NITL live videos on youtube

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah SCOM just hasn’t worked live since UYI. Hell, even then, Axl didn’t sing it right anymore. The studio version is VERY powerful with the way he holds the “whoaaaa oh whoa sweet child o mine,” like he’s singing it all with just one breath. During the shows from the AFD time period he was still doing that, but by the time they got to the UYI tour the chorus had become “whoa... oh whoa, sweet child o mine,” and it sounds pretty boring, and has stayed that way since. The “clean” voice doesn’t help. They should tune down, at least for that one song and maybe a few others.

I think the version from one of those LA 2006 shows is about the only time post-1993 (maybe earlier) that Axl has sounded pretty close to his studio take on it. Otherwise, I agree 100%. It's never been particularly great live.

Some of the outro he seems to do more staccato these days as well instead of the flowing melody.

And his "and pray for the THUN DAH" always gets me. Why Axl? :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I will say this. In a time when so many bands have decided to fake playing live it is refreshing to see bands like gnr go out with their limitations and be a raw rock band.

I don't agree that they are terrible, I just think they are a bit looser than my preferences allow for on some songs. I know that when you are at the show, it's fun, it's loud and you are going to smile and dance! That's the point. When you hear it back in HQ maybe it bursts your bubble about your experience  maybe it doesn't. Nothing to be embarrassed about!

The band being loose is not a problem. Axl not being able to sing however, is.

1 hour ago, Rayno said:

You cannot be serious. Guitars are a mess, drums too. Listen to Metallica live shows, pal.

This was soundboard in - Mixed - Then compressed. Literally the 3 stages a propper pro shot goes through. Just because you prefer Metallica's mixing quality better doesn't deter from the fact that this was a AAA production, you can even here the automation levelling of Axl's vocals  mid lines to make his (very weak) lines audible.

Long story short, the compression and automation worked MIRACLES here.

Thanks for ur wicked input 'METALLICA SOUNDS BETTER'.....ok?....

:)

Edited by SMG

I don’t remember Axl ever singing SCOM well apart from the pre UYI days. Plus I remember reading somewhere that in the studio he recorded the SCOM vocals line by line which explains a lot.  It was never a song that could sound live like it does on record... lyrically anyway.

i have a bad feeling that his voice is just completely shot now so let’s hope he has plenty of studio vocals recorded from the CD sessions.

Edited by megaguns1982

4 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I’m very pleased! Great to have Slither in this quality, Axl sounds great on it. Slash recovers nicely from accidentally playing the first solO of SCOM again at the second break before the final chorus, hahahahaha. The track list is excellent. This was quite enjoyable and I’m happy they posted it. 

He must be either day dreaming or bored. Its as bad as axl forgetting the jungle lyrics at bridge school.

49 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Usually with SCOM, Axl's saving grace is that the entire crowd is singing over him. The pro-shots on the other hand should be hidden deep in the drawers never to be revealed.

,Axl's saving grace is that the entire crowd is singing over him.

we have almost officially gone into bon jovi territory. At least at thi s point rearrange the setlist and focus on his lower registar.

10 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Stuff like this just happens, it's human. Could very well be that he wasn't really into it though.

And i wouldnt blame  him.  They should never kept nitl, past end 2017. 2018  should have been a new album tour. They should either drop scom or play it on certain nights.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm specifically talking about the  casuals and the people seeing them.for the first time. 

Imagine your first gnr concert before you entered the matrix and they didn't play SCOM.  You would have  been pissed.

Hardcores would swap out most of the hits for deep, deep cuts we all know that... but it's not a set that the majority would be familiar with.

If the band were still looking to do a NA tour in 2020 this would there what 3rd or 4th NA tour?. Over the last 4 years they have toured Europe twice some Asian countires twice and Australia once :max:. I would like to think any casual fan who has wanted to see GNR would have done so by 2018/19. For the NA fans that should have been 2017.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Their live version of Rocket Queen is fucking awful. Why stick a shitty disco jam on to a song that is already a long one? Almost as bad as the KOHD saga. Actual quality of the audio is much better than last time, just a shame they haven't tried to re-work their songs into a key or style where Axl can sound good.

• Thanks 1

Slash is clearly the star of the show. I just wish Axl would sing in a manner that fits his current voice. Like on Slither, he sounds pretty good for most of it, but he strains trying to hit some notes. 

• Like 2

They should pick Chinese instead of SCOM, and in previous one SCOM instead of Chinese.

This was a pretty bad SCOM even Axl aside, and that performance of CD they gave us was sloppy.

I enjoyed it tho. It was much better than the last one. Axl doesn’t sound very good, but it was far from the worst. He was fine. 

I’d like to see Shadow too but I’m not complaining.

Good job this time.

1 hour ago, Axlr0s37 said:

This was an amazing concert to be at. I can't believe they didn't include SOYL. Axl was amazing on that. If i remember correctly he pulled out a blistering performance of Nightrain as well 

Leipzig 2018 was on point on SOYL. Axls timing was perfect. No fuck ups with the rhythm or somethin else

Edited by t-p-d-a

This are my thoughts on yesterday's video, after watching it a few times:

- I have nothing to criticize about the video itself. I think management realized we are not stupid and that we DID notice the lack of Axl on the previous one. I loved the quality of this one, both audio and video wise. Those who say the mix sucks, well, then you should hear ISE and WTTJ from the Highlights TV show that Download aired themselves the weekend after the gig. Audio was vastly improved.

- For this one, the critics should be entirely to the band. Honestly I don't think it was that bad, for GNR 2018-2020 standards. The truth is, if you show this performance (or ANY other from 2017-2020) to someone who isn't into GNR, they'll just laugh to your face. I'm literally embarrassed of showing current Axl to people because I know he sounds like absolute shit. It's not even serious. And you can deny it all you want but that's the way it is. Even Appetite For Democracy sounds good compared to current Axl.

- With that being said, I hope there's more to come. It's very mature from them to show the current state of the band, even if it's shit. If Axl doesn't like his voice or his weight then he should do something about it. But the fans don't deserve to be taken away from stuff like this because the singer has insecurities about himself. Hell, even his band-mates deserve to be in a band that is serious and does stuff like this. GN'R (or Axl) should just accept that the band is what it is. They should accept how they sound, what the current lineup is, and that other lineups happened. That's the first step into maturing as a band IMO. 

Now, I know some people said that this video was good probably because the Download people already did the camera/audio mixing. In that case, I guess it all depends on next video to see if they improved or not. But I'm really happy with what we saw yesterday, even if the performance was not very good.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

GnR fans are funny.  We complain from the lack of, we complain when video is posted, we complain about no album, and will complain about song choices if/when it comes out.  This band cant win.  I realize its mostly their fault etc

• Like 1

I was tired as fuck last night when I watched it but though it was better than the last one.. This lineup just is just good, not great.. It is what it is..

They quality of the footage was much better than the last "Selects" they released. 

Good selection of songs.. Although they were all ones Axl struggles with. That said he has sounded worse.

Definitely a better crowd than the Salt Lake City show. You could feel the energy more and hear them singing along with Axl with makes the experience better on the songs he struggles with. 

It is apparent more than ever that if he used a lower register voice during the Slither chorus it would sound much better.

Fortus still annoys me during Rocket Queen. His show solo doesn't fit the song in any way and isn't needed. And then he is just trying to hard and doing way too much during Slash's solo and makes it all sound rushed and sloppy.  How are you supposed to solo over that shit? Slash still gives it an A for effort. Similar situation at the end of DTJ.

Much better release than last time. Still nothing mind blowing that I would like to share with friends. I will watch again tonight. I really which they would release all the songs as separate videos so we good share the best ones. You know, actually help promote the band...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Their live version of Rocket Queen is fucking awful. Why stick a shitty disco jam on to a song that is already a long one? Almost as bad as the KOHD saga. Actual quality of the audio is much better than last time, just a shame they haven't tried to re-work their songs into a key or style where Axl can sound good.

The disco is terrible.. So is Fortus on this one... His solo doesn't even sound like it belongs in the same room as the song.. Just doesn't fit. 

I juste had a look at this new video. I'm happy that we got a second one ; the cinematography is better (Dizzy and Melissa are still nowhere to be seen though). It was a bit of a depressing watch -the band sounds mostly bored, Axl sounds supbar to awful, and the song selection was pretty bad. The songs we got really showcase this band's limitations. 

And what an awful audio mix.

Edited by EvH

4 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It is what it is. The Sounds cack, Axl sounds mostly cack, Slash on rocket queen sounds like me playing along drunk...But, expectations are low so..... 

are you serious ????

pfff anyway if we don't complain we are wrong. Maybe TB are the worst managment in the world but maybe also .......we are the worst fans in the world !!! come on we get free pro-vidéo. Congratulation @Powderfinger I would love to hear you playing drunk !!!!

Love this version of rocket Queen of exept........you know !!!!

I highly doubt anyone is getting made fun of for being a GNR fan right now. :lol::lol:

59 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

This are my thoughts on yesterday's video, after watching it a few times:

- I have nothing to criticize about the video itself. I think management realized we are not stupid and that we DID notice the lack of Axl on the previous one. I loved the quality of this one, both audio and video wise. Those who say the mix sucks, well, then you should hear ISE and WTTJ from the Highlights TV show that Download aired themselves the weekend after the gig. Audio was vastly improved.

- For this one, the critics should be entirely to the band. Honestly I don't think it was that bad, for GNR 2018-2020 standards. The truth is, if you show this performance (or ANY other from 2017-2020) to someone who isn't into GNR, they'll just laugh to your face. I'm literally embarrassed of showing current Axl to people because I know he sounds like absolute shit. It's not even serious. And you can deny it all you want but that's the way it is. Even Appetite For Democracy sounds good compared to current Axl.

- With that being said, I hope there's more to come. It's very mature from them to show the current state of the band, even if it's shit. If Axl doesn't like his voice or his weight then he should do something about it. But the fans don't deserve to be taken away from stuff like this because the singer has insecurities about himself. Hell, even his band-mates deserve to be in a band that is serious and does stuff like this. GN'R (or Axl) should just accept that the band is what it is. They should accept how they sound, what the current lineup is, and that other lineups happened. That's the first step into maturing as a band IMO. 

Now, I know some people said that this video was good probably because the Download people already did the camera/audio mixing. In that case, I guess it all depends on next video to see if they improved or not. But I'm really happy with what we saw yesterday, even if the performance was not very good.

I will take stuff that doesn't happen for 500 Alex.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

The truth is, if you show this performance (or ANY other from 2017-2020) to someone who isn't into GNR, they'll just laugh to your face. I'm literally embarrassed of showing current Axl to people because I know he sounds like absolute shit. It's not even serious. And you can deny it all you want but that's the way it is. Even Appetite For Democracy sounds good compared to current Axl.

Every. Word.