NITL live videos on youtube

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not that the intro is bad, it's just unnecessary. It's not Scraped or Rhiad levels of unnecessary, but it's 55 seconds long and they could cut out the first 45 seconds and it would benefit the song IMO. Same with the solo, unless there's a 3rd verse on later versions, the slowed down bridge part doesn't work that well with the rest of the song. The best way I can describe it is: it seems like they had a 2.5 minute rocker, and Axl wanted it to be 'grander' or more 'epic' than it really was. :axl:

For me the instrumental portions in HS are the definition of "placeholder" but knowing Axl, they are unchanged now!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 6:53 PM, Tom2112 said:

I know this is almost certainly hitting the nail on the head, but I'd love if this line-up came back out after covid and shut everybody up (myself included), that says this reunion came too late and that it was a bit of an anti-climax. I'd love for them to have one more blistering run... of course there's going to be a bit of mickey and slop here and there! but if they could flip the odds from almost certainly not getting a great Axl performance to, to you will almost certainly get a good to great show from him, my jaw would hit the floor!

Would be awesome but I just can't see it happening.... Ship sailed so long ago.... All these selects prove it...

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, these selects don't paint a pretty picture! 😅

It sucks.. I want this band to kick ass... So many other bands their age and older still but on consistent great performances.. I would love for this band to do the same.. I know the live experience (drunk) is fun but these Selects are so exposing... There really hasn't been any that I would share because there hasn't been that I think would impress anyone.. Just skipped through this new release last night.. Watching it properly now... I still feel like I am watching Slash and Duff play with a tribute band half the time..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

It sucks.. I want this band to kick ass... So many other bands their age and older still but on consistent great performances.. I would this band to do the same.. I know the live experience (drunk) is fun but these Selects are so exposing... There really hasn't been any that I would share because there hasn't been that I think would impress anyone.. Just skipped through this new release last night.. Watching it properly now... I still feel like I am watching Slash and Duff play with a tribute band half the time..

For me the band can sound a little off and be rescued by a great Axl vocal... but when the bands not locked in and the vocals off it's a disaster. 

I'm the exact same, I wouldn't share anything from GNR live these days, I know the comments wouldn't be pretty! Sure go and look at the comments under the blabbermouth story, they don't hold back over there! 'botox face, fat, can't sing' hard bunch to impress to be fair, but if the video was incredible then the comments would be far nicer, just like when he killed it with AC/DC. Such a lazy prick 😄

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It sucks.. I want this band to kick ass... So many other bands their age and older still but on consistent great performances.. I would love for this band to do the same.. I know the live experience (drunk) is fun but these Selects are so exposing... There really hasn't been any that I would share because there hasn't been that I think would impress anyone.. Just skipped through this new release last night.. Watching it properly now... I still feel like I am watching Slash and Duff play with a tribute band half the time..

A lot of other (older) bands only play 90-120 minutes, to be fair. And honestly I'd prefer a 90-120 minute GNR set where Axl sounds consistently good instead of 3.5 hours of Mickey vocals with spots of greatness. 'Quantity over quality' seems to be a theme of the NITL tour.

I enjoyed the last NITL Select though, the only song I thought was kinda weak was This I Love. Coma and Nov Rain don't sound like they did in the 90s but they're not bad at all. And I wish they used the Adler performances, but OTGM and My Michelle were still pretty damn good.

On 31/8/2020 at 1:52 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Hardschool is good, but the demo is almost twice as long as it needs to be. Cut out most of the intro and the bridge part (around 2:30) and it's a solid, quick rocker. It's not a song that needs to be more than 3 mins long.... there's only like 16 lines of vocals in the verses and the chorus is pretty short. :shrugs:

Always thought exactly the same, too much intro and too much bridge, cut that shit off, and u have a GREAT Single to pump the band up again. 

• Like 1

We all know what's wrong with this band and everything but i least i want to enjoy what we got. I was born in 94 and spent almost all of My life with Axl hating Slash. I never thought a reunion would happen. Everything could be better? Of course! But not so long ago this was a dream. 

Hoy many times did you watch OUT TA GET ME?!? 5928374936 times 😂

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

A lot of other (older) bands only play 90-120 minutes, to be fair. And honestly I'd prefer a 90-120 minute GNR set where Axl sounds consistently good instead of 3.5 hours of Mickey vocals with spots of greatness. 'Quantity over quality' seems to be a theme of the NITL tour.

I enjoyed the last NITL Select though, the only song I thought was kinda weak was This I Love. Coma and Nov Rain don't sound like they did in the 90s but they're not bad at all. And I wish they used the Adler performances, but OTGM and My Michelle were still pretty damn good.

I hear that argument a lot but I don't think the length of the performance effects Axl one way or the other.. A decent chunk of that time is taken up by Extended jams, intros, solos, Duff spot and just straight up long ass songs. The songs he sounds bad on he will sound bad on no matter if they were crammed into a 90 minute set or not. He doesn't really sound any worse as the show goes on.  There have been some really good Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain, My Michelle and Patience performances late in the shows. 

New Rose - Meh...
My Michelle - This one sounded decent.. Never been a big fan of the wheelchair videos though
COMA - This was pretty good. Axl sounded better than he usually does.. Gotta a little winded at the end but not as bad as usual
TIL - This song makes me feel weird.. I just don't get it
Out Ta Get Me - This one was almost shareable... Would have also loved to get one of the Adler ones instead 
November Rain - Axl sounded pretty good on this one for the most part.. 

Overall these are all still kind of stale.. Partly because this lineup has a stale vibe to it in general and partly because these videos still don't capture the live experience that would help cover up some of the short comings.. A little crowd noise and closeups of crazy fans rocking out would enhance the vibe a bit..

Also still wish someone would splice these performances up into individual songs. 

40 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I hear that argument a lot but I don't think the length of the performance effects Axl one way or the other.. A decent chunk of that time is taken up by Extended jams, intros, solos, Duff spot and just straight up long ass songs. The songs he sounds bad on he will sound bad on no matter if they were crammed into a 90 minute set or not. He doesn't really sound any worse as the show goes on.  There have been some really good Out Ta Get Me, Nightrain, My Michelle and Patience performances late in the shows. 

New Rose - Meh...
My Michelle - This one sounded decent.. Never been a big fan of the wheelchair videos though
COMA - This was pretty good. Axl sounded better than he usually does.. Gotta a little winded at the end but not as bad as usual
TIL - This song makes me feel weird.. I just don't get it
Out Ta Get Me - This one was almost shareable... Would have also loved to get one of the Adler ones instead 
November Rain - Axl sounded pretty good on this one for the most part.. 

Overall these are all still kind of stale.. Partly because this lineup has a stale vibe to it in general and partly because these videos still don't capture the live experience that would help cover up some of the short comings.. A little crowd noise and closeups of crazy fans rocking out would enhance the vibe a bit..

Also still wish someone would splice these performances up into individual songs. 

There's not that many songs they really 'have to' play IMO, there's about 5 from AFD + Nov Rain, KOHD and maybe LALD. They could easily fill out the rest of the show with songs that Axl can still sing well, there's no reason to play a 3.5 hour show if he's gonna struggle his way through Better or Yesterdays or whatever just so they can say they played a 3.5 hour show.

In the context of the NITL tour, I thought the last Selects video was really good. It's never gonna sound like the UYI lineup but it's good for what it is. I agree they should add more crowd noise though, and there's is kind of a 'too little, too late' element to these videos, but they gave us a proshot video of probably the best performance of Coma from the whole tour, so I'm happy with it lol.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, UncleJosh said:

Question for all those demanding new music. Can you name 1 band of GNR's stature that has released anything 30 years after their peak that was considered good by the majority of the audience. Not hardcore fans but the casuals who are the ones who make up the majority of the concert going and music buying audience?  I mean one band where they came out and played almost all new material 30 years later that the fans in audience were dying to hear or see.

Bob Dylan.

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

TIL never ever needs to be included in any more setlists. The vocals are crap and the lyrics are just cringe. Ive never understood why axls insists its a song being worthy to add. Its just a piss breakbreak/get another drink time. Replacing with michelle/OTGM would be more better.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's not that many songs they really 'have to' play IMO, there's about 5 from AFD + Nov Rain, KOHD and maybe LALD. They could easily fill out the rest of the show with songs that Axl can still sing well, there's no reason to play a 3.5 hour show if he's gonna struggle his way through Better or Yesterdays or whatever just so they can say they played a 3.5 hour show.

In the context of the NITL tour, I thought the last Selects video was really good. It's never gonna sound like the UYI lineup but it's good for what it is. I agree they should add more crowd noise though, and there's is kind of a 'too little, too late' element to these videos, but they gave us a proshot video of probably the best performance of Coma from the whole tour, so I'm happy with it lol.

Thats the problem. Its good for what it is but can be so much better. It seems their peers during the illusion lineup have just overtaken them. The band lacks a certain style.

Edited by Sydney Fan

18 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

TIL never ever needs to be included in any more setlists. The vocals are crap and the lyrics are just cringe. Ive never understood why axls insists its a song being worthy to add. Its just a piss breakbreak/get another drink time. Replacing with michelle/OTGM would be more better.

I disagree. Love the song.

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Exactly. Then I'd rather have a long show. The only thing to justify the extortionate ticket prices. It's not just a cash grab. They play twice as long as they would need to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I really like this last one. I skip the Duff songs but the rest was great. It wasn't perfect, but it still shows 2016 was way better than anything after

I really like Slash's GNR tone. Less sharp than his solo tour tones. Fits with GNR songs

The reason it's less sharp is because some of the high end is rolled off the overall mix. If you listed to the Japan Slash IEM recording you'll hear that it's just as bright as when he was touring with SMKC.

Don't get the 'Out Ta Get Me' hype here, if it was with Steven I'd go for it but Frank destroys the vibe, there's no power n' AFD groove in his drumming in that video.

It's official video, I suppose it can be posted. There's really interesting EP out there, Slash: iTunes Sessions from 2010. YouTube videos have some sheit quality, but you can find it on the web, check 'Rocket Queen' and listen to Fitz's drums. It can really open some eyes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

One of the few songs that has ever got any love from critics, and every-time I saw it live the crowd is cheering Axl on after any of the long held notes. 

Personally when the song is sang well, I love it! and in my opinion it could almost fit on UYI.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Aside from Robin's solo I've genuinely never cared for This I Love. It has always reminded me of one of those songs that pops up midway through a Disney Renaissance film when the main character faces the biggest struggle.

But that doesn't make it a bad song. I like that it's something you wouldn't quite expect in the context of a Guns N' Roses song.

3 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Don't get the 'Out Ta Get Me' hype here, if it was with Steven I'd go for it but Frank destroys the vibe, there's no power n' AFD groove in his drumming in that video.

It's official video, I suppose it can be posted. There's really interesting EP out there, Slash: iTunes Sessions from 2010. YouTube videos have some sheit quality, but you can find it on the web, check 'Rocket Queen' and listen to Fitz's drums. It can really open some eyes.

You get the point. Check It's So Easy with Foo Fighters and Axl Rose. Taylor Hawkins absoluty amazing on drums. What a energy. I don't like Franks drumming.

• Like 1