COVID-19: Quarantine Self Help Group

lilacmess

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I got rid of normal TV about 5 years ago. Been using streaming sites and torrents only since then.

You haven't lived until you've watched Dinner Date. The participant (she/he - let's make it a she) goes on three dates and then chooses her prospective match, the two losers receiving a microwave dinner-for-one. You are guaranteed she will repudiate the person she liked the most, choosing somebody she didn't in fact like, cue (at end) ''they did not see each other again and are both still single''. It is like A Place in the Sun: ''the Hendersons did not purchase the villa and are still looking for property on the Algarve''. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

You haven't lived until you've watched Dinner Date. The participant (she/he - let's make it a she) goes on three dates and then chooses her prospective match, the two losers receiving a microwave dinner-for-one. You are guaranteed she will repudiate the person she liked the most, choosing somebody she didn't in fact like, cue (at end) ''they did not see each other again and are both still single''. It is like A Place in the Sun: ''the Hendersons did not purchase the villa and are still looking for property on the Algarve''. 

We got rid of Sky when I realised that literally all we had on the Sky Plus thingy was endless repeats of Grand Designs and that was costing me about £50 a month. Wasn't a difficult choice to make at that point.

We got rid of Sky when I realised that literally all we had on the Sky Plus thingy was endless repeats of Grand Designs and that was costing me about £50 a month. Wasn't a difficult choice to make at that point.

Oh I got rid of them wankers years ago when I realised I could filch cricket online. Utter crooks. 

PS

Just donated a tenner to this chap,

https://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/99-year-old-war-veteran-walking-around-his-garden-to-raise-500000-for-nhs

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

One unexpected takeaway from this is, lacking my beloved Ringtons, I have sampled multiple tea brands. I have found out that PG Tips is a marginal improvement over the, truly repellent, Tetley. PG Tips is actually drinkable. 

Fear not. In my email box I discovered that Ringtons are sending out my mail order, 200 bags, this week!

Edited by DieselDaisy

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One unexpected takeaway from this is, lacking my beloved Ringtons, I have sampled multiple tea brands. I have found out that PG Tips is a marginal improvement over the, truly repellent, Tetley. PG Tips is actually drinkable. 

Fear not. In my email box I discovered that Ringtons are sending out my mail order, 200 bags, this week!

I grew up on Ringtons. Grandma used to get it all the time with chocolate teacakes and wotnot. Mother still gets it delivered. 

I do quite like PG but a good alternative is Marks and Sparks gold brand and Waitrose do a decent cuppa also.

I grew up on Ringtons. Grandma used to get it all the time with chocolate teacakes and wotnot. Mother still gets it delivered. 

Yes, as does my grandma who gets it for us all but they have stopped the ''Ringtons man'' so I am trying their online mail order service. Newcastle based, Ringtons.

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I do quite like PG but a good alternative is Marks and Sparks gold brand and Waitrose do a decent cuppa also.

A remainer cuppa, surely? 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

A remainer cuppa, surely? 

Do you think that Waitrose is an intrinsically remainer gaff then? I would have had it down as more of one of your lot to be honest. Julia is a big fan after all. 

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Do you think that Waitrose is an intrinsically remainer gaff then? I would have had it down as more of one of your lot to be honest. Julia is a big fan after all. 

The fact there is only one Waitrose in the north east, and it is in the poshest part of Newcastle, speaks volumes. I had to look that up online. I have to confess I have never even seen one (how could I?). Waitrose is like mythology to me. Might have passed one when I was in London in September - in fact this is almost certain - but I do not recall. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The fact there is only one Waitrose in the north east, and it is in the poshest part of Newcastle, speaks volumes. I had to look that up online. I have to confess I have never even seen one (how could I?). Waitrose is like mythology to me. Might have passed one when I was in London in September - in fact this is almost certain - but I do not recall. 

The only reason I'm making the judgement I am is because of one thing that really jumped out at me when I popped in one Sunday. Basically all of the spaces on the rack where the Mail and the Express should have been were pretty much empty and you couldn't move for copies of The Guardian. :lol:    

24 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@DieselDaisy The Tetley decaf is better than the regular one, it tastes more tea-ish 

I am not a decaf drinker really. It is a bit like non-alcoholic booze or Linda McCartney's sausages. I just wouldn't bother. 

Funny article,

https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/21/10-british-teas-ranked-from-worst-to-best-the-definitive-list-6586819/

Yorkshire Tea,

The tea of disappointing tea shops with fussy doilies and grated cheese and onion sandwiches on white bread, of stale, underwhelming tea cakes ‘for a treat,’ of mould in the window pane grouting, of small dead flies on the sill.

Twinnings,

No, no, it cries, look at me, I have a royal warrant, see, her majesty Queen Elizabeth II herself has appointed me to her house. I’m not like those other teas. It’s pronounced bouquet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fun (debatably) fact: I registered on this forum with a Waitrose email account :lol: .  

Back in the 56 k modem days, my parents had no idea about this newfangled internet business and when they were looking to "get online" they were speaking to my great aunt and uncle who live in the south of England. They had Waitrose as their ISP and set my folks up through it - so despite the fact it was a supermarket that we'd never heard of, with no stores in Scotland, we were collectively "@waitrose.com" for a few years.

• Haha 2

My life hasn't changed much (is that good or bad?) Still working (essential worker right here). The only things that have changed is that my 24 hour stores are no longer 24 hours and the gyms are closed.

I managed to hurt my back in early March before my county and city decided to shut things down, so by the time i was decent enough to go back to work it was crazy busy.

An odd thing was, I went to the grocery on a Wednesday just for 2 items and everything was fine then, but I had a little feeling I should stock up a few things (not hoard or go nuts). Then by Friday the stores had gotten slammed and the essentials including toilet paper were gone. In that short span of time it happened - still blows my mind.

Thankfully, things have gotten restocked and I'm making weekly store trips where I buy lunch stuff for me at work and stuff for my family since I live at home. Im the only one working right now so Ive got a little extra money to spend on things. I bought us a feast of food from a restaurant in town called Babes Chicken for Easter Sunday - chicken fried steak, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, biscuits, gravy and 3 pies! :headbang: Because why the fuck not?!?

I'm not as worried about getting sick now as I am worried about the economy and the possible elimination of cash and whatever vaccine and /or certificates are being talked about.

Today has been my worst day yet. I burst into tears while getting The Boss another fromage frais. She just tells me what to do, or disobeys me. It's day 30 of us having no childcare and I'm just not coping anymore. There certainly have been nice moments, but today she didn't want to go for a walk, she wouldn't let me dress her and my IQ is lowering rapidly because the only thing I can do for her which isn't a waste of energy is put the TV on. 

My husband has been very receptive and I now have a couple of hours to myself.

In February I earned more than my husband. All my clients have since ditched me, so I'm really lacking purpose. I know things will improve and the best is yet to come. 

And my husband keeps saying "this too shall pass" as if he's some kind of guru, when actually he's being really annoying. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Today has been my worst day yet. I burst into tears while getting The Boss another fromage frais. She just tells me what to do, or disobeys me. It's day 30 of us having no childcare and I'm just not coping anymore. There certainly have been nice moments, but today she didn't want to go for a walk, she wouldn't let me dress her and my IQ is lowering rapidly because the only thing I can do for her which isn't a waste of energy is put the TV on. 

My husband has been very receptive and I now have a couple of hours to myself.

In February I earned more than my husband. All my clients have since ditched me, so I'm really lacking purpose. I know things will improve and the best is yet to come. 

And my husband keeps saying "this too shall pass" as if he's some kind of guru, when actually he's being really annoying. :lol:

Ah, all of us with kids have been there before. Except for the corona thing. And losing the income.

I feel for you!! :heart:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Quite a nice day of quarantine. Sunbathing all day drinking ice cold peroni (isn't that first sip of an ice cold beer one of the best feelings in the world) whilst reading and in general being incredibly lazy.

Ice cold beer strikes me as being ultra Murican. 

Ive been finding comfort in carbs for too long now. And I suspect Im not the only one. Need to at least pair more protein with the carbs. These hemp cheese recipes are easy and healthy. High in full proteins, a cheese for every use.

Nacho Cheese,

Semi-firm cheese,

Spreadable herbed cream cheese,

^^^ I use this to toss roasted vegetables in too.

Edited by soon

I haven't taken it upon myself to learn any new skills or anything BUT I've been doing a lot of extra work on my podcast which has been a blast.

I've also been gearing up to do a massive spring cleaning. Once we get a couple of 60° or higher days put together here in Detroit, I'm going to open up all the doors & windows, then go to town. 

• Like 1