NITL live videos on youtube

It’s frustrating to see Axl like this but I don’t think he ever half asses it on stage. He still moves about more than is good for his delivery given his age and current size. And he still sings when he doesn’t need to. What’s the point in that pitiful whimper just before the Slither solo? He doesn’t need to do anything there.

Not to forget these excerpts come from the middle of a three hour show. If anything, he’s trying too hard. He literally can’t sing some of these songs all the way through anymore but perseveres with them in the original key anyway.

Attempting Coma every night is admirable but ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Axl's still a great performer. Slash is amazing, Duff is really great. They put on a top show. Most people at the show are thrilled afterwards and the reviews are mostly positive. So the negative stuff you get here is not at all what you get at a show. People go to a show, are all excited about a great performance, only to read on here that it actually sucked.

A very astute observations here, genuinely had a giggle at that last bit :lol:.

44 minutes ago, SMG said:

No, it is in fact very much that.

ok, if you say so:shrugs:

maybe it's more likely my very own perception only, but as it goes for every live show sound itself, the video sound also has to blow me away, and this one doesn't do it, at least not entirely. But either way, i'm happy that we got a new clip.

• Like 1

I wonder who said "hey let's upload Slither, Rocket Queen, YCBM and SCOM. Axl always sounds great on those songs!"

They could not have picked worse songs than that. Maybe the first performance of Dead Horse from 2019.

RELEASE SOMETHING FROM 1986-1993 OR 2006/7, 2009/10.

2016 would be okay too.

Also I can't believe people are into this.

• Like 2

I couldn’t watch it through ... believe me or not but I just couldn’t. The band is good, crowd, camera work and sound are also pretty ok. But Axl ruins it for me. Each time he tries to sing I skipped forward until I finally had to give up. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

It's a step forward that they are upload some live stuff on YouTube. That's the point, what makes me interested

I get that. But at this point I was really hoping they'd handpick the best performances and let someome other than Helen Keller mix the sound.

To be honest, 2016 got me interested. That faded soon when they just kept touring. The leaks from Tom Zutaut's storage unit got me interested again, but they still keep touring without any new music. All we got were a few seconds of the band rehearsing Hardschool with Axl. 

Uploads like this just don't get me excited. Especially when the mixing is so poorly done.

Axl is one thing, but they all look so utterly bored during SCOM it's like they're playing it on auto-pilot......and this was 2 years ago! 

I understand it must be difficult to muster enthusiasm for playing a song so many times, but if you're just not into it to that level, it's really time to step back from touring and recharge. You HAVE to convince the audience you want to be doing it, even if you're having an off day. 

• Like 1

Axl's voice is just.... oh man, I have no words. If you close your eyes at the end of Sweet Child you totally see Mickey Mouse doing the song. It's incredible really. They really shouldn't post anything at all. Just bury every recording in existence. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carburetta said:

I’m a nutswinger, but you on the other hand are a guy who because the song isn’t being sung exactly like Scott Weiland sang it, thinks that Axl is making timing errors all song long, and is doing this in front of 100k people, several nights a week? You realise that this is an unlikely scenario don’t you? 

No, I realise that you are too blind in your nutswinging, to see that Axl fucks it up several nights a week, because he hadn’t been arsed to learn the song correctly, and you think it’s on purpose :blink::lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, it's a shitshow, but we didn't need pro-shot "selects" to find that out. Axl's sounded dreadful for years.

This band are a disgrace and it's all on Axl. 

It's kind of funny seeing the drones in the audience singing along, seemingly in their own little world, pretending it's 1992. No, it doesn't sound better in person. You've been had and you just don't want to admit it.

I would be embarrassed to be caught on camera looking like I'm enjoying this shit. It's painful and you look like a twat, a mug, having paid top dollar to witness a guy who doesn't even have the basic respect to put in the tiniest modicum of effort to sound listenable for his audience. 

I will say this. In a time when so many bands have decided to fake playing live it is refreshing to see bands like gnr go out with their limitations and be a raw rock band.

I don't agree that they are terrible, I just think they are a bit looser than my preferences allow for on some songs. I know that when you are at the show, it's fun, it's loud and you are going to smile and dance! That's the point. When you hear it back in HQ maybe it bursts your bubble about your experience  maybe it doesn't. Nothing to be embarrassed about!

30 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

No, I realise that you are too blind in your nutswinging, to see that Axl fucks it up several nights a week, because he hadn’t been arsed to learn the song correctly, and you think it’s on purpose :blink::lol:

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. That I think Axl is putting his mark to a song, as he has done many times in the past, where as you think he is making timing errors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Maybe their biggest song, but i doubt all the hardcore fans (of which seem to be a minority) arnt buying tickets to hear SCOM. I cant imagine the casuals going to further concerts to hear it. I think all casuals have saw the band in the last 4 years and that ticks GNR off, on any bucket list. Which brings us back to the hardcore fans. I would be happy to sacrifice SCOM for any illusion deep cuts.

I'm specifically talking about the  casuals and the people seeing them.for the first time. 

Imagine your first gnr concert before you entered the matrix and they didn't play SCOM.  You would have  been pissed.

Hardcores would swap out most of the hits for deep, deep cuts we all know that... but it's not a set that the majority would be familiar with.

29 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Why aren't you a nutswinger? If you're not swinging your nuts at Ax and the boys then your opinion doesn't count.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

I hear you, I paid $250 for GA in 2016 and I would never do it again with the way he sounds. I agree with that assessment of how SCOM sounds. It's just that I haven't heard him sing it any better in 4 years. I don't think he can do any better.

I have heard better versions even in 2019 and 2020. I at least recognize his voice listening to it... but it's still far from a great performance. The band is almost as guilty as Axl. It's hard to sing over a flat piece of cardboard.

• Like 1

Yeah SCOM just hasn’t worked live since UYI. Hell, even then, Axl didn’t sing it right anymore. The studio version is VERY powerful with the way he holds the “whoaaaa oh whoa sweet child o mine,” like he’s singing it all with just one breath. During the shows from the AFD time period he was still doing that, but by the time they got to the UYI tour the chorus had become “whoa... oh whoa, sweet child o mine,” and it sounds pretty boring, and has stayed that way since. The “clean” voice doesn’t help. They should tune down, at least for that one song and maybe a few others. 

Despite that, however, yesterday’s stream was still a lot of fun for me (“yeah boiiii”), and the other songs all sounded good, imo. Looking forward to more.

Edited by rocknroll41

10 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Well, its hard to compare singers cause its all a matter of taste.

FOR ME, the best live Axl anihilates the best Freddy, the best Tyler, the best Steve Perry, etc.

But they are all great. I’ve been enjoying a lot of Matt Bellamy’s live performances, the guy is a beast.

Of course we all have our preferences. And like I said as a studio voice he is my favourite and IF he sounded his best or just very good most nights then I'd say he was also one of my favourite live singers too.

He has 100% had moments where he was jaw dropping, but for me he is also one of the most inconsistent singers that I can think of when it comes to live. Now... his pitch is very good, and he usually sings the melody just like you remember it... but his tone is the problem, sometimes it's just like a haunting ghost voice, when it should be a powerhouse. 

10 hours ago, Kosonen said:

Why songs where Axl sounds like shit for sure? TB hates Axl! 

Ha! It's the 5g man!

I think Slither is great but the rest of it makes me sad.  
At this point, I’d like to see Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff tour without Axl.  Call it whatever you want, but it would be more entertaining than this.

Seriously sad now...I never asked for this version of the band.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, KURT19 said:

I think Slither is great but the rest of it makes me sad.  
At this point, I’d like to see Slash, Izzy, Steven and Duff tour without Axl.  Call it whatever you want, but it would be more entertaining than this.

Seriously sad now...I never asked for this version of the band.

I don't think they need to ditch Axl necessarily, but i do think they should change the content up dramatically. Can't sing SCOM? Slow the tempo down a lot, rearrange it and sing it with deeper vocals. Hell, they could even do an Appetite re-release with all the songs changed up, then Axl could sing them comfortably.

• Like 1

Like others have said - in terms of mix, video quality, and camera work I found this to be a vast improvement over the first set.

Slither - solid overall. I see what Axl is going for in the chorus but I've never cared for it. Great to have a pro-shot of this because it's fine otherwise. Slash nails it and the band is tight.

Rocket Queen - poor Frank. He seems very locked in with Duff during the break but the drum mix does him no favours. Where are the hi-hats and ride? Frank is great with ghost notes but none of those come across at all. Still, I enjoyed this one overall. The jams were pretty solid. One of the tighter versions I've seen from the tour. Then there's Axl. At first Axl sounds no better or worse than your average, say, 2012 performance, but the end sounds painful. Painful for Axl to deliver, that is.

You Could Be Mine - has anybody from the band seen Houston 2016? Even for 2018 standards this wasn't a great selection. Axl really struggles to keep up near the end, and overall the band feels kind of lifeless on this one. Probably the only song from this that I genuinely didn't enjoy.

Attitude - this was great. I like the slightly extended arrangement they've given it on this tour.

Sweet Child - Axl aside (not much more to say), this might be one of the worst performances of this song I've ever seen/heard, but I enjoyed it. It's a song they typically play just fine (musically) on any given night so the fact that they released a borderline trainwreck on their official channel is kind of funny. Slash definitely has a couple of "oh shit" moments. :lol: