NITL live videos on youtube

25 minutes ago, Dean said:

100%

There are obviously good options to choose from beyond 2017, they should have shown more TLC in regards to what they show to display to the masses of casual fans that attend these shows. Anything from the first 5 songs would be the safest bet for that, Axl normally hits that home every show. Even when it came to promoting the Appetite for Democracy release, why they went for Sweet Child O' Mine and You Could Be Mine to upload for advertisement purposes is beyond me as a lot of the comments on those videos weren't exactly favorable. I'll be interested to see if Fernando makes an appearance on Reddit again before the year is out - if they weren't going to release an album during the pandemic, then a live release would have made perfect sense which is what made me think his words carried some weight when there was a release coming out "later this year".  Tomorrow takes us into December and as the days pass, this becomes increasingly unlikely. 

Later this year is the new soon. The fact a live releases makes sense is one of the reasons it won’t happen anytime soon. If Fernando does make an appearance it’ll most likely be to blame us the fans. 

2 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Later this year is the new soon. The fact a live releases makes sense is one of the reasons it won’t happen anytime soon. If Fernando does make an appearance it’ll most likely be to blame us the fans. 

Only five Tuesdays remain of 2020. Maybe on one of those is when he will open a card of unadulterated venom upon the community via Reddit, hopefully in time for Christmas?

43 minutes ago, Dean said:

100%

There are obviously good options to choose from beyond 2017, they should have shown more TLC in regards to what they show to display to the masses of casual fans that attend these shows. Anything from the first 5 songs would be the safest bet for that, Axl normally hits that home every show. Even when it came to promoting the Appetite for Democracy release, why they went for Sweet Child O' Mine and You Could Be Mine to upload for advertisement purposes is beyond me as a lot of the comments on those videos weren't exactly favorable. I'll be interested to see if Fernando makes an appearance on Reddit again before the year is out - if they weren't going to release an album during the pandemic, then a live release would have made perfect sense which is what made me think his words carried some weight when there was a release coming out "later this year".  Tomorrow takes us into December and as the days pass, this becomes increasingly unlikely. 

Agreed. The more these statements fail to produce results the more ire is directed at himself. New music within 6 months, live release etc - when these don’t materialise then that is when things get strained. Either don’t say anything unless it’s absolutely certain or if things go sideways - be upfront and tell folk.....stops the endless wondering/bickering etc.

Regarding Sorry - the NY Apollo one is excellent actually....probably one of the highlights of that gig for me.

21 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Agreed. The more these statements fail to produce results the more ire is directed at himself. New music within 6 months, live release etc - when these don’t materialise then that is when things get strained. Either don’t say anything unless it’s absolutely certain or if things go sideways - be upfront and tell folk.....stops the endless wondering/bickering etc.

Regarding Sorry - the NY Apollo one is excellent actually....probably one of the highlights of that gig for me.

I must admit, I appreciated the tidbits of info at the time, as who else is there to give us anything like that unless there is an actual release imminent? Things seem to change often in the world of GNR and get dragged out over a number of years, but it was refreshing to hear the possibility of finally getting a long overdue record. Obviously it isn't so good when it doesn't come to fruition, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it was said in good faith but as you say, a little message to say things have went down the pan and we're back to square 1 would also have been reluctantly welcomed!

The build up to the intro sounds so fucking good, along with Slash's guitar fill at the end of it too. Great song and should be a staple live!

Edited by Dean

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm still not too sure what your point is then......we know that a handful of GNR songs have slipped into the 80s kareoke bar nostalgia scene, for better or worse. That isn't really a revelation for anyone. 

If we think anyone outside of an increasingly small (dwindling by the day) hardcore of fans really care about a new GNR album we're deluding ourselves. Literally no-one I know that loves music could care a damn what GNR do. The forums are the only place that does now. 

The real world probably lost interest about 1993, when the music world moved on to other acts. A few of them stuck their heads round the door to play nostalgia and hear the old songs on the NITL tour. They've largely moved on now.

If we think a new GNR album is going to change music in any way, shape or form, we're in cloud cuckoo land. That's irrelevant though- we'd probably enjoy it. But let's not kid ourselves here about it's importance.

If the damn thing exists, just get it out there. 

A major reason why people stopped caring about a new GNR record is, because GNR kinda became a joke when Slash left the band. 

But when Slash and Axl reunited even many casuals wanted to witness that, because GNR is a legendary band.

But most people lump it in the same category with other old bands. Very few people are expecting them to release new material ever again. Most people have never even heard Chinese Democracy. 

That's why it's super important to create as much hype as possible when they release their next record. Not release it at the worst possible time. That has kinda been my point. When casuals hear the new GNR single  I guarantee you, there will still be people who are surprised to hear that Slash is back in the band. It's no secret that the mainstream media is bad at informing people about rock music. So people are more likely to hear about these things through friends. But people don't really meet their friends during quarantine. So the best time to make the release of the comeback album as big as it possibly can be is to release it after the pandemic is over. There should be a tour, press and promotion, a song in a movie and all that shit. That would be the best way to create hype and make as many casuals hear about the album as possible. At the same time the comeback album would also boost ticket sales, so I think it's very much understandable why they're not releasing the album during a pandemic.

Why did I talk about the streaming numbers then? Because people are downplaying the relevance of GNR. Streaming numbers don't tell you everything about what peoole are listening to obviously, because older people listen to albums mostly. But it tells you a lot about what kind of older music still resonate with younger audiences. People here are comparing GNR to Whitesnake for crying out loud. Most young people have never even heard of Whitesnake. Gnr wipes the floor with Whitesnake when it comes to streaming numbers. The fact that GNR is pretty much equal to The Rolling Stones when it comes to streaming numbers is a pretty big deal. It doesn't mean that GnR is as big as The Rolling Stones, but in the eyes of the younger audiences they are pretty close. The fact that GNR has songs in the top 500 most streamed songs is huge. Very few older bands are as streamed. Young people who like rock music most likely listen to Guns n' Roses. Not even the album Chinese Democracy is completely irrelevant. It's a more popular album than Black Sabbaths 13 or Mötley Crues Saints of Los Angeles at least with the younger audiences.

I've been arguing with people over if it's possible for GNR to still affect their legacy. Will they forever be remembered only because of AFD and UYI albums or can they still release a legendary album and songs that will be remembered as some of their best songs ever. Is the next GNR album doomed to be forgotten or is it possible that future generations will consider it one of the legendary GNR albums? I've been arguing about this and that's why I mentioned that when you look at the streaming numbers, it seems like in the eyes of the younger generations This I Love is already more popular than deep cuts like Coma, Locomotive and Double Talkin Jive and it's already almost as popular as Yesterdays. So is it really a far fetched idea that now when Slash is back in the band, they could create songs that future generations will consider some of their best songs? I think it's entirely possible. I'm not making predictions, but I think it's possible. That seems to be a controverial statement since I've had to defend that point of view here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dean said:

I must admit, I appreciated the tidbits of info at the time, as who else is there to give us anything like that unless there is an actual release imminent? Things seem to change often in the world of GNR and get dragged out over a number of years, but it was refreshing to hear the possibility of finally getting a long overdue record. Obviously it isn't so good when it doesn't come to fruition, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it was said in good faith but as you say, a little message to say things have went down the pan and we're back to square 1 would also have been reluctantly welcomed!

The build up to the intro sounds so fucking good, along with Slash's guitar fill at the end of it too. Great song and should be a staple live!

Yeah - like you I appreciate the bits of news but an ‘update’ would help for when these things go off course!

Sorry is a good tune no doubt - I wonder if it gets only occasional airings as it’s not seen as a regular ‘concert’ tune due to tempo/style? It’s certainly one which the whole band sounds good on as evidenced at the NY gig.

I don't really expect them to release a record now; I would much appreciate it though if they released a goddamn EP with one or two new songs (one brand new, one maybe a polished CD thing), one cover, one live song, a video in a digital version, and finally a proper DVD. The album itself could then wait for another year for all I care. 
But instead of that - radio silence... 

44 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I don't really expect them to release a record now; I would much appreciate it though if they released a goddamn EP with one or two new songs (one brand new, one maybe a polished CD thing), one cover, one live song, a video in a digital version, and finally a proper DVD. The album itself could then wait for another year for all I care. 
But instead of that - radio silence... 

I’d be cool with a few EPs too - that would make the wait more palatable!

• Like 1

On 22 July 2020, there was no (public at least) indications that Taylor Swift had a new album coming out.  On 23 July it was announced and it was available a day later.  The Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions (Disney+ special) had a similar announcement to release timeframe.

Anything is possible.  Be like Taylor Swift :headbang:

• GNFNR 2

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Sorry is a good tune no doubt - I wonder if it gets only occasional airings as it’s not seen as a regular ‘concert’ tune due to tempo/style? It’s certainly one which the whole band sounds good on as evidenced at the NY gig.

I mind Axl saying he “feels” the audience to see where they’re at and what to hit them with next. Glasgow 2012 started with Chinese, Jungle, Easy and Brownstone - standard for that era. He must’ve thought we were manic depressives as we got Sorry after that balls to the wall opening 😂😂😂

31 minutes ago, Dean said:

I mind Axl saying he “feels” the audience to see where they’re at and what to hit them with next. Glasgow 2012 started with Chinese, Jungle, Easy and Brownstone - standard for that era. He must’ve thought we were manic depressives as we got Sorry after that balls to the wall opening 😂😂😂

Ha ha ha - quality.

I missed Glasgow 2012....literally have no idea why I never went. My mate, before I knew him, told me he went - didn’t have great expectations (he saw them on UYI tour a couple of times) but really enjoyed the show apparently. Which is quite something as 2012 isn’t classed as a good year.....!

14 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Ha ha ha - quality.

I missed Glasgow 2012....literally have no idea why I never went. My mate, before I knew him, told me he went - didn’t have great expectations (he saw them on UYI tour a couple of times) but really enjoyed the show apparently. Which is quite something as 2012 isn’t classed as a good year.....!

Only the second time they played Scotland/Glasgow too, the first was 2006 and that is regarded one of the best of that tour!

Axl was on form that night and the band were tight as they blasted their way through a 3 hour set, a snip at £50 - mental in comparison to now!! 2012 had a few good moments, I'd say Philadelphia from the Up Close and Personal leg is up there as one of Axl's greatest ever vocal performances, but 2011-14 left a lot to be desired in comparison to the tours previous. It's a shame that the footage from the big screens have always been widely available and that they didn't take it upon themselves to upload them over the years to showcase various incarnations of the band. Granted social media wasn't what it is now back in '06, but they should have kept it up after dabbling with the idea by uploading Estranged from Argentina in 2011 as a secret listing. Could have, should have, would have etc etc

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Only the second time they played Scotland/Glasgow too, the first was 2006 and that is regarded one of the best of that tour!

Axl was on form that night and the band were tight as they blasted their way through a 3 hour set, a snip at £50 - mental in comparison to now!! 2012 had a few good moments, I'd say Philadelphia from the Up Close and Personal leg is up there as one of Axl's greatest ever vocal performances, but 2011-14 left a lot to be desired in comparison to the tours previous. It's a shame that the footage from the big screens have always been widely available and that they didn't take it upon themselves to upload them over the years to showcase various incarnations of the band. Granted social media wasn't what it is now back in '06, but they should have kept it up after dabbling with the idea by uploading Estranged from Argentina in 2011 as a secret listing. Could have, should have, would have etc etc

Would make a good album title....very apt 😂

• Haha 1

I may be one of Axls biggest fans out there, but let's be honest guys, any material from 2017-2020 will sound more or less the same. There wont be any good Estranged, SCOM, NR, etc performances. One can be a bit better than another but that's it.

If we got more 90's footage no one would ever play "Play" on this videos again

Their immediate worry, if they're planning on just touring the same old songs for the rest of their lives, is picking up their game on the live front. 

They need an absolute rocket up them if the Wichita footage is anything to go by, as they look bored, going through the motions and like they'd rather be elsewhere. 

That's simply not acceptable if your plan is to continue a never-ending tour. 

• Like 1

I listened to it again (for the torture, I suppose) and I have to give credit to Frank on Estranged. His changes fit the song, and his accents are top notch. It's a shame they compress his snare so much in the live mix. I think that's what makes his sound so off half the time.

Conversely, Fortus' twangy licks that he adds throughout the song make me die a little inside. Worse than his tremolo use!

On 11/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, Towelie said:

How many bad videos are we gonna watch before we admit to ourselves that this is just what the band sounds like now?

If Axl sounds horrible, the whole band sounds horrible. 

I admitted it a long time ago..  For the most part the only enjoyment I get out of this band at the moment is from watching Slash and to a much lesser extent Duff's bass playing..  Axl only sounds good on about the 3 songs out of the entire set..  There were a few more back in 2016 but those are out the window now.  Frank and Fortus definaetly don't enhance anything.. Quite the opposite to my ears..  I don't k now how t band can watch this stuff and not cringe...sic

It baffles me how anyone could be excited about new mu from this lineup...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I admitted it a long time ago..  For the most part the only enjoyment I get out of this band at the moment is from watching Slash and to a much lesser extent Duff's bass playing..  Axl only sounds good on about the 3 songs out of the entire set..  There were a few more back in 2016 but those are out the window now.  Frank and Fortus definaetly don't enhance anything.. Quite the opposite to my ears..  I don't k now how t band can watch this stuff and not cringe...sic

It baffles me how anyone could be excited about new mu from this lineup...

I'd get excited if this lineup actually released completely new music, since Axl would hopefully sing in a way that sounds good with what little voice he has left and the other members might actually play with some enthusiasm

18 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm still not too sure what your point is then......we know that a handful of GNR songs have slipped into the 80s kareoke bar nostalgia scene, for better or worse. That isn't really a revelation for anyone. 

If we think anyone outside of an increasingly small (dwindling by the day) hardcore of fans really care about a new GNR album we're deluding ourselves. Literally no-one I know that loves music could care a damn what GNR do. The forums are the only place that does now. 

The real world probably lost interest about 1993, when the music world moved on to other acts. A few of them stuck their heads round the door to play nostalgia and hear the old songs on the NITL tour. They've largely moved on now.

If we think a new GNR album is going to change music in any way, shape or form, we're in cloud cuckoo land. That's irrelevant though- we'd probably enjoy it. But let's not kid ourselves here about it's importance.

If the damn thing exists, just get it out there. 

Gosh I think you are so wrong, there are many of us just tuning into Guns music, loving it and want more..   It is crazy but after all this time they are still relevant and to a younger generation.  Just my experience.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Gosh I think you are so wrong, there are many of us just tuning into Guns music, loving it and want more..   It is crazy but after all this time they are still relevant and to a younger generation.  Just my experience.

Well, the gigs are hardly packing in the youths these days!

The younger generation would be truly horrified if they even scratched the surface of some of the lyrics/behaviour/attitudes. 

The word 'problematic' would be the tip of the iceberg to a woke generation looking to 'cancel' artists who even express a mildly controversial opinion!. Good grief if they read some of the things GNR used to do and say, let alone hear some of the lyrics! 

Sorry, I think GNR are an oldies act now I'm afraid. Time has moved on. 

There will always be a few young people who idolise the past and like the idea of creating their own version of it in the present though. You see it in some of these bizaare 'cuddly Axl' homemade artwork things and how some elements like to present an image of him being a super-cute, puppy lovin' nice old father type. People love to fetishize the past and make it into something they find palatable. They invent their own truth, as you can only do with the past. 

But GNR as a young people's band is a real reach, by any stretch of the imagination!