"I've always loved touring": Uncirculated Izzy Stradlin 1993 Interview [The Tapes Archive podcast]

ludurigan

1 hour ago, soon said:

Izzy even emailed Rolling Stones like general use phone line and left a message to talk. And when RS finally found the answering machine message Izzy left they reached out to him for an interview. Iirc they never heard back from Izzy! :facepalm: Headline would've been "Izzys back, and he's dishing on Guns. New single featuring Matt Sorum on drums, out now!" That would move some units!

Instead they made this cartoon to try and get some mileage out of their 'Izzy sighting.' I cant seem to find it online now. Im certain you know the one Im talking about. They just animated Izzy leaving the actual phone message.

Here it is:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3256-2016-03-03-rolling-stone-hear-izzy-stradlin-deny-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion

He sent it to say that the twitter account was his and that he wasn't involved in the spring 2016 reunion shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Here it is:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3256-2016-03-03-rolling-stone-hear-izzy-stradlin-deny-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion

He sent it to say that the twitter account was his and that he wasn't involved in the spring 2016 reunion shows.

Classic Izzy when the guy wanted substantiated proof and Izzy totally shut him down. 

• Like 1

soooooo let's put it this way...you play a guitar, right? write music, form a band and you put everything on a dice in order to suceed.

you become an addict/get clean, play in the biggest band on the planet, play stadiums earn millions and you decide to be the first in 37 others who leave a crazy singer.

Few years and like 37 members down the line the singer says 'oh, he didn't like touring'.

I mean for real... do you buy that shit?

Slash was always my fav Gunner, but if I had to belive the truth, it would be the one from Iz/Matt/Gilby.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Izzy had joined twitter before that. He created the account in early 2016, to address the speculation about whether he would be part of the reunion or not. Many people thought that the account was fake. Then Izzy confirmed it was really his account to Rolling Stone in March 2016, also confirming that he wouldn't be part of the reunion.

------------

Speaking of uncirculated Izzy interviews, there are a few here that most of you probably haven't read before, as well as many other GnR articles and interviews that haven't been circulating online (in addition to the known ones):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index

(Click on the date of each article to read it)

This one is the most recently added Izzy interview (we added it today) from a German magazine in 1989:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4501-1989-09-dd-metal-hammer-germany-revolution-calling-izzy

yes you are correct, that's when and why izzy joined twitter

i have read that german magazine interview yesterday when you guys sent it by email and despite the fact that izzy was drunk and/or stoned on the party (!) where he gave the interview, there are some extremely cool quotes on it

izzy says "I wrote mr brownstone"

think about you we already knew he wrote but he just confirms it

chicago was not exactly how the other guys have been saying

and there is more!

a brilliant interview!

20 hours ago, soon said:

True. And you've reminded me of the story when Axl and Izzy met and Izzy says Axl had a notebook with him and was listing things Izzy did and said, going back years. That alone might make someone prone to delete their tweets!

fuck, i didn't remember that! you are absolutely right!

20 hours ago, soon said:

And again with some of these Duff quotes I note the most subtlest, passive aggressive, undermining of Izzys sobriety. Its just a hunch I get sometimes and couldnt prove. Almost like Duff is calling him a 'sober drunk.'

never thought of that... but you could be right! that would be cheap and low but somehow it fits with the blonde punk as fuck bass player!

20 hours ago, soon said:

FP Money couldve done well if promoted. But Matts playing on it is not Matts best imho.

i think FP Money is just a "common" and "good" izzy song, i don't see any single potential on it

don't get me wrong, i like the song but i don't feel the magic on that one

from the more recent izzy songs, i would say baby rann and upside were a bit better

but still not magic

and yeah, matt was definitely not at his best on that song!

i think they must have done like two or three takes of the song and izzy goes

- that's it boys!

then matt goes

- what?

- yeah

- but i was just thinking about doing this fill right before the chorus when you play that... 

- nah man, no! we are done!

- but i think i could...

- hey matt that take was great, it's done man, it's ok, everything is all right man, relax

hahahahahahahhahaha

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i think FP Money is just a "common" and "good" izzy song, i don't see any single potential on it

don't get me wrong, i like the song but i don't feel the magic on that one

from the more recent izzy songs, i would say baby rann and upside were a bit better

but still not magic

and yeah, matt was definitely not at his best on that song!

i think they must have done like two or three takes of the song and izzy goes

- that's it boys!

then matt goes

- what?

- yeah

- but i was just thinking about doing this fill right before the chorus when you play that... 

- nah man, no! we are done!

- but i think i could...

- hey matt that take was great, it's done man, it's ok, everything is all right man, relax

hahahahahahahhahaha

LOL, I bet you are exactly correct! That break down section on the tom toms sounds like it was the first time Sorum heard the song and was just 'jamming along' to get a feel of it.

And it memory serves, Matt has commented that he felt rushed to create his parts for UYI. He has stated that he sometimes hears a UYI track and wishes he couldve had more time to craft his parts.

As far as songs with potential to be hits, I agree that Baby Rann was a stronger choice for a single. He even made a more proper video for that one! But with the lyrics of FP Money and Matt, I think it couldve worked enough. Because the added value of the controversy it wouldve caused.

Oh, also. Your Duff nicknames reminded me of an old term from the womens thread. Iirc some of the ladies over there called some of Duffs stage moves "Giraffing." Like when he runs around that it reminded them of a giraffe :lol:

• Like 1