Lithorati Podcast - Episode 1 - 2016 Lithograph Review (Part 1)

5 minutes ago, WildStar said:

I've never understood the obsession with Lithos. It's just a poster. Some are good, some OK and some absolute rubbish. 

Theyre just cool keepsakes from the shows. A t shirt will get worn and faded, the rest of the stuff is cheap and expendable, these are tailored for each show

All of the "ithos" are absolutely amateur.

Look at bands like The Raconteurs, Primus, Tool, etc...

They get a range of good to excellent and very well known artists to make posters, and they are screen printed.

They aren't even lithographs anyhow. They are just inkjet printed, prints...more of a giclee than anything. Management just has no idea what they are talking about and calls them whatever term they think fits.

To be fair, I work in art and work with many incredibly talented artists, so my view is skewed and I understand that people just like having a poster form the show they went to.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Theyre just cool keepsakes from the shows. A t shirt will get worn and faded, the rest of the stuff is cheap and expendable, these are tailored for each show

I know but I wouldn't want my memory of the London shows being a Beefeater and a Murderer. 

My t shirts never fade. I highly recommend Percil Colour Gel 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

All of the "ithos" are absolutely amateur.

Look at bands like The Raconteurs, Primus, Tool, etc...

They get a range of good to excellent and very well known artists to make posters, and they are screen printed.

They aren't even lithographs anyhow. They are just inkjet printed, prints...more of a giclee than anything. Management just has no idea what they are talking about and calls them whatever term they think fits.

Some bands get some really great artwork for their show posters, and some bands use some pretty bad artwork. GNR are kind of average, they're mostly nice lithos/posters but I can only think of maybe 5 from the whole tour that were really good/great.

That said, I like the ones I've got... the Vegas 2016 2nd night is my least favourite but @amaninjapan praised that one in the podcast :lol:

The 2016 chilean litho sucked so much.... i bought 2.... i put mine in the trash, the 2nd i send it to a japanese gunner collector.

Good work doing this. Very gunner!! 

Maybe gannerish is the word.

Edited by axlvai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Some bands get some really great artwork for their show posters, and some bands use some pretty bad artwork. GNR are kind of average, they're mostly nice lithos/posters but I can only think of maybe 5 from the whole tour that were really good/great.

That said, I like the ones I've got... the Vegas 2016 2nd night is my least favourite but @amaninjapan praised that one in the podcast :lol:

I like Night 2 because it set a standard for the rest of the lithos to come. Night 1 didn't REALLY have a Vegas theme apart from the club/hearts/spades/diamonds, but Night 2, Arian Buhler made sure that you could clearly see the litho was for Las Vegas. From then on, for the most part, the lithos had a conspicuous city-centered theme. I know other fans of posters from such bands like Dave Matthews and Tool where the artwork might be great, but the designs have nothing to do with the city, which is almost a dealbreaker for me.

Additionally, depending on what other four lithos you compare it to, Vegas 2 might be my least favorite too :P Still doesn't mean I don't like it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

I like Night 2 because it set a standard for the rest of the lithos to come. Night 1 didn't REALLY have a Vegas theme apart from the club/hearts/spades/diamonds, but Night 2, Arian Buhler made sure that you could clearly see the litho was for Las Vegas. From then on, for the most part, the lithos had a conspicuous city-centered theme. I know other fans of posters from such bands like Dave Matthews and Tool where the artwork might be great, but the designs have nothing to do with the city, which is almost a dealbreaker for me.

Additionally, depending on what other four lithos you compare it to, Vegas 2 might be my least favorite too :P Still doesn't mean I don't like it.

Fair enough, I prefer the night 1 design despite it not really being Vegas-themed. It's a fairly simple design but it's well done, with the vertical guns and roses in the center it's more like an acknowledgement that the band was finally back for a big show instead of 'GNR plays x city'. There was always something about the night 2 style that I didn't like, it does capture a sort of sleazy neon vibe but it came across like something from a Motley Crue poster. There's a cheesy element to it, but it's still well-done.

The lithos I have are Vegas 1 & 2, Seattle, Vancouver and Gorge btw, so those are what I compare it to.

I love how much talk there was about having to see some in person to fully appreciate. NJ night 1, Arizona, and Pittsburgh are three of my all time favorites and it's all because of the close up details. Even my Cincinnati was kicked up a notch when I was able to get up super close and see these vibrant blues and yellows that I didnt know existed. 

I cant wait to hear part 2. If you are taking suggestions for the awards you alluded too:

Best theme, best hidden item [like the NJ state outline in the NJ Devil print], best color scheme, most underrated, most overrated etc. etc.

And you guys should mention that Ebay seller Warpig and the authenticity of his stuff.

I dont know how many people could legitimately be into this sort of thing but god damn I'm appreciative of the fact that you guys took the time to do it.

Killer job!

• Like 1

I could easily see the designs going the other way - that is to say, having very little to do with each city. Metallica and Tool posters have nothing to do with the city, Pearl Jam sometimes ventures far away from a city theme too. If not for Vegas 2 and the early designs, it would have been very easy to just disregard themes and just pump out random designs.

@amaninjapan the original prices for the rocket queen variants from the artist were 45$ for the orange and 100$ for the foil, I went back to my Etsy account to verify , I was lucky enough to get some from the artist at the time , wish I grabbed a purple one  as well I believe those were 80$ at the time 

Edited by Tat2brian77
  • Like 1