Music on the go (Streaming, iPod, Music player etc)

Dean

On 4/25/2020 at 11:59 AM, Dean said:

Hi folks,

What do you guys use for your music fix when out of the house? Do you rely on Spotify on your phone? Still use an iPod or alternate music players that can play FLAC etc?

I still carry both an iPod and phone with me everywhere, which has never been fashionable but I always liked having the both separate. 

I recently came to the end of my storage capacity on the iPod. 64gb has lasted me 8 years almost, so recently forked out £400 for the 256gb iPod and I absolutely despise the interface of the music app. It’s exactly the same as the iPhone which is horrendous, but also stupid of me to think it’d have the same layout as the 5th gen iPod touch which is a thing of beauty. Apple don’t give a fuck about iPods anymore and neither do the general public, so I can’t expect much more.

I’ll be returning this, but wanted to see if any of you can offer alternatives to look at? Also wanted to see what you folks mostly use.

Take care and keep safe!!!

My iPod Classic 160GB. The GOAT portable music player. I generally hate Apple and particularly it's software, but this device is perfect. I have Spotify but I don't like it much because there's a lot of music in my personal library that isn't on there. Bootlegs, but also a lot of regular stuff. Phones are also a lot more fragile, especially the screen. And the battery is easily drained. 

The world needs more portable mp3 players with large amounts of storage. Or at least I do. Since the iPod I have now isn't being produced anymore and the world seems to go more towards streaming. I'd still rather plug a 128GB or more SD Card into my phone than move to streaming though. 

Edit: 

I just checked the iPod Touch 256GB. Seems ok, but I think 449 euro is a ridiculous price. 

Edited by username
  • GNFNR 1

I never realised how fuckin' reliant my music consumption was to my fuckin' phone.  I have an old banger of a car thats full of CDs so that covers the little driving I do, other than that its been my phone for years now.  I made the fuckin' mistake of getting an upgrade with a shit amount of storage and its really fucked with my music consumption.  My old phone was like 128gb or whatever, this ones considerably less and I've hardly got any fuckin' tunes on it and I need a fuckload of variety, which I don't have no so I just find myself reverting to type and listening to a shitload of blues.

47 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never realised how fuckin' reliant my music consumption was to my fuckin' phone.  I have an old banger of a car thats full of CDs so that covers the little driving I do, other than that its been my phone for years now.  I made the fuckin' mistake of getting an upgrade with a shit amount of storage and its really fucked with my music consumption.  My old phone was like 128gb or whatever, this ones considerably less and I've hardly got any fuckin' tunes on it and I need a fuckload of variety, which I don't have no so I just find myself reverting to type and listening to a shitload of blues.

Do you have an android? Might be worthwhile looking into getting an SD card if possible for higher storage capacity that shouldn't break the bank.

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Do you have an android? Might be worthwhile looking into getting an SD card if possible for higher storage capacity that shouldn't break the bank.

Nah, I don't but I think I fuckin' should based on your comment, I've got an Apple thingie. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Nah, I don't but I think I fuckin' should based on your comment, I've got an Apple thingie. 

They have access to a whole load of other things that are restricted by Apple. Unfortunately at this point, I'm too used to the iPhone so I'm still on those too. Next time you're due an upgrade, take a look into those Huawei phones that are all the rage at the minute. I've heard good things and a friend of mine ditched his iPod and just upgraded the storage capacity of his phone and now runs his music off that and a cracked copy of Spotify :lol:

I'm rolling with CDs in the car. I never thought that would become antiquated, but here we are.

Most iPods I've had pretty much bit the dust in the battery department fairly quickly after warranty (planned obsolescence).

Had a classic iPod years ago. Certainly one of the best products of the 00's. Eventually the battery had to be replaced, then the motherboard went out some time later. That thing was a beast though. If you wanted to get tricky you could even play a few games on there. Phase was the music/ rhythm game that used your own tunes.

Had two or three iPod touches. Battery went to hell on them. One I still have, only works if plugged in-- Which is even difficult because the lightning port's worn out, and it's gotta be firmly held in, in just the right way...

I agree with others on disliking the user interfaces on phones, or big touch screens period. The phone is fine for podcasts, but I miss having a high capacity portable music player on the go ( in conjunction with a flip phone)

Does anyone have a Zune or Neil Young's Pono?

On 5/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, doakes said:

I'm rolling with CDs in the car. I never thought that would become antiquated, but here we are.

Most iPods I've had pretty much bit the dust in the battery department fairly quickly after warranty (planned obsolescence).

Had a classic iPod years ago. Certainly one of the best products of the 00's. Eventually the battery had to be replaced, then the motherboard went out some time later. That thing was a beast though. If you wanted to get tricky you could even play a few games on there. Phase was the music/ rhythm game that used your own tunes.

Had two or three iPod touches. Battery went to hell on them. One I still have, only works if plugged in-- Which is even difficult because the lightning port's worn out, and it's gotta be firmly held in, in just the right way...

I agree with others on disliking the user interfaces on phones, or big touch screens period. The phone is fine for podcasts, but I miss having a high capacity portable music player on the go ( in conjunction with a flip phone)

Does anyone have a Zune or Neil Young's Pono?

I've been incredibly lucky that every iPod I've owned has always been grand battery wise. The only issue I had was that the home button died on my 5th gen Touch, cheap enough to repair but I never bothered. Sounds daft, but have you ever tried to take a tooth pick to get at any debris that may be preventing the Touch to take charge, or is the charging port completely fucked? If you haven't, I recommend trying it (obviously not forcefully, just around the edges) 

I looked into purchasing one of the Astell and Kern players, but the storage available and the price it would cost me was enough to put me off. I had no idea Neil Young released a music player, looked at a few reviews of it but again seems to be pricey for what it offers.

I'd recommend going back to the classic if you can pick one up fairly cheap, especially if you'd prefer to have two separate devices.

• Like 1