NITL live videos on youtube

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's probably my third favorite song on Appetite so that's kinda hard understand for me ;)

It's not a bad song but I wouldn't say it's a standout track either. I guess that says more about the quality of the rest of the album though... when it's surrounded by the other "side 1" tracks it gets overshadowed.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not a bad song but I wouldn't say it's a standout track either. I guess that says more about the quality of the rest of the album though... when it's surrounded by the other "side 1" tracks it gets overshadowed.

That's exactly how I feel too - "least favorite" songs on Appetite is an incredibly relative qualifier. Picking favorite songs on that album is like picking favorite kids. But, gun to my head, OTGM is near the bottom for me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That's exactly how I feel too - "least favorite" songs on Appetite is an incredibly relative qualifier. Picking favorite songs on that album is like picking favorite kids. But, gun to my head, OTGM is near the bottom for me. 

Exactly. It's probably my 3rd or 4th 'least favourite' but it's still on one of the best rock albums ever :lol:

Plus it's kinda similar to Nightrain or Rocket Queen in that it just had a different energy to it when they played it live.

• GNFNR 1

There are so many great tracks on this record that it's understandable when you say there are 9 or 10 songs you prefer on Appetite.  But I don't really get that energetic thing. 

I don't tell you not to feel how you feel abut that song :lol: I just think it's one of their best rocker and I get that energy live as well as in the studio.

In fact, after all these years it's like that

1. Nightrain

2. It's So Easy 

3. OTGM 

and then I'd start listing the hits and RQ as favorite AFD songs.

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

There are so many great tracks on this record that it's understandable when you say there are 9 or 10 songs you prefer on Appetite.  But I don't really get that energetic thing.

I don't skip it if I'm listening to the album, but I'd rather listen to the Live Era version or Ritz or something. I just think it's a better live song.

• Like 1

I saw Out Ta Get Me with 2006 Axl. I also saw There Was A Time in 2010. Sometimes I take such things for granted. :lol:

But seriously, Out Ta Get Me was a real highlight anytime it was played on NITL. Obviously the Adler ones are a highlight but it's one of the Appetite songs that Frank makes the least (if any) changes to so it was always top notch in 2016 with Axl's energy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

if Aliens landed on earth and asked me to show them the definition of what hard rock is all about i'd show them OTGM at the Ritz. From the speech, the venom it's played with to Slash stumbling over peoples heads in the front row it's got it all.

Yeah man, freaking awesome... People grabbing his guitar head and throwing it out of tune hahah. That is my all time favorite concert to watch. You need the visual though to see things like that.. If you are just listening to the audio they would sound very sloppy..

Out Ta Get Me Philly 88 is fucking great too... Also has a good intro but it is usually cut off online.. Maybe you can find it at the end of the previous song. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah man, freaking awesome... People grabbing his guitar head and throwing it out of tune hahah. That is my all time favorite concert to watch. You need the visual though to see things like that.. If you are just listening to the audio they would sound very sloppy..

Out Ta Get Me Philly 88 is fucking great too... Also has a good intro but it is usually cut off online.. Maybe you can find it at the end of the previous song. 

I think they even unplug him at the end of his solo :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

I saw Out Ta Get Me with 2006 Axl. I also saw There Was A Time in 2010. Sometimes I take such things for granted. :lol:

But seriously, Out Ta Get Me was a real highlight anytime it was played on NITL. Obviously the Adler ones are a highlight but it's one of the Appetite songs that Frank makes the least (if any) changes to so it was always top notch in 2016 with Axl's energy.

2006 gave me Out Ta Get Me and Think About You with Izzy. I mean, I appreciated it at the time....but looking back, yeah it's something great! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Thanks for the clarification! :-) Damn, what an incredibly cocky thing to say. He's not able to reproduce the complex guitar-work on CD and therefore decides to talk shit about it instead.

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Slash said that? And then he delivers that senseless noodling? Wow. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

This was posted a few weeks back, it's full of nuggets!

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Having a read of this and what he said about the CD album as another different beast  it comes across to me that slash thinks ofvCD as an axl solo record rather than a traditional GNR sounding record.

Though he was complimentary of BHs playing.

Would liked to know which songs he was constantly playing before rehearsals.  Im sure he would have been playing the illusion albums prior to rehearsals, keen to know how the illusion songs have held up in his mind.!.

Edited by Sydney Fan

"there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too that were being considered, but I jammed with Richard because he was the first guy there and I knew he was fuckin’ great" - that's the first time I've read it confirmed that those other than Fortus were being considered. I obviously missed this interview back in 2018! 

I agree with a lot of what he says about guitarists being technically great, but emotionally there's not much there. I get that a lot with guitar players, especially those ones you get sent viral links to from YouTube. They can always play really well.....but there's always something lacking. It's about more than technical ability. 

I do think though that there should be a special place in hell for anyone who uses "the cat in the hat" in relation to Slash. Absolutely cringe-worthy. 

2 hours ago, Nesret said:

Thanks for the clarification! :-) Damn, what an incredibly cocky thing to say. He's not able to reproduce the complex guitar-work on CD and therefore decides to talk shit about it instead.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Slash said that? And then he delivers that senseless noodling? Wow. 

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

That's what he said. Honestly he's kind of earned the right to say things like that because he's Slash. He's on a whole different level than the guys on CD as far as his status and influence goes.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Having a read of this and what he said about the CD album as another different beast  it comes across to me that slash thinks ofvCD as an axl solo record rather than a traditional GNR sounding record.

Though he was complimentary of BHs playing.

Would liked to know which songs he was constantly playing before rehearsals.  Im sure he would have been playing the illusion albums prior to rehearsals, keen to know how the illusion songs have held up in his mind.!.

It took that to mean that the production and guitar playing were way over the top, and that in order for him to play it he needed to find his place within it. He might consider it a solo record though... but he's never going to say that now😄

3 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I understand what you mean, but I respectfully disagree. Surely no one can question his legacy and what he did for this band and rock music in general, I'm with you. But that still doesn't give him the right to belittle the hard work of technically superior guitarists, it's disrespectful in my view, and the fact that he's on a "whole  different level" concerning status and influence makes it even more pathetic for me, not the opposite. In the end, it doesn't change the fact that he is and always was a great guitar player, no one can take that away from him and I will always love to listen to all of his GnR-stuff.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

It took that to mean that the production and guitar playing were way over the top, and that in order for him to play it he needed to find his place within it. He might consider it a solo record though... but he's never going to say that now😄

I agree with this. Honestly I don't think he was really all that interested in playing those songs except maybe CD and I think TIL is probably at the bottom of that list.