UYI: The lost (?) Bob Clearmountain mixes

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So it seems that it was a comedy of errors that lead to the mix we have now, and how Bill got involved. Surprising that the band chose to not go with Thompson-Barbiero again; say what you want about the drums and the reverb-- Appetite sounds great; I think Appetite sounds much better than the Illusion records. Everything has this soft, hazy sort of sound on the illusions (to me at least). Vs. Appetite and the Spaghetti Incident sound mean, dirty and sharp like a razor. It's hard to describe I guess. Don't Cry sort of exemplifies it, listening to the tone of the live versions and how aged the studio version sounds--not a big fan. Seems to be lacking grit, punch, and sharpness to me. I love all the playing on the record, just not the mix and overproduction. It seems like the band clashed and didn't have a good vision for what they wanted with the records

AFD is so crisp... really the remaster didn't do much to my ears because it was already solid as a rock. 

The 5.1 mix, however, takes that crispness and literally puts you in the room with them. It's a religious experience.

With the UYI's as they are, there just isn't the distinctness to each player / instrument. I get that a song like November Rain probably wouldn't have been the larger than life thing it was without it's sort of "blockbuster album" production.... but it sucks it had to be a one size fits all kind of thing for the rockin' songs. 

I just think a song like Dust N' Bones... if it was recorded during the AFD sessions... would have been that much better of a song. 

Edited by Ant

3 minutes ago, Ant said:

AFD is so crisp... really the remaster didn't do much to my ears because it was already solid as a rock. 

The 5.1 mix, however, takes that crispness and literally puts you in the room with them. It's a religious experience.

With the UYI's as they are, there just isn't the distinctness to each player / instrument. I get that a song like November Rain probably wouldn't have been the larger than life thing it was without it's sort of "blockbuster album" production.... but it sucks it had to be a one size fits all kind of thing for the rockin' songs. 

I just think a song like Dust N' Bones... if it was recorded during the AFD sessions... would have been that much better of a song. 

God yes... Dust N' Bones is probably my favorite track--Duff sort of blends with Izzy in the middle--spilling into the left channel. Dizzy's keys are kinda muted--the overdubs take too much of the soundstage (especially the vocal overdubs). It's a shame, really, such a dirty-bluesy song too

• Like 1