Jump to content

COVID-19 Outbreak


adamsapple

Recommended Posts

I got my vaccine and am now getting on with my life. Resumed band rehearsals, I go out to eat and to bars, I go to work in person, I see friends and family, and I will start traveling again soon. I still take precautions and have no qualms with keeping the mask until more of the world gets inoculated. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2021 at 2:02 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I read in the newspaper today that because of the virus outbreak in India it's effecting England too. It's another set back.

I don't think this covid will ever go away.

Taiwan is having another outbreak too. It seems to be one or two steps ahead of anything that is being done to slow it down.

I bet before the year's end will need another shot or two.

I know about still getting covid after being vaccinated that's why I'm still working from home and wearing a mask anywhere I go. Still not eating in any restaurants. My Crue concert was pushed back to 2022 I'm glad about this. I can't see being in a 40,000 stadium with a bunch of fans drinking and eating without any masks. I just hope KISS pushes their show back too. 

Steel panther is coming back to Dallas, but still not comfortable being anyplace without people wearing masks. 

the virus keeps mutating and the US keeps taking away things that can still keep you a little bit safer.

Here comes summer! I bet the numbers rise again.

I swear to god…… people like you are the true covidiots… you're vaccinated ffs! Jesus christ, live your life!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, All Cautions Made said:

I swear to god…… people like you are the true covidiots… you're vaccinated ffs! Jesus christ, live your life!

I am living my life as cautious as I can, but I also watch the news to see how other countries are doing. We all have to be vaccinated to make sure we can end or at least slow down the virus. People are still getting sick and dying and we should care about that.

And even with a vaccine, with all the variants out there, you can still get covid. This is a reality we all have to learn to live with.

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I was vaccinated in December. One-shot. Was sore for a few days.

Any vaccine I get usually hurts my arm for about a week. I think many people get that reaction. It's better than getting some other symptoms which make you feel like you're going to die. I've known a few friends who had bad symptoms, but with bed rest and fluids they were okay after a few days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 3:35 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

 

And even with a vaccine, with all the variants out there, you can still get covid. This is a reality we all have to learn to live with.

so what if you get covid huh?

if you are vaccinated, you won't die of it. period. even with variants, a nothing burger hyped by paranoid schizos that don't want the pandemic to be over.

that should be enough to live your life with normalcy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, All Cautions Made said:

so what if you get covid huh?

if you are vaccinated, you won't die of it. period. even with variants, a nothing burger hyped by paranoid schizos that don't want the pandemic to be over.

that should be enough to live your life with normalcy.

Except a few people die even after having been vaccinated.

Still, here are the facts:

- If you get vaccinated the probability of getting Covid-19 is reduced substantially.

- If you get Covid-19 after being vaccinated, the symptoms are less severe.

Conclusion: Get vaccinated.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, All Cautions Made said:

if you are vaccinated, you won't die of it. period. even with variants,

Not true. You can still die from it. Happened to someone in my family. Fully vaccinated, then caught covid, and died from it. Of course this is rare, no reason not to get vaccinated, but it's still possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honest question: why do we have to be preachy about getting vaccinated? 

Sure, I told people when I got my shots but that was 95% for others peace of mind because I have gatherings at my house every Friday. I more or less wanted people to know I got mine in case they were worried about hanging out in close proximity on Fridays. 

Outside of that, I couldn't care less if others choose to get it or not. Why should I? I'm being serious when I say this: I don't understand why I should care if anyone else gets vaccinated or what their opinions on vaccines us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Outside of that, I couldn't care less if others choose to get it or not. Why should I? I'm being serious when I say this: I don't understand why I should care if anyone else gets vaccinated or what their opinions on vaccines us. 

Short answer:

Because if other people don't vaccinate themselves, people will die. 

Longer answer:

If people don't vaccinate themselves, they run the risk of getting infected and dying. And we don't want people dying, even if they at some level are at blame for it themselves.

They also run the risk of passing the virus on to others, including other people who are vaccinated and people who for various reasons can't get vaccinated. And we don't want this to happen to other people-

Additionally, the more people that aren't vaccinated, the more viruses will remain in circulation and the more evolution events will take place, meaning that the virus is more likely to evolve into a form not affected by vaccinations. And we certainly don't want to see this virus evolve into new and more deadly forms for which we have no effective vaccines. This pandemic has been bad enough, let's quell it before it potentially evolves into something even worse.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Short answer:

Because if other people don't vaccinate themselves, people will die. 

Longer answer:

If people don't vaccinate themselves, they run the risk of getting infected and dying. And we don't want people dying, even if they at some level are at blame for it themselves.

They also run the risk of passing the virus on to others, including other people who are vaccinated and people who for various reasons can't get vaccinated. And we don't want this to happen to other people-

Additionally, the more people that aren't vaccinated, the more viruses will remain in circulation and the more evolution events will take place, meaning that the virus is more likely to evolve into a form not affected by vaccinations. And we certainly don't want to see this virus evolve into new and more deadly forms for which we have no effective vaccines. This pandemic has been bad enough, let's quell it before it potentially evolves into something even worse.

Fair enough. I hear ya on the second points but the first one still seems like a "you do you" thing to me. People make detrimental choices that they shouldn't every day, so if they chose not to get vaccinated and it harms them......that's on them, IMO.

Again though, I get the second point about how it can end up hurting others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fair enough. I hear ya on the second points but the first one still seems like a "you do you" thing to me. People make detrimental choices that they shouldn't every day, so if they chose not to get vaccinated and it harms them......that's on them, IMO.

Again though, I get the second point about how it can end up hurting others.

And I get that perspective. Still, I feel that we ought to protect stupid people from making stupid mistakes. It is so easy to just shrug and say they brought it onto themselves. Caring for others includes those unable to make good decisions,even if it might be an ungrateful task. 

Still, I am not a holier-than-thou person and will not preach about this to people who have decided to not get vaccines unless they invite my opinion. My thoughts were more why we as a society should encourage vaccinations, not that each and everyone of us should be obligated to argue with anti-vaxxers. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to make something clear: I don't think people who refuse vaccines are necessarily stupid. It is mostly a stupid position to take, but we all do stupid things. And when it comes to anti-vaxxers, many of them haven't had proper opportunity to come to the conclusion that vaccines are good. They live in echo chambers, gets infatuated with misinformative sources, have peers who pressure them, etc. It is human to make mistakes and I know I am happy when others care for me when I make stupid mistakes. 

This has been a continuous development in how I look at people with stupid opinions. I used to be more dismissive. Now I try to realize most of them are just innocent victims of circumstance. And we all make mistakes. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Honest question: why do we have to be preachy about getting vaccinated? 

Sure, I told people when I got my shots but that was 95% for others peace of mind because I have gatherings at my house every Friday. I more or less wanted people to know I got mine in case they were worried about hanging out in close proximity on Fridays. 

Outside of that, I couldn't care less if others choose to get it or not. Why should I? I'm being serious when I say this: I don't understand why I should care if anyone else gets vaccinated or what their opinions on vaccines us. 

I’m more of this opinion with respect to reopening everything. I don’t think we should wait to reopen until we hit some arbitrary vaccination rate. Once we reach a point where anyone who wants to be vaccinated can get vaccinated is when we should open everything back up. Those who choose to not protect themselves are on their own.

I do agree with you somewhat that shaming people about being vaccinated is probably the wrong approach. That’s never going to work.

That said, if someone wants to advertise their unvaccinated status and make bullshit arguments as to why they have taken the correct approach, well, I’m not someone who can let that go unchallenged. It’s one thing for someone to remain unvaccinated, it’s another for someone to advertise it with ignorant boastfulness. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again doctors aren't agreeing on if/when we will need a covid booster shot? Here we go again.

Went to Walmart today and everyone was wearing a mask. Glad people realize it's still not totally safe not to wear a mask.

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My son got his first Moderna shot today. I'm glad he's on his way to being vaccinated now! 

Awesome! Can't wait until my daughter who's 10 can get her shots too.

Hope he feels well and now is protected against covid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 1:30 AM, SoulMonster said:

Except a few people die even after having been vaccinated.

Still, here are the facts:

- If you get vaccinated the probability of getting Covid-19 is reduced substantially.

- If you get Covid-19 after being vaccinated, the symptoms are less severe.

Conclusion: Get vaccinated.

 

On 5/20/2021 at 4:26 AM, EvanG said:

Not true. You can still die from it. Happened to someone in my family. Fully vaccinated, then caught covid, and died from it. Of course this is rare, no reason not to get vaccinated, but it's still possible.

That is 100% true, no vaccines are 100% effective in real life, and I am truly sorry to hear about your family.

But the point is the same. How many deaths are acceptable in a society? Is it reasonable to expect nobody to die of covid? Should the US and the UK stop opening up because there are still people dying of covid, even with high levels of vaccination? When do we resume our lives? At zero covid?

Even in Israel there are still covid patients in the hospitals and deaths everyday.

It is a sad truth of life that people die. Not only of covid, but in car accidents, the flu season, cancer.

Hospitals operating at 400% capacity and 4,000 people dying everyday is unacceptable, definitely.

But after vaccines, COVID should not be any more of a concern in our daily lives than the flu, cancer, alcoholism, smoking or driving fast.

Just my 0.2c and I know most people here think differently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The US government wants to know what happened to the researchers who were exposed to the covid virus while working in the Chinese lab? Seriously, can't you guess what the Chinese government did to those people who were infected?  The rest of the world will never know, but you can take a guess and it's not good. Keeping secrets is what some governments do best including the US.

I doubt it ended well for those researchers who were exposed to this deadly virus. I bet they suffered terribly before they died. 

Many lives were lost when the virus first hit because no one knew what it was and what to do. Can't believe it's over a year. Luckily we now have a vaccine, but since this virus seems to have more variants, I doubt it'll be totally over soon.

Get vaccinated people.

I know friends who got the virus and stil lhave side effects like loss of taste and smell. It sucks.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, All Cautions Made said:

 

That is 100% true, no vaccines are 100% effective in real life, and I am truly sorry to hear about your family.

But the point is the same. How many deaths are acceptable in a society? Is it reasonable to expect nobody to die of covid? Should the US and the UK stop opening up because there are still people dying of covid, even with high levels of vaccination? When do we resume our lives? At zero covid?

Even in Israel there are still covid patients in the hospitals and deaths everyday.

It is a sad truth of life that people die. Not only of covid, but in car accidents, the flu season, cancer.

Hospitals operating at 400% capacity and 4,000 people dying everyday is unacceptable, definitely.

But after vaccines, COVID should not be any more of a concern in our daily lives than the flu, cancer, alcoholism, smoking or driving fast.

Just my 0.2c and I know most people here think differently.

You are right. You can't outrun death. It'll happen to each and every one of us one time or another. It's good to have a vaccine, but nothing in life is guaranteed. Just be cautious and try to live your life the best way you can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, All Cautions Made said:

But after vaccines, COVID should not be any more of a concern in our daily lives than the flu, cancer, alcoholism, smoking or driving fast.

Just my 0.2c and I know most people here think differently.

So long as the vaccines do what they're intended to do, then I agree with you.  

But if a variant pops up that renders vaccines useless, then we'll either have to get better at case tracing and stopping the spread before mitigation efforts are needed.  Lockdowns are only necessary when governments fail to prevent mass community spread.  Yes, people die of cancer, alcohol, tobacco products, and unsafe driving, but you can't catch any of those things.  Shutting things down really won't have much, if any, impact on cancer deaths.  Government shuts things down only as a last resort.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Japan's covid numbers are increasing again and the Olympics is coming up. Don't think this is a good. I'm sure the players will all have to stay inside for at least two weeks when they return to their own countries.

Even though the numbers are going down in the US, this virus isn't done yet. I have a bad feeling that it will one again surge in the fall.

22 hours ago, downzy said:

So long as the vaccines do what they're intended to do, then I agree with you.  

But if a variant pops up that renders vaccines useless, then we'll either have to get better at case tracing and stopping the spread before mitigation efforts are needed.  Lockdowns are only necessary when governments fail to prevent mass community spread.  Yes, people die of cancer, alcohol, tobacco products, and unsafe driving, but you can't catch any of those things.  Shutting things down really won't have much, if any, impact on cancer deaths.  Government shuts things down only as a last resort.  

Moderna and Pizer say their vaccines are still good against the variants. I don't believe that at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Japan's covid numbers are increasing again and the Olympics is coming up. Don't think this is a good. I'm sure the players will all have to stay inside for at least two weeks when they return to their own countries.

That's what athletes have been dealing with since this all started. Tennis players, who travel more than a lot of other athletes, have been living in a bubble non stop while being on the tour, some of them have been really struggling mentally. It's hotel, tennis court, then back to the hotel, and nothing else for all this time now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.thedailybeast.com/boris-johnson-wanted-to-be-injected-with-coronavirus-on-live-tv-says-ex-adviser?ref=home

"The high watermark of stupidity from a global leader during the coronavirus pandemic was probably when Donald Trump suggested, out loud, that injecting people with bleach could treat the disease. But British Prime Minister Boris Johnson allegedly came up with an idea that was arguably even more idiotic. According to Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former top adviser, the PM offered to be injected with the coronavirus live on television in the early days of the pandemic. According to the Daily Mail, Cummings claims Johnson said: “I’m going to get Chris Whitty (England’s chief medical officer) to inject me with it live on national TV so everyone can see it’s nothing to be scared of.” Weeks later, Johnson nearly died after catching the coronavirus—though that was unintentional. The revelation came as Cummings gave evidence to British lawmakers on how the government mishandled the first few months of the pandemic."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Moderna and Pizer say their vaccines are still good against the variants. I don't believe that at all.

On what basis do you doubt their claims?

Last I checked any confirmations of effectiveness against variants is based on research and tests that are available for anyone to review.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, downzy said:

On what basis do you doubt their claims?

Last I checked any confirmations of effectiveness against variants is based on research and tests that are available for anyone to review.  

My guess is it's the same source as always: reading less than half of an article shared on fb or catching 30 seconds of a 5 minute report on CNN. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...