NITL live videos on youtube

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I admitted it a long time ago..  For the most part the only enjoyment I get out of this band at the moment is from watching Slash and to a much lesser extent Duff's bass playing..  Axl only sounds good on about the 3 songs out of the entire set..  There were a few more back in 2016 but those are out the window now.  Frank and Fortus definaetly don't enhance anything.. Quite the opposite to my ears..  I don't k now how t band can watch this stuff and not cringe...sic

It baffles me how anyone could be excited about new mu from this lineup...

I think new music from this lineup could potentially be great.  The part I am skeptical about isn't necessarily the potential of it being great, but it is if there are going to be proper steps taken to make it great - because I don't know if "Slash recording guitar parts to a rhythm track from 2002 and a vocal track from 2006" will have a sonic cohesion that would work well

Edited by WhazUp

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I admitted it a long time ago..  For the most part the only enjoyment I get out of this band at the moment is from watching Slash and to a much lesser extent Duff's bass playing..  Axl only sounds good on about the 3 songs out of the entire set..  There were a few more back in 2016 but those are out the window now.  Frank and Fortus definaetly don't enhance anything.. Quite the opposite to my ears..  I don't k now how t band can watch this stuff and not cringe...sic

To be honest mate I’d be excited for anything with ‘the big 3’ involved. 😂

Of course, we don’t yet know what the configuration will be (all new, all CD-era or the most likely mix of the two) which adds a curveball.

Fortus is a well renowned session player (not so much a writer as far as I can see) and Melissa is clearly a talented musician and can really sing. I don’t think they are the worst people to have at your disposal for bringing ideas to life.

I realise this may not be a popular opinion right enough. 😂

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I listened to it again (for the torture, I suppose) and I have to give credit to Frank on Estranged. His changes fit the song, and his accents are top notch. It's a shame they compress his snare so much in the live mix. I think that's what makes his sound so off half the time.

Conversely, Fortus' twangy licks that he adds throughout the song make me die a little inside. Worse than his tremolo use!

I've been a fan of Frank's drumming on Estranged since day 1 when it returned at Rock In Rio 2011. He fits the song great, it's one of the songs where he's a real standout IMO. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Let's say this...I have 4 sons 2 in their mid twenties and 2 in their teens......3 of them are HARD CORE Guns fans and have attending shows with be during NITL.  My 16 yo is probably more passionate about this band than I am. 

To say young people don't enjoy, isn't necessarily correct.   It's more that the music industry is keen on putting out crap music.   The labels push their artists onto the public to make money. 

It isn't necessarily that all young people enjoy what's out there.... many I know prefer the likes of GnR, Metallica,  Nirvana,  Pearl Jam, Soundgarden,  e.t.c.   Bands that I don't even really listen to much more.   But they do. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Well, the gigs are hardly packing in the youths these days!

The younger generation would be truly horrified if they even scratched the surface of some of the lyrics/behaviour/attitudes. 

The word 'problematic' would be the tip of the iceberg to a woke generation looking to 'cancel' artists who even express a mildly controversial opinion!. Good grief if they read some of the things GNR used to do and say, let alone hear some of the lyrics! 

Sorry, I think GNR are an oldies act now I'm afraid. Time has moved on. 

There will always be a few young people who idolise the past and like the idea of creating their own version of it in the present though. You see it in some of these bizaare 'cuddly Axl' homemade artwork things and how some elements like to present an image of him being a super-cute, puppy lovin' nice old father type. People love to fetishize the past and make it into something they find palatable. They invent their own truth, as you can only do with the past. 

But GNR as a young people's band is a real reach, by any stretch of the imagination! 

Gnr are very big in Australia.

The 2017 Sydney show i saw, had people in various age groups. The one thing with GNR like the stones is that the age of fans is across the generational divide.

So for the Sydney 2017 show night one the age differemce was young people 14/15 all the way to people in their 50s. Make no mistake the reason i feel for the shows being a sellout when they toured here was because of Slash.

Where i was in the crowd was a bunch of 16 year olds who knew every lyric of the songs that were played. I was surprised. People in their late teens the same as well. 

This is the same with maiden and black sabbath who have toured here in the past.Its difficult to fathom.

There were some young people in the crowd that only knew the standard hits, but also from the CD songs as well. So i guess there was a mixture.

Its interesting that this same age group i also see whenever SMKC tour as well. Ive always been interested in asking those in their say mid teens how they got into GNR and to a certain extent,  SMKC.Especially if they are attendees that i could tell they knew more than the standard hits.

Guns here just have a huge following across the different age groups.

I personally think certain young people are interested in the classic bands, and can separate whats good and whats shit. I think GNR will always, especially here, their interest among the age of people will never wane :shrugs:

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Towelie said:

I've stopped watching them. I think I saw the first three selects and figured, if this is the standard they deem good enough to officially put out there, then what in the holy fuck would they deem as a bad show?

It's funny how fans always portray Axl as a perfectionist with impossibly high standards when it comes to releasing new music, but put him up on a stage in front of thousands of people and he has absolutely no qualms in delivering uninspired, weak and subpar live shows night after night.

100%

On 11/27/2020 at 8:24 AM, jamillos said:

Ok, I’ve gone through the whole thing (well, more or less), so here’s my two very brief cents:
1) Wichita L. is nice, although I’ve never paid too much attention to it. Will give it another listen, whether from this show or a different one. 
2) Nightrain is the only one out of the 3 Guns songs that is watchable. However, Axl’s voice at this point (2019) was completely shot, and I would even think that the singing must hurt him at times. It surely sounds like it. Also, interesting and funny how he uses that fake rasp in verses (basically same as in the CD chorus, where it actually belongs). 
3) I don’t believe for a single second that the musicians themselves have seen this footage... and said yes, this is it, this is what we want you to publish to represent us. Not only because of Axl, but also the sound. It actually reminds me of when I was around 17 and had a band – we asked the soundmen to record our gig through the mixing console on a cassette. Sound-wise, it wasn’t too far from this. 
In general, every day I have a feeling that I understand it less and less. Look, I am grateful that at least something is “happening”, but this screams of pure incompetence… 

Yeah I can't imagine that Duff and Slash would sign off on this. Like at least get it remixed before posting it.

Also if this is just the straight board mix, then it shows that Caram isn't actually that good of a live engineer (which I've been saying for a few years now). The show I went to in 2016 was not what I would describe as well mixed and other people have said the same about the other shows.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, foreverguns said:

And I'm not hitting on you but we can chat in private any time you want, so pm me if you feel so

He's lying, he's definitely hitting on you :lol:

On 11/27/2020 at 10:43 AM, Lies They Tell said:

I have no idea where this thought came from that it would be all about money for these guys. Because they sell mercandise? Who cares!

Because there's no new music? I think it's pretty obvious that  there won't be new music before they can actually promote the music with a tour. It's their comeback album for crying out loud. It's ridiculous to expect them to release it during a pandemic. We know that they were rehearsing Hard School before the pandemic, so that's a good sign that new music will see the light of day some day.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, James Bond said:

AC/DC put out a comeback album that went straight to number one. But you're right, this would be a ridiculous time to release new music.

They could at leat put out a single or 2 or an EP, then do the full record when the tour is going to happen.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, F*ck Fear said:

I haven't bothered with it yet. Don't know that I will to be honest.

Not one performance of Nightrain from 2017-2019 is going to be better than the Coachella soundboard we already have.

Yes, the Coachella one is full of energy and fire.

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Out of likes but I agree. Not sure I want to hear Frank's drumming on a new record.

• Like 1

As for Estranged, I may be wrong and definitely need to give some 2016 versions a listen again, but I don’t think there’s rasp there anyway. It’s that middle level, where he just doesn’t do it any more. In fact, the last time it was truly good was 1993, because later they didn’t play it when he could have nailed it – i.e. 2006 or 2010, and only started in 2011, when it was too late (same for the DVD – weren’t there some talks about a 2010 South America DVD? That could have been grand. Instead of that, we got a 2012 show which we’d already had from the London pro-shot and Axl was already mickeying the crap out of stuff). No really good Estranged out there in this sense, as far as I remember. 

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Gnr are very big in Australia.

The 2017 Sydney show i saw, had people in various age groups. The one thing with GNR like the stones is that the age of fans is across the generational divide.

So for the Sydney 2017 show night one the age differemce was young people 14/15 all the way to people in their 50s. Make no mistake the reason i feel for the shows being a sellout when they toured here was because of Slash.

Where i was in the crowd was a bunch of 16 year olds who knew every lyric of the songs that were played. I was surprised. People in their late teens the same as well. 

This is the same with maiden and black sabbath who have toured here in the past.Its difficult to fathom.

There were some young people in the crowd that only knew the standard hits, but also from the CD songs as well. So i guess there was a mixture.

Its interesting that this same age group i also see whenever SMKC tour as well. Ive always been interested in asking those in their say mid teens how they got into GNR and to a certain extent,  SMKC.Especially if they are attendees that i could tell they knew more than the standard hits.

Guns here just have a huge following across the different age groups.

I personally think certain young people are interested in the classic bands, and can separate whats good and whats shit. I think GNR will always, especially here, their interest among the age of people will never wane :shrugs:

Taking my general impression here of Australia, formed only by visits so very far from authorative of course, the country doesn't get as many visits from bands compared to Europe, and sort of makes the most of what it does get. 

Another impression I have (and I would stress here I really don't want to cause offence) is that Australia has quite a 'retro' attitude to entertainment products. A lot of British comedy acts, long past being of interest/selling anything in Britain, end up touring a lot in Australia for instance I've noticed. I get the impression thing are a bit different over there. I noticed UK bands playing on my visits there that were filling venues of sizes they haven't played in the UK for years. 

I would imagine these things feed in a bit? I'm not saying there weren't some younger people at GNR gigs over here, but they were noticeable by being a big exception. 

Edited by allwaystired

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

As for Estranged, I may be wrong and definitely need to give some 2016 versions a listen again, but I don’t think there’s rasp there anyway. It’s that middle level, where he just doesn’t do it any more. In fact, the last time it was truly good was 1993, because later they didn’t play it when he could have nailed it – i.e. 2006 or 2010, and only started in 2011, when it was too late (same for the DVD – weren’t there some talks about a 2010 South America DVD? That could have been grand. Instead of that, we got a 2012 show which we’d already had from the London pro-shot and Axl was already mickeying the crap out of stuff). No really good Estranged out there in this sense, as far as I remember. 

My top 3, post-90s Estranged performances, in no particular order, are:

Rock in Rio 2011 (Great version, people overlook at it because the show was absolute shit, but Estranged was the debut that night and it's, to this day, one of their best versions).
Chile 2011 (Axl's raspiest version by far)
Mexico City 2nd night 2016/04/20 (Best NITL version)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

My top 3, post-90s Estranged performances, in no particular order, are:

Rock in Rio 2011 (Great version, people overlook at it because the show was absolute shit, but Estranged was the debut that night and it's, to this day, one of their best versions).
Chile 2011 (Axl's raspiest version by far)
Mexico City 2nd night 2016/04/20 (Best NITL version)

I'll check them out. I haven't watched anything from 2011 in years. 

16 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Taking my general impression here of Australia, formed only by visits so very far from authorative of course, the country doesn't get as many visits from bands compared to Europe, and sort of makes the most of what it does get. 

Another impression I have (and I would stress here I really don't want to cause offence) is that Australia has quite a 'retro' attitude to entertainment products. A lot of British comedy acts, long past being of interest/selling anything in Britain, end up touring a lot in Australia for instance I've noticed. I get the impression thing are a bit different over there. I noticed UK bands playing on my visits there that were filling venues of sizes they haven't played in the UK for years. 

I would imagine these things feed in a bit? I'm not saying there weren't some younger people at GNR gigs over here, but they were noticeable by being a big exception. 

Your probably not wrong on a few things said.

Australia falls into trends. For an example what is big in NA usually makes its way to Australia. Whether its artists or whatever.

The UK not so much. Yes, alot of the comedy movies from the UK where hits in Aus due to the fact that the UK and Australia share the same sort of dry sense of humour. Thats why i can laugh at Ricky Gervasis comments at the Golden Globes or whatever the acting awards was earlier in the year where americans in the audience couldnt "get" what he was saying, i certainly could! :lol:

American comedy i find to tryhard to be funny.

Getting back on topic, we had alot of UK bands such as Def Leppard who didnt tour here until the GFC. They sold out playing here that they were back here 6 months later!.

We do usually get the odd washedup UK bands, and even UK stars appearing in certain reality shows. Yes we dont get alot of bands touring here, as distance and AUD conversion was never an enticing reason to visit. But i think thats starting to change.

• Like 1

But I dont think any of the above are reasons as to why GnR are popular, what about SA, UK, Russia, Asia and much of Europe, is it there culture, distance too?  I find it rather condecending to site a countries culture as to why they like something more than US and UK folk.   GnR are popular wherever just because they are popular.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Australia falls into trends. For an example what is big in NA usually makes its way to Australia. Whether its artists or whatever.

The UK not so much. Yes, alot of the comedy movies from the UK where hits in Aus due to the fact that the UK and Australia share the same sort of dry sense of humour. Thats why i can laugh at Ricky Gervasis comments at the Golden Globes or whatever the acting awards was earlier in the year where americans in the audience couldnt "get" what he was saying, i certainly could! :lol:

Getting back on topic, we had alot of UK bands such as Def Leppard who didnt tour here until the GFC. They sold out playing here that they were back here 6 months later!.

We do usually get the odd washedup UK bands, and even UK stars appearing in certain reality shows. Yes we dont get alot of bands touring here, as distance and AUD conversion was never an enticing reason to visit. But i think thats starting to change.

I wouldn’t take the audience there as a sample for measuring how funny he was – don’t forget that it was the very same people in the audience who were the target of his jokes, individually and in general. Oh, they got it; they just didn’t like it too much, I guess. They kinda had to sit through it, shifting uncomfortably. 
As for the comedy – it vastly depends on the guy who tells the jokes. Take Bill Burr, for example. I think he’s one of the best contemporary stand-up comedians there are (also, he – as well as Carlin and others – understands that old finding which says that if you wanna tell people the truth, you have to do it through jokes, otherwise they’ll kill you). However, British stand-up is the best, no contest. 
Ending my off-topic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Interesting. What do you reckon is changing it? 

48 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

But I dont think any of the above are reasons as to why GnR are popular, what about SA, UK, Russia, Asia and much of Europe, is it there culture, distance too?  I find it rather condecending to site a countries culture as to why they like something more than US and UK folk.   GnR are popular wherever just because they are popular.

Oh culture and the country has a massive impact on why something is popular. Always has done. Hendrix is perhaps the most obvious example- the UK took to him in the way the US never did. There are acts that are way bigger in some countries than others. A lot never even make it outside of their own countries......but are megastars in their home.

It's not condescending, just a simple fact. Has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of music. There is some absolutely excellent music coming out of Africa at the moment, sounds that are way, way out there in terms of experimentalism and creativity and have followings there and are pretty popular, because of the culture and where the people are at. Here in the UK those sorts of sounds wouldn't have an audience.

There are Spanish, Argentinian megastars who are household names in those countries and absolutely obscure elsewhere. There are bands that tour large venues in Europe regularly that return home to America and are playing small venues.....it all depends on so many factors, and a countries culture, mindset, political status, history etc are all definitely a major part of what music the people there gravitate towards. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, Axl is pretty god awful. I think the band isn't that bad though. Slash has a good time and I like Fortus on Estranged

I just watched the Rio 2017 performance and Richard really seemed to enjoy himself. But I feel that the band doesn't have as much emotion in the performance these days. Unless I've just been watching/listening to bad shows. I know Rio isn't the best

14 hours ago, ssiscool said:

I just watched the Rio 2017 performance and Richard really seemed to enjoy himself. But I feel that the band doesn't have as much emotion in the performance these days. Unless I've just been watching/listening to bad shows. I know Rio isn't the best

It’s pretty awful unfortunately. As someone said on here - it’s a travesty that the one main proshot of the tour is this one. Just a bad gig. Typical. 😂

Now....if Dodger 2016 was out there......the clips of Summer 2016 show the band on fire. THATS what we want to see.

15 hours ago, ssiscool said:

The audio mix in that proshot is brutal, though earlier this year another source of it got out that is vastly superior. It’s not that bad to my ears. I’d probably listen to that ahead of the Apollo show.

15 hours ago, ssiscool said:

Lol I meant he has a good tone

On 12/2/2020 at 4:29 AM, allwaystired said:

Oh culture and the country has a massive impact on why something is popular. Always has done. Hendrix is perhaps the most obvious example- the UK took to him in the way the US never did. There are acts that are way bigger in some countries than others. A lot never even make it outside of their own countries......but are megastars in their home.

It's not condescending, just a simple fact. Has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of music. There is some absolutely excellent music coming out of Africa at the moment, sounds that are way, way out there in terms of experimentalism and creativity and have followings there and are pretty popular, because of the culture and where the people are at. Here in the UK those sorts of sounds wouldn't have an audience.

There are Spanish, Argentinian megastars who are household names in those countries and absolutely obscure elsewhere. There are bands that tour large venues in Europe regularly that return home to America and are playing small venues.....it all depends on so many factors, and a countries culture, mindset, political status, history etc are all definitely a major part of what music the people there gravitate towards. 

Yes, but the USA is the cultural hegemon. Their culture is exported and imposed in a way that a country that is not the cultural hegemon couldnt expect to achieve. Hegemony is a one way transaction so those of us within its domain (much of the west) arent given the same access to other cultures for enrichment to the same extent.

So in a sense, to a certain degree, people in completely different cultures could be expected to have some frame of reference to US stadium rock. And further, their mindset and politics and understanding of their own history is expected to be influenced by US cultural hegemony.