Will Guns cancel the 2020 shows due to COVID-19? Update: tour has been paused

56 minutes ago, k12 said:

How dumb and selfish do you have to be to say this? I am guessing you think Trump is the greatest right?

What does politics have to do with this?  The mortality rate will be about 1%. The majority of the deaths have been elderly or people with preexisting conditions...  Just like the flu.  Over 10k people in the US die from the flu each year.  Strange they don’t cancel every event during flu season every year.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1987b said:

This seems like the most over blown, media driven hysteria of our lifetime.  The mortality rate is the same as the standard flue.  CNN etc keep pushing the narrative but the facts don’t support their ridiculous fear mongering. I never bought the “mass media is biased” narrative until now. CNN’s treatment of the coronavirus is borderline scandalous. Updating every day with a blaring headline about a disease that is completely harmless to healthy people under 70 simply because fear leads to clicks is outrageous. 

Basically you mean..."yeah this hasn't impacted on me yet, so it's no big deal" right? 

It is possible to recognise and acknowledge a global health problem without resorting to "it's no big deal". That's as ludicrous a statement as any (perceived) hysteria. 

We're back to where we were a few pages ago though - people with no health, medical, organizational or scientific knowledge making bold claims about a virus that they know nothing about. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Countries are on lockdown, concerts and events are being cancelled left and right and a few thousand people have died so far, but it’s only media driven hysteria, right?

Do a little research on those deaths. Did you go to sporting events or concerts during flu season last year? 

Just now, 1987b said:

What does politics have to do with this?  The mortality rate will be about 1%. The majority of the deaths have been elderly or people with preexisting conditions...  Just like the flu.  Over 10k people in the US die from the flu each year.  Strange they don’t cancel every event during flu season every year.  

WAY over 10k.  The global overreaction to this virus is insane.  When China first started taking action to stop the spread it seemed like it could have a mortality rate like SARS or MERS in the 15% or more category.

The seasonal flu has an annual vaccination in most developed countries. No vaccination for COVID-19. The conversation about going into public spaces is apples and oranges in light of the amount of people vaccinated against the seasonal flu each year.

• Like 2

Here you go, guys. The truth, as usual, is on both sides, or let's say somewhere in between. The C-virus is undisputedly horrible, especially in China. However, it is "just" a flu, not a pestilence, and what the mass media have done out of it is just heinous. Here are some numbers, which are good btw. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

WAY over 10k.  The global overreaction to this virus is insane.  When China first started taking action to stop the spread it seemed like it could have a mortality rate like SARS or MERS in the 15% or more category.

Right. Great to have an expert on board. 

Meanwhile in the real world.....

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You do know that today 133 people so far have died in Italy alone right?! 

Mortality rate in italy is about 3%. I couldn’t find details on the people in my 2 minute google search but I assume most of those deaths are in the same demographic that the flu is fatal to.  I’m struggling to see a statistical difference from the flu that the world deals with every year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1987b said:

Mortality rate in italy is about 3%. I couldn’t find details on the people in my 2 minute google search but I assume most of those deaths are in the same demographic that the flu is fatal to.  I’m struggling to see a statistical difference from the flu that the world deals with every year. 

You're right. All those countries, governments and health organisations are overreacting. No worries guys! 

In other news- the German health minister has just stated that all events over 1000 capacity should be cancelled. No idea if this will come to fruition though of course. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You're right. All those countries, governments and health organisations are overreacting. No worries guys! 

In other news- the German health minister has just stated that all events over 1000 capacity should be cancelled. No idea if this will come to fruition though of course. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

53 minutes ago, 1987b said:

Do a little research on those deaths. Did you go to sporting events or concerts during flu season last year? 

With a flu shot, yes. There is no vaccine for this. Also I’m not worried about me dying or having complications specifically, I am only 20 and healthy and the virus is not impacting people my age as hard. I would hate to spread it to say, my parents or other older citizens who could legitimately die from it. Look beyond yourself and think about how it can impact the world.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

The death rate of the flu in the US is more of a reflection on the US health care system than anything else. In most other 1st world countries the death rate is relatively low due to the availability of health care at no cost including the elderly. Most deaths in the US linked to the flu is unfortunately elderly people who cannot afford a doctors visit or hospital visit due to costs involved and unfortunately pass away at home, often alone. That's the difference and something Americans struggle to understand. This virus has killed a large majority of people across different age groups and in different countries. This is not a virus that is limited in scope or has a ready fix as a flu shot or visiting your local pharmacy for some cold or flu relief. 

Thats is way countries around the world are taking precautions and understandably so. 

I assume from your username that you do not live in the US.  The death rate of the flu in the US IS relatively low just like most other first world countries.  Also, have you ever heard of Medicare or Medicaid?  Your statement about elderly people dying of the flu because they can't afford a doctor's visit or hospital visit is not true.  In fact, any hospital that accepts payments from either of these two government programs must treat anybody with an emergency condition without regard for their ability to pay for the services.

The flu shot is not a "ready fix" as it does not cover all possible strains of the flu.  It will reduce your chance of getting the flu in any given year but it is not complete protection.

Your statement that "This virus has killed a large majority of people across different age groups and in different countries" is simply not true.  In no age group has this virus killed "a large majority." This is data of fatality rate by age from a week ago available from worldometers.info:

80+ years old 
14.80%
70-79 years old 
8.00%
60-69 years old 
3.60%
50-59 years old 
1.30%
40-49 years old 
0.40%
30-39 years old 
0.20%
20-29 years old 
0.20%
10-19 years old 
0.20%
0-9 years old 
no fatalities 
1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

With a flu shot, yes. There is no vaccine for this. Also I’m not worried about me dying or having complications specifically, I am only 20 and healthy and the virus is not impacting people my age as hard. I would hate to spread it to say, my parents or other older citizens who could legitimately die from it. Look beyond yourself and think about how it can impact the world.

The flu shot does not protect you from all strains of the flu.  It reduces the likelihood that you will get the flu significantly but it is not an all encompassing flu vaccine.

11 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I assume from your username that you do not live in the US.  The death rate of the flu in the US IS relatively low just like most other first world countries.  Also, have you ever heard of Medicare or Medicaid?  Your statement about elderly people dying of the flu because they can't afford a doctor's visit or hospital visit is not true.  In fact, any hospital that accepts payments from either of these two government programs must treat anybody with an emergency condition without regard for their ability to pay for the services.

The flu shot is not a "ready fix" as it does not cover all possible strains of the flu.  It will reduce your chance of getting the flu in any given year but it is not complete protection.

Your statement that "This virus has killed a large majority of people across different age groups and in different countries" is simply not true.  In no age group has this virus killed "a large majority." This is data of fatality rate by age from a week ago available from worldometers.info:

80+ years old 
14.80%
70-79 years old 
8.00%
60-69 years old 
3.60%
50-59 years old 
1.30%
40-49 years old 
0.40%
30-39 years old 
0.20%
20-29 years old 
0.20%
10-19 years old 
0.20%
0-9 years old 
no fatalities 

The flu shot does not protect you from all strains of the flu.  It reduces the likelihood that you will get the flu significantly but it is not an all encompassing flu vaccine.

True, really not the point I am trying to make though. Haven’t gotten a serious flu in like 11 years though  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

True, really not the point I am trying to make though. Haven’t gotten a serious flu in like 11 years though  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My point is just that the reasoning to take drastic actions to prevent COVID-19 spread that we don't take for the flu because the flu shot exists is not valid logic in my opinion.

To me, based upon the data, the main response should be that if you have a fever or respiratory symptoms, stay away from elderly people and people that have serious medical conditions.  People in those categories should avoid dense crowds and be extremely vigilant in hand washing.

Of course for this tour the members of GNR should be isolated from the general public since they are getting close to the critical age group.  Fortunately, they don't typically hob nob with the fans anyway.

I have asthma, so in general this is a sensitive subject to me.

I too can see the "low death percentage" but at the same time worry about the effects on someone like me.

In general I'm 100% down to risk it for GNR. That band is everything to me.

But the panic is justified. We are only now getting to know more and more about the virus. Just weeks ago we didn't know anything apart from the fact that it existed.

I'm sure they'll postpone the concerts.

Edited by bassplayer1993
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

I have asthma, so in general this is a sensitive subject to me.

I too can see the "low death percentage" but at the same time worry about the effects on someone like me.

In general I'm 100% down to risk it for GNR. That band is everything to me.

But the panic is justified. We are only now getting to know more and more about the virus. Just weeks ago we didn't know anything apart from the fact that it existed.

I'm sure they'll postpone the concerts.

You are definitely one of the people that should be concerned since you have an underlying respiratory condition.  I wouldn't predict anything about the status of the concerts yet.  At the current pace of new cases and recoveries/deaths, China might not have any active cases within a month.

Looking at the statistics, the two most "out of control" countries are Italy and Iran.  At this point in time, there are only 45,000 confirmed active cases in the world (0.006%) of the worldwide population.  It is quite possible that the worldwide spread will be very low within a month or two.  Especially if the warmer and more humid weather of spring and summer help like they do with the flu.

Edited by Gnrcane
typo

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

You are definitely one of the people that should be concerned since you have an underlying respiratory condition.

The reason that everyone should act with concern is for those people who are more at risk.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Today Mariah Carey announced that she was cancelling her 2020 shows due to Coronavirus. Do you see Guns following? Considering the shows haven’t been selling amazing anyways and it could give them a lot of good will, I am firmly predicting this. Probably morally the best move as well. I could also see them using this as another excuse why there is no new music this year.

No

10 minutes ago, Original said:

Coronavirus is all media driven.  Funny no coverage of regular flu.  - 

Flu has killed 20K Americans including 136 children so far this season. -https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-flu-killed-20k-americans-children

The most crucial difference between the flu and the coronavirus is that the latter has been far deadlier. Whereas about 0.1% of people who get the flu die, the coronavirus' death rate is now at about 3.4%, based on the current numbers of cases and deaths.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3

Add that statistic onto the fact that there is no current vaccine you can get to combat coronavirus - the media can cause some negative panics and frenzies however I would hardly say it is nothing to worry about and is all media driven

I have not seen very much accurate info about corona via Fox News (well that can be said for most topics) lol

Edited by WhazUp

On 3/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Today Mariah Carey announced that she was cancelling her 2020 shows due to Coronavirus. Do you see Guns following? Considering the shows haven’t been selling amazing anyways and it could give them a lot of good will, I am firmly predicting this. Probably morally the best move as well. I could also see them using this as another excuse why there is no new music this year.

Great excuse to cancel.  She wasn’t selling shit for tix.  This would be GnR’s out. I just hope The Stadium Tour goes off! 

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

The most crucial difference between the flu and the coronavirus is that the latter has been far deadlier. Whereas about 0.1% of people who get the flu die, the coronavirus' death rate is now at about 3.4%, based on the current numbers of cases and deaths.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3

Add that statistic onto the fact that there is no current vaccine you can get to combat coronavirus - the media can cause some negative panics and frenzies however I would hardly say it is nothing to worry about and is all media driven

Take China out of all Corona math and look at numbers.  

8 minutes ago, Original said:

Take China out of all Corona math and look at numbers.  

Take the "no vaccine available", and the areas it is currently spreading and projected to spread and we will look at those numbers

There is a reason why this is being looked at seriously.  It is a new strain, currently no vaccine and while it won't impact the healthy and prime age groups, it is not purely a "media frenzy" and nothing to want to take it seriously to minimize spreading and minimizing the amount of deaths it will cause - even if some people are going overboard and going to Costco prepping like its the end of the world

Edited by WhazUp