What if 2000's line up of GN'R would be more commercial

On 17/05/2020 at 8:46 PM, GNR_RNR said:

It sucks that GNR didn't release a nu-metal album in the late 90's/early 2000's, hell CD as an album reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins as much as anything else. 

I think that was Axl's plan but for whatever reason he didn't feel comfortable discarding the old material.

Never should have booked into Arenas for the new lineup. He was always going to need the classic songs to draw in that crowd. Should have focused on a wider tour with smaller venues and played mostly new songs (Also Should have just gone under the name 'Axl' instead on 'GNR').

If i remember correctly numetal was pretty done dusted by 99. That left  any  band to start the rock movement for a new decade in 2000. Axl really missed a geuine chance to release CD in 2000 either as guns or as W.Axl Rose.Other than iron maiden reforming with Bruce and releasing "brave new world" album i n 2000, my memory is that rock music was pretty dead then until Audioslave then released their debut album in 02/03 which had a lot of praise and promotion and then VR came along with contraband in 04 which was huge. Audioslave, foo fighters started releasing new music in 2005, the crue reformed , The Darkness then are touted as the best new band,  which then got the rock music ball rolling again. Nuguns then starts touring in 06.But there was a big lull with rock music from 2000 to 2003. Most hard rock fans thought rock music was well and truly dead.

Edited by Sydney Fan

35 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

If i remember correctly numetal was pretty done dusted by 99. That left  any  band to start the rock movement for a new decade in 2000. Axl really missed a geuine chance to release CD in 2000 either as guns or as W.Axl Rose.Other than iron maiden reforming with Bruce and releasing "brave new world" album i n 2000, my memory is that rock music was pretty dead then until Audioslave then released their debut album in 02/03 which had a lot of praise and promotion and then VR came along with contraband in 04 which was huge. Audioslave, foo fighters started releasing new music in 2005, the crue reformed , The Darkness then are touted as the best new band,  which then got the rock music ball rolling again. Nuguns then starts touring in 06.But there was a big lull with rock music from 2000 to 2003. Most hard rock fans thought rock music was well and truly dead.

Kinda.

Limp Bizkit was still headlining festivals into the 2000's and there's smattering of successful rock albums from then too. 

It just depends what they released then. I love CD as an album but a Baroque rock opera is always going to be a hard sell to the public.

Imo GNR need a 'palate cleanser' album that's just a fun return to form(Like 'hardwired to self destruct').

44 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

4 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Kinda.

Limp Bizkit was still headlining festivals into the 2000's and there's smattering of successful rock albums from then too. 

It just depends what they released then. I love CD as an album but a Baroque rock opera is always going to be a hard sell to the public.

Imo GNR need a 'palate cleanser' album that's just a fun return to form(Like 'hardwired to self destruct').

if huge commercial success was the goal, I think Axl should have reunited with at least Slash after Robin first left Gn'R in 1999. They could have reworked some of the best Chinese era tunes and Slash could have probably contributed enough for them to possibly have a hit single. The timing was right just in the sense of where the music world was at the time and all the band members were still fairly young.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

if huge commercial success was the goal, I think Axl should have reunited with at least Slash after Robin first left Gn'R in 1999. They could have reworked some of the best Chinese era tunes and Slash could have probably contributed enough for them to possibly have a hit single. The timing was right just in the sense of where the music world was at the time and all the band members were still fairly young.

I think a mix of Axl's grunge/industrial and Slash's southern rock directions from that time would have produced some great work.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

YES, that would’ve definitely been the way to go. But damn it. GN’R is the biggest “what if” band of the history.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Atlas and Catcher really make me wish he'd done a full project with Brian May in 1999-2000. It likely would've been a commercial success, and we'd have gotten some great songs.... oh well.

• Like 1

A series of albums rather than just one and released much earlier would have given the nu-GnR era much more credibility, but unless the material was absolutely mind blowing it would have always been considered secondary to the classic era, for obvious reasons.

Edited by dave94

Guns dicked around with live performances in 00/01. Then toured 02 and did a HUGE VMA  “LOOK, here it is!!!” appearance, and all of it was a giant shit show. It led to nothing at all. They had the exposure, and it didn’t work out. Buckets, freaks, braids, and jerseys completely shattered the hopes of what we’re actually a few really good songs. To divert any responsibility away from WAR is well... irresponsible! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Kinda.

Well they headlined a festival here in oz in 2001 where one person died which was similar to how those young people died from Donnington 88. But apart from limp biscuit around that time frame especially in oz i cannot remember other rock  bands that were big. Korn was yesterdays band, and here in oz there seemed to be a drought of new rock bands between 2000 and 03. I still think had axl released CD as it was intended to be released in 2000 a brand new decade, i can sense 2 to 3 songs that could have gotten radio airplay and had it been under Axls own name would have been postively received dspecially if axl had his 06 look bacm then.

Edited by Sydney Fan

11 hours ago, Birdman said:

Linkin Park, which I think is considered nu-metal was huge in the early to mid 2000s.

They were but from my memory it felt like audioslave and their debut album then brought linkin park into the mainstream rock world...:shrugs:

9 hours ago, NicoGNR5 said:

YES, that would’ve definitely been the way to go. But damn it. GN’R is the biggest “what if” band of the history.

Yep and the reason why it seems there is a lot of expectation as to what new music will sound like.