NITL live videos on youtube

2 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

91/92

That's why they added another cycle in 93 without the big band so they can make some money

Exactly. Even though I tend to take that with a bit of grain of salt. I can't really believe that they didn't make any money in '91/'92. But then again, compared to now, tickets back then cost nothing (even though people were still complaining about ticket prices), so maybe it is true.

32 minutes ago, dando said:

So 2012, Belfast, Dublin, Manchester, Birmingham and Barcelona that i went to... All near enough sold out, none of these we're poorly attended.. People turned out...

Very true.

Nu-GNR wasn't a instant venue sell out act but they toured arenas pretty comfortably in most of the  world. Especially impressive considering that (to this day) GNR seem to hate committing to bringing along good support acts for a tour.

6 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

91/92

That's why they added another cycle in 93 without the big band so they can make some money

Yeah that's what I remember the Skin N' Bones tour being referred to as in Slash's book (I think).

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Exactly. Even though I tend to take that with a bit of grain of salt. I can't really believe that they didn't make any money in '91/'92. But then again, compared to now, tickets back then cost nothing (even though people were still complaining about ticket prices), so maybe it is true.

Yeah it might seem crazy but looking at how cheap tickets used to be and the scale of the partying I can believe it.

They must've made a fortune on album sales though.

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Very true.

Nu-GNR wasn't a instant venue sell out act but they toured arenas pretty comfortably in most of the  world. Especially impressive considering that (to this day) GNR seem to hate committing to bringing along good support acts for a tour.

They must've made a fortune on album sales though.

Well, the one arena I saw in Basel in 2012, the upper level was quite empty. Mönchengladbach didn't fare much better, I was told. And the Oslo show I saw in 2010 also wasn't close to a sell out.

Yeah. The albums saved them back in the day.

16 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

They did make quite some money, but their managers pissed it away without the boys realizing, and all the late-start charges weren't insignificant either. 

18 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Oh, they were probably blowing out cash left right and centre! I think it's highly likely they were spending more than they were earning. This was the era before ticket prices went bonkers. 

13 minutes ago, jamillos said:

They did make quite some money, but their managers pissed it away without the boys realizing, and all the late-start charges weren't insignificant either. 

So they shouldn't say "we didn't make any money", they should say "we were too stupid to keep all the money we made". ;)

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh, they were probably blowing out cash left right and centre! I think it's highly likely they were spending more than they were earning. This was the era before ticket prices went bonkers. 

Yeah. We are way to late to go to so many concerts. I could have seen half of the tour with the money I spent on this tour. :P

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, the one arena I saw in Basel in 2012, the upper level was quite empty. Mönchengladbach didn't fare much better, I was told. And the Oslo show I saw in 2010 also wasn't close to a sell out.

Yeah. The albums saved them back in the day.

Absolutely not all shows were sellouts. But they sold well enough.

22 minutes ago, dallasgnrfan said:

The model has changed-- in '91-'93 you toured to boost album sales as album sales was the main profit driver for the band.  Now it is the other way around, with tours being the bigger profit driver, hence the largely inflated ticket prices. 

We should have continued to buy albums. :facepalm:;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dallasgnrfan said:

The model has changed-- in '91-'93 you toured to boost album sales as album sales was the main profit driver for the band.  Now it is the other way around, with tours being the bigger profit driver, hence the largely inflated ticket prices.

Yep, tickets have just picked up the slack where albums used to be.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Unironically yes.

Music being worthless and ticket prices being sky high is truly the worst timeline.

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

So they shouldn't say "we didn't make any money", they should say "we were too stupid to keep all the money we made". ;)

I believe that's what either Slash or Duff said in their book. That the managers were partying for their money, and they didn't know. Plus the fees. 

12 hours ago, dando said:

Axl will carry on forever with Guns, Slash left before, nobody knows he's off again.. Its easy money playing with Guns so why would he go?  Guns carried on before and would if it happened again 

I bet they wont be playing arenas or stadiums. What would axl do ask ashba to come back?.

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

I believe that's what either Slash or Duff said in their book. That the managers were partying for their money, and they didn't know. Plus the fees. 

It think the majority of the money went on axls after show parties, band day off days out and i thought the odd fine if they played late if there was curfews?.

The only thing slash matt and duff would buy on tour was probably liquor and drugs. I think they had low spending habits.

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I really need to learn how, when and who in the industry changed the whole model.

Edited by Sydney Fan

10 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

91/92

And so someone according to slash in his book, could afford their mult million dollar malibu home.

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really need to learn how, when and who in the industry changed the whole model.

1) Greed, 2) in the 90s, 3) the recording companies, producers, and all the other sharks who made an album cost a teenager a fortune, while the actual artist got like 10% of the price or whatever. I believe if the records cost like a half, a lot of people still would have been buying them back then. It's different now, with all the streaming etc., never to be the same. Basically the same debate as with burning and later downloading CDs and why. 
I remember Axl saying he reckoned two people would buy the UYI double album: each would buy one and copy the other one. Try suggesting something like this today...

Greed. The answer to everything. 

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I bet they wont be playing arenas or stadiums. What would axl do ask ashba to come back?.

Pass... Him, Finck, bumble etc all know the tracks, hopefully Slash stays... There's absolutely nothing but someone asking what if at this point