Appetite for Distortion - Matt Sorum | Ep.193

5 hours ago, Ant said:

Ask Frank how his playing relationship w/ Duff has evolved.... if Slash and Duff made him reorient his approach to the classic songs. 

Also, who decides the tempo? Was that an actual concrete conversation about how fast they wanted to be?

What’s his favorite song to play?

Great questions - the tempo thing is odd. It a definitely upped since Slash/Duff came back and in most cases I think it’s not for the best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

A Frank interview will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. He might be the nicest guy in the world but nobody cares about him outside of GNR and obviously even if he knew plans he wouldn't say them. If he were to be asked about Matt saying that Duff said he didn't like playing with him (or whatever the exact quote from Matt's book was) that could be interesting but I don't think Brando is Howard Stern and to ever have him back on they have to be softball questions.

Im with you. Theres nothing about him i find interesting....his  drumming ability doesnt interest me, i dont see him in any drumming magazines, doesnt have much pedigree from previous bands, or plays with other bands he gets involved in during GNR downtime. He just comes across as a backing musician. I find frank and melissa equal and lower than richard......

When sorum came in yes he was unknown but we heard illusions and him being on the records so we could judge his ability. Then seeing him live plus those who were fans of the cult knew his name already. CD fans talk about josh freese alot from early CD sessions and im interested in hearing his discography than anything with frank.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Would love to hear Frank’s thoughts on the theory that Shadow of Your Love is re-recorded, he would know since he according to some supposedly played on the re-recording.

Please ask about this so we can lay that discussion to rest!

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Would love to hear Frank’s thoughts on the theory that Shadow of Your Love is re-recorded, he would know since he according to some supposedly played on the re-recording.

Please ask about this so we can lay that discussion to rest!

I highly doubt he's going to admit to rerecording that or playing on it. But you never know, wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

Some questions for Frank I'd be interested in:

- How was it like recently playing the deep cuts from UYI like Locomotive and Dead Horse in concert? Did the band have to practise a lot for these?

- How about new material? When can the fans expect a new song? Will you guys be testing the waters in concert first or will you just surpise everyone with a single or even a new album out of the blue?

- What's your favourite GNR song in general what's your fav GNR song to perform live?

- What's the hardest GNR song to play for you?

- You've been working with GNR in various lineups since 2006, for you as the drummer what's the biggest difference between the current lineup and the middle to late CD era of the 2010's?

- The songs are played faster in concert than before - who decided that or was it a mere neccesity because of the production (lights/videos/pyros and all)?

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Some questions for Frank I'd be interested in:

- How was it like recently playing the deep cuts from UYI like Locomotive and Dead Horse in concert? Did the band have to practise a lot for these?

- How about new material? When can the fans expect a new song? Will you guys be testing the waters in concert first or will you just surpise everyone with a single or even a new album out of the blue?

- What's your favourite GNR song in general what's your fav GNR song to perform live?

- What's the hardest GNR song to play for you?

- You've been working with GNR in various lineups since 2006, for you as the drummer what's the biggest difference between the current lineup and the middle to late CD era of the 2010's?

- The songs are played faster in concert than before - who decided that or was it a mere neccesity because of the production (lights/videos/pyros and all)?

Good questions

• Like 1

I want to express some constructive criticism regarding this Podcast.  He has had a dream list of guests over the past little while.  You just aren't asking these guys any "real" questions.  Maybe it was the wrong time to have Matt in because he probably dishes some dirt in his book.  Here are a couple of questions that would have been great to hear: 

1) When did your relationship turn  sour with Axl?

2) What was the prep for UYI in terms of learning the songs?  Were all the songs ready to go with Steven on the demos or did you contribute musically to new songs that came up during the sessions?

3) We know that you were with The Cult when you were approached about the Guns gig but what made you want to go audition for the gig?  Had you hard anything about the band that made you think twice about joining etc?

Same thing with Gilby.  You're too much of a nice guy.  I know there is a balance.  Please don't get upset with my critique.  You are representing me as a fan of the group and in the future when you get these opportunities you can get a little more in depth.

Also for Frank there is a shitload of great questions you can ask him.  How about what the deal was going into the reunion.  Steven said he was rehearsing all of Appetite.  Were you called in at the last minute etc?

Writing this with the upmost respect!

2 hours ago, Guigsdaddy said:

I want to express some constructive criticism regarding this Podcast.  He has had a dream list of guests over the past little while.  You just aren't asking these guys any "real" questions.  Maybe it was the wrong time to have Matt in because he probably dishes some dirt in his book.  Here are a couple of questions that would have been great to hear: 

2) What was the prep for UYI in terms of learning the songs?  Were all the songs ready to go with Steven on the demos or did you contribute musically to new songs that came up during the sessions?

3) We know that you were with The Cult when you were approached about the Guns gig but what made you want to go audition for the gig?  Had you hard anything about the band that made you think twice about joining etc?

Same thing with Gilby.  You're too much of a nice guy.  I know there is a balance.  Please don't get upset with my critique.  You are representing me as a fan of the group and in the future when you get these opportunities you can get a little more in depth.

Also for Frank there is a shitload of great questions you can ask him.  How about what the deal was going into the reunion.  Steven said he was rehearsing all of Appetite.  Were you called in at the last minute etc?

I think those are fair comments to make.  I actually like the approach @Gambit83takes to his interviews and here is why.  This is a labor of love for him first and foremost.  He's not getting paid for it and therefore there is no pressure for him to get 'dirt'.  He has built his reputation slowly and it's showing recently as he's gotten several current and ex-members on the podcast as well as several members of the McKagan family.  Second is that he let's them talk about/promote what they need to.  I think he sticks out in the mind of any artists or publicists who manage them because Brando gives them the floor to talk about what they want to talk about and steer the conversation.  Third, and this is what is most important imo, he is playing this for the long-term.  Maybe Matt didn't give a ton of gory stories about the band, but he'll remember that Brando was fair and gave him the floor to promote his book and Cherie Currie's new album and tell a few fun stories.  Same with Richard. Same with Dizzy.  I think these guys are all likely to be repeat guests and at some point they'll feel comfortable sharing more intimate details/stories.  

Now that I'm done talking for @Gambit83I'll let him respond if he wants to :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Not upset and I understand where you're coming from. To be honest with you, I'm not trying to build a rep by asking "hard-hitting" questions yet. I'm generalizing a bit because depending on the guest, the interview approach will vary. But overall I want just a "fun" and hopefully interesting approach. 

I will give real examples. Tommy Stinson's people really expressed to focus on Bash n Pop and Cowboys in the Campfire. My first contact to Tommy was nice enough to suggest I change my original email to write GNR lower down in the body as a topic before it was sent to Tommy. Same with The Replacements. Not that Tommy didn't want to talk about them, but he needs to promote his new stuff to earn a living. And mainly, this is important, he has been burned before by interviewers. Many have. This is all to common. Promises to promote something new (their job) with barely a discussion to only focus on the "famous" parts of that person, if that makes sense. I didn't take it personally and they have every right to be cautious. Tommy came on twice. Who knows if I would have gotten 1 with wanting to ask hard questions. I have no doubt Susan McKagan would not have come on again nor confirmed new music on her own...I didn't ask her. Listen to Gilby's interview. He's sick of the same old questions. They all are. I don't blame them. There are a lot of bad interviewers out there.

Another reason I do it this way is because I am not Howard Stern. Howard, and other big interviewers (From Rogan to Barbara Walters) are known. Guests know what they're getting into. I'm not famous nor is my social media huge. These guests probably have no idea who I am. While I majored in Broadcast Journalism in college and have had a professional career, the name "Brando" doesn't exactly come with cachet. All the articles in Blabblermouth, Loudwire, etc def helps! 

That all being said, believe me when I say I either try to make the best of the opportunity or honestly get mad at myself afterwards for not asking certain things. It's a dance. Episode by episode.

You're doing great dude! Just having them is a huge accomplishment, and your podcast does provide pretty big headlines from time to time. You can't hit a home run every time. Keep doing what you do!

• GNFNR 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, Sosso said:

I would like to ask Frank if he was aware of the two drummers for the tour concept from 2009. They wanted him to play the old dongs and Brain to play the new songs @Gambit83

Good safe question. I was trying to find a Brian Question to throw into the mix. That’s a good one.

Despite his short comings Frank is a good guy. We chatted and he bought me a beer on my bday at a Small NJ rock club. He’s been working hard on perfecting the old songs. 

you can also ask how the drum lessons are going.

his improvement was definitely noticeable last go around. Especially Locomotive. 

Don’t know if he’ll ever find the right groove on Nightrain & YCBM

Edited by Top-Hatted One

10 hours ago, WAR41 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but why do so many feel the need to ask the studio question?  Susan talked about them recording.  Slash alluded to it previously.  If we want to have any shot of Brando getting 1 of the big 3 on his show it's best for him to let the interview develop organically.  

@Gambit83do your thing like you've been doing all along.  You didn't get Richard, Matt, Dizzy and now Frank on your show by hounding them with questions that we ALL of course want to know the answer to, but that the band is clearly not comfortable discussing yet.  I know this will probably lead to snarky replies from people on here, but so be it.  Don't listen to the interview if it isn't up to your standards.  

Yea I think it’s hilarious how everyone wants the same recording questions asked and answered. Doesn’t matter who it is. Like some wanted Brandon to ask Matt about Hard School/Checkmate from 20+ years ago. It’s pointless unless you are asking Axl himself. As even Slash & duff don’t have the authority to give us an honest answer. 

Every time Brandon has anyone remotely associated with the inner workings of this current Incarnation  gnr this happens

6 hours ago, Guigsdaddy said:

That’s a question that I hope isn’t off limits. What were the initial plans. Was Steven going to be the drummer. Steven said he learned everting, even CD material. Or were both of them going to be involved. Steven plays Afd, Frank CD and they split UYI songs & covers

I like the approach. It's not like he's Eddie Trunk... and I mean that in a good way. 

No use trying to nail Frank's ass to the wall (or any of the guests) or put him in a position that he obviously can't speak to -- regardless of your opinion of him in the band.

Asking him about Steven is just kinda offside, imo. If Slash / Axl / Duff skirt the issue, why are we gonna press Frank? We shouldn't view him as a means to an end... that's why I wanna know his fav song to play and how his dynamic with Slash and Duff worked.... the tempo.... LET'S GET TO KNOW HIM! And maybe him knowing the fanbase is really clued in to the rhythm dynamics will have some impact in future shows, who knows, or the new material or whatever!

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

Hey @Gambit83 ive never watched your show but I think i will with Frank onboard, you seem to know what youre doing quite well!

Am just asking with all respect to you just please atleast find out for us if we can expect a single before the concerts restart again, its all im dying to know i check this forum every day and all i wanna know is when we can hear something at all.

Anyways thanks for putting all effort into this its greatly appreciated and any answers towards new music would be a godsend!

• Like 1

I think a better approach to ask about studio work is, if the topic about the new album comes up, to follow up with the question: "Have you been able to work on your own ideas with those guys in studio?". He may not answer, but it's a way to kinda have a more organic flow in this subject. 

Also would be cool to know if he's able to work at all during the pandemic. Because, you know, drums are the hardest instrument to record (even if he has a rehearsal studio at home).

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Brando and putting it into perspective.  Just wish these guys would get real with their fans.  This band is very far from reality most of the time.  Your best interviews are with Dougie Goldstein.  He may be a bit flakey but he's real.  Also Niven was good as well or was that with Lafon?  Can't remember.