Unofficial updates on 2020 tour

9 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Spains PM just announced hes hoping too ease lockdown 2nd half May so thats Guns out of luck as thats there 2nd Show Lisbon Spain etc

Easing the lockdown is one thing, allowing 30k people together is another. It ain't happening, folks, deal with it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Easing the lockdown is one thing, allowing 30k people together is another. It ain't happening, folks, deal with it. 

I would assume there won't be any mass events like those before there's either herd immunity or a vaccine that is available to most people. I wonder if that will even be the case for the 2021 festival season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dean said:

I really hope London and Polska gets cancelled, which is baffling, just can't be fucked doing all of the travelling in light of this pandemic. 

I lean towards cancelled over postponed too at this point. 

The tour has absolutely run it's course-it's running on fumes now. Call a halt to it and rethink things Inna couple of years when there might be more enthusiasm for it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I lean towards cancelled over postponed too at this point. 

The tour has absolutely run it's course-it's running on fumes now. Call a halt to it and rethink things Inna couple of years when there might be more enthusiasm for it all. 

I would doubt they'll be cancelled as that would be a huge financial hit.

Also will be nice to see GNR back sometime in 2021, gives people something to look forward too.

Tour certainly isn't running on fumes just yet (NA aside) still a very bankable act it seems.

8 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

They can afford too take the hit on 2020 they have made more ££€€$$ since 2016 its doesn't matter they could do 2020 for FREE & still walk away multi multi millionaires

Lots of people involved in touring aren't millionnaires though. Everyone except the big three and TB, I'd assume. It's a disaster for all the average workers in the entertainment business.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cineater said:

The Dead is streaming a bunch of stuff on facebook live.  They are taking charitable donations for musician funds.  Each show is bringing in around $10,000 for the charities.  Thousands of people watching and helping out.

Good attitude, most the musicians  isn't rich superstars. It will be difficult time to these musicians that just liveday by day.

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Also will be nice to see GNR back sometime in 2021, gives people something to look forward too.

Tour certainly isn't running on fumes just yet (NA aside) still a very bankable act it seems.

Back in 2021 with new tunes and a new tour. Cancel now and announce a tour when it's more concrete it'll happen. 

USA sales were poor. New tunes would boost that. 

I'm missing out on a few shows this year so will be fired up for 2020. Did you have any shows booked? 😁 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Depends if you call a band touring the same setlist for 5 years and selling very few tickets 'running on fumes' I suppose........

7 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Back in 2021 with new tunes and a new tour. Cancel now and announce a tour when it's more concrete it'll happen. 

USA sales were poor. New tunes would boost that. 

I'm missing out on a few shows this year so will be fired up for 2020. Did you have any shows booked? 😁 

While I do think cancelling all dates and announcing a worldwide tour with a new song or two + good support would be a good approach (might make a post about that).

NA sales were poor but I assume the tour was planned to be a 'groupon' tour, the prices to venue size don't make sense otherwise from LiveNation's and promoter's POV.

Yeah missing quite a few shows this year, luckily didn't have too many booked for summer but still. Will save me a fortune as I normally way overspend on going to gigs.

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Depends if you call a band touring the same setlist for 5 years and selling very few tickets 'running on fumes' I suppose........

But they haven't been touring the same setlist? We've had numerous songs performed for the first time in decades on this tour + a 'new' single put into the set. Tbh the setlist they have right now is pretty near perfect in terms of balancing what casuals what versus what hardcore fans want.

And see above for the NA sales. All other markets are still more than ripe for GNR but the NA tour was doubtlessly planned to cash in on whales in the first few months and then become a groupon tour as showtime arrived. Would've been a good show though, GNR and Smashing Pumpkins on the same bill :drool:

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

While I do think cancelling all dates and announcing a worldwide tour with a new song or two + good support would be a good approach (might make a post about that).

NA sales were poor but I assume the tour was planned to be a 'groupon' tour, the prices to venue size don't make sense otherwise from LiveNation's and promoter's POV.

Yeah missing quite a few shows this year, luckily didn't have too many booked for summer but still. Will save me a fortune as I normally way overspend on going to gigs.

But they haven't been touring the same setlist? We've had numerous songs performed for the first time in decades on this tour + a 'new' single put into the set. Tbh the setlist they have right now is pretty near perfect in terms of balancing what casuals what versus what hardcore fans want.

And see above for the NA sales. All other markets are still more than ripe for GNR but the NA tour was doubtlessly planned to cash in on whales in the first few months and then become a groupon tour as showtime arrived. Would've been a good show though, GNR and Smashing Pumpkins on the same bill :drool:

"I assume the tour was planned to be a 'groupon' tour" - oh come off it! So they booked a tour with the intention to comp tickets and give them away at cheap prices?! I've heard it all now! 

To say they haven't been touring the same setlist is equally ludicrous. Other than a couple of very minor alternatives, it's exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

"I assume the tour was planned to be a 'groupon' tour" - oh come off it! So they booked a tour with the intention to comp tickets and give them away at cheap prices?! I've heard it all now! 

Absolutely, By that I don't literally mean they hoped to do a tonne of group buy deals but it would have been factored in. As already said they'd hope to milk whales and ticket resellers for the crazy high initial prices and then cut prices + add group deals as the shows got closer. Doesn't make sense to think otherwise really LN knew how many big stadium shows were going out on the road this year and what numbers GNR did in their recent arena leg.

As always LN has access to far better data than us and aren't in the habit of losing money.

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

To say they haven't been touring the same setlist is equally ludicrous. Other than a couple of very minor alternatives, it's exactly the same. 

And as for the setlist, of course they play mostly the same songs each night! Those are the hits people pay to see! Imagine if instead of November Rain they played Breakdown, fans would be angry. But that doesn't mean there's no variety in it, as covered on the last full leg alone we got Dead Horse and Locomotive for the first time in decades.

As it stands the current setlist is pretty near perfect in balancing what people want to see.

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

Absolutely, By that I don't literally mean they hoped to do a tonne of group buy deals but it would have been factored in. As already said they'd hope to milk whales and ticket resellers for the crazy high initial prices and then cut prices + add group deals as the shows got closer. Doesn't make sense to think otherwise really LN knew how many big stadium shows were going out on the road this year and what numbers GNR did in their recent arena leg.

As always LN has access to far better data than us and aren't in the habit of losing money.

And as for the setlist, of course they play mostly the same songs each night! Those are the hits people pay to see! Imagine if instead of November Rain they played Breakdown, fans would be angry. But that doesn't mean there's no variety in it, as covered on the last full leg alone we got Dead Horse and Locomotive for the first time in decades.

As it stands the current setlist is pretty near perfect in balancing what people want to see.

I don't know what to say really. If you genuinely think promoters book tours in order for them to sell poorly and flog off tickets cheap, then there really is no point debating. 

The setlist hasn't changed in 5 years. Whether it's 'pretty near perfect' is irrelevant. Quite clearly people are tired of seeing the same songs played in the same order, for years at a time. 

Your desire to defend any aspect of GNR's operation from any sort of criticism, ever, is very interesting.......if not entirely unique to those of us of a more suspicious mind. 

11 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Breakdown! Now you're talking. 

A part from a handful of Locomotive and Dead Horse performances Most setlist changes have been covers. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't know what to say really. If you genuinely think promoters book tours in order for them to sell poorly and flog off tickets cheap, then there really is no point debating. 

That's not what my post said, but feel free to misinterpret. 

Looking at the scale of the tour that was planned for NA this year and the initial price point it's pretty clear to see what they planned. The GNR tour isn't bringing anything brand new to the table (be that new music, re-releases or new(old) band members) so to try and increase(?) on previous NA prices for such huge venues makes no sense.

I'd suggest reading this article for a brief overview.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/1537643/what-the-music-business-can-learn-from-the-gaming-and

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The setlist hasn't changed in 5 years. Whether it's 'pretty near perfect' is irrelevant. Quite clearly people are tired of seeing the same songs played in the same order, for years at a time. 

But it has? Again the majority of fans want to hear the hits they love and there is also sections of the setlist given to the hardcore fans (Coma, Locomotive, Deadhorse etc). Most shows vary from each other by a song or two.

And the average fan is not following each and every show on here. Most have no idea (or care) over what order the songs come in.

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Your desire to defend any aspect of GNR's operation from any sort of criticism, ever, is very interesting.......if not entirely unique to those of us of a more suspicious mind. 

Wouldn't say I defend all aspects of the GNR camp. There's many ways they could improve their operation (and easily at that). I just stay a realist when it comes to these things.

9 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Breakdown! Now you're talking. 

A part from a handful of Locomotive and Dead Horse performances Most setlist changes have been covers. 

Personally I'd like Breakdown but totally understand why it's not in the set.

Depends what you consider a change. Some shows they throw in 'Yesterday' in others they switch up 'Out ta get me' and 'My Michelle' and they tend to only play one of 'patience' or 'Don't Cry' (Which is ridiculous btw!).

There is variety in the setlist it's just not what people on here want.

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

That's not what my post said, but feel free to misinterpret. 

Looking at the scale of the tour that was planned for NA this year and the initial price point it's pretty clear to see what they planned. The GNR tour isn't bringing anything brand new to the table (be that new music, re-releases or new(old) band members) so to try and increase(?) on previous NA prices for such huge venues makes no sense.

I'd suggest reading this article for a brief overview.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/1537643/what-the-music-business-can-learn-from-the-gaming-and

But it has? Again the majority of fans want to hear the hits they love and there is also sections of the setlist given to the hardcore fans (Coma, Locomotive, Deadhorse etc). Most shows vary from each other by a song or two.

And the average fan is not following each and every show on here. Most have no idea (or care) over what order the songs come in.

Wouldn't say I defend all aspects of the GNR camp. There's many ways they could improve their operation (and easily at that). I just stay a realist when it comes to these things.

Personally I'd like Breakdown but totally understand why it's not in the set.

Depends what you consider a change. Some shows they throw in 'Yesterday' in others they switch up 'Out ta get me' and 'My Michelle' and they tend to only play one of 'patience' or 'Don't Cry' (Which is ridiculous btw!).

There is variety in the setlist it's just not what people on here want.

Sure. They booked a tour with the express intention of giving away tickets. Got it.

The same as 2011, right, where they were giving out tickets for free to anyone that wanted them? Let me guess.....that was all part of their plan for THAT tour too? 

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Sure. They booked a tour with the express intention of giving away tickets. Got it.

The same as 2011, right, where they were giving out tickets for free to anyone that wanted them? Let me guess.....that was all part of their plan for THAT tour too? 

Again you misunderstand. It's not a difficult concept but I guess it can be quite alien at first if you've not come across it before.

They would earn big bucks initially from early adopters and then round out the attendance with cheaper tickets. 

Two things about this tour:

1. We have no idea how full the shows would have been come showtime, coz they ain't happening

2. We have no idea what the projected sales were for these tickets, and never will

As for the 2011 shows those were a case of booking a theatre act into arenas. Would've made way more sense to do 2/3 nights at a 2000 capacity place than one night at a half filled 10'000 arena. The 2012 up close and personal tour was a better fit (higher prices, smaller venues).

But that tour went ahead so must have done at least alright. Always a point to consider you don't have to sell a place out to make money.

I've looked into the 2011 US tour several times to try and make sense of how/why it was booked, also for posterity I feel we should all have a laugh at

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Again you misunderstand. It's not a difficult concept but I guess it can be quite alien at first if you've not come across it before.

They would earn big bucks initially from early adopters and then round out the attendance with cheaper tickets. 

Two things about this tour:

1. We have no idea how full the shows would have been come showtime, coz they ain't happening

2. We have no idea what the projected sales were for these tickets, and never will

As for the 2011 shows those were a case of booking a theatre act into arenas. Would've made way more sense to do 2/3 nights at a 2000 capacity place than one night at a half filled 10'000 arena. The 2012 up close and personal tour was a better fit (higher prices, smaller venues).

But that tour went ahead so must have done at least alright. Always a point to consider you don't have to sell a place out to make money.

I've looked into the 2011 US tour several times to try and make sense of how/why it was booked, also for posterity I feel we should all have a laugh at

Right.......so the problem in 2011 was "a case of booking a theatre act into arenas".

But this time the problem ISN'T that they've booked an Arena act into a Stadium? 

Same shit, different decade to me. 

Right.......so the problem in 2011 was "a case of booking a theatre act into arenas".

But this time the problem ISN'T that they've booked an Arena act into a Stadium? 

Same shit, different decade to me. 

No not at all. 

GNR have done stadiums in the US easily. The price point for these is just way off what it should be.

GNR are a stadium act in NA if they tour at a leisurely pace, but they've been touring NA super heavily recently (for some reason).

If these were the first shows since 2016 I could kind of understand the scale of the tour.

But I think a promoter just got greedy with what they tried to charge with these tickets. Shows still would have absolutely gone ahead though.

Just now, GNR_RNR said:

No not at all. 

GNR have done stadiums in the US easily. The price point for these is just way off what it should be.

GNR are a stadium act in NA if they tour at a leisurely pace, but they've been touring NA super heavily recently (for some reason).

If these were the first shows since 2016 I could kind of understand the scale of the tour.

But I think a promoter just got greedy with what they tried to charge with these tickets. Shows still would have absolutely gone ahead though.

They'd done Arenas easily too.....but as you say, at that point they were a 'theatre' act. The constant touring and lack of forward motion had eroded their audience. 

They are not still a stadium act simply because they did stadiums in the past. That's nonsensical. 

They're an Arena act booked into stadiums. That point couldn't be more clear.....as evidenced by the fact they WERE DOING ARENAS in America and not filling them just before they announced the stadium shows! 

They'd done Arenas easily too.....but as you say, at that point they were a 'theatre' act. The constant touring and lack of forward motion had eroded their audience. 

They are not still a stadium act simply because they did stadiums in the past. That's nonsensical. 

They're an Arena act booked into stadiums. That point couldn't be more clear.....as evidenced by the fact they WERE DOING ARENAS in America and not filling them just before they announced the stadium shows! 

GNR had not done a NA arena tour in a sellout capacity since the 90's. It made no sense to jump them straight to all arenas (I could've understood some arenas in big markets).

And as of GNR a NA stadium act, see Metallica as their closest comparison doing also NA stadium tour (and proving you don't need to sellout dates to be successful). But again they had lightly toured NA before that tour.

Currently I'd say GNR can easily do arenas every year in the US or do stadiums every couple years. It's all about supply and demand, and currently GNR have flooded the US market a bit.

But they're still a stadium act no doubt.