NITL live videos on youtube: Wichita 2019 debuts today

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riot shields or bust.  

Cant beleive its taken the band 3 months to do this, and Fernando only agreeing to do something like this when told to him directly by the fans. If GNR want to look at being a top tier band this

LARGER! LARGER TEXT!!! I CAN'T READ!!!

All in all it's another disappointment, let's be honest. This comes across like no work at all was put into it. 

It's just so obvious that the "big 3" don't care at all about their "band". Axl, the perfectionist? Yeah, right. :D

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)

By the same criteria, a lot of the Illusion tour bootlegs (Deer Creek for example) are ''poor'' also as they were just the same thing basically, a direct feed. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

By the same criteria, a lot of the Illusion tour bootlegs (Deer Creek for example) are ''poor'' also as they were just the same thing basically, a direct feed. 

True, but the main difference is that you could "see" Axl. Here, whenever he sings, they show the far away shots where you can actually see him on the giant screens...very bizarre editing.

Oklahoma and Chicago 92 had a more natural feeling I think. Here the whole video lacks dynamics (not to mention the silent crowd).

• Like 2

Good they are finally uploading stuff.

But boy what a lousy sound mix! Axl singing alright but he sounds like crap, that's not his fault, just a horrible mix. Slash is too dominant in the mix and the rhythm section is too soft and muddy with Richard being way too low in the mix. The whole thing needs definition, edge and zing.

If I had the seperate tracks for each song I could make a MUCH better mix than that without altering any of what was originally performed.

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

So after watching it 3 times, I'll give my 2 cents:

2.Slash - I like his tone, it's not as good as it was during the Illusion tour, but I still thinks he sounds good.. His playing however is basically just noodling around, no structure, no phrasing, just a lot of notes played really fast.. His feeling seems to be gone when he's playing live

Point 2 is a bit of an over-hyped myth on this forum.  The ISE outro, the solo's in CD and DTJ are all completely improvised solos anyways.  They change every night.

While Slash does tend to play a little faster these days, I think he tends to stick to the structure of the solo's, especially on the ballads.

I think the noodling thing started just because of This I Love.  Get the feeling Slash just doesn't like the song at all.

Overall though, Slash is the star of the show.  But the band is clearly Slash and Duff playing with Axl's band and the chemistry is a bit off as a result.  

There is no a single aspect which I genuinely liked about the video apart from the fact the it’s been finally released and the things are in motion now.

1. That would be a shame if they’ll ignore 2016 just because don’t want to look silly realising those videos only now. As the band was at its prime back then, I would rather listen most tracks from there plus some deep cuts from the following years. But I hope they just use 2017-2019 to fill the songs which Axl can sing in any state to create the visibility that they have covered all the years and more crucial performances will be taken from 2016.

2. No shots of Dizzy or Melissa (or did I missed them?) — are they in the band after all? Backing vocals and piano still play roles in given songs.

3. Not enough close ups at action moments — the experience feels too distant.

4. Too many shots from above the FOH, distant views — they are too static and useful only when pyrotechnics are in charge. Not great for arena shows.

5. No or low crowd noise — is it a live video or studio-live-Frankenstein? Return the audience! 

6. Transitions between songs were also a little lame — it is a live video from the same show, what’s the point of mini-intermissions? Use crowd shots, mix the audio and create a seamless experience.

7. Strange choice to use an arena show instead of a stadium one, as the latter is usually better for video Pro Shot. Hope they won’t choose a strategy to show songs which aren't on YouTube yet. I’m doubtful, that in the era of iPhones we’ve  not captured all the epic performances already. 

8. I’m not a sound engineer, so hard to tell objectively, but the sound also was not at its best. Okay, its a lossy YouTube track, but still it’s possible to make a good mixing with deep sound and all the instruments in charge. Sometimes, it felt like just Axl and Slash was in the mix. 

Glad to see the video after all and anticipate the next ones, but if they would be the same quality and not concert-wise, I’d rather return to fan-made pro-shots or first row videos. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

5. No or low crowd noise — is it a live video or studio-live-Frankenstein? Return the audience! 

It’s just the US crowd

• Like 2

I wouldn't call it a total disappointment, it's realy not as good as it should/could be, the overall appearances of that clip is debatabel, neither sound nor the video editing appears very professional.

Now some are blaming the band for it again. What should the "big3" have done for it to get it better? do the editing on themselfs? i doubt, they even saw it in advance?

Posted (edited)

That's something finally! Of course still waiting for new music but until then I'm happy with something like this. If there's coming more of that, like every week three songs, I'd be happy.

Edit: Not that noodling bullshit again :facepalm::lol: Should Slash play the NR solo during DTJ to make people happy?

They choose 3 rock n roll songs this time. Slash's solos were excellent on them.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, EricA said:

I wouldn't call it a total disappointment, it's realy not as good as it should/could be, the overall appearances of that clip is debatabel, neither sound nor the video editing appears very professional.

Now some are blaming the band for it again. What should the "big3" have done for it to get it better? do the editing on themselfs? i doubt, they even saw it in advance?

Cause it's their fucking band?? I doubt as well they saw it in advance and approved it, that's why it's shit and thats why they're to blame. 

• Like 2

Nah but they could hire a guy who could hire real professionals, ya know, like other bands do... At least someone who did the AfD dvd. Then again, these are just snippets, not an official DVD, so it's hard to say what we should really expect. It definitely could be better on all fronts though, like I've said before. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chinese stew said:

My 3 cents..

1. Just 3 songs... really?

2. The mix makes them sound weak. Just watch the Wembley LALD Mtv pro shot, it sounds AMAZING, loud and feels like you're there... with technology from 1991.

3. The drumming...ffs :facepalm:

Everything but point 3. 

The drumming, what is wrong with it? The best song of the 3 is where Frank lead it in DTJ, the rest Slash or Duff started far quicker than they should leaving frank no choice but to play fast with them... I guess they think it sounds good? Have they heard playback?

The problem is the whole band is sloppy, you can't blame the drummer for what we have in this video.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Nah but they could hire a guy who could hire real professionals, ya know, like other bands do... At least someone who did the AfD dvd. Then again, these are just snippets, not an official DVD, so it's hard to say what we should really expect. It definitely could be better on all fronts though, like I've said before. 

I think it's not fair/likely to expect proshot DVD levels of production value as that's something they'd typically charge for. Although of course better would be better.

Full soundboards would be great. I'd love a soundboard of the show I went to at the very least.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

All in all it's another disappointment, let's be honest.

Oh stop complaining. Nice to see I was proven right that there's people on here that would complain about anyhing.

37 minutes ago, EricA said:

Ofc it's not a 'total disappointment'. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Good to see people continue to move the goalposts ("Oh but muh mix/ editing/ drummming") .

If in 2014 you told this forum that in 2020

- Slash and Duff came back

- The setlist covers some of the most obscure deepcuts

- We get stuff from every GNR album + a VR song

- And now we're getting live footage for free streamed directly to youtube

They'd tell you you were a pie in the sky dreamer. Just goes to show once people get something they feel entitled to it and more.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Everything but point 3. 

The drumming, what is wrong with it? The best song of the 3 is where Frank lead it in DTJ, the rest Slash or Duff started far quicker than they should leaving frank no choice but to play fast with them... I guess they think it sounds good? Have they heard playback?

The problem is the whole band is sloppy, you can't blame the drummer for what we have in this video.

I'm with you. I don't see/hear what's wrong with Frank in this video. His snare drum is mixed horribly but that's not his fault.

He plays It's So Easy close to the vest and doesn't embellish it as much as he does some of the other Appetite stuff (I'm looking at you, Rocket Queen). Chinese is moot because he's the drummer of that anyways. DTJ was spot on. There were some rough versions of that during other tour stops but the entire rhythm section was dead on here.

4 hours ago, charliedont said:

Axl is going to be pissed when he finds out they released a version of Chinese Democracy that has 7 screw-ups in it... what a bizarre choice to release this version. 

Yeah that the real head scratcher for me.

Couldn't tell you the last time I heard them fllub CD and they pick this rare time it happens? Still sounds good just weird to choose it.

Part of me guesses they just directly sent the files to the editor (who doesn't know what CD sounded like) and so didn't hear the flub.

Otherwise makes no sense to release a version with a stumble in it.

7 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Antifragile by Nassim Taleb. Good book.

Guns is a fragile band. Axl for all his good traits, such as defense of the value of art, seems like a fragile human. 

360p upscale to 1080 with a bad mix and horrid transcode? Video editing where a year one student could do better? Treating Axl like the wizard of oz?

No interest in this band anymore. No balls.

CD was cool. Praise robin.

I’m done with GNR.

byyyeeeeee

The sound mix was awful yeah. Flat af. Also I can't believe they actually uploaded a 360p video. It's cool they are doing something but it's 2020 ffs this stuff is in no way difficult. 

I have no idea why they show us songs from 2019 when they want to hide Axl's body shape. That makes no sense.

In 2016 he had better body shape, his voice was much more stable and his hair was better. Why didn't they start with these concerts? You can save Troubador and LA Dodger Stadium for a possible Blu Ray in the future. All other concerts can used for YouTube the best performance of each songs but please: Only one song in one video! I see only advantages in uploading the best live performances of each song:

First: An average fan who is not intensively involved with Guns N 'Roses would rather click on a video with the title "Sweet Child O' Mine (Live ...." or "Welcome To The Jungle (Live ... " instead of "Guns N 'Roses - Not In Th .... " the title is too long to get interest. The name of the title should get to the point (!) only one song in a video. And maybe that fan decides "Hey sounds very cool, I have to experience the band live." The best advertisement to sell the tickets for the next tour.

Second: The hardcore fans get every song in the best possible performance on YouTube. No mojo that destroys Guns N 'Roses live experience. A band belongs on the stage. Please give fans incredible performances of every song, give fans "Locomotive", "Dead Horse", "Prostitute" the best "WTTJ", the best "TWAT", the best "Paradise City"

If you want to show us a Axl Rose in good condition. Then shows us an Axl in a good shape in 2016 or send him to a gym and vocal training.

Sorry for my bad english

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Gordon Comstock changed the title to NITL live videos on youtube: Wichita 2019 debuts today
  • downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic