Edited by Whiskey Rose
24 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Oh I see what you mean now. I didn't know this! 

A friend of mine who is in her 40's used vaccine hunter and got her astra zeneca shot in record time. (toronto area). If you like I can try and find out where she signed up. But of course it does all depend on who has supply and for how long. 

Thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately places that announce availability don't last very long.  Plus we're in full on lock down so I don't think (nor do I really want) to make a three hour round trip drive into Toronto if it can be avoided.  

I do still follow vaccine hunters but it's pretty limited if you don't live in Toronto.  The few posts about my area were out of date or just wrong the moment it was tweeted.  I think it's more useful for people living in Toronto or other provinces where clinics that have finished with their appointments fill remaining doses with walk-ins.  

Jesus, @downzy, I am really sorry to hear that. I am sure you will get one soon! I am shocked the USA ended up being a leader with vaccine distribution. Really shows how important elections are here, but I am surprised the EU and Canada are struggling so much with this

57 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Jesus, @downzy, I am really sorry to hear that. I am sure you will get one soon! I am shocked the USA ended up being a leader with vaccine distribution. Really shows how important elections are here, but I am surprised the EU and Canada are struggling so much with this

You guys have domestic production, we don’t. We use to, but the federal government stopped investment and subsidizing into domestic vaccine plants in the late 80s and early 90s. I guess the working assumption at the time was that because Canada and the US were such close allies we could rely on getting supplies from our southern neighbour. Turns out both liberal and conservative governments were wrong on that assumption.

As much as I like to knock Trump, I’m not sure there would have been a huge difference in vaccine supplies in the US had he been re-elected.  I’m positive there would have been less coordination in distribution, but as to the actual supply, I don’t think it would have matter who had won the last election. 

Seems like people in Canada have to be more active in getting their shots. Here in Norway I just have to wait until the government contacts me and tells me where and when I have to go to get my shot. Nothing I can do to influence the process. Just wait for them.

• Like 1

Apparently we should be starting to vaccinate the over 30’s within days after we managed to secure another 40 million doses of the Pfizer jab. I’m 41 so should be getting mine within a week or two. 🤞

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/over-30s-nhs-covid-19-vaccine-pfizer-jabs-deal-b931598.html%3Famp

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
11 hours ago, downzy said:

You guys have domestic production, we don’t. We use to, but the federal government stopped investment and subsidizing into domestic vaccine plants in the late 80s and early 90s. I guess the working assumption at the time was that because Canada and the US were such close allies we could rely on getting supplies from our southern neighbour. Turns out both liberal and conservative governments were wrong on that assumption.

As much as I like to knock Trump, I’m not sure there would have been a huge difference in vaccine supplies in the US had he been re-elected.  I’m positive there would have been less coordination in distribution, but as to the actual supply, I don’t think it would have matter who had won the last election. 

Surprisingly NZ has the capability for domestic production as we can repurpose our apparently robust infrastructure for vaccinating cattle. I don't know the details that's just what I heard a while back. Point being if we can do it Canada can.

Pfizer rollout is happening here in July. I'm still paranoid about the whole thing and will wait and see.

Edited by Oldest Goat
1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Surprisingly NZ has the capability for domestic production as we can repurpose our apparently robust infrastructure for vaccinating cattle. I don't know the details that's just what I heard a while back. Point being if we can do it Canada can.

Pfizer rollout is happening here in July. I'm still paranoid about the whole thing and will wait and see.

I'm not surprised your cattle need vaccinating after what you lot get up to with 'em! :lol: 

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't know the details that's just what I heard a while back. Point being if we can do it Canada can.

Sure, we can do it, but it takes time and not something that can be done overnight.

There was already a new vaccine production facility under construction that started last year.  The federal government gave the company a ton of money to speed construction.  But even then it won't be producing viable shots until November of this year.  Vaccine production isn't something that can be ramped up in a few months.  It requires a tremendous amount of planning, sourcing, and expertise to make sure production is effective, efficient, and safe.  

• GNFNR 1