NITL live videos on youtube

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, I agree with almost all of this apart from the Metallica stuff... I think all three metallica albums since 2000 have had some great songs, but I haven't loved any one of the albums as much as I loved those 80s and 90s albums, whether it was production issues, song writing or whatever. They are still great for fans though in terms of still releasing things and constantly having something different! so even if the album isn't my favourite they still keep you excited as a fan. I remember once in about 2015 i had the same feelings towards Metallica that i do for GNR, where it had been years since they released music and there was no sign of things changing... but then out of nowhere they dropped hardwired and alls well again!

As for the gnr and the leaks, the only one that I can easily remember is State of grace. Hardschool is a mess of a song, as are a lot of the other leaks... I could hear a good song in there somewhere but it would really need a lot of work! 

I’m really surprised at this - IMO it’s one of the more straightforward songs on the leaks...I’d say the intro is divisive (although I personally like it)!! I think Hardschool is tremendous however...so maybe I’m biased...😂

51 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’m really surprised at this - IMO it’s one of the more straightforward songs on the leaks...I’d say the intro is divisive (although I personally like it)!! I think Hardschool is tremendous however...so maybe I’m biased...😂

Hardschool is good, but the demo is almost twice as long as it needs to be. Cut out most of the intro and the bridge part (around 2:30) and it's a solid, quick rocker. It's not a song that needs to be more than 3 mins long.... there's only like 16 lines of vocals in the verses and the chorus is pretty short. :shrugs:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Hardschool is good, but the demo is almost twice as long as it needs to be. Cut out most of the intro and the bridge part (around 2:30) and it's a solid, quick rocker. It's not a song that needs to be more than 3 mins long.... there's only like 16 lines of vocals in the verses and the chorus is pretty short. :shrugs:

Fair comments - albeit I like the intro (Id guess im in the minority here and there is a chance its been chopped anyway if the rehearsal is anything to go by) I’m cool with that being in though. Yeah - maybe trim a bit here and there and not far away. I was just surprised when @Tom2112 referred to it as a mess....I thought it was pretty well formed?!!! All about opinions. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I think the whole middle section is really all over the place (like a completely different song), and the intro is a complete waste of time😄The chorus and verse are grand but I think Axl could have sang something with a bit more of a hook over it consider the guitar riff is so basic.

It's not awful, it's just not very good... to me at least. It was a weakness of the CD band not to write great heavy rock songs. They could make a power ballad, but big rock was a swing and a miss.

*I think Slash could rescue it with a great extra riff and a big solo!

Edited by Tom2112

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Fair comments - albeit I like the intro (Id guess im in the minority here and there is a chance its been chopped anyway if the rehearsal is anything to go by) I’m cool with that being in though. Yeah - maybe trim a bit here and there and not far away. I was just surprised when @Tom2112 referred to it as a mess....I thought it was pretty well formed?!!! All about opinions. 👍

Well "a mess" might be strong considering it's from the leak that gave us macdaddy😄

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think the whole middle section is really all over the place (like a completely different song), and the intro is a complete waste of time😄The chorus and verse are grand but I think Axl could have sang something with a bit more of a hook over it consider the guitar riff is so basic.

It's not awful, it's just not very good... to me at least. It was a weakness of the CD band not to write great heavy rock songs. They could make a power ballad, but big rock was a swing and a miss.

*I think Slash could rescue it with a great extra riff and a big solo!

Fair doos mate - I think we will get to hear a Slash-ified version anyway (be it live or studio) so will be good to hear what it sounds like ‘now’. 👍

16 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, I agree with almost all of this apart from the Metallica stuff... I think all three metallica albums since 2000 have had some great songs, but I haven't loved any one of the albums as much as I loved those 80s and 90s albums, whether it was production issues, song writing or whatever. They are still great for fans though in terms of still releasing things and constantly having something different! so even if the album isn't my favourite they still keep you excited as a fan. I remember once in about 2015 i had the same feelings towards Metallica that i do for GNR, where it had been years since they released music and there was no sign of things changing... but then out of nowhere they dropped hardwired and alls well again!

That's another factor - no new music will ever have the same effect as the old stuff for long time  fans, simply because we're older and at a different point in life. 

With Metallica, stuff like Spit out the bone, All Nightmare long, Hardwired are every bit as good as the old songs. For newer fans, I'm sure they're just as good as the classics. 

For me, the above mentioned Metallica songs would go straight to a Best Of CD.

Edited by El Guapo

40 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

That's another factor - no new music will never have the same effect as the old stuff for long time  fans, simply because we're older and at a different point in life. 

With Metallica, stuff like Spit out the bone, All Nightmare long, Hardwired are every bit as good as the old songs. For newer fans, I'm sure they're just as good as the classics. 

Yup - three great songs. All Nightmare Long is tremendous - the riff used is a sped-up version of something demoed on the early St Anger sessions - it’s on YouTube called ‘Shadows Of The Cross’ and just shows how mucking about with the riff can give so many different possibilities. The full release of Shadows Of The Cross is Metallicas ‘Zodiac with vocals’ for me...😂...at least we know we will get it in the St Anger Deluxe Set. All Nightmare Ling is hampered by less-than-great production. If it had HTSD’s production....🤯

Edited by DTJ80
More comments
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That's another factor - no new music will never have the same effect as the old stuff for long time  fans, simply because we're older and at a different point in life. 

All nightmare long, Frantic, Moth into flame. 

I still love Hardwired and despite the awful production I liked Death Magnetic! But yeah, we're in a different headspace now! I will always go out and listen to the new metallica album but my preferences have changed since I was 15... thank god😄 my neck would be in pieces otherwise!

47 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yup - three great songs. All Nightmare Long is tremendous - the riff used is a sped-up version of something demoed on the early St Anger sessions - it’s on YouTube called ‘Shadows Of The Cross’ and just shows how mucking about with the riff can give so many different possibilities. The full release of Shadows Of The Cross is Metallicas ‘Zodiac with vocals’ for me...😂...at least we know we will get it in the St Anger Deluxe Set. All Nightmare Ling is hampered by less-than-great production. If it had HTSD’s production....🤯

Hardwired production and more memorable guitar solo. Where did kirk hammett disappear to in the 00s? Used to write such memorable tasty solos... Bob Rock, please come back!! Greg isn't mean enough to crack the whip like Bob did.

Edited by Tom2112

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Hardwired production and more memorable guitar solo. Where did kirk hammett disappear to in the 00s? Used to write such memorable tasty solos... Bob Rock, please come back!! Greg isn't mean enough to crack the whip like Bob did.

Kirk is a random one...based on the SKOM documentary he was caught in the middle of a warring Hetfield/Ulrich which led to the ‘no solos’ on St Anger....then there was the ‘missing iPhone with all his riffs on it’ which was apparently why he was not as involved for HTSD. Reading between the lines on that one there appeared to be some personal stuff - however - I did notice that over the last 2-3 years he was absolutely killing it live (which hasn’t always been the case) and seemed in a good place so hopefully that bodes well for the next album. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Kirk is a random one...based on the SKOM documentary he was caught in the middle of a warring Hetfield/Ulrich which led to the ‘no solos’ on St Anger....then there was the ‘missing iPhone with all his riffs on it’ which was apparently why he was not as involved for HTSD. Reading between the lines on that one there appeared to be some personal stuff - however - I did notice that over the last 2-3 years he was absolutely killing it live (which hasn’t always been the case) and seemed in a good place so hopefully that bodes well for the next album. 👍

Yeah that's my take on things too! 

5 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

It's not that the intro is bad, it's just unnecessary. It's not Scraped or Rhiad levels of unnecessary, but it's 55 seconds long and they could cut out the first 45 seconds and it would benefit the song IMO. Same with the solo, unless there's a 3rd verse on later versions, the slowed down bridge part doesn't work that well with the rest of the song. The best way I can describe it is: it seems like they had a 2.5 minute rocker, and Axl wanted it to be 'grander' or more 'epic' than it really was. :axl:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

The latest select was the best we can expect from this Axl and Slash...Faaaaar from their prime but great for their age.

Now cut the BS and give us new music

I know this is almost certainly hitting the nail on the head, but I'd love if this line-up came back out after covid and shut everybody up (myself included), that says this reunion came too late and that it was a bit of an anti-climax. I'd love for them to have one more blistering run... of course there's going to be a bit of mickey and slop here and there! but if they could flip the odds from almost certainly not getting a great Axl performance to, to you will almost certainly get a good to great show from him, my jaw would hit the floor!

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not that the intro is bad, it's just unnecessary. It's not Scraped or Rhiad levels of unnecessary, but it's 55 seconds long and they could cut out the first 45 seconds and it would benefit the song IMO. Same with the solo, unless there's a 3rd verse on later versions, the slowed down bridge part doesn't work that well with the rest of the song. The best way I can describe it is: it seems like they had a 2.5 minute rocker, and Axl wanted it to be 'grander' or more 'epic' than it really was. :axl:

👍