Will Guns cancel the 2020 shows due to COVID-19? Update: tour has been paused

8 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Ticket sales are shit because most fans have seen the show multiple times and they just don't care anymore unless new material is involved.

Nah simply untrue. Though over-saturation of the NA market is certainly a thing. Y'all have had a crazy amount of dates since 2016, especially considering the UK still hasn't had a proper tour. 

Casuals will never tire of the classics, look at the Stones.

This tour is simply a case of supply and demand. The prices for these tickets are insane, but if it was an arena most dates would already be sold out.

They'll sell enough expensive tickets to justify selling the rest for cheap and making the promoter a decent little profit.

After that GNR will roll on to Asia/Australia in the winter (Virus allowing).

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:49 PM, Gnrcane said:

Mariah Carey postponed (not cancelled) A SHOW (not her 2020 "shows") in Hawaii until November.

If GNR cancels anything it might be blamed on COVID-19 but it won't be "due" to it.  

Everybody needs to relax.  This outbreak is being WAY overblown.  Granted China took some extreme measures but they have nearly eliminated the spread in about a month.  It isn't that contagious and it isn't all that deadly unless you are elderly or have underlying issues.  Even with the flu shot available, the seasonal flu is a MUCH bigger and MUCH deadlier (in total, not mortality rate) public health issue.  We don't ban gatherings of over 5000 (how on earth did they determine that 4999 was OK, but 5000 is bad) for the whole flu season.

As someone who works at a news company, I can tell you this is no joke. This is something to be concerned about. My colleagues and I are actually concerned since the lawyer who contracted in NYC works at a law firm that is next door to us.  Everyday, you are hearing new cases of people getting the virus. It was reported this morning that two people in NJ had gotten it. This is brand new. 

I'm concerned about the Halestorm/Godsmack concert at Prudential Center. It's 6 weeks away and who knows if they'll have it. That's my first out of three concerts this year.  

9 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Correct.  Everybody needs to remember that the news media are a business, not some group of altruistic truthtellers.  That goes for EVERY news source.

Look how little coverage the Memphis tornado got in comparison to an approaching and landfalling hurricane.  With the Hurricane they can scare people into watching and also have the "watching a car wreck" effect.  The tornado all they can do is show pictures and report the death toll.  Of course, the tornado killed 24 people which is more than the vast majority of hurricanes will cause.  It's all about viewers and clicks.

You are right that it's a business, but there are factual news organization. My employer being one of them known as Bloomberg. 

3 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Nah simply untrue. Though over-saturation of the NA market is certainly a thing. Y'all have had a crazy amount of dates since 2016, especially considering the UK still hasn't had a proper tour. 

They're at a point similar to Motley Crue IMO, but even Motley fuckin' Crue had the decency to release some new songs every few years. I make that comparison because Motley toured North America to death and even played my city's arena a few times, the last time I saw them it cost $25 and there was less than 7500 people there. Motley toured for a solid decade after they reunited with basically the same setlist, the online fans always complained and their audiences gradually became smaller... sound familiar?

The Stones are a bad comparison IMO. They have plenty of classic albums and singles, while GNR only have 3 albums of classic material + Patience. GNR are an iconic rock band but they don't compare to the Stones.

This tour is simply a case of supply and demand. The prices for these tickets are insane, but if it was an arena most dates would already be sold out.

They'll sell enough expensive tickets to justify selling the rest for cheap and making the promoter a decent little profit.

After that GNR will roll on to Asia/Australia in the winter (Virus allowing).

With the ticket prices, competition with other tours, and nothing new to offer/promote, it's really surprising that they're doing a stadium run. They weren't even selling out some arena's on their last US runs, so where is the demand for a stadium tour? Unless for some reason they're waiting to announce a co-headliner, or release some new music, it makes no sense. They'll end up giving tons of tickets away.

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

You are right that it's a business, but there are factual news organization. My employer being one of them known as Bloomberg. 

Yes but the facts can be presented in multiple ways. A handful of people testing positive every day can be reported as either:

A) A rapidly spreading, deadly pandemic that requires major concern 

or

B) A virus that has infected 0.00007% of the US population that requires common sense precautions especially for elderly people and those with health issues.

In this case, the vast majority of news media is presenting the facts as example "a."

Same facts but very different spin.

• Like 2

my prediction yes, but it will be more about the lack of ticket sales and they will say it is because of the Virus, and I am guessing they are going to push back the shows to next year

I think they will cancel... the situation in Europe right now is scary with people getting the virus without knowing how they got it.

And governments are not prepared for this at all. They lack testing capability, protection for health care professionals, etc.

What worries me even more is that everything was always built around cost efficiency (in the Netherlands where I live). They can't cope with lots of extra patients at all and our minister of health already talked about "patient selection" in case of a wide spread epidemic.

So yeah, we're basically screwed. Wuhan 2.0.

Doing croceries is going to be a challenge... a GnR concert simply impossible.

I wish everyone the best. Let's hope it won't get too bad... but I don't trust my government at all unfortunately. They fuck things up all the time.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

I think they will cancel... the situation in Europe right now is scary with people getting the virus without knowing how they got it.

And governments are not prepared for this at all. They lack testing capability, protection for health care professionals, etc.

What worries me even more is that everything was always built around cost efficiency (in the Netherlands where I live). They can't cope with lots of extra patients at all and our minister of health already talked about "patient selection" in case of a wide spread epidemic.

So yeah, we're basically screwed. Wuhan 2.0.

Doing croceries is going to be a challenge... a GnR concert simply impossible.

I wish everyone the best. Let's hope it won't get too bad... but I don't trust my government at all unfortunately. They fuck things up all the time.

I am sorry to hear that, it is similar here in the UK, the first death yesterday, it is starting to get get quite scary.  If it doesnt get any better I think there will be lots of cancelations including GnR (and nothing to do with ticket sales).

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

As someone who works at a news company, I can tell you this is no joke. This is something to be concerned about. My colleagues and I are actually concerned since the lawyer who contracted in NYC works at a law firm that is next door to us.  Everyday, you are hearing new cases of people getting the virus. It was reported this morning that two people in NJ had gotten it. This is brand new. 

I'm concerned about the Halestorm/Godsmack concert at Prudential Center. It's 6 weeks away and who knows if they'll have it. That's my first out of three concerts this year.  

The mortality rate for the corona virus in healthy individuals is about 0.5% compared to 0.1% for the regular flu. So how is it worth getting "concerned about" if you're a healthy person? Because of that extra 0.4%?

This is madness on a grand scale. Unless you're elderly or have a compromised immune system, you have a better chance of dying in a car crash (0.9%) than you do corona virus.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

Hope theres some solid news soon, if such gatherings will be prohibited or not. Was going to book my flights end of this month to come to the show, but now I dunno what to do. Not scared of the virus, just being stuck in London without a show to go to 😂

13 minutes ago, VampireSoul said:

Hope theres some solid news soon, if such gatherings will be prohibited or not. Was going to book my flights end of this month to come to the show, but now I dunno what to do. Not scared of the virus, just being stuck in London without a show to go to 😂

Greatest city in the world - there'll be PLENTY to do without a GNR show.

Just now, VampireSoul said:

Was there 2 years ago, not much for me to do personally 😄 Prefer smaller places, I get quite a temper in crowded areas 🤭

Oh fair play. I've grown up here so kind of used to it but doesn't mean it doesn't grind my gears! If you need recommendations give me a shout!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Draguns said:

I'm going to pose this question genuinely and not trying to be snarky/argumentative even if it may come off that way on a forum post?

Have you ever had the flu?  Are you particularly concerned that you will get the flu in any given year?  I ask because based on a large amount of data, unless you are elderly and/or have an underlying medical condition you are about as likely to experience serious illness or death from this virus as you are from the flu.

In South Korea where they have done a great job testing a lot of people so that they find people with mild and asymptomatic cases, out of their active cases only 0.79% are currently in serious or critical condition.  That is very similar to the percentage of flu cases that require hospitalization.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The Stones are a bad comparison IMO. They have plenty of classic albums and singles, while GNR only have 3 albums of classic material + Patience. GNR are an iconic rock band but they don't compare to the Stones.

I'd Disagree. People always laud the Stones as the gold standard.

But in 2020 the Stones, ACDC, GNR all sit at roughly the same level of casual engagement. All have decent penetration into casual markets through the hits and through people wearing their merch.

And none of these band gain anything in terms of ticket sales by releasing new material. These are legacy bands and people want to hear the hits, not new stuff.

Look at the Smashing Pumpkins who'll be supporting GNR, they had to go out of their way to specify that they were only playing the hots to sell out arenas.

There's new bands for new music. Let us enjoy the hots from classic bands.

9 hours ago, Draguns said:

Yes but they too have bias built in to their coverage.

It's just impossible not to. 

As someone already covered it's possible to pass off a handful of cases as the apocalypse. 

7 hours ago, k12 said:

my prediction yes, but it will be more about the lack of ticket sales and they will say it is because of the Virus, and I am guessing they are going to push back the shows to next year

Nah it doesn't make sense to cancel these dates. What we may see is the upper deck closed off in the poorest performing. 

As someone covered in the NA dates thread LiveNation have deals with venues that they open a set number of days a year.

The dates will go ahead, ticket prices will fall. This isn't the first tour to stumble out of the gate. Look at the Smashing Pumpkin reunion tour initial ticket sales. Yet that tour went ahead fine.

The thing that gets me is why the ticket prices are so high? GNR are a stadium band . I guess their promoters are doing the Stones thing of insane initial prices followed by big discounts as the dates approach. Wish GNR would do their lucky dip tickets too.

13 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

You cant really compare GNR to the Stones tho. GNR has four albuns and a stale setlist. The Stones have a hundred albuns and they vary somethings on the setlist.  Theres also the fact the Stones will probably stop really soon, they aren’t immortals after all and everyone wants to see them before any of their members kicks.

GNR is just a joke of a band with no catalog to spice things up giving cringe performances for a lot of money.

edit: Actually, you cant really compare Gnr to most nostalgia acts cause when a band come to this point, they usually have lots of back catalog to rely on. GNR is the joke amongst the jokes.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VampireSoul said:

Was there 2 years ago, not much for me to do personally 😄 Prefer smaller places, I get quite a temper in crowded areas 🤭

Go watch a play, a musical, other concerts, museums, go shopping... there is plenty to do in London.

46 minutes ago, default_ said:

You cant really compare GNR to the Stones tho. GNR has four albuns and a stale setlist. The Stones have a hundred albuns and they vary somethings on the setlist.  Theres also the fact the Stones will probably stop really soon, they aren’t immortals after all and everyone wants to see them before any of their members kicks.

GNR is just a joke of a band with no catalog to spice things up giving cringe performances for a lot of money.

edit: Actually, you cant really compare Gnr to most nostalgia acts cause when a band come to this point, they usually have lots of back catalog to rely on. GNR is the joke amongst the jokes.

I'd disagree.

In 2020 GNR(with Slash) and the Stones are pretty much equal footing when it comes to how much of a draw they are.

Sure the Stones have a much larger classic catalogue.

But they both play stadiums, have easily recognised classics and have managed to get their merch to be worn by people that don't even listen to them.

There was an article a little while back about who would replace the Stones once they stop touring and they suggested GNR, makes sense.