COVID-19 Outbreak

adamsapple

Did get good news today from CNN, hope they are right, Phyizer has a vaccine for 5 to 11 year olds. If the FDA approves it, it might be ready by the end of October or early November. I hope this is true. I want my daughter vaccinated asap.

There are millions of kids under 11 so this would get more people vaccinated and closer to herd immunity.

Moderna is developing a combined flu/Covid-19 vaccine now. 

That makes a lot of sense to me. It would target two viruses that evolve quickly so an annual bi-functional vaccine against these two would not only results in much less lives lost to Covid-19, but also to flu, and reduce the societal costs of people being away from work and unproductive from both these diseases.

To anyone afraid of needles or just worried about vaccines: I think you should start mentally preparing yourself to annual inoculations. We have for a long time accepted that only risk groups get vaccinated against the flu, but after Covid-19 our views on vaccinations against diseases are changing and I don't think we will accept it in the future. Combining these shots sounds like a perfect solution.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Did get good news today from CNN, hope they are right, Phyizer has a vaccine for 5 to 11 year olds. If the FDA approves it, it might be ready by the end of October or early November. I hope this is true. I want my daughter vaccinated asap.

There are millions of kids under 11 so this would get more people vaccinated and closer to herd immunity.

That's great but lets get those kiddos 0-5...which are in my school. Unvaxxed and unmasked. We need to protect them too. Hopefully soon!!!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, SoulMonster said:

You enlist about 50,000 people to be part of a clinical trial where half of them get the vaccine and half of them get placebo, but you don't tell them (or their doctor) if they got the vaccine or the placebo. Then you follow them for about 2 months and record the following:

- Who gets Covid-19 and who doesn't. This tells you how well the vaccine protects against getting infected.

- For those who get Covid-19, you record the severity of the symptoms. This tells you how well the vaccine protects you against getting sick if infected.

- And you also record any adverse side effects of the vaccine. This tells you how safe the vaccine is.

Oh, well. Or maybe it just shows that not everyone gets it and that not everyone who gets it reacts badly to it. Who's to say that someone who's vaccinated, got it and had a mild or no reaction wouldn't also have had a mild reaction without the vaccine?

On 9/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, downzy said:

We limit our exposure to people who have been vaccinated.  We all wear masks in large outdoors social situations or in all indoor social situations.  We have at home rapid Covid-19 antigen tests that we take regularly.  We take it seriously since it's a serious virus and we respect and have concern for everyone else.  We also respect the fact that our actions can affect others, which can't be said about those who shun the vaccine based on nothing more than ignorance or ego.

Well, good on you that you don't think getting vaccinated is all the solution and the only thing to do. Though it's only vaccinated, who can pass it on and vaccinated are less likely to test themselves regularly. Bad on you that you lump everyone refusing to get the vaccination (yet) together and try to imply that they are ignorant, not treating it right and careless. But whatever, everybody does what they need to do for themselves.

Parents in different school districts in Texas are still fighting over masks. So sick of this. I think we should be free to wear a mask, but when it comes to our younger kids, a mask is the only protection for them now. Why is this a problem for some parents?

6 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

That's great but lets get those kiddos 0-5...which are in my school. Unvaxxed and unmasked. We need to protect them too. Hopefully soon!!!

I know I'm so happy to hear about this. Maybe by late October or early November.  It's bad enough waiting and then waiting another 6 weeks until their second shot. We are getting our flu shots on Monday, so that's something.

We all have to keep the younger kids safe until the vaccination is approved and given out. I still don't know why some parents don't get this?

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Moderna is developing a combined flu/Covid-19 vaccine now. 

That makes a lot of sense to me. It would target two viruses that evolve quickly so an annual bi-functional vaccine against these two would not only results in much less lives lost to Covid-19, but also to flu, and reduce the societal costs of people being away from work and unproductive from both these diseases.

To anyone afraid of needles or just worried about vaccines: I think you should start mentally preparing yourself to annual inoculations. We have for a long time accepted that only risk groups get vaccinated against the flu, but after Covid-19 our views on vaccinations against diseases are changing and I don't think we will accept it in the future. Combining these shots sounds like a perfect solution.

Well, I got my covid vaccines and will get my flu shot on Monday. It would be good if this worked, but since all the other vaccines are by themselves, why combine these two?

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Though it's only vaccinated, who can pass it on and vaccinated are less likely to test themselves regularly.

Again, you're far less likely to contract the virus if you have been vaccinated.  So yes you can still pass it on if you become infected, your odds of being infected in the first place is far less than if you choose not to be vaccinated.

Bad on you that you lump everyone refusing to get the vaccination (yet) together and try to imply that they are ignorant, not treating it right and careless

So there's a valid reason (save for the very rare few) for not getting the vaccine?

If it isn't ignorance, selfishness, or carelessness, what explains why someone wouldn't get vaccinated to protect themselves and others?

But whatever, everybody does what they need to do for themselves.

And that's the problem.

This situation wouldn't have been so bad if enough people gave a shit about others.  Instead too many decided to view the situation as one concerning their freedoms rather a health and safety matter.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Oh, well. Or maybe it just shows that not everyone gets it and that not everyone who gets it reacts badly to it. Who's to say that someone who's vaccinated, got it and had a mild or no reaction wouldn't also have had a mild reaction without the vaccine?

The data coming out of the clinical trial that I outlined above will give the probability of any given individual getting infected with or without the vaccine, and getting severely sick with or without the vaccine. From these data you also get the probability of someone who experienced mild to no symptoms after having been vaccinated would have experienced similarly mild to no symptoms if he had never been vaccinated.

It's a go for the Pfizer booster shot, but I got Moderna vaccine, so I'll be waiting a little longer.

Just want my daughter and other kids under 12 to get their vaccines asap. then I can relax a little bit.

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

Same here, just from october 1.

Everytime the numbers go down, cities and countries lift the restrictions and then the numbers go up again.

Two women from The View tested positive and had to leave the show today. And all those women are vaccinated. I will still distance and wear a mask. This virus isn't go anywhere anytime soon.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

It's a go for the Pfizer booster shot, but I got Moderna vaccine, so I'll be waiting a little longer.

Just want my daughter and other kids under 12 to get their vaccines asap. then I can relax a little bit.

Everytime the numbers go down, cities and countries lift the restrictions and then the numbers go up again.

Two women from The View tested positive and had to leave the show today. And all those women are vaccinated. I will still distance and wear a mask. This virus isn't go anywhere anytime soon.

Me too still will wear mask. Still seem bit premature to be careless. Think it will be step by step. We'll see.

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Tomorrow at 4pm we are lifting the last of our Covid-19 restrictions. No mask mandate, no social distancing.

Nice. 

I'm here in Detroit where restrictions have been lifted for a while. I just dropped my wife off at the airport this morning and she's headed to Las Vegas where there's a mask mandate still. Not sure what their rules are for social distancing though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Oh and my state, yeah us and Idaho are doing crisis of care. Yup. That's where we are at.  

I'm sorry things are so fucked up there. Hopefully not for too much longer.

Heard from my aunt recently(married a guy from Missouri they live in Arkansas. Try to imagine Trump supporter types brainwashed to totality.) It's amazing what some people believe.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, marlingrl03 said:

Oh and my state, yeah us and Idaho are doing crisis of care. Yup. That's where we are at.  

Texas continues to ignore any numbers. The fair opened on Friday and it seems like tons of people are going to it not worrying about covid anymore.

I'm still wearing a mask and distancing. I'm glad so many people now are having their groceries delivered or a pick up so the stores are not very crowded anymore.

Just waiting for the okay for my daughter to get her vaccine. Getting our flu shots today, so it may help a bit. Schools are still requiring masks and keeping the kids as safe as possible.

It's a shame that this whole mask and covid virus is still being used as a political tool.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, Ratam said:

Me too still will wear mask. Still seem bit premature to be careless. Think it will be step by step. We'll see.

I agree wish more people felt this way.

China is now working on turning garbage into medical tools. Wish they would try to find a real cure for covid, since it did start in China no matter how much they deny it.

I guess this is a good thing too since there's too much garbage in our world, but covid is still alive and well.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, SoulMonster said:

It is this line of thinking that is the root of the problem. It is all about themselves. Me, me, me! They don't realize -- or don't care about it -- that we vaccinate ourselves to protect the vulnerable in society, not those who are not in danger. I would likely not suffer any bad consequences if I got sick with Covid-19. I don't have any underlying conditions. I am fairly youngish. But I still chose to vaccinate myself because I don't want to be a moronic transferrer of the disease. I don't want to be a strand in the web of spread. I don't want to have to live with the knowledge that the disease moved from me to someone who got seriously sick or even die, like my mother, my wife, maybe my children (who knows?), or anyone else, known or unknown, out of nothing but my own hubris and selfishness. I accept that I live in a society and with that comes certain obligations. To other people. It is not just about me.

I agree if anything this virus has shown how some people just care about themselves and don't care about anyone else. I'm not really surprised by this.

Even though the vaccine is available to 16 and over, many teens still aren't vaccinated. Their parents have to okay it and I guess they aren't vaccinated either.  It just boogles my mind about how many people just don't see the big picture. 

covid hasn't slowed down any and more variants seem to be coming up. I for one am sick of it, but I sitll wear a mask and try to do stuff to stay safe especially since my daughter isn't vaccinated yet.

Mother nature knows just what to do to show how stupid and selfish many humans are.

We are one world and we all effect each other whether you believe it or not. I would hate to get a child infected. That should be a motivation to get vaccinated and do what's right.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I agree if anything this virus has shown how some people just care about themselves and don't care about anyone else. I'm not really surprised by this.

Even though the vaccine is available to 16 and over, many teens still aren't vaccinated. Their parents have to okay it and I guess they aren't vaccinated either.  It just boogles my mind about how many people just don't see the big picture. 

covid hasn't slowed down any and more variants seem to be coming up. I for one am sick of it, but I sitll wear a mask and try to do stuff to stay safe especially since my daughter isn't vaccinated yet.

Mother nature knows just what to do to show how stupid and selfish many humans are.

We are one world and we all effect each other whether you believe it or not. I would hate to get a child infected. That should be a motivation to get vaccinated and do what's right.

It actually HAS slowed down, probably mainly b/c of vaccines and the fact that a lot of people already been infected. I understand that the situation in some states in the US are still problematic, though. 

I for one am not worried about new variants. People listening to the actual and rational experts on the matter should'nt be. This is NOT the end of the world. There are a lot more serious matters that you could worry about.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Homefuck said:

I understand that the situation in some states in the US are still problematic, though. 

I am glad you said this....because yeah these are our headlines nowadays. 

Covid News: Delta Variant Is Overwhelming Alaska, Site of Worst U.S. Outbreak

I've been spending a lot of time landscaping the side of my house.  My neighbour who lives besides me has her father rent her basement from her.  So often he comes out and talks to me as I move dirt around and regrade the space. 

Last night he told how the vaccines are dangerous and will cause cancer in a very short period of time.  That he wanted no part of it and wasn't getting vaccinated.

He smoked three cigarettes over the course of our fifteen minute conversation.

• Haha 4