Post Malone - Nirvana Tribute Stream

RussTCB

I've never understood the appeal of Post Malone.  I mean, good on him for reaching the level of success he has.  He seems like a decent enough guy who doesn't take himself too serious.

But I really don't get his music.  Maybe that's me being old.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

He has a few 'decent' songs, for a pop artist. I'd much prefer listen to someone like Leon Bridges. Stay is a pretty good tune, ill admit. 

I dig the hell out of Leon Bridges, especially his second album. I could take or leave most Post Malone songs but I thought this tribute was pretty cool.

6 hours ago, Creed said:

I'm too old understand his success

That's the thing, young people drive the market. Whatever they respond to will dictate the charts and the sales. It sure as hell isn't gonna be old man Ozzy or David Coverdale. Robert Plant did it right, he went "fuck all that noise" and just does whatever he wants musically.  

2 minutes ago, moreblack said:

That's the thing, young people drive the market. Whatever they respond to will dictate the charts and the sales. It sure as hell isn't gonna be old man Ozzy or David Coverdale. Robert Plant did it right, he went "fuck all that noise" and just does whatever he wants musically.  

that's one reason. The other is that rock as a genre also had it's time in the mainstream. Take the most successful rock bands in the world and compare it to other artists in other genres: not even close.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Really? What didn't you like about it? 

I'm just not a fan of Post Malone. That auto-tune rap is not my thing.

Here, he didn't do a bad job. He definitely should be making another genre of music himself.

When I want to listen to Nirvana however, I listen to Nirvana.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I'm just not a fan of Post Malone. That auto-tune rap is not my thing.

Here, he didn't do a bad job. He definitely should be making another genre of music himself.

When I want to listen to Nirvana however, I listen to Nirvana.

I'm not a big fan of his music either. I do dig tributes when seeing the original isn't an option any longer though. 

I thought the setlist on this show was killer and he did a really decent job on all the songs. I think me not being that big of a fan actually added to my enjoyment. Like "wow, I don't even like this dude and he's kicking ass on some great song selections" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Rick Astley is a redhead with a unique deep and froggy voice. But i'm really asking myself who bought his records back then. Sure, his hit song is catchy. But it was never cool to be Rick Astley fan. He was just the essence of annoying pop music back then.

Kylie Minogue sounds like Rick when you slow her down btw.

There were a lot of musicians from that time frame that are really annoying. Bobby Mcferrin comes to mind immediately.  But there are some pretty obscure artists or songs that I like also. Heart and Soul by a band called T'Pau and Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson.

That was fuckin' terrible.  Its incredible how Nirvana, such a great band, influenced such shit fuckin' other bands, thats an interesting phenomenon, usually in history prior to that, great bands inspired other great bands, everyone who Nirvana inspired seemed to be a bunch of wankers.  Puddle of Mudd, this fuckin' mouthbreather here.  I wonder why that is, I struggle to think of other examples.  The Smiths perhaps?  I can't think of anyone or anything good they inspired, despite being great themselves.  Perhaps its the fuckin' sensitivity of the music that lends it a emotional complexity thats difficult to replicate.  Feelings are a funny thing, everyone has them but very few can express them, at least musically, and make that shit appealling. 

People that do Nirvana always seem to be interesting primarily in like...replicating them.  Like REALLY replicating them, not covering a song with a view to like, OK, here's MY take on THEIR song but like...hey look at me, I'm Kurt Cobain.  Like that fuckin' Jared Leto thing, was it Jared Leto?  Funny innit, the poor sod couldn't fuckin' bear living in his own skin and then there's all these fuckin' people out there wanting to be him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

That was fuckin' terrible.  Its incredible how Nirvana, such a great band, influenced such shit fuckin' other bands, thats an interesting phenomenon, usually in history prior to that, great bands inspired other great bands, everyone who Nirvana inspired seemed to be a bunch of wankers.  Puddle of Mudd, this fuckin' mouthbreather here.  I wonder why that is, I struggle to think of other examples.  The Smiths perhaps?  I can't think of anyone or anything good they inspired, despite being great themselves.  Perhaps its the fuckin' sensitivity of the music that lends it a emotional complexity thats difficult to replicate.  Feelings are a funny thing, everyone has them but very few can express them, at least musically, and make that shit appealling. 

People that do Nirvana always seem to be interesting primarily in like...replicating them.  Like REALLY replicating them, not covering a song with a view to like, OK, here's MY take on THEIR song but like...hey look at me, I'm Kurt Cobain.  Like that fuckin' Jared Leto thing, was it Jared Leto?  Funny innit, the poor sod couldn't fuckin' bear living in his own skin and then there's all these fuckin' people out there wanting to be him. 

can't express what isn't there and even if these musicians had those sort of emotions like a lot of pain and a real bleak outlook on their life like Kurt had, it's likely that most are just not talented enough to translate it to music. Can't replicate the personality of a musician. Every good cover I've heard, the musician doesn't even try to do that but instead they try to inject their own personality into the tune by connection to the material and the emotion the original artist conveyed.

Edited by Rovim

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I think you may have missed the point here. The guy threw together a Nirvana tribute for an online stream to raise money. 

He doesn't think he's Kurt and wasn't trying to be in any way. He certainly wasn't making any sort of attempt to perfectly replicate the songs. 

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

"This fuckin' mouthbreather here"😄 almost spit my coffee out on that one. Did Leto play Cobain? I know that movie Last Days had another actor, Michael Pitt.

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

"This fuckin' mouthbreather here"😄 almost spit my coffee out on that one. Did Leto play Cobain? I know that movie Last Days had another actor, Michael Pitt.

It was one of those fuckin’ gay little instagram ‘i-bet-we-woulda-been-soulmates-if-we-ever-met-cuz-we’re-both-such-sensitive-artists, anniversary love letter tribute things.  Sort of like Liam Gallagher and his mad fuckin’ ‘I’m the reincarnation of John Lennon’ thing, something about that thing just got a weird fuckin’ response out of me, thats like me fuckin’ getting up on Malcolm X’s birthday, putting a load of shoe polish on my face and going down to 100 and whatever street in Harlem and doing The Bullet and the Ballot speech.  If I weren’t me I’d fuckin’ pay money to see that, watch black Americans lynch someone for a change :lol: 

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I think you may have missed the point here. The guy threw together a Nirvana tribute for an online stream to raise money. 

He doesn't think he's Kurt and wasn't trying to be in any way. He certainly wasn't making any sort of attempt to perfectly replicate the songs. 

I’m not knocking the cause or anything, I’m just knocking the...the thingie, the you know what, the fuckin’...doing of the Nirvana songs.  Plus he looks like a little fat penis with tattoos.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It was one of those fuckin’ gay little instagram ‘i-bet-we-woulda-been-soulmates-if-we-ever-met-cuz-we’re-both-such-sensitive-artists, anniversary love letter tribute things.  Sort of like Liam Gallagher and his mad fuckin’ ‘I’m the reincarnation of John Lennon’ thing, something about that thing just got a weird fuckin’ response out of me, thats like me fuckin’ getting up on Malcolm X’s birthday, putting a load of shoe polish on my face and going down to 100 and whatever street in Harlem and doing The Bullet and the Ballot speech.  If I weren’t me I’d fuckin’ pay money to see that, watch black Americans lynch someone for a change :lol: 

I’m not knocking the cause or anything, I’m just knocking the...the thingie, the you know what, the fuckin’...doing of the Nirvana songs.  Plus he looks like a little fat penis with tattoos.

I don't know who this Post Malone turd is but it reminds me of every dude-bro you'd see in a bar on Friday and Saturday night trying to do Nirvana covers and it comes out sounding like a butt rock band.

• Haha 1