My one disappointment in Axl

Screamin' Demon

In taking a look at Axl's 2002 line-up, I must say firstly that I'm disappointed in Axl for for not retaining his 2002 line-up due to his delays etc etc. Secondly, Axl knew perfectly well what he was doing and the diverse direction of music he wanted to take that band in, unlike Slash, Duff and the rest who just wanted to lie in the rut playing hard rock instead of experimenting with diverse directions, in-depth and meaningful. Just visualise songs like Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street Of Dreams, If The World, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye, Sorry, I.R.S., Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute and all the recent leaks...a setlist primarily constructed of sorts of songs being played by Buckethead, Robin, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy and Chris, with Axl's vocals to top it off; this could have been one of the greatest and most epic bands of the modern century. Axl sure knew what he was doing...he just didn't do it wholy. If he is going to record an album again, only this time intends to do it for real, he should seek that same lineu-up, because boy they were some real talented musicians!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Screamin' Demon said:

In taking a look at Axl's 2002 line-up, I must say firstly that I'm disappointed in Axl for for not retaining his 2002 line-up due to his delays etc etc. Secondly, Axl knew perfectly well what he was doing and the diverse direction of music he wanted to take that band in, unlike Slash, Duff and the rest who just wanted to lie in the rut playing hard rock instead of experimenting with diverse directions, in-depth and meaningful. Just visualise songs like Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street Of Dreams, If The World, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye, Sorry, I.R.S., Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute and all the recent leaks...a setlist primarily constructed of sorts of songs being played by Buckethead, Robin, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy and Chris, with Axl's vocals to top it off; this could have been one of the greatest and most epic bands of the modern century. Axl sure knew what he was doing...he just didn't do it wholy. If he is going to record an album again, only this time intends to do it for real, he should seek that same lineu-up, because boy they were some real talented musicians!

That's your opinion. To me they lost the magic with the Chinese lineups and forthcoming chinese album. 

To each their own though.

Edited by vloors

I definitely think there were a ton of wasted opportunities and that particular lineup could have flourished way more than they did - but with the greatest of the leaks and final CD album being any indication, I think "greatest and most epic bands of the modern century" may be a bit of a stretch.  

I enjoy the CD material however there isn't much I have heard from the album or any of the leaks that I think would have staying power in terms of not just radio play but general musical relevance.  All that being said though just as someone who liked CD I would have liked to see more from that lineup jus for my own enjoyment 

All just my own personal opinion of course.  

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

"Lie in the rut playing hard rock"  :facepalm:

You realize that Axl has been playing AFD for years now?  And he joined ACDC, probably the most generic hard rock band there is.

It would have worked out much better for Axl had he put Guns on hiatus in 1994/5 and spent a few years getting his solo ideas done.  Then he could have regrouped with Guns at some time in the future. 

By keeping the name, Axl destroyed his new solo band and destroyed the reputation of GNR.  And probably himself as well.  I think the dude is just in it for the money at this point.

• Like 1

It seems to me that Rose spent the majority of the newgnr era playing Appetite for Destruction, demonstrably hard-rock, so I do not know where this notion that he was ''diverse'' and ''experimental'' comes from? 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Errant indefinite article
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

The chemistry just wasn't there. And it wasn't Guns N' Roses, so all the old songs sounded wrong.

Axl could go SOLO instead of GNR.

Or name it anything else but GNR. and it would be a huge success.

Just like A Perfect Circle & Tool.

+ Axl's ego ruined himself, his band and his fans. His ego is probably more huge than Donald Trump. You can see this even 'till today. Just look at his body language.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

I've always suggested that this band is a huge tale of wasted opportunities. It's as simple as that. Appetite lineup, UYI lineup, the first two Nu-GNR line ups. I think they're alll suuuuuuper talented. But the chemistry, it just didn't turn into productivity. Each lineup could have produced a lot of phenomenal music. I would have loved to live in a timeline where GN'R existed with the original Appetite lineup, hell add Gilby for touring too, recorded a few more albums, and in their spare time Axl writes CD, VR exists with Matt, Duff, Slash; Izzy writes his solo stuff, Axl still leads ACDC. GNR takes a break, and after Axl tours CD in 2002-2008, GNR gets back together in 2010 and becomes as big as the rolling stones 🤷

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2020 at 9:08 PM, Axl S said:

You only have one dissapointment :lol:

No I had too many to mention, but this one was one worth going out of my way to mention here to everybody. You'll never get to the bottom of disappointments in Axl :lol: They just keep growing and growing and forming and reforming; there's no such thing as an end! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NuGNR should have been called W.A.R. Instead. It is not GNR without slash duff and Izzy. Also Steven, but then again they did a double album without him 😢. I don’t consider Chinese democracy to be GNR, but Axl’s solo album instead. 

On 4/10/2020 at 3:57 AM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I've always suggested that this band is a huge tale of wasted opportunities. It's as simple as that. Appetite lineup, UYI lineup, the first two Nu-GNR line ups. I think they're alll suuuuuuper talented. But the chemistry, it just didn't turn into productivity. Each lineup could have produced a lot of phenomenal music. I would have loved to live in a timeline where GN'R existed with the original Appetite lineup, hell add Gilby for touring too, recorded a few more albums, and in their spare time Axl writes CD, VR exists with Matt, Duff, Slash; Izzy writes his solo stuff, Axl still leads ACDC. GNR takes a break, and after Axl tours CD in 2002-2008, GNR gets back together in 2010 and becomes as big as the rolling stones 🤷

That sounds wonderful