COVID-19 Outbreak

UK government have just announced that proof of vaccination will be mandatory for entry to nightclubs and other busy indoor events as soon as all adults have had the opportunity to get double jabbed at the end of September.

Anti-vax loonies be triggered. :lol:   

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the fuck do they know? If I'm looking for advice from a rock band on how viruses are transmitted I will ask Queen thank you very much.

The mother of my aunt just died from covid19 in the Netherlands. No funeral and she can't go there. This situation is so fucked up.

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

UK government have just announced that proof of vaccination will be mandatory for entry to nightclubs and other busy indoor events as soon as all adults have had the opportunity to get double jabbed at the end of September.

Anti-vax loonies be triggered. :lol:   

It will be funny to watch people freak out as they are turned away at the door for not providing vax records considering they don't have much issue with giving the same strangers access to their birthday, height, and home address via their driver's license.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

As it stands everybody over 18 can now get vaccinated here. Currently I think something like 87% of the adult population have had 1 jab with about 66% having had both. At this point I think we need to press ahead and just allow things to get back to some semblance of normality while progressing the remaining vaccinations as quickly as possible.

I'm not personally against the idea of keeping masked in certain circumstances (public transport etc) nor with continuing to observe social distancing where possible but unfortunately that isn't really possible if we're to allow some of the hardest hit businesses to get back on their feet. This was always about getting to a point where we have to carry out a cost benefit analysis as to when the drawbacks outweigh the benefits of continuing with these measures.

I've been largely supportive of most of the measures taken thus far with the caveat that they have to be finite in duration. For me that duration has to come to an end when the vaccine is doing it's job and I think we've reached that point.

I didn't realize vaccination uptake was that high in the UK.  Good job.

Yeah, at that point i think it's time to move on and open things up.  People who opt not to protect themselves can live with the consequences.  

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I will have to read the article more thoroughly to answer the last questions. I will come back to that later.

Not to worry about it.  I'm not in the business of giving anyone homeworks.  Just wondering if you knew off hand.  

Thanks for the info.  It really helps.  

I'd just like to clarify, it's not the whole UK that's opened up fully today - it's England. I'm quite grateful that in Scotland we're taking a more cautious approach.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

In your case I would agree with that but we have a much higher rate of vaccination here than most countries so I think it's about time from the perspective of the UK.

I'm no expert, but I think the biggest concern being expressed by senior medics about opening up fully without being further along the road with regard to vaccination is the development of vaccine-resistant strains that could effectively render all the progress made to date completely moot: 

"The UK government’s decision to end all covid-19 restrictions in England on 19 July has been branded “dangerous and premature” by a group of 122 scientists and doctors.

Their letter to the Lancet urges the government to delay complete reopening until everyone, including adolescents, has been offered vaccination and until mitigation measures such as adequate ventilation and spacing are in place in schools.1

The letter was a follow-up to the “John Snow memo,” written in October 2020 in response to the Great Barrington declaration that advocated a herd immunity approach.234

The signatories to the latest letter, which include the former chief scientific adviser and chair of independent Scientific and Advisory Group for Emergencies, David King, and the BMA’s chair of council, Chaand Nagpaul, said the government was embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment."

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1751

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I'd just like to clarify, it's not the whole UK that's opened up fully today - it's England. I'm quite grateful that in Scotland we're taking a more cautious approach.

I'm no expert, but I think the biggest concern being expressed by senior medics about opening up fully without being further along the road with regard to vaccination is the development of vaccine-resistant strains that could effectively render all the progress made to date completely moot: 

"The UK government’s decision to end all covid-19 restrictions in England on 19 July has been branded “dangerous and premature” by a group of 122 scientists and doctors.

Their letter to the Lancet urges the government to delay complete reopening until everyone, including adolescents, has been offered vaccination and until mitigation measures such as adequate ventilation and spacing are in place in schools.1

The letter was a follow-up to the “John Snow memo,” written in October 2020 in response to the Great Barrington declaration that advocated a herd immunity approach.234

The signatories to the latest letter, which include the former chief scientific adviser and chair of independent Scientific and Advisory Group for Emergencies, David King, and the BMA’s chair of council, Chaand Nagpaul, said the government was embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment."

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1751

I was wondering about whether the UK relying predominantly on the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine and its effectiveness against the delta and delta-plus strains might make rushing to reopen a tad premature.  But looking at the numbers it does look like England isn’t seeing a corresponding spike in deaths with increase infection rates. 

Why only look at the mortality rate? A lot of people who catch Covid might not die from it but still get really sick and need many months to recuperate or suffer from lung damage. That alone should be a reason not to lift all restrictions at this point in time with the more contagious delta spreading really fast.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, downzy said:

Not to worry about it.  I'm not in the business of giving anyone homeworks.  Just wondering if you knew off hand.  

Thanks for the info.  It really helps.  

Happy to help.

The researchers tested the functions of the polymerase in vitro and observed the retro-transcription activity. As far as I can tell, they did not discuss transport of RNA into the nucleus. Presumably, the polymerase will use RNA already present in the nucleus as template for the DNA repair (RNA is synthesized in the nucleus and then transported to the cytoplasm). 

In other words, this research does not present a model for how RNA (natural, viral or from a vaccine) can enter the nucleus, only how RNA already present in the nucleus can be retro-transcribed and inserted into the genome as part of DNA repair. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Happy to help.

The researchers tested the functions of the polymerase in vitro and observed the retro-transcription activity. As far as I can tell, they did not discuss transport of RNA into the nucleus. Presumably, the polymerase will use RNA already present in the nucleus as template for the DNA repair (RNA is synthesized in the nucleus and then transported to the cytoplasm). 

In other words, this research does not present a model for how RNA (natural, viral or from a vaccine) can enter the nucleus, only how RNA already present in the nucleus can be retro-transcribed and inserted into the genome as part of DNA repair. 

I love it when you talk science. I’m nursing a semi right now. :lol: 

• GNFNR 1
5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Aren't vaccinated people having issues with the dreaded delta variant? 

Yes, my mom's cousin's son and his wife went to Mexico and are fully vaccinated, but came back with the delta variant. They were home with fever. Their young kids got it and still are running fevers. the kids are too young to be vaccinated.

Dr. Fauci said today if more people don't get vaccinated, the covid will surge again in the fall and from the delta variant more variants will occur. I'm still wearing a mask, but more and more people aren't now in stores and other places. I don't think we're out of the wood yet and like the flu vaccine, you can still get the flu because of the different strains of it, so like covid with the different variants you can still catch it even fully vaccinated. This sucks, but that's the way it is.

41 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

UK government just confirming this 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57893788

It sucks because the rest of the world is still in crisis over the covid virus and getting the vaccines to some countries is hard. Look at poor India. Those people seem to get any virus badly. 

The Olympics is next week and Japan is on lock down. How is this going to go? These people will have to return to their own countries and who knows what they will bring with them?

Since Japan is a mess with covid and more and more athletes are testing positive Toyola pulled their commercials in Tokyo. Also Japan said they might wait until the last minute to cancel the Olympics if things get worse. lol How much worse can they get? 

Already other countries are worried more athelets will get covid and bring it back home.

What a mess this is? They should have pushed it pack another year. I know the athelets are anxious to do their thing, but at what cost?

Now the schools want kids under 12 to continue wearing masks when schools begins. My kid goes back to school on August 2 and for sure she will be wearing a mask again. It sucks but she can't get the vaccine yet and I'm worried.

And the numbers are up in Dallas again. Who knew so many people wouldn't want the vaccine?

A bit shocked today learning that Norway had passed USA in vaccination now. It has slowed down remarkably over there now with so many people reluctant to get the shots. Come on my American friends, get the shot so we can move on! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Since Japan is a mess with covid and more and more athletes are testing positive Toyola pulled their commercials in Tokyo. Also Japan said they might wait until the last minute to cancel the Olympics if things get worse. lol How much worse can they get? 

Already other countries are worried more athelets will get covid and bring it back home.

What a mess this is? They should have pushed it pack another year. I know the athelets are anxious to do their thing, but at what cost?

Now the schools want kids under 12 to continue wearing masks when schools begins. My kid goes back to school on August 2 and for sure she will be wearing a mask again. It sucks but she can't get the vaccine yet and I'm worried.

And the numbers are up in Dallas again. Who knew so many people wouldn't want the vaccine?

I simply do not understand you constantly posting that everything should be locked down again yet somehow you're justified in going to a massive stadium concert. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

A bit shocked today learning that Norway had passed USA in vaccination now. It has slowed down remarkably over there now with so many people reluctant to get the shots. Come on my American friends, get the shot so we can move on! 

They're pushing hard to get people vaccinated here in the US. States are doing lotteries for all sorts of things. Several states are doing drawings for tens of thousands of dollars every few days, others have been doing prize giveaways. 

I know that shouldn't be necessary but where common sense lacks, the states are hoping greed makes up for it. 

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Just pay people at this point. $100 per dose. That'd ramp things up a bit :shrugs:

I doubt it. They'd be better off shooting commercials showing tRump getting the shot since a lot of surveys show his base is hesitant to get it. Maybe if they see footage of Don the Con actually getting the shot (I believe he did before most back in January) and hearing him say to get it, that could change their minds. Crazy that some people will let politicians not science dictate their health but at this point it couldn't hurt. 

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I doubt it. They'd be better off shooting commercials showing tRump getting the shot since a lot of surveys show his base is hesitant to get it. Maybe if they see footage of Don the Con actually getting the shot (I believe he did before most back in January) and hearing him say to get it, that could change their minds. Crazy that some people will let politicians not science dictate their health but at this point it couldn't hurt. 

If I knew they would give me money or send me on a trip I would have waited for my shots. But honestly I was just glad to get my shorts early so I wouldn't get sick and possibly die or give the virus to someone I love. So selfish of me and all of us who got our shots when they became available.

As for teens, come on, most of the teenagers today only give a shit about themselves and their selfies and their millions of online friends. Maybe if they can make a phone with the covid vaccine attached to it, more teens would get it. As long as they don't have to look up from their damn phones to get it. So sad.

😂 "the kids" aren't the problem, the parents are. 

My son is 15 and got his shots on Day 1 when his age bracket was eligible. You know why? Because I'm his father and I said so. 

So it has nothing to do with selfish teenagers, cell phones and social media. It had everything to do with responsibile parenting. 

Oh and it's still ridiculous to constantly post that the whole world should be locked down and that we're all gonna die, yet it's totally acceptable to go to a stadium concert with tens of thousands of people. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

If I knew they would give me money or send me on a trip I would have waited for my shots. But honestly I was just glad to get my shorts early so I wouldn't get sick and possibly die or give the virus to someone I love. So selfish of me and all of us who got our shots when they became available.

As for teens, come on, most of the teenagers today only give a shit about themselves and their selfies and their millions of online friends. Maybe if they can make a phone with the covid vaccine attached to it, more teens would get it. As long as they don't have to look up from their damn phones to get it. So sad.

So you spend all your forum time  panicking about COVID, but you would have waited to get vaccinated for perks?

What

• Like 1

Because of the delta variant and people not getting vaccinated, the numbers are up in Dallas as well as hospitalizations.

Schools start on Monday, August 2, and since my child is under 12 she can't get vaccinated, so I'm very worried. There won't be any virtual learning this year either. All kids have to go back to school. So far there's no mask mandate for elementary kids, but my child will continue to wear a mask.

A doctor said if we don't get more people vaccinated, by fall there will be another surge and with the flu season coming too, it might be like it was in the very beginning.

I don't understand it. We have a vaccine, which is a miracle getting one so quickly and now people are saying they won't get it. Even medical people who have seen people get sick and die, won't get it. What is wrong?  All I know is this virus is here to stay and if people don't use their common sense and get a vaccine, more variants are coming our way.  Doctors agree with this.

And now we have the Olympics and some aren't vaccinated and now some football players won't get vaccinated either. I bet nothing gets done to them either.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, ZoSoRose said:

So you spend all your forum time  panicking about COVID, but you would have waited to get vaccinated for perks?

What

I got vaccinated in February as did my family. I watch the news to keep up with what's happening and it's not good. Just worrying because my daughter starts school August 2 and she's too young to be vaccinated.  I do care about others.

Some of you just bitch about what I say. it's my right to feel and say what I want to. you don't have to agree with me, but insulting me, sucks and this is one of the reasons human beings suck. No support at all. Whatever.

I come here to air my thoughts as you guys do. Good luck if you think this virus will be gone because it won't be any time soon.

And mark my words, wait until flu season and fall. Doctors are already saying how bad the surge will be yet again.

Just now, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I got vaccinated in February as did my family. I watch the news to keep up with what's happening and it's not good. Just worrying because my daughter starts school August 2 and she's too young to be vaccinated.  I do care about others.

Some of you just bitch about what I say. it's my right to feel and say what I want to. you don't have to agree with me, but insulting me, sucks and this is one of the reasons human beings suck. No support at all. Whatever.

I come here to air my thoughts as you guys do. Good luck if you think this virus will be gone because it won't be any time soon.

And mark my words, wait until flu season and fall. Doctors are already saying how bad the surge will be yet again.

When did I insult you there?

1. Never said the virus will be gone

2. I, and many other posters, have provided you with literal paragraphs of reason that you ignore

3. You spew nonsense

My last post was in regards to you constantly panicking about current events, but then saying you would have waited to get protection for stupid perks 

That is stupid AF

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Because of the delta variant and people not getting vaccinated, the numbers are up in Dallas as well as hospitalizations.

Schools start on Monday, August 2, and since my child is under 12 she can't get vaccinated, so I'm very worried. There won't be any virtual learning this year either. All kids have to go back to school. So far there's no mask mandate for elementary kids, but my child will continue to wear a mask.

A doctor said if we don't get more people vaccinated, by fall there will be another surge and with the flu season coming too, it might be like it was in the very beginning.

I don't understand it. We have a vaccine, which is a miracle getting one so quickly and now people are saying they won't get it. Even medical people who have seen people get sick and die, won't get it. What is wrong?

Americans aren't very bright.