Favorite Contribution From Every Member of GNR

17 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Slash for having the balls during the illusion era to read every press interview and giving approval before allowing the magazine/paper to publish the interview with fear of being misinterpreted, and in the same breadth going on record as saying "fuck censorship").

Hm I don't think that's quite fair. It's not so much that by proofreading interviews he was looking to censor stuff he'd already said, more that he was looking to flag any article which had taken quotes out of context, or omitted things he had said, in order to create a sensationalist 'scandal' piece as some unscrupulous journalists do. Happens in politics all the time, we will have seen examples of that. 

Axl - WTTJ scream, Rock am Ring 2006

Slash - November Rain solos

Robin - Better and This I Love solos

Paul - Catcher Co-writing

Buckethead - If the World solo 

Bumble - Don't Cry live

Richard - Another Brick in the Wall Jam w/ Bumble

Izzy - Think Ablout You songwriting

Duff - Right Next Door To Hell bass lines

Tommy - Going Down (Robin/Tommy Demo #2) , CD and TWAT bass lines

Steven - whole Appetite album 

Matt - YCBM drums 

Brain - drums on The Blues 

Dizzy - Piano on the Blues 

Chris - synth orchestra on TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute, French Horn on Madagascar, Guitar and Bass on If the World 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AXL - the first verse of Better "the hardest part this troubled heart...". It's nothing that different, but I remember being in tears after hearing it on the 2006 demo. Couldn't believe how good he sounded there.

SLASH - SCOM outro solo

IZZY - Rocket Queen's rhythm

DUFF - Locomotive intro

STEVEN - Rocket Queen

MATT - Locomotive outro

DIZZY - Street of Dreams intro

GILBY - rhythm on Raw Power?

TOMMY - Street of Dreams outro (you can hear that a lot better in the RIR3 live performance, but it's still there in the mix)

ROBIN - Better solo

JOSH - OMG disco bridge 

BUCKETHEAD - Better fills. The one after the 1st chorus and the arpeggio nightmare in the last chorus, after the break. That shit is brilliant.

CHRIS - Madagascar synth

BRAIN - Riad 

PAUL - His rhythm guitar in The Blues demo 

FRANK - "his badass fill at the end of the Bucket solo in IRS" <-- that

BUMBLEFOOT - Scraped solo

FORTUS - his contribution to the riff in the Better chorus <-- that

--

Those two only had live shit I guess:

Melissa - I like her synth in Better and very high pitched backing vocals in CD

DJ - every time he wasn't playing.

• Like 2

Stealing the format from @Sossoabove.

Axl - Coma lyrics

Slash - Estranged solos

Robin - Better and This I Love solos

Paul - whatever help he provided to Axl that kept him going between 1996 and 1999

Buckethead - TWAT second solo

Bumblefoot - being the most straightforward, down to earth guy to ever associate with the band

Richard - Better bridge

Izzy - Pretty Tied Up writing

Gilby - n/a

DJ Ashba - leaving the band

Duff - n/a

Tommy - filling role of The General and pretty much keep the band going 2002 - 2014

Steven - amazing groove on AFD

Matt - Locomotive drumming

Brain - n/a

Frank - bringing a new groove to many tired classics

Dizzy - n/a

Melissa - n/a

Chris - all work that we've heard from the Chinese Democracy sessions

• Like 2

Axl- Starting GNR and keeping it going through heaven and hell

Izzy- Working with Axl during those crucial first few years getting GNR up and running

Duff- His basswork and being the moderator in the band.

DJ- His live performances and TIL rendition

Robin- All his CD Solos especially TIL

Buckethead -TWAT and Sorry Solo's

Frank-Being the longest-serving drummer and his  modern drumming style

Richard- Working with Slash and being one of the core 4 during the CD era keeping the band together with Axl, Tommy, and Dizzy

Slash-Being Slash

Brain- His CD drumming.

Matt- YCBM drum track

Steven-Getting fired

Bumblefoot- His live tone and his technical ability

Tommy-giving GNR a modern style rhythm section with Brain/Frank,  Dizzy, Richard  and Pitman

Pitman-His synth work on CD and live performances

Melissa-her live performances and backing vocals 

Dizzy- His piano work on the illusions

Paul-Helping Axl continue GNR during 95-99

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

There's really no Duff contributions you care about?

Not really, no. I don't dislike him or anything, but nothing he's done with the band has ever really stood out to me. 

• Sad 1

Izzy - too many to name but his lyrics to ''14 Years'' leap out.

Rose- vocals on Appetite, something like ''Nightrain'' perhaps

Slash - guitar solo ''Nghtrain''

Duff - ''It's So Easy''

Adler - drumming on ''Brownstone'' or ''Rocket Queen''

Sorum - decent drum work on ''Locomotive''

Dizzy- ?

Gilby - ''Wild Horses'' wasn't bad I suppose. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • GNFNR 1

Axl - Coma, Estranged, This I Love Remix

Slash - Locomotive, Estranged

Izzy - Dust N' Bones

Duff - SCOM intro, It's So Easy

Steven - Mr Brownstone, Rocket Queen

Dizzy - Civil War

Matt - Locomotive

Paul - Oh My God (I guess?)

Pitman - Bridge School 2012

Robin - This I Love

Josh - Rhiad

Tommy - There Was A Time, Going Down

Brain - Shackler's Revenge, Sorry

Buckethead - There Was A Time, If The World

Richard - Better, Wish You Were Here (live)

Bumblefoot - Estranged (live), Don't Cry (live)

Frank - This I Love (live... because it's probably the song with the least amount of drums)

DJ - Ballad Of Death

Melissa - Chinese Democracy and Sorry (backing vocals)

• Like 1

Great topic  - here's mine:

Axl - One in a million - no, not the lyrics, the singing especially the last verse and chorus - spine tingling stuff

Slash - so many of course as with all the original 5 but Estranged first solo tips it for me

Izzy - a toss up between Rocket Queen and One in a Million for me - he was the heart and soul and groove of that band and they were never the same no doubt. His UYI tracks kick ass too

Duff - It's so easy 

Steven - Mr. Brownstone

Matt - Locomotive

Dizzy - Dust n' bones

I don't really consider them gunners but I'll include the following also:

Robin - Better

Bucket -  Sorry

Tommy - Catcher in the rye 

• Like 1

Axl Rose - Chinese Democracy sessions, the album and his vocals throughout, highlighting that he was at the very top of his game. 

PHT- His work on the songs he helped bring to the table. The credits he has on GNR songs highlight what a talent he is. An instrumental part in helping Axl get the album and band together.

Tommy - His bass throughout Chinese is a hidden gem. Going Down is a great song and I wish him nothing but the best.

Finck - His playing made me fall in love with the band. His renditions of the November Rain and Patience solos are a personal preference over the studio takes. Would have loved to have seen him stay involved following the release of Chinese.

Dizzy - Required for the direction Guns were heading in at the start of the 90's. Featured throughout the Illusions, but was a massive part in the whole of the CD era and shone on the album.

Bucket - There Was A Time, what more needs to be said?

Pitman - I became disillusioned with Mothergoose as the years past us by, no denying that he was a massive part in the initial creation of the project and he features heavily. Sadly, his outburst towards the fan community soured him for me, along with his opinion that Guns didn't need to release new material.

Brain - The drums on Atlas alone. Beautiful. Brought a lot of life into the back catalogue too.

Slash - Despite rumours that I think have been exaggerated in the past in regards to the creation of the Illusion records, I feel it shows Slash at his very best. Coma is a fucking juggernaut.

Duff - He came up with bass lines that you could sing. Punk as fuck.

Izzy - Besides complimenting Slash wonderfully on Appetite, his playing throughout Lies is a joy to behold, especially his electric work on One In A Million. Patience is one of the best songs ever written in my opinion. Kudos to him and ginger bollocks.

Adler - A fucking mentalist, but an undeniable groove and talent that he still possesses to this day despite the hurdles he has come across in his life. He played with a swing and is a key ingredient to why so many love Appetite in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Slash - for leaving. In doing so it saved his life, it meant we got 8+ new albums of material (2 Snakepit, 2 VR, 4 solo), and it ultimately introduced me to the equally amazing Bucket.

Also Don't Damn Me solo + Coma outro.

Absolutely. I wouldn't trade all the albums Slash featured on for anything. 5 O'Clock, Contraband and Slash with guests are 3 of my favourite all time albums 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On May 5, 2020 at 4:21 AM, jimmythegent said:

Great topic  - here's mine:

Axl - One in a million - no, not the lyrics, the singing especially the last verse and chorus - spine tingling stuff

Slash - so many of course as with all the original 5 but Estranged first solo tips it for me

Izzy - a toss up between Rocket Queen and One in a Million for me - he was the heart and soul and groove of that band and they were never the same no doubt. His UYI tracks kick ass too

Duff - It's so easy 

Steven - Mr. Brownstone

Matt - Locomotive

Dizzy - Dust n' bones

I don't really consider them gunners but I'll include the following also:

Robin - Better

Bucket -  Sorry

Tommy - Catcher in the rye 

Definitely agree on axl's singing in one in a million.  Hard to choose a top 5 for "cool axl vocals" but that track is certainly up there.

Axl - His angryness on Appetite. Nightrain outro, One in a Million, You are Crazy (Lies)

Slash - Too many. Probably Nightrain outro, SCOM, Locomotive outro. And even though not credited, he's created the most important parts to November Rain and Estranged IMO

Izzy -  Obviously his songwriting abilities, 14 Years, Dust And Bones, DTJ Motherfucker

Duff - SCOM, Rocket Queen

Steven - Nightrain, Rocket Queen, Back Off Bitch intro arrangement

Dizzy - Nothing really 

Matt - Locomotive outro, Coma outro, Raw Power outro

Robin - Better solo

Tommy - I don't know

Brain - ?

Buckethead - TWAT solo (you know which one), guitarwork on Sorry

Richard - Has he done anything?

Bumblefoot - ?

Frank - still don't know why he's there

DJ - Glad that he left

Melissa - A bunny to watch onstage. Still don't know what she does

SLASH - Locomotive.

IZZY - Rhythm track to WTTJ

DUFF - Coma bass part. Beautiful.

STEVEN - Rocket Queen.

MATT - You Could Be Mine

DIZZY - Estranged

GILBY - It's good to be alive (Snakepit)

TOMMY - Monster bass playing on CD which was then ruined in the mix.

ROBIN - Better, too.

JOSH - Writing CD

BUCKETHEAD - Everything he's ever done, TWAT solo is one of my favorites of all time

CHRIS - LEAVING THE BAND

BRAIN - His powerful drum sound and contributions to the fanbase... seems like the only one willing to actually talk about the album and how it was made.

FRANK - I like the way he plays DTJ.

BUMBLEFOOT - Absolutely hate everything he recorded with the band, despite really liking him. But I love the solo "Don't Cry" he did in '06. Wonderful tribute to the fans.

DJ - LEAVING THE BAND. Oh and DJ Asswipe water... the best tasting water.

FORTUS - Everything he's done. Perfect guy for the job. Working on "Better" to make it better. Adapting his sound to suit each lead player he played with. "Wish You Were Here" live is beautiful.

MELISSA - We haven't really had enough of a chance to say it. She does seem to have great chemistry and my favorite live GN'R moment was a "bro" moment between her and Duff.

Duff walked up to her, told her something in her ear and they both had a huge laugh. You could tell it wasn't forced chemistry. It was genuine fun.

PAUL - Turns out he's not as bad as people made him out to be. The Village sessions prove he had something to show for himself.

Probably missed a few guys... so many lineup changes.

Edited by bassplayer1993