COVID-19 Outbreak

adamsapple

On 11/22/2021 at 6:27 AM, SoulMonster said:

What alternatives to social restrictions and vaccines do we have?

Working out, eating healthy, etc. 

I may be wrong, but I believe most COVID deaths are folks who are overweight. I know it's not easy, and I'm in the journey right now getting in shape, but it's possible for most to acquire and maintain a healthy weight with diet and exercise. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

People who refuse to get vaccinated made me angry but I'm pretty much over that now. We just have to learn how to navigate through this as a society and deal with these surges.

I totally agree with you. This is what most doctors are saying. I doubt covid will be fully gone, but those of us who are fully vaccinated have to keep ourselves safe and those we care about. I still wear a mask. Most places in Dallas want you to wear a mask, but some don't. I think wearing a mask is the way to go and it helps me stay healthy from other infections. too

Maybe little by little the more we vaccinated become the majority we will stay safe and well.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, RussTCB said:

We both got Moderna for our first shots, so I just went with that for my booster. They say you can mix & match but since we had a choice, I just went with the same one. 

We did the same one too. Not sure about mixing them. My daughter got pfizer we all got moderna. I did hear that if anyone got J&J you could get either booster.

My daughter gets her second shot in a couple of weeks. I do hope she'll not get too many bad side effects. She was good after the first one. Sometimes younger people get more side effects, but it's better than the virus.

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Working out, eating healthy, etc. 

I was talking about alternatives to how we as a society can protect all those people who are vulnerable to this disease. What we are doing is to protect them through social distancing and vaccinations. Eating healthy and not being obese may offer some advantage to you, and although it would be great if everybody was healthy for thousands of reasons, it is not much of a quick solution to an ongoing pandemic considering that such lifestyle changes takes months or years to be effective, nor would it make much of a difference to the majority of those who die from Covid-19 who are people over 65 and die not because they are obese or generally unhealthy, but because they are frail, nor those more rare cases of young and healthy people who die because of problems with their immune systems. My point is, even if we all ate reasonably well and none were obese, this would still be a difficult disease to handle. Don't get me wrong, I am all for people being healthy, but it simply isn't enough and it simply won't help us now.

And although you didn't say it and probably only meant it as a means to lose weight, I would also point out that there is an ongoing misconception that we can boost our immune system from eating well. That is wrong. As far as we know, we can only restore a broken immune system by changes in our diet, we can't make an immune system that is working normally to get even better against diseases. So unless you eat so poorly you have managed to weaken your  immune system -- which is very rare -- eating better won't make any difference to your immune system. And in a sense that is good, you don't want a more efficient immune system than what is normal, because then it is likely it will start attacking your own cells and you get all kinds of problems (=autoimmune diseases). A hyper active immune system can be very, very bad for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I was talking about alternatives to how we as a society can protect all those people who are vulnerable to this disease. What we are doing is to protect them through social distancing and vaccinations. Eating healthy and not being obese may offer some advantage to you, and although it would be great if everybody was healthy for thousands of reasons, it is not much of a quick solution to an ongoing pandemic considering that such lifestyle changes takes months or years to be effective, nor would it make much of a difference to the majority of those who die from Covid-19 who are people over 65 and die not because they are obese or generally unhealthy, but because they are frail, nor those more rare cases of young and healthy people who die because of problems with their immune systems. My point is, even if we all ate reasonably well and none were obese, this would still be a difficult disease to handle. Don't get me wrong, I am all for people being healthy, but it simply isn't enough and it simply won't help us now.

And although you didn't say it and probably only meant it as a means to lose weight, I would also point out that there is an ongoing misconception that we can boost our immune system from eating well. That is wrong. As far as we know, we can only restore a broken immune system by changes in our diet, we can't make an immune system that is working normally to get even better against diseases. So unless you eat so poorly you have managed to weaken your  immune system -- which is very rare -- eating better won't make any difference to your immune system. And in a sense that is good, you don't want a more efficient immune system than what is normal, because then it is likely it will start attacking your own cells and you get all kinds of problems (=autoimmune diseases). A hyper active immune system can be very, very bad for you.

Essentially, the alternatives being offered by the anti-vax crowd breaks down into two categories:

1) Already be healthy

2) Try "medical alternatives" that have no empirical data that shows any connection between covid-19 infection/afflictions and use of these alternatives

In other words, if you're not already healthy and/or willing to listen to internet experts about the virtues of ivermectin, get yourself fucked.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

@LAGuns87: It would be really cool of you could present those of facts of yours that show that the vaccines aren't good for us. Can you do that?

@Sisyphus: And you mentioned something about "alternatives to be considered" to -- I assume -- vaccines and social restrictions - what was that?

Nah, waste of time. Might as well try to turn a Jihadist away from his religion.

24 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

Nah, waste of time. Might as well try to turn a Jihadist away from his religion.

I think the rest of the world would appreciate facts that show that the vaccines don't work. Why not tell the rest of the forum and not specifically me, then?

• Like 1

Different vaccines have worked on so many viruses and have gotten rid of many too.  I have all my vaccines since I was a child and my daughter has all hers too.  I don't want my daughter to get any viruses that have been eliminated, so to me vaccines work and keep us healthy.

Still not sure what the religious exemption would be? Don't think it says anything about vaccines in the bible, not sure about other religions? 

Anyway two actors on General Hospitals have been fired for not getting vaccinated, which sucks, but it's mandated, so maybe they will change their minds, but they don't seem to be. They both are anti vaccinations and don't seem to care they are fired. Oh well, since the other actors are vaccinated, I'm sure there are other actors out there you can take their place.

Some countries around the world are still seeing surges and protesting getting vaccinated. Don't they want this virus to slow down or go away all together? I know I do.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, RussTCB said:

That's the big bummer regarding the vaccines for me. I was hoping they'd be FAR more effective in stopping the spread. 

It's tough to tell since there are still huge pockets of the population that refuse to be vaccinated.

According to the latest data from the CDC, an unvaccinated person is six times more likely to be infected than a vaccinated person.  That's fairly significant and likely enough to reduce the transmission rate below 1 R0.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, downzy said:

It's tough to tell since there are still huge pockets of the population that refuse to be vaccinated.

According to the latest data from the CDC, an unvaccinated person is six times more likely to be infected than a vaccinated person.  That's fairly significant and likely enough to reduce the transmission rate below 1 R0.  

That's fair, I hadn't really thought about that aspect. 

5 hours ago, downzy said:

This isn't good...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-25/africa-cdc-plans-talks-on-new-covid-variant-in-south-africa

There are lot of new strains of Covid-19, but most only have a small(ish) number of mutations. 

This one seems to be different.

Oh Jesus H Christ. 

Not a thread to read if you’re looking for good news. Still yet to be determined the CFR of this new strain, but one thing is for sure, it sounds like it’s far more infectious than the Delta strain.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, downzy said:

Kind of mind blowing that more Americans died of covid-19 in 2021 than in 2020 (and we still have a month to go).

Thanks anti-vaxxers. 

The lack of logic in this statement is absolutely shocking. Not very confident in your "vacccine" are you?

50 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

The lack of logic in this statement is absolutely shocking. Not very confident in your "vacccine" are you?

The vaccines are holding up very well against covid-19.

What's not holding up well is the large swath of the United States who refuse to get vaccinated, driving up hospitalization rates and deaths.

Completely unnecessary; utterly avoidable. 

• Like 3

Damn it! Another freakin covid variant coming from Africa and doctors are worried the vaccine might not help against it. Saying to get the booster now.  Meanwhile it's black Friday and God help us all!

If this isn't a good reason for people who aren't vaccinated to get vaccinated, I don't know what is?

Some US states are surging again too. Michigan needs 1000 nurses to help with the care in their hospitals. Meanwhile, we had Thanksgiving yesterday and Black Friday today and Christmas and New Years, it's looking like 2022 won't be any better than the past 2 years.

Everyone stay safe and healthy.

7 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Damn it! Another freakin covid variant coming from Africa and doctors are worried the vaccine might not help against it. Saying to get the booster now.  Meanwhile it's black Friday and God help us all!

If this isn't a good reason for people who aren't vaccinated to get vaccinated, I don't know what is?

Some US states are surging again too. Michigan needs 1000 nurses to help with the care in their hospitals. Meanwhile, we had Thanksgiving yesterday and Black Friday today and Christmas and New Years, it's looking like 2022 won't be any better than the past 2 years.

Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Yeah, we aren’t doing so well in Michigan! You were right about this not being over a few months back. I was wrong, sorry

22 hours ago, downzy said:

Kind of mind blowing that more Americans died of covid-19 in 2021 than in 2020 (and we still have a month to go).

Thanks anti-vaxxers. 

Your welcome. Considering I've never been sick, tested, had a shot or wear masks and I'm still alive. Yet those who are vaccinated claim to be getting sick. I'm pretty sure the Vax is supposed to prevent you from getting Covid otherwise it's not a Vax! You Lame-o's can continue hiding in your house or walking around like zombies with your face covered, even when you are by yourself. I'll never do it. If I thought my life was in danger, I'd do something about it, but it's not so Life goes on.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Your welcome. Considering I've never been sick, tested, had a shot or wear masks and I'm still alive. Yet those who are vaccinated claim to be getting sick. I'm pretty sure the Vax is supposed to prevent you from getting Covid otherwise it's not a Vax! You Lame-o's can continue hiding in your house or walking around like zombies with your face covered, even when you are by yourself. I'll never do it. If I thought my life was in danger, I'd do something about it, but it's not so Life goes on.

*you're 

Also.....arent you still the guy who told all of us that Trump was definitely going to win the election?