When did Axl lose his musical and performing drive?

DurhamGirl

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

others have said it - axl is straight up crazy - therefore he probably did take meds for sure after that period and in and around the 90s half way through illusions tour 

i would say he maybe went off those meds in last few years and smokes a lot of weed to chill his emotions and with them munchies gained even more weight 

It is such an irony that the type of mental health issues which I think Axl has can also contribute greatly to creativity and charisma, but meds eventually have to be taken as ones life gets more and more chaotic.  This mental health issue usually brings with it eating disorders causing weight gain.  I wish him peace but on an entirely selfish note it probably means he is already doing as much as he can musically and this makes me sad.

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree in general, I much, much prefer a live album to be live. I do love some of the tracks on Live era though! 

Ha! I'll have to look up that Lizzy book, what's the name? I'd love to hear gnr doing Don't believe a word, that Song has Slash written all over it, not sure which song would suit Axl the most but I'm sure there's one!

Do Anything You Want To is pretty much Axl theme song for life, isnt it hahahaha. He has the Black Rose cover tatooed and has said stuff like Phil Lynott saved my life so I am sure that song libertarian messsage must have give him some ideas when he was a kid

oh I read a couple of books on Lizzy and Phil that one I mentioned if I am not mistaken is an old one by Mark Putterford. It is the same author who also wrote a great and very little talked about book on GNR in the early 90s called Over The Top

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

The minute he made a few quid and didn't have to be bothered with it.  Conclusion:  He weren't that fuckin' into it in the first place.

i agree with that

i guess there is more

another thing that looks to me like a game changing factor seems to be having enough power to say fuck you to whoever he wanted

he exercised that power with pretty much everyone around him including his equals (band members), his "bosses" (record company) and his own fucking audience etc

the getting late thing is the best example of that

do you get late onstage when you are unknown in 1986 and needing to win the crowd

do you get late onstage when you are opening for the cult, or aerosmith, or iron maiden

do you get late onstage when you are headlining a massive festival like Rock in Rio that is broadcasted live on TV

do you get late onstage when you have a tight schedule and a two songs lot in the freddie mercury tribute

you dont get late onstage in any of these situations

or else you are fucked, really fucked

but what happens once guns n roses goes out on its own major headlining tour

the guy was late on basically every fucking show

mental issues?

preparing for the audience?

"OH, i need to be in the right headspace to give the crowd the best show i can give"

gimme a fucking break!

axl only got late onstage on the illusion tour and beyond because HE FUCKING COULD

and the fact that no one was ever able to control him and to stop him from doing that except in one or two gun'pointing, pre'riot situations is the very evidence of that

• Like 2

The minute he made a few quid and didn't have to be bothered with it.  Conclusion:  He weren't that fuckin' into it in the first place.

so why spend so much money out of his own pocket and go on tour just to fund the making of Chinese. To tinker and rerecord the shit and tinker again and try different musicians and producers. I'd say he at least at some point after getting rich, was balls deep into it. he described the process of making that album as a nightmare. Why even do it if you don't have to and you're into eating chili burgers and fuckin' models.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

so why spend so much money out of his own pocket and go on tour just to fund the making of Chinese. To tinker and rerecord the shit and tinker again and try different musicians and producers. I'd say he at least at some point after getting rich, was balls deep into it. he described the process of making that album as a nightmare. Why even do it if you don't have to and you're into eating chili burgers and fuckin' models.

Perhaps this ‘tinkering’ wasn’t going on with any kind of regularity or frequency?  Perhaps the tour threw up a lot more than just what it took to fund Chi Dem?  Perhaps when you’re into making a thing you’ve sunk money into you kinda have to see it through for the sake of your investment? 

As for why do it, why do what, attempt to release one album in 15 odd years?  Well, Christ, how many models and chili burgers can one take? :lol:  I fancy a chili burger now!

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps this ‘tinkering’ wasn’t going on with any kind of regularity or frequency?  Perhaps the tour threw up a lot more than just what it took to fund Chi Dem?  Perhaps when you’re into making a thing you’ve sunk money into you kinda have to see it through for the sake of your investment? 

As for why do it, why do what, attempt to release one album in 15 odd years?  Well, Christ, how many models and chili burgers can one take? :lol:  I fancy a chili burger now!

yeah, perhaps. but it's not too strange for a musician to be passionate about making music. Some musicians do have a tendency to get attached too much to whatever musical project they're working on. Axl tinkered way before Chinese and people that worked with him like Alice Cooper, Brian May, and also Fortus have all said he is a perfectionist. Brain said Axl noticed a tiny mistake he did.

I don't think his intention was to release just 1 album just like it wasn't his intention to release a fucked up booklet for example.

Edited by Rovim

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah, perhaps. but it's not too strange for a musician to be passionate about making music. Some musicians do have a tendency to get attached too much to whatever musical project they're working on. Axl tinkered way before Chinese and people that worked with him like Alice Cooper, Brian May, and also Fortus have all said he is a perfectionist. Brain said Axl noticed a tiny mistake he did.

I don't think his intention was to release just 1 album just like it wasn't his intention to release a fucked up booklet for example.

I'm just a very cynical person perhaps, you might be right, I just don't buy it.  The man seems, to me, to have been clearly about the money for a long long time.  And hey, why not?

Edited by Len Cnut

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

just read a book on lizzy and they actually had a professional liar as their press guy, the guy would come up with lot of stories to keep phil and the boys in the news, or to remove them from bad coverage when it was needed. never understood why axl has never done a lizzy cover, they are just brilliant. i am pretty sure Gnr must have at least tried it at some point 1985'1991

What was the book called? I wouldn't mind reading it. 

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

What was the book called? I wouldn't mind reading it. 

i think it is this one

i have read so much stuff on them that i may be mistaken

please note that the lying press guy is just a footnote on the entire thing, the book is about phil

it is a very good book if you like phil and lizzy but dont know too much about them

417EFUrsLKL.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

If he was all about the money he would have toured and released so much more music through the years. I have no idea where this sentiment comes from that he's not ''into'' it.

Thats the whole point, that shit requires effort...and when you've already made enough money to live like a hog indefinitely then why bother, when you can make just as a tidy bit of bank doing the odd tour, not putting a lot of effort in, putting out greatest hits and beach towels and scented candles, not to mention a well-timed and insincere looking reconcilliation with someone you claim to hate.  Whats been more profitable, the aforementioned...or making sub-standard music and touring your fake GnR to ever diminishing crowds and taking the sheen away from the thing you had in the first place i.e. the reputation of the early bands work and the mystique of the band that imploded at the top.  Financially speaking he's played a blinder, a lot more profitable than putting out more shit and having to carry the creative blame for what would inevitably have been shit tunes if Chi Dem is anything to go by...and that fuckin' thing took 15 years, imagine how shite consistent output would've sounded, man knows his limitations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats the whole point, that shit requires effort...and when you've already made enough money to live like a hog indefinitely then why bother, when you can make just as a tidy bit of bank doing the odd tour, not putting a lot of effort in, putting out greatest hits and beach towels and scented candles, not to mention a well-timed and insincere looking reconcilliation with someone you claim to hate.  Whats been more profitable, the aforementioned...or making sub-standard music and touring your fake GnR to ever diminishing crowds and taking the sheen away from the thing you had in the first place i.e. the reputation of the early bands work and the mystique of the band that imploded at the top.  Financially speaking he's played a blinder, a lot more profitable than putting out more shit and having to carry the creative blame for what would inevitably have been shit tunes if Chi Dem is anything to go by...and that fuckin' thing took 15 years, imagine how shite consistent output would've sounded, man knows his limitations.

The odd tour? I can't imagine someone touring the world playing 3,5 hour shows for years in a row and not being ''into'' it. Can you fathom what it takes to travel the world and play shows like that? You need to be at least a little bit ''into'' it to pull something like that off, if not a lot. He spent years working on CD, going over every note, being an obsessive perfectionist. If he didn't care he wouldn't have put so much effort into it. It just doesn't make sense. I think he cares a great deal about his art otherwise he wouldn't have worked so hard on it.

As for the money, I'm sure he likes his money, most people do, but if he really is all about the money, he sure made some terrible mistakes because he could have been ten times as rich if he hadn't gone into hiding for that long and worked so long on a record and then failed to promote it.

It just doesn't add up.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i think it is this one

i have read so much stuff on them that i may be mistaken

please note that the lying press guy is just a footnote on the entire thing, the book is about phil

it is a very good book if you like phil and lizzy but dont know too much about them

417EFUrsLKL.jpg

Thanks-I'll try and get a copy. I've always like them so would be great to find out some more. 

The odd tour? I can't imagine someone touring the world playing 3,5 hour shows for years in a row and not being ''into'' it. Can you fathom what it takes to travel the world and play shows like that? You need to be at least a little bit ''into'' it to pull something like that off, if not a lot.

Yeah but I never said he was in no way at all ever interested in rock music, what I said was:

And as for:

He spent years working on CD, going over every note, being an obsessive perfectionist.

I don't buy that, I think thats misleading, that suggests that he was either CONSTANTLY or with some form of regularity, in the studio going over and over and over that shit.  Which I don't believe.  And hey, I might be wrong but I go by a persons behaviour, he don't act like a perfectionist to me, not in any way. 

As for the money, I'm sure he likes his money, most people do, but if he really is all about the money, he sure made some terrible mistakes because he could have been ten times as rich if he hadn't gone into hiding for that long and worked so long on a record and then failed to promote it.

I'm not sure that he necessarily would and it would've required a lot more work and effort.  See the going into hiding and not putting out a record for ages looks a lot like, and excuse me for being cynical here, a guy breaking up a band and then not wanting to put shit out for years and years and years because he doesn't want to carry the can creatively for what was a group enterprise and not just down to his individual 'genius'.  You think he could've put out music to match Appetite and Illusions?  I don't.  And Chi Dem proved that because if that album was the fruits of a perfectionist geniuses labour then I'd hate to see him on his worst day.  All he would've done is release two to three albums and absolutely destroyed the GnR discography with it.  They would've just been a band like a million others that released two or three belters then just couldn't cut it anymore.  This way he's still at the same or roughly the same amount of albums released, he gets to do a shitload less work, release one piece of enigmatic mysterious bullshit like Chi Dem which, just based on the reputation of the album and the alleged process of making it alone gives it some kind of mythic value...and then reunite the lads and tour and make a shitload of money like he's doing now.  I don't look at and am not really interested in the numbers but I'm willing to bet this reunion has done wonders for his bank balance.  Then throw in the shameless merchandising and lisencing and all that shit, its a lot easier than your theory of his becoming ten times more rich if he hadn't've gone into hiding because that presupposes his having the talent and wherewithal to put out consistent product...and the balls to stand behind a self created output that has to carry the can for the rep' of GnR. 

But again, this is all just my thinking, its not like I know the guy, maybe you're right, maybe neither of us are right, maybe the answers somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

If Axl was just in it for the money, he would have stopped touring after UYIs were released and lived the good life.

If Axl was just in it for the money, he wouldn't be playing 2.5-3 hour shows now, instead just a set of an hour and a half of the greatest hits.

If Axl was just in it for the money, he would have reunited with Slash a long time ago instead of insisting on touring Chinese Democracy with a ragtag band of unknowns for many years.

If Axl was just in it for the money, he'd release all the music that is now gathering dust instead of endlessly tinkering on it.

I think it is safe to conclude that his music, and how it is presented, is more important to Axl than money. Cripplingly important to him.

• Like 1

I don't buy that, I think thats misleading, that suggests that he was either CONSTANTLY or with some form of regularity, in the studio going over and over and over that shit.  Which I don't believe.  And hey, I might be wrong but I go by a persons behaviour, he don't act like a perfectionist to me, not in any way. 

I think it is pretty clear Axl is a perfectionist when it comes to his music. Fun fact, I have written a bit about it here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p120-the-history-in-their-own-words#15972

56 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it is pretty clear Axl is a perfectionist when it comes to his music. Fun fact, I have written a bit about it here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p120-the-history-in-their-own-words#15972

Yeah, again, none of that points, necessarily, to a perfectionist to me, just a bloke thats a very earnest person that takes a lot of work to get a little down.  Perhaps lack of talent is a more appropriate description.  Or perhaps wants to have a different sort of talent to the one he has.  

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, again, none of that points, necessarily, to a perfectionist to me, just a bloke thats a very earnest person that takes a lot of work to get a little down.  Perhaps lack of talent is a more appropriate description.  Or perhaps wants to have a different sort of talent to the one he has.  

Repeated vocal takes to get one that is exactly as one wants it, sounds like a perfectionist to me.