Jump to content

Why does Axl invoke such strong feelings?


Recommended Posts

Im reminded of the story Slash told about the early days when Axl was staying at Slashs' family's house. How he had to ask Axl stop sleeping on Grand-ma-ma's couch, because it meant she had no where to sit. 

He asked Axl while they were both passengers in a car. In response Axl jumped out of the moving vehicle onto the road! :lol:

Seems like for much of Axls life he only knew the two extremes of the emotional spectrum?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

People felt very attached to GNR & Axl at one time, so the combination of all of those things is what makes people still have an emotional reaction. 

Although nowadays it isn't exactly the emotional reaction he wants. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soon said:

Im reminded of the story Slash told about the early days when Axl was staying at Slashs' family's house. How he had to ask Axl stop sleeping on Grand-ma-ma's couch, because it meant she had no where to sit. 

He asked Axl while they were both passengers in a car. In response Axl jumped out of the moving vehicle onto the road! :lol:

Seems like for much of Axls life he only knew the two extremes of the emotional spectrum?

That story always cracks me up, wonder what Axl was thinking.  Was he like "you're not the boss of me, I'll show you by hurling myself out of this moving car."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember hearing about how in 2011 Tom Cruise was waiting around backstage to meet Axl.  How many A list celebs drop what they're doing and stare when someone walks in the room?  That's what Axl does.  He's a complete nutty nut, but man does he have "it".

  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Why does Axl bring out strong feelings whether good or bad?  What it is about him do you think that makes it difficult to feel neutral about him?  Interesting. 

I think to start, his vocal delivery is definitely very unique and that in itself I have seen can be a love it or hate it thing.  Just like early 70s Rush, I know some people (myself) who love Geddy Lee's vocals, others hear it like nails on a chalkboard and I have definitely met people who think that of Axl

And for Axl, he definitely at least back in the late 80s and 90s, for sure was all about speaking his mind.  And I can see a lot of people seeing his rants and whatnot and attributing it to "diva behavior" and I can see other people seeing it as a complicated dude simply sharing his mind with us through the music and on stage behavior

And for those who would have been "neutral" - I definitely think that all the late starts and riots definitely swayed some people to the "this guy is nuts" side :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot to unpack about Axl. One thing is for sure: nothing about him was ever inauthentic. He was the real deal. He was never "just a singer in a rock band." The words that he sang, and the way that he sang them was unlike any other frontman, and that connected with a lot of people. Add that to how erratic and unpredictable he was both on and off stage, brazen and unafraid to say and do what he wanted, that naturally caused people to react in a stronger way, for better or for worse. 

Edit: I realized I used past tense in my post, but really, to this day he still emotes these strong feelings among young and old fans/people alike. I did not follow this band in their prime as I wasn't even alive yet, but after obsessing and learning every detail and piece of information I could about him, here I am reacting to things as if I experienced it in real time. That goes to show how incredibly unique and special he is. 

Edited by GNRfanJen
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • downzy changed the title to Why does Axl invoke such strong feelings?

Axl truly seems like the last rock star, an anachronism from an older generation at this point. Something, maybe his sexual charisma, singing, attitude, authentic-albeit deeply flawed nature, really drew people in. We'll never have another one like him; I guess thats how the great rock stars are, unique.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Could there BE anymore feelings?!

We swallow our feelings, even if it means we’re unhappy forever.


 

 

(Not said to Joeys Girlfriend, but an actual thought Chandler had about being a GNR fan) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn't, you just think he does because he does in you and people who patronize this forum, a great deal of people care as much for Axl Rose as they do...well, anyone.  He isn't generally considered this Big Time Charlie by the general rock fan/music domain.  At best he is considered amongst the foremost of the late 80s bunch like your Motley Crues and Bon Jovis and...y'know, that hairy lot.  I wouldn't say he invokes strong feelings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He doesn't, you just think he does because he does in you and people who patronize this forum, a great deal of people care as much for Axl Rose as they do...well, anyone.  He isn't generally considered this Big Time Charlie by the general rock fan/music domain.  At best he is considered amongst the foremost of the late 80s bunch like your Motley Crues and Bon Jovis and...y'know, that hairy lot.  I wouldn't say he invokes strong feelings.

of course he invokes. he's doing it right now, I can feel it and it's ridiculously strong

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only feelings that he invokes in me is that I really enjoy his music and it's frustrating to know that he's written so much music that I'd enjoy, but he's not releasing it.

I want more Axl's GNR type music. That's all.

There's so many people in this world, why isn't there more great music? All I want is classic rock type music, but with influences of all kinds of modern music. Both slower and faster paced songs and a singer who sings with many different voices. Is that too much to ask?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The only feelings that he invokes in me is that I really enjoy his music and it's frustrating to know that he's written so much music that I'd enjoy, but he's not releasing it.

I want more Axl's GNR type music. That's all.

There's so many people in this world, why isn't there more great music? All I want is classic rock type music, but with influences of all kinds of modern music. Both slower and faster paced songs and a singer who sings with many different voices. Is that too much to ask?

I'm affraid we were born too late for that. Good bands don't get the attention they deserve, so we end up with "bands" as 5 Seconds of Something, 30 seconds to Somewhere and fucking Chris Martin.

 

 

I really hate Coldplay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

That story always cracks me up, wonder what Axl was thinking.  Was he like "you're not the boss of me, I'll show you by hurling myself out of this moving car."

Yeah, its a classic tale! Thats prolly a good take on it. Always seems to be a thin line between his defiance and self-sabotage. For whatever reason I always pictured it that like Axl didnt know how to respond and kinda froze before jumping out just to escape the situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The axl time line from 94 to 99 his mental and emotional state is the axl i would really like to know. In other words, the wilderness years. Kudos to him for being a recluse rather than being out there looking for attention and being photographed everywhere.

Should axl do an autobiography his would be the one i really want to read, it would be the most honest because hes articulate and most likley has a memory like an elephant. During the illusion and years after he wasnt doing drugs, so his memory would be better than the others.

I wish he would be more open to doing interviews. A no holds barred interview with joe rogan would be interesting. Or @Gambit83 if the stars would align. Axl always came across as abit of enigma. majority of the music mags in oz from 87 to 93 interviews were usually done with slash. Some interviews with duff in 93 when he was promoting his solo album but most interviews always slash.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The word 'enigma' keeps coming up and I would agree with this although my knowledge is second hand as i wasnt around 87-93.  We dont get to know very much about him so the reclusive aspect makes for some kind of 'mystique'.    Cult of the personality, interesting.  I also wonder if there is a difference in opinion between the men and women.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...