Jump to content

New Rolling Stones song 'Living in a Ghost Town'


Recommended Posts

The Stones just released a new song, got a little 'Miss You' vibe.. I prefer 'Doom & Gloom' from 2012, but I'm glad that we have the first new original Stones music since 2012!

https://open.spotify.com/track/5RrrQhJKKKMJt3wB5n2N3t?si=vMC1338wTrmRF99JqdWzZg

Mods feel free to merge this with the Eternal Touring Stones thread if you want to, I just thought this needs an own thread 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool song. The sonics wore down my ear with one listen though. There is a bit of a classic Neve console tone to the drums and bass which is welcomed, but theres also some shrillness on the very same tracks. 

Speaking of tone and ears, 'ghosts living is a ghost town' strikes me as being a bit tone deaf with such a high death toll, world wide.

And next time give us a full, proper guitar solo. I love the "oh oh oh oh" refrain though. That and the cartoonish guitar 'plings' bring Josh Homme to mind. I think The Stones could risk just being The Stones when they release music.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like it! Solid song. Definitely some 90s and 2000s Stones in that one. A bit of "Out of Control" and "Laugh I Nearly Died"

I agree Doom and Gloom is their best song in a very long time, but this is a good effort that I will continue to listen to. Id love an album if all songs were on par 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

 

Anyone?

That is what originally sprung to mind. With them off the back of doing a covers album, anything was possible!

Unsure what to make of this to be honest. It'll certainly take more listens to digest it properly, but didn't have the same effect as what hearing Doom and Gloom for the first time did. 

Mick said a few years ago that they were working on an album of new material, so maybe a new Stones record later on in the year!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the production notes, I think the instrumentals were done about a year ago (LA/London), January-mid 2019, but Mick must have written the lyrics and recorded them (in his home studio, France) remarkably recently, April 2020 perhaps? It would have been a rather different song lyrically without corona - one can assume.

Reports are that the band had about five-six songs in the can from those same LA/London sessions. 

Vinyl released June 26th.

Video (official channel),

 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Reading the production notes, I think the instrumentals were done about a year ago (LA/London), January-mid 2019, but Mick must have written the lyrics and recorded them (in his home studio, France) remarkably recently, April 2020 perhaps? It would have been a rather different song lyrically without corona - one can assume.

Reports are that the band had about five-six songs in the can from those same LA/London sessions. 

Vinyl released June 26th.

Video (official channel),

Do you not think there’s a slightly oppertunistic feel to the whole thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who cares if true? It's the Stones. 

This is precisely the reason they get away with it in my book...cuz if this was Bono (and it was) or Elton John I’d be climbing right up their arse about it (and did re: Bono).

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Len Cnut said:

This is precisely the reason they get away with it in my book...cuz if this was Bono (and it was) or Elton John I’d be climbing right up their arse about it (and did re: Bono).

Yes but Elton and Bono are utter shit. The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock band ever. Big difference. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but Elton and Bono are utter shit. The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock band ever. Big difference. 

the rolling stones are a poor man's Queen

there, I said it :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, action said:

the rolling stones are a poor man's Queen

there, I said it :P

I honestly struggle to imagine a band as shit as Queen or U2.  I sometimes feel like God created them for them to be the answer of that very question for each other.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...