When does Izzy sleep ?

Nice Boy

So, let's assume that Mr.Browstone is an accurate depiction of a day in the life of Izzy Stradlin, circa 1986. 

He gets up around 7 am, which is fairly early for someone with not many responsibilities other than paying guitar and occasionally selling some drugs. He has a lie in, and finally gets out of bed around 9 am. 

He then potters about the house, for about nine hours, until say 6 pm or a bit later when he has to set off for the show, which starts around 7 pm. He and the band go on stage around 9 pm, finish up and get on the bus around 11 pm. By this time Izzy has been awake for 16 hours but apparently still feels fine.

So, assuming he gets home at midnight earliest, that means he either goes straight to bed, which is a bit early for a rockstar, or stays awake for a few hours until say 2-3 am, in which case he only has around 4 hours of sleep till he has to get up again around 7 am. So he definitely gets less than 7 hours sleep a day, probably about 4 or 5 hours, yet someone managed to feel fine and not worry about nothin.

How does he manage it? 

Okay I think I've worked it out, he makes up for lost sleep by occasionally nodding off on heroin during the day. 

That's got to be it, right? 

• Haha 4

Well the song is about being a brownhead isn't it, so clearly after 9 he's gotten up, shot up and then he lays there like a corpse for a good six hours, has a bit of a top up after that, with perhaps a little coke an hour or two before he's got to be on stage so he can get up and get ready, followed by another line just before the curtain opens, thats sort of the point of the song isn't it, that he's a brownhead, those hours where you have him 'pottering about the house' like he's fuckin' Alan Titchmarsh he's actually doing skag which, whilst in its throes, is as good as sleeping, you sort of drift in and out :lol:  You listened to that whole song and all you got from it was his waking and sleeping hours and the time he gets on and off stage, listen closely sunbeam, he alludes, EVER SO subtly, to being a fuckin' brownhead :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Well the song is about being a brownhead isn't it, so clearly after 9 he's gotten up, shot up and then he lays there like a corpse for a good six hours, has a bit of a top up after that, with perhaps a little coke an hour or two before he's got to be on stage so he can get up and get ready, followed by another line just before the curtain opens, thats sort of the point of the song isn't it, that he's a brownhead, those hours where you have him 'pottering about the house' like he's fuckin' Alan Titchmarsh he's actually doing skag which, whilst in its throes, is as good as sleeping, you sort of drift in and out :lol:  You listened to that whole song and all you got from it was his waking and sleeping hours and the time he gets on and off stage, listen closely sunbeam, he alludes, EVER SO subtly, to being a fuckin' brownhead :lol:

But isn't the verse about waking up at 7 describing the pre-Brownstone situation where he was able to get up on time. What you're describing is the "now I get up around whenever" Izzy :lol:

But yeah, that does leave a lot of time unaccounted for, especially as we now know he could write a song like Mr Brownstone in just five minutes!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

You listened to that whole song and all you got from it was his waking and sleeping hours and the time he gets on and off stage, listen closely sunbeam, he alludes, EVER SO subtly, to being a fuckin' brownhead :lol:

Oh Len. Relax, the question is tongue in cheek and yes, I had the genius to notice Izzy was referring to brown, hence the sentence in the original post that he probably catches up on sleep during the day with a few opiate induced nods. I am familiar with the lifestyles of junkies, having known a fair few. 

But - @King_Johnny makes a pertinent point: the getting up at 7 thing seems to be Izzy referring to the early, 'honeymoon' stage of usage, when he has a regular sleep pattern - but then descends into the comparative chaos of a serious habit and getting up whenever.. 

on heroin you psisically sleep all the time or at least your body and some part of the brain take a rest,i experience this by myself,but during nighttime when the heroin left the body by piss,eat or o hot shower is very difficult to get some sleep so i i used to do a little but the little got more and more just to get some some sleep cause god u do wish to get some sleep on mr.brownstone

6 hours ago, bikka said:

It's actually 7 p.m... There was an interview with Izzy where he explicitly said that, can't find it though...

Woah. Are you sure? If that's correct then this completely resets the fundamentals of the GnR clock.

We need to holler that guy who runs the a-f-d website with all the archived old interview transcripts, a great endevour. What's his name again? 

Not Browstone, somethin else

21 hours ago, bikka said:

It's actually 7 p.m... There was an interview with Izzy where he explicitly said that, can't find it though...

yes it should be 7 PM of course!

14 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Woah. Are you sure? If that's correct then this completely resets the fundamentals of the GnR clock.

We need to holler that guy who runs the a-f-d website with all the archived old interview transcripts, a great endevour. What's his name again?

it's @SoulMonster and @Blackstar

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Not sure if Izzy said that or not but it doesn't fit the context of the song. The poster who said the first part is pre-addiction is correct.

i believe everyone here should know this song has some precious additional info on izzy's sleeping (and other) habits!

COKE N

From desperation here to motivated there
I've got ta get some sleep some time this week man
That old cocaine she's bad, worst love I ever had
I've got ta get some sleep some time this week man

Ya go fallin' over cause ya haven't been ta bed in a week
Ya start ta see' funny like snow comin' down in a heat

Cocaine please go away
Bye bye bye give me a wave
I don't see you any more that I can say

My heart beats violent red, I ain't done nothin' bad
But I've got ta get some peace of time (?) this week man
On white hot ashes (...), my feets been runnin' fast
I've got ta get some peace of time (?) time this week man

Ya go fallin' over cause ya haven't been ta bed in a week
Ya start ta see' funny like snow comin' down in a heat

Cocaine just go away
Bye bye bye give me a wave
I don't see you any more that I can say
I don't need you any more please go away

On 15.3.2020 at 5:02 AM, Nice Boy said:

Not Browstone, somethin else

The Soul signal went up. What's up?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. I too got the meaning it was the schedule he had on the road . 7pm. Tour time. Everything else you all said.  What a messed up, crazy, awful, sick, slave life existance he had 35 years ago. Again ,as I always say. the five of them very were lucky. Just luck. He got out first. Jail or death. Those were his choices. VRevlover was really good. Slash and Duff still had some problems. Scot died , od. It usually works that way.