COVID-19 Outbreak

adamsapple

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Even the answer to your first question has been confusing lol. 

At first (a year and a couple of months ago) we were led to believe it was a federal mandate. Then it became clear that it was more of a federal "suggestion" and the mask mandates were state by state. 

Michigan took a LOT of shit for being one of the more locked down states. Texas and Florida were both the most lax. Michigan ended up having the highest rates of new cases over that span of time though. 

Florida and Texas went back to 100% capacity and dropped their mask mandates before Las Vegas even did. Everyone in the media lost their minds and kept saying the sky was going to fall in those states, but it never did. 

Just to be clear: I'm not an anti mask person and I very much believe in the dangers of the virus as a whole. I just think the messy handling has done nothing for the general publics belief & trust in how government can handle these situations. 

To be fair, it still sounds pretty much like what our government has been doing. The mayors seem to be left alone to decide what regulations to follow and what to allow and what not. Amsterdam did some questionable things by allowing a demonstration with 5000+ people attending, or allowing fans of the Amsteram football team to celebrate winning the national league.

Other than that both our government and the media have been spreading mostly confusion amongst people. I believe it’s the same in our neighboring countries.

But I never understood how the US could be so divided on pretty much everyhing. Especially when it comes to handling an outbreak like this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, downzy said:

I’ll probably keep wearing mine after the pandemic. It’s been nice going over a year without getting a cold or flu.  Likely keep mine on when visiting non social areas like grocery stores or doctor’s office. If I’m meeting friends at a bar or restaurant then I’ll keep it off. 

I also am still masking up indoors like grocery stores....I don't want to be the rare breakthrough case and have to take off work, there are the variants like the Delta variant which is becoming more widespread by the week! and I work with super young unmasked and unvaccinated children. Plus for the people who are immunocompromised. I wear it for them. so yeah tons of reasons....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

It is odd. And from what I heard there are some businesses that started with the mandatory masks but stopped because people got aggressive towards staff and other people who díd want to wear masks. Governments shouldn’t leave something sensitive like this to business owners. 

Agree with you 100%! After our mayor dropped the mask mandate, some businesses were still choosing to keep it and this one guy harassed these poor young girls working at the yogurt shop and fuckin broke their door in anger. Unbelievable. It's a mask. GET THE FUCK OVER IT. Every business has the right to make up their own rules. 

• Like 1

The Gov here said masks are optional in schools now. My daughter is in elementary school and has not gotten a covid vaccine yet, so how can he think these little kids are safe from covid?  Texas needs a better leader because all Abbott cares about is Texas making money.

I still say by Fall and flu season covid will make another turn. I'm worried about this.

I so hope I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

That works for the short term but overall, pretty bad idea, imo.  If everyone did that, it would compromise herd immunity.  In order to eliminate (or reduce it to extremely low levels) you need herd immunity to work.  You can't have some of the population wearing masks and expect herd immunity to work fully because eventually those wearing the masks would likely be less resistant to the virus since they would be "less exposed" to it.  And that could eventually lead to another outbreak/pandemic, imo. 

I wasn’t talking about Covid, but avoiding colds and influenza infections. There’s likely never going to be herd immunity to either since there’s new variants all the time.  

6 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

That works for the short term but overall, pretty bad idea, imo.  If everyone did that, it would compromise herd immunity.  In order to eliminate (or reduce it to extremely low levels) you need herd immunity to work.  You can't have some of the population wearing masks and expect herd immunity to work fully because eventually those wearing the masks would likely be less resistant to the virus since they would be "less exposed" to it.  And that could eventually lead to another outbreak/pandemic, imo. 

It's all about the vaccine, if everyone got it this would be a moot point.

23 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

It's all about the vaccine, if everyone got it this would be a moot point.

and that there is the issue. So my state for example is still not even 50% fully vaxxed and has been at a standstill for a good 3 weeks. Because all that is left to be vaccinated are the anti-vaxx and anti-mask Trumpers. Sad but true. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, downzy said:

I wasn’t talking about Covid, but avoiding colds and influenza infections. There’s likely never going to be herd immunity to either since there’s new variants all the time.  

I was also going to say "or any other viruses like the flu or colds, etc".  The human body builds resistance to many airborne pathogens by being exposed to them.  It's about "viral load".   Just because you may be exposed to someone with a cold doesn't mean you will get the cold.  It's plausible that you may be exposed to a small viral load, your body naturally fights it off and creates anti-bodies to that specific strain.  By wearing a mask you could likely prevent that from happening, therefore your body will become less resistant to that particular pathogen.    @SoulMonster could likely add to this.  The "viral load" issue seems to have come to light with this pandemic. 

10 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I was also going to say "or any other viruses like the flu or colds, etc".  The human body builds resistance to many airborne pathogens by being exposed to them.  It's about "viral load".   Just because you may be exposed to someone with a cold doesn't mean you will get the cold.  It's plausible that you may be exposed to a small viral load, your body naturally fights it off and creates anti-bodies to that specific strain.  By wearing a mask you could likely prevent that from happening, therefore your body will become less resistant to that particular pathogen.    @SoulMonster could likely add to this.  The "viral load" issue seems to have come to light with this pandemic. 

Last time I checked colds don’t really kill people, save for the very sick and those likely not long for this world anyway.

But they are a nuisance.

And if wearing a mask in high traffic areas yields more cold-free living like I have experienced the last year and a half, fine by me. 

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

Last time I checked colds don’t really kill people, save for the very sick and those likely not long for this world anyway.

But they are a nuisance.

And if wearing a mask in high traffic areas yields more cold-free living like I have experienced the last year and a half, fine by me. 

Well, the reason colds (most flu's etc) don't kill people is because our bodies have become resistant to them over the years, etc by being exposed to them.  If you stop being exposed to the newer strains of these pathogens, eventually your body will not be resistant to them and they could eventually become a major issue, etc.  I'm speaking on a "broad level".  To each, their own but if you want to help society overall, in my opinion, it's best to go forward without masks. 

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Well, the reason colds (most flu's etc) don't kill people is because our bodies have become resistant to them over the years, etc by being exposed to them.  If you stop being exposed to the newer strains of these pathogens, eventually your body will not be resistant to them and they could eventually become a major issue, etc.  I'm speaking on a "broad level".  To each, their own but if you want to help society overall, in my opinion, it's best to go forward without masks. 

If that were true we would see far more infants dying of the common cold.

Colds are only deadly to those already sick. Absence of prior infection to previous cold strains does will not make possible subsequent infections years later more deadly. 

35 minutes ago, downzy said:

If that were true we would see far more infants dying of the common cold.

Colds are only deadly to those already sick. Absence of prior infection to previous cold strains does will not make possible subsequent infections years later more deadly. 

I’m not talking about just colds over the course of a couple of years.  I’m discussing airborne pathogens overall and how the human body develops resistance to these pathogens over the course of generations.   Babies have strong immune systems thanks to the antibodies they inherit from their parents, etc…those antibodies were developed over the course of generations by being exposed to various pathogens, etc.   

Some Texas hospitals are letting their staff go if they don't get the covid vaccine. I don't understand any nurse or doctor who won't get the vaccine? Even if they don't care about themselves or they have questions about the vaccine, what about the patients you have to care for? I don't think any nurse or doctor who isn't vaccinated should take care of any patients.

with more and more variants happening everyday, I think getting the vaccine is better than not getting it at all.

Japan cities are surging meanwhile Tokyo is still preparing for the Olympics. I'm afraid if any of them get sick, they will bring it back to their countries and start this virus all over again.

Every thing is opening up like the virus is gone and it's not. I still say with people flying and going out more and going on cruises, this virus is going to surge up again every where. Vaccine or not.

6 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I’m not talking about just colds over the course of a couple of years.  I’m discussing airborne pathogens overall and how the human body develops resistance to these pathogens over the course of generations.   Babies have strong immune systems thanks to the antibodies they inherit from their parents, etc…those antibodies were developed over the course of generations by being exposed to various pathogens, etc.   

Okay, so explain why the Japanese experience the longest lives on the planet but also are most likely to wear a mask? 

If what you claim is true, shouldn't Japanese people live shorter lives?   

Also, I assume then besides not wanting to wear masks to protect yourself from air-born infections you also refuse to wash your hands?

10 hours ago, downzy said:

Okay, so explain why the Japanese experience the longest lives on the planet but also are most likely to wear a mask? 

Also, I assume then besides not wanting to wear masks to protect yourself from air-born infections you also refuse to wash your hands?

The Japanese have one of the best diets in the world. The lowest amount of obese people and also a incredibly low number of people dying from cancer or heart diseases.

There has been an decrease in mortality numbers related to these diseases.

If I recall there are Japanese people who wear masks, correct. But only to protect them from allergies. Hay fever is a huge issue in Japan due to the huge amount of pollen certain trees release, these trees were planted after WWII to recover all the nature they lost. The trees they used make up for a huge percentage of Japan’s nature nowadays. 

So the Japanese wear masks to protect them from extreme cases of hay fever. Some people in China wear masks to protect them from the smog and pollution.

I get where you’re coming from with your arguments, and I have no idea whether you’re right or wrong. Just here to explain what’s up with Japan :)

Edit: I learned that because I wanted to find out why Japanese people are also one of the least likely to reproduce. The reasons for that are both strange and a bit sad.

Edited by YOUCOULDBEMINE.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

The Japanese have one of the best diets in the world. The lowest amount of obese people and also a incredibly low number of people dying from cancer or heart diseases.

If I recall there are Japanese people who wear masks, correct. But only to protect them from allergies. Hay fever is a huge issue in Japan due to the huge amount of pollen certain trees release, these trees were planted after WWII to recover all the nature they lost. The trees they used make up for a huge percentage of Japan’s nature nowadays. 

So the Japanese wear masks to protect them from extreme cases of hay fever. Some people in China wear masks to protect them from the smog and pollution.

I get where you’re coming from with your arguments, and I have no idea whether you’re right or wrong. Just here to explain what’s up with Japan :)

Edit: I learned that because I wanted to find out why Japanese people are also one of the least likely to reproduce. The reasons for that are both strange and a bit sad.

That’s all well and good, but if wearing masks helps to mitigate common cold infections, and absent previous infections to build up so called immunity, wouldn’t we being seeing more Japanese dying of cold viruses at younger ages?  The argument by Ace here is that failure to expose yourself to the common cold over years and decades will yield a less robust immune system to the point where colds could be deadly. My point is that we don’t see that happening where mask adoption is high.

19 hours ago, downzy said:

:lol:

Of course you should wash your hands and practice good hygene.  And if you want to wear a mask, I'm pretty sure no one will stop you.  That doesn't really change my point though, does it?  I'll wear a mask wherever it's mandated (it still is at my job), no issues with that.  But I'll be glad not to wear a mask where I don't need to.  This is a moot point, anyway...most of society won't likely wear a mask if they don't need to....I was just expressing my opinion, not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

:lol:

Of course you should wash your hands and practice good hygene.  And if you want to wear a mask, I'm pretty sure no one will stop you.  That doesn't really change my point though, does it?  I'll wear a mask wherever it's mandated (it still is at my job), no issues with that.  But I'll be glad not to wear a mask where I don't need to.  This is a moot point, anyway...most of society won't likely wear a mask if they don't need to....I was just expressing my opinion, not a big deal. 

My question is, if wearing a mask is detrimental to your immune system on a long-term basis (as you claim), why wash your hands? 

Wouldn't it be better for your immune system to like your hands after riding the twirl-a-wheel at the local carnival? :P 

I get that it's anecdotal, but I avoided getting a cold the last 15 months for likely wearing a mask in indoor public places.  I wouldn't mind not getting a cold again if I could and if that means wearing a mask going forward, then so be it.  

On 6/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Many citites in Japan have surges again so I guess eating healthy has no effect on covid. Tokyo is okay for now, but how long will that last when the Olympics begin?

Covid doesn't care how healthy you eat or how you live.

Regardless of covid or any other virus, washing our hands is a must just againist any germs out there. Wearing a mask also helps againist sinus infections and allergies.  Since covid I've realized how many germs are out there waiting and if wearing a mask helps, I will continue to do it. 

If covid is airborne why is it okay not to wear a mask outside? 

15 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Many citites in Japan have surges again so I guess eating healthy has no effect on covid. Tokyo is okay for now, but how long will that last when the Olympics begin?

Covid doesn't care how healthy you eat or how you live.

It does matter how healthy you live and eat. I’m an outdoor person, especially in the winter months. I camp, walk, cycle and thoroughly enjoy the cold weather. 

The upside is that I never get the flu, a cold or anything related to that. I have asthma from smoking in my teens, yet my lungs are fine as long as I use my inhaler from time to time.

I have been tested countless times when everyone around me got the virus. My girlfriend, a ton of coworkers, 4 friends and my mother got the virus. I got about 7 negative test results before I decided that I’m done with testing.

I’ll get the vaccin when the 7.5 billion other people on this planet got theirs. Because I really don’t need it anytime soon. 

But all of this has nothing to do with my explanation about Japan. I was explaining why Japanese people usually have longer lifespans than people in other countries.

I’m really sorry but I just can’t get worried by this. A real “disaster” would have killed billions, the world population still grew since the start of the coronavirus. Which is not a good thing.

But hey, that’s a problem our children will have to deal with. And there is no humane solution for overpopulation. We could do something about overconsumption, but no one seems willing to change.