Appetite for Distortion - Eddie Trunk talks Axl interviews, Slash phone calls, and Post-Covid Concerts | Ep. 183

6 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I like how Trunk downplays the Troubadour show and keeps calling the Las Vegas show the "first show" to sweep over the fact that he wasn't important enough to get an invite to the Troubadour show :lol:

Troubador absolutely was the the first reunion show, but Las vegas was another world, and that's what he's talking about. Also, I'm confident that if he put the call in and was in LA he would have been at the Troubador show. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Great interview, but it really sounded like Trunk just ignored (or didn't know) anything about Slash recording in Axl's house. But he's right about the logistics - it's a different kind of monster to make a record.

That’s the thing - if he didn’t know about the reunion OR the recording activity at Axls then when he says he doubts a new album will be released...not exactly cast-iron source is he (certainly on this topic these days).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Great interview, but it really sounded like Trunk just ignored (or didn't know) anything about Slash recording in Axl's house. But he's right about the logistics - it's a different kind of monster to make a record.

But in what way?. They dont have to be in the same location for recording, unless we are talking about personalities, and both axl and slash mindful of the power struggles of the GNR brand since 91. Or are we talking about the business side of band?.

58 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

But in what way?. They dont have to be in the same location for recording, unless we are talking about personalities, and both axl and slash mindful of the power struggles of the GNR brand since 91. Or are we talking about the business side of band?.

They don't have to be in the same location for recording, but to actually make the production and post production, it's just a lot easier to have them in the same room to make decisions. I mean, I know they can just use Facetime (more realistically, they would have some kinda of videoconference via Webex or something), but it's not the same. 

Of course I'm assuming Axl would still reach Slash and Duff to have their say on how the music sounds. If it's all on Axl, as a producer too, then yes, they could just bounce audio tracks between them and wait for Axl to say it's finished.

IMO, Axl would ask Slash and Duff. Even when he has the final word. It's a different beast than what it was on CD era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in regards to not being in  the same room, I remember an interview axl did with MTV where he talked about the UYI songs and consulting with Slash over the phone, not in the studio.  so it's not like they haven't made an album not in the same room before.  here's to hope....

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 1:09 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

I like how Trunk downplays the Troubadour show and keeps calling the Las Vegas show the "first show" to sweep over the fact that he wasn't important enough to get an invite to the Troubadour show :lol:

On 4/2/2020 at 7:24 PM, Tom2112 said:

Troubador absolutely was the the first reunion show, but Las vegas was another world, and that's what he's talking about. Also, I'm confident that if he put the call in and was in LA he would have been at the Troubador show. 

Troubadour was the first show, but LV was the first FULL show. They played a much longer set, closer to what they're still doing today.

And Tom is spot on about LV being in a different world.

IDK that any future show will replicate the energy, excitement and even unknowns the first LV gig had. Fans flew in from all over the world to be there. There were huge fan parties all over town. I was at the one inside the New York New York.

Nobody knew what the lineup was gonna be exactly, as there were still strong rumors of Steven and Izzy's involvement, or whether they would actually play since word about the extent of AXL's injury was really just beginning to spread. There was even a long delay allowing fans into the arena, which only fueled rumors that AXL cancelled. And it was raining on us!

It wasn't until just before they let us all in that word spread about AXL using Dave's Grohl's throne.

I met folks from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, Africa, and from all around the US and beyond.

I've experienced nothing like it before or since.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

Troubadour was the first show, but LV was the first FULL show. They played a much longer set, closer to what they're still doing today.

And Tom is spot on about LV being in a different world.

IDK that any future show will replicate the energy, excitement and even unknowns the first LV gig had. Fans flew in from all over the world to be there. There were huge fan parties all over town. I was at the one inside the New York New York.

Nobody knew what the lineup was gonna be exactly, as there were still strong rumors of Steven and Izzy's involvement, or whether they would actually play since word about the extent of AXL's injury was really just beginning to spread. There was even a long delay allowing fans into the arena, which only fueled rumors that AXL cancelled. And it was raining on us!

It wasn't until just before they let us all in that word spread about AXL using Dave's Grohl's throne.

I met folks from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, Africa, and from all around the US and beyond.

I've experienced nothing like it before or since.

Maybe you met me there? I flew in from Australia for those Vegas shows, and I was the only fan at that meet up wearing the all over spaghetti print TSI T-shirt 

• Like 1

And yeah, you’re right, it was pretty special. Everyone from all over the world flew in for those Vegas shows. I guess us fans saw the opportunity to see Axl, Slash and Duff together for the first time in 23 years, and we weren’t expecting it to last, so we all flew over there to see it!

14 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

in regards to not being in  the same room, I remember an interview axl did with MTV where he talked about the UYI songs and consulting with Slash over the phone, not in the studio.  so it's not like they haven't made an album not in the same room before.  here's to hope....

I don't know, but that doesn't mean it was like that all the time. I'm sure Slash recorded with at least Axl and Duff in the same room, but the mixing process would be more relaxed. 

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slash said "Shotgun Blues" was the only song he recorded when Axl was in the room

But he wasn't the only person in the studio. At least Mike Clink and some engineer would be around. And for the rhythm, Duff would help (I'm not counting on Izzy, but he should have been there). I was talking about the big three because I think in the current situation, they are the ones with the creative minds and direction.