NITL live videos on youtube

I think we all agree that we need more Axl closeups for the next one. Especially since you can see those there on the screens. And the mixing could be less dry to be more forgiving. Other than that, this was pretty good and I'm looking forward to more.

• Like 2

I like this one. Mixing isn't perfect and the mistakes are left in. Especially audible in "Chinese Democracy" The one thing I got outta these is even more respect for 4tus... and I guess I thought Slash was doing better with Chinese Democracy than he really was. He comes off as very sloppy in these videos.

If they released these shows like Metallica and Pearl Jam and you could buy a pro-shot of 'em then hell yeah I'd  be buying a few shows each month and watching them all.

The mixing is really bad in places. But overall cool thing and I like where this is going. Hopefully more will come soon.

Edited by bassplayer1993
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Nah, his tone and playing back then were different to how he plays and sounds now. 

How about NITL vs recent Conspirators? Do you find his tone differs there, too?

4 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

I like this one. Mixing isn't perfect and the mistakes are left in. Especially audible in "Chinese Democracy" The one thing I got outta these is even more respect for 4tus... and I guess I thought Slash was doing better with Chinese Democracy than he really was. He comes off as very sloppy in these videos.

If they released these shows like Metallica and Pearl Jam and you could buy a pro-shot of 'em then hell yeah I'd  be buying a few shows each month and watching them all.

The mixing is really bad in places. But overall cool thing and I like where this is going. Hopefully more will come soon.

If they had a huge catalogue of proshots, I'd bankrupt myself, especially with 2006-10, UYI proshots. This is good though, we have such a small inventory of proshots materials, I could probably name them all off the top of my head

1 minute ago, Ant said:

How about NITL vs recent Conspirators? Do you find his tone differs there, too?

I haven’t seen the conspirators since 2012, skipped them last few times around. He sounded better in 2012 than on the 3 NITL gigs. 

The Conspirators gigs I’ve been at were all indoor, and I’ve only saw GNR with Slash outdoors. NuGuns indoor and out. So the sound is obviously different in both environments. 

But I dunno how he sounded better outdoors in 92 than he does outdoors in 2016 & 2017

23 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

If they had a huge catalogue of proshots, I'd bankrupt myself, especially with 2006-10, UYI proshots. This is good though, we have such a small inventory of proshots materials, I could probably name them all off the top of my head

They’re all deep down in the vault lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I misread the jungle thing, as you read the Chinese Democracy thing... I definitely don't think Chinese is irreplaceable, I was saying that in comparison to Prostitute it's a much, much better live song. 

Hey, I'd love if My Michelle was in more sets... but Nightrain is also one of my favourite songs and it always gets a great reaction, My Michelle is a little slower and possibly a bit more of a deeper cut in 2020, so that's why it's not always in the set.

Right, but the key is alternating the songs, not replacing them for good. How cool would that be. Well, we'll see this fall. (Unless we won't.) 

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

Yeah Estranged is a weird one. No need for the head voice yet he goes for it every time. It must just be a comfort thing for him because it just makes no sense.

It's the same things as when he switched up how he sang mr brownstone in the 90's. And since then I've just not dug any live version of brownstone (with the exception of 2010 rose bar).

His mid range is strange because it's there yet it isn't. Was listening to the "I feel good" cover from 2017 and he busts out a real nice mid voice (range of voices actually) on that. Plenty of rasp. Yet YCBM will suffer from the same thin voice issue.

I think the more Axl sings a song the 'cleaner' he will make it. I think this points to a concentrated effort  to smooth out his vocals be that for voice sparing or stylistic choices who knows.

Would love to hear way more of the 2010 'low' rasp return but I will say that using the clean voice has allowed Axl to keep his voice in pretty decent condition (in terms of range and projection etc). 

Certainly I think he could keep the head voice for SCOM. While the clean voice gets a bit too much stick on here it fits that song pretty well imo.

But NR could switch to a more 'you aint the first' type voice and would sound ace. 

The Rose Bar gig was truly an anomaly for vocal approach. Jungle stands out too because it's the only occasion beyond 1993 that I'm aware of where he does the long growl into the main riff instead of holding a long scream.

But yeah, overall I'm sure it's just a comfort thing for longevity.

Agreed on November Rain too. He could sing the whole thing in his You Ain't The First or Patience voice and it would sound totally fine.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ant said:

Bands aren't entitled to slavish praise just like fans aren't "entitled" to content. 

None of this is necessary and nobody is entitled to shit.

But how come Slash can pull this off?

But GUNS N' F'N ROSES can't.

this and THREE (THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!) focking Blu Rays. Why can't Guns N' Roses release some full concerts from 2016.. Axl Rose has a good body and a stabil voice in 2016.. all perfect for a official release.

Btw nice Nightrain.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

It definitely should be heavily altered. Think about it – how many bands do we know that keep playing more or less the same setlist with dozens of staples and just very few changes over years? When it comes down to it, there are really only some three songs that undisputedly need to be played every show: WTTJ, SCOM, and PC. Anything else can be omitted, although it would be kinda weird if it happened all at once (then again, fuck it, why not). And they’ll always play NR (unless it’s a club like Troubadour) and KOHD (I surely could do without it already). Nightrain and RQ should also be there, although Nightrain did alternate with Michelle in the old days, and RQ could do the same with something else. 
Also, why does the start always have to be Easy, Brownstone, Chinese, Jungle? Can we fucking change that already? Even if you skip one of these or replace it with something else, it would only be to the benefit of the whole thing. 
Better, Chinese, LALD, solos like WYWH, Attitude, RQ, DTJ, Seeker (especially that one!) – all these songs could be at least alternating with something. Patience with DC etc. There are many tunes with lower register that Axl could do easily, and it would help the playlist in general. Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, other UYI stuff.  
But no, they always have to start with the same 4 songs and then huff and puff through the same old, same old. 
I know this topic/debate has already been discussed. Anyway, I certainly hope they’ll make HUGE changes come fall. It’s seriously moronic to keep the same setlist for years. Who does that? I personally don’t need ISE/Mr. B/CD/Jungle every show! We already know this is the band (more or less) that created AfD, we’re already aware of CD’s existence – it needs no further promotion, replace it with some other song. Like, why not Prostitute? The original has a clean voice anyway, easy-peasy.
Etc. Just make some changes. One newish song like Hard School won’t do it. It’s the whole approach that needs a goddamn upgrade. 
Sorry for the unsolicited rant. 

It’s cool mate - I agree! 😂 - I’m gonna think of my ‘workable’ setlist and post it later. I mean - Duff could do leads on Dust N Bones/14 Years EASILY too....there are a few options as you say!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

nah again it's just not a A+ mix.

A dry mix isn't necessarily bad (in this case it's not great).

But just because something isn't exceptional doesn't mean it's trash (this forum is incapable of nuance ).

I get what you mean, and I am one of those who enjoyed overall the experience of the three songs premiered on Youtube.

But let's put it this way - if I delivered that mix to my professor back in my Mixing and Recording Techniques class back in the music college I attended, I would have failed the class without a doubt lol.  So for one of the biggest rock bands in the world to release a mix like that to me is baffling.  

Maybe they can have Caram do a quick mix using the audio files, he can send them back the mix via ProTools video that is super easy to sync up to video.  Caram did a great job with the 2017 remix of the NY show for Sirius so something like that even remotely would be very easy

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Is it entitlement, or disappointment?

I don't think many people are saying "they owe us this" or "we deserve that", but it is frustrating when we know how good this band could be. Most people seem to agree that the Salt Lake City pro-shot is a step in the right direction, but it's definitely an odd choice to release this first (poor audio and no close up shots of the lead singer isn't exactly great promotion).

That said, Double Talkin' Jive was the highlight and I'm hoping for a few more gems in the upcoming weeks.

Seriously.. I shared the link with like before it aired hoping they were gonna blow us away.. I wish I never did... The only effort put into the thing was editing out bad angles of Axl.. There were so many incredible performances of ISO and they somehow decided on a weak one?  

Hopefully they put a little more effort into this. Make something the fans can share proudly.  I know the line up isn't the greatest but they can showcase them better than that... They really need to channel the energy of the crowd in somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

Btw nice Nightrain.

Killer performance.. Everything about that video blows away the videos Guns released the other night.. The quality.. The production... The performance... Slash's playing is so much better with those guys than with NITL.. I don't care what anyone says but I just don't hear any chemistry with Slash and Fortus... 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

But let's put it this way - if I delivered that mix to my professor back in my Mixing and Recording Techniques class back in the music college I attended, I would have failed the class without a doubt lol.  So for one of the biggest rock bands in the world to release a mix like that to me is baffling.  

I'm not by any means saying it's a great mix. But people here act like it's the worst ever and it's just not.

Should the mix be better for the next video? Absolutely, I'd love to actually here Duff and Fortus (kind of insane that you can't really hear the bass intro to 'its so easy').

57 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Straw Man Argument? That's an unusual phrase. I've never heard that before. Where did you pick that up from? 

Just a phrase that's moved into use.

Blame commentary YouTubers and Twitter.

2 hours ago, NicoGNR5 said:

So if we don’t get shit until 2030 you’re still going to be with the argument: “oh guys, no one predicted they would be back in 2014, stop complaining”. I don’t think that’s how a band (or music) works at all.

Yeah basically. It's undeniable we're in a better spot now than 2014.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously.. I shared the link with like before it aired hoping they were gonna blow us away.. I wish I never did... The only effort put into the thing was editing out bad angles of Axl.. There were so many incredible performances of ISO and they somehow decided on a weak one?  

Hopefully they put a little more effort into this. Make something the fans can share proudly.  I know the line up isn't the greatest but they can showcase them better than that... They really need to channel the energy of the crowd in somehow. 

Yea they should at least add some crowd noise on the next video... maybe let Caram 'remix' a few shows like he did with the Apollo 2017 broadcast.

It'd be great if they just posted the Troubadour footage, or Houston 2016 (or a best of Houston + Arlington and call it Live From Texas or something) but if they're gonna post 15~ minute segments from individual shows, then I get why they picked a 2019 show for these songs... assuming they're gonna represent the whole tour, it makes sense to pick the 'safe' songs from the last couple years. Hopefully that means we'll get good 2016 performances of the raspier songs.

They probably shouldn't let this one linger for too long though, hopefully they post another video in the next few days, and not the next few weeks. It shouldn't be too hard to quickly put out another video with this type of audio quality and editing :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s cool mate - I agree! 😂 - I’m gonna think of my ‘workable’ setlist and post it later. I mean - Duff could do leads on Dust N Bones/14 Years EASILY too....there are a few options as you say!

Sadly Axl always sung 14 years just wuth Izzy, i love  14 years.

5 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

A band doesn't owe fans proshots. Sure they are nice (and I'm glad they've started releasing them) but the majority don't just chuck them out for free.

Imagine complaining to 2014 fans that Slash and Duff were back and playing 'Coma'+'Locomotive'. You'd be laughed out.

Just read this thread, the entitlement is obvious.

Vast majority of the discussion came after Fernando's announcement and was about the length of time it was taking to put out a video. After the video was released people voiced their opinion on the video, completely fine and I don't see any sense of entitlement in doing that. 

Again, playing a few deepcuts is the only interesting thing this lineup has done in the last 4 years. Imagine telling a fan that by 2020 the only thing to come of the reunion is a few deepcuts and there's still no news on any new music, still no band interview or communication, and now touring the same cities for the umpteenth time with basically the same setlist apart from a few deepcuts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea they should at least add some crowd noise on the next video... maybe let Caram 'remix' a few shows like he did with the Apollo 2017 broadcast.

It'd be great if they just posted the Troubadour footage, or Houston 2016 (or a best of Houston + Arlington and call it Live From Texas or something) but if they're gonna post 15~ minute segments from individual shows, then I get why they picked a 2019 show for these songs... assuming they're gonna represent the whole tour, it makes sense to pick the 'safe' songs from the last couple years. Hopefully that means we'll get good 2016 performances of the raspier songs.

They probably shouldn't let this one linger for too long though, hopefully they post another video in the next few days, and not the next few weeks. It shouldn't be too hard to quickly put out another video with this type of audio quality and editing :lol:

There's a good chance of seeing a 2016 performance, but It's no harm to ask management to look at those shows. Why not draw up a list of shows we all liked and say "please pick a few from these" I guess it's like anything, you get what you put in and seen as we're collectively a great reference book it wouldn't be that hard! I doubt they know what is good just from memory and I highly doubt they are pooling through all those recordings or remember "oh yeah we sounded great on RQ that night".

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

This is the kind of set GNR should do imo:

Nightrain

Hard School

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Bad Obsession

Live & Let Die

Don't Cry

Double Talkin Jive

Locomotive

Acoustic set:

- You Ain't The First (alternating with Used To Love Her)

- You're Crazy (alternating with acoustic version of Civil War)

- Patience

- Sweet Child O Mine (whole step down to make it easier to sing, half acoustic, full band kicking in before the solo)

Atlas Shrugged

Chinese Democracy

The Seeker

Knockin On Heavens Door

Since I Don't Have You

November Rain

Mr Brownstone

Paradise City

If hell freezes over and they release a new album, take Locomotive, Since I Don't Have You and Double Talkin Jive out of the set and replace them with the new songs.

That'd be pretty awesome. This would be the ideal set in 2020/21 IMO:

You're Crazy
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Down On The Farm
Double Talkin' Jive
Hardschool
Attitude
So Fine (w/ Axl)
Pretty Tied Up
You Could Be Mine
Solo / Sweet Child O' Mine
November Rain
Live And Let Die
Think About You
Bad Obsession
You Ain't The First (even if Duff's on lead vocals)
Patience
Knockin' On Heavens Door
Atlas/Perhaps/any new song
Nightrain

The Seeker
Estranged
Paradise City

Dead Horse, Don't Cry, Civil War, Wichita Lineman and Ain't It Fun as options/alternates.

:devilshades:

21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There's a good chance of seeing a 2016 performance, but It's no harm to ask management to look at those shows. Why not draw up a list of shows we all liked and say "please pick a few from these"

We'd have to wait until somebody posts that list on reddit, apparently :lol:

• Haha 1