NITL live videos on youtube

Who fucking cares about Chinese's songs?! I really don't care how he plays them. I'd be totally fine if there wasn't any Chinese song on the setlist. I know is an Axl personal stand but it doesn't make any diference if they play ir or not. Instead i rather listen their old songs or new ones. Stop this shitty talk about Slash's take on Chinese

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Who fucking cares about Chinese's songs?! I really don't care how he plays them. I'd be totally fine if there wasn't any Chinese song on the setlist. I know is an Axl personal stand but it doesn't make any diference if they play ir or not. Instead i rather listen their old songs or new ones. Stop this shitty talk about Slash's take on Chinese

Well - I give enough of a damn re Chinese to pass comment....loads of folk do. CD will always be the ‘bastard child’ of the GNR catalogue but it’s part of it nonetheless. There are folk on here who have it as their favourite GNR album so I think it’s more than fair game to critique Slash’s take/approach.

And judging by recent comments the opinion wildly varies from him improving the majority of the stuff to butchering the stuff....it’s all good debate.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Telling us to stop talking about is the same as me telling you to leave the forum as you clearly do not want to discuss the band and its discography.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Good for you. 

I care about Chinese songs, and am quite happy to participate in a forum conversation regarding Slash playing them. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Telling us to stop talking about is the same as me telling you to leave the forum as you clearly do not want to discuss the band and its discography.

For me is just the singer of Guns N Roses. Yeah i know it's under the GNR name but that's not enough. Just 1 member , a whole different band and sound. I like some songs though but not GNR and i wouldn't mind if they don't play anything from it. Nice gesture of Slash and Duff learning them and from Axl doing Slither, but i don't mind that either. Seriously wouldn't You rather them playing deep cuts or old songs instead of the Chinese ones? Besides the greatest songs of the record TWAT and IRS don't get played

• Like 2

4 hours ago, agustingloger said:

For me is just the singer of Guns N Roses. Yeah i know it's under the GNR name but that's not enough. Just 1 member , a whole different band and sound. I like some songs though but not GNR and i wouldn't mind if they don't play anything from it. Nice gesture of Slash and Duff learning them and from Axl doing Slither, but i don't mind that either. Seriously wouldn't You rather them playing deep cuts or old songs instead of the Chinese ones? Besides the greatest songs of the record TWAT and IRS don't get played

Nope. The fewer 'old songs' the better in my view. Not that CD songs aren't old anyway of course. 

5 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I am with you. I would rather them play stuff from the classic era.. I don't know anyone outside these forums that likes or even knows any CD songs either.. 

The problem IMO is that Slash's work on stuff like TIL and Catcher is just not good. I would prefer if he stayed true to the originals, but I'm ok with him creating something entirely new. The thing is that he's obviously capable to deliver an awesome solo, maybe even better than the originals. Instead, he just play whatever, almost as if there was no real song structure or melody going on behind it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I despise that that bland throwaway SOYL is played but the mighty Crash Diet is forever ignored.

Crash Diet is overrated IMO. It's a West Arkeen song with some GNR members performing on it, but I don't think it was ever really considered to be a GNR song? At least SOYL was actually released by GNR and was performed live in the 80's. :shrugs:

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Crash Diet is overrated IMO. It's a West Arkeen song with some GNR members performing on it, but I don't think it was ever really considered to be a GNR song? At least SOYL was actually released by GNR and was performed live in the 80's. :shrugs:

Released by GNR but bland as fuck IMO. Guess it's just a matter of taste. Crash Diet was a West Arkeen track but was co-written by Axl, in fact his name appears first in the credits.

6 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Released by GNR but bland as fuck IMO. Guess it's just a matter of taste. Crash Diet was a West Arkeen track but was co-written by Axl, in fact his name appears first in the credits.

Well yea, SOYL was a b-side for a reason. But it makes sense that they'd play it instead of a 35 year old West Arkeen demo.

58 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The problem IMO is that Slash's work on stuff like TIL and Catcher is just not good. I would prefer if he stayed true to the originals, but I'm ok with him creating something entirely new. The thing is that he's obviously capable to deliver an awesome solo, maybe even better than the originals. Instead, he just play whatever, almost as if there was no real song structure or melody going on behind it.

Hit the nail on the head right there. If Slash wants to write a new solo to these songs, fair play. But he doesn't do that, he improvises them nightly, and it shows. All his solos on CD songs are meandering, boring, and pointless. I would honestly take Ashba's take on the TIL solo over damn near any rendition of it I've heard from Slash, and I don't say that lightly. But at least Ashba crafted the solo and made it his own thing, even if it sucked. Slash can't even put in the effort to do that. The lone exception to how I feel on his CD solos is the title track, that's fine. And not coincidentally, it's the one with the least improvisation. 

And this isn't me taking a shot at Slash. By and large, he's been the MVP of the NITL era IMO. There's a few bones I can pick, but his solos on the CD material is the big one. 

• Like 3

As a few have said, he ain't really that bothered with them, and he'd rather use that time to express whatever he wants, than quote something he can't relate to. No point in learning them.
That being said he kept the twat solo and he plays the same thing on Better almost every time.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Hit the nail on the head right there. If Slash wants to write a new solo to these songs, fair play. But he doesn't do that, he improvises them nightly, and it shows. All his solos on CD songs are meandering, boring, and pointless. I would honestly take Ashba's take on the TIL solo over damn near any rendition of it I've heard from Slash, and I don't say that lightly. But at least Ashba crafted the solo and made it his own thing, even if it sucked. Slash can't even put in the effort to do that. The lone exception to how I feel on his CD solos is the title track, that's fine. And not coincidentally, it's the one with the least improvisation. 

And this isn't me taking a shot at Slash. By and large, he's been the MVP of the NITL era IMO. There's a few bones I can pick, but his solos on the CD material is the big one. 

I agree with this! Each and every word! 

Also, his rhythm playing on the verses of Chinese is all over the place, it sounds like a guitar player who has a vague idea of the song just going for it... I mean, it doesn't take a genius to know that CD is not a jam record. Every part on the album, no matter how crazy somehow links together with something else.

Playing Chinese without the fretless just doesn't sound right to me though... I'm 10000% positive Gibson would have made him one, or one of the 100 companies Richard works with could have made him one... they definitely weren't short of space for bringing one or two extra guitars!! CD sounds like garbage live these days, tempo is too fast, crap vocals (probably not helped by the tempo), crap solos. I also hate Better these days too! I'd be in favour of them cutting the songs if they aren't going to play them to a good standard.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am with you. I would rather them play stuff from the classic era.. I don't know anyone outside these forums that likes or even knows any CD songs either.. 

I'm in favour of the CD songs being cut because the NITL band suck playing them😄

I will say however that replacing CD songs with classic deep cuts is really replacing like for like, when it comes to the masses - as far as what music people are actually familiar with. Does your average fan know and love 'The Garden'? or could they tell you that Street of dreams or TIL weren't on UYI? I doubt it! I also doubt that the reaction would be all that different if it's 'The garden' or if It's TWAT - few hardcore fans going mental, most others either politely bopping along, taking pictures of the band or going to the bar.

UYI sold millions more than CD, and it is far more famous and loved (no argument)... but we all know where the deep cuts sit with your average punter. If we're just talking about pleasing the hardcore GNR fan then it's a different story... but as you can see, some of the hardcore fans would want to hear rare CD songs too, so basically playing a bit of everything is actually the best of both worlds approach. As it stands nobody wins😄

54 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Playing Chinese without the fretless just doesn't sound right to me though... I'm 10000% positive Gibson would have made him one, or one of the 100 companies Richard works with could have made him one... they definitely weren't short of space for bringing one or two extra guitars!! 

I think it can work. I won't post the video here, but I recorded a cover of this song played in a regular fretted guitar and IMO sounded good enough for the rhythm guitar track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I think it can work. I won't post the video here, but I recorded a cover of this song played in a regular fretted guitar and IMO sounded good enough for the rhythm guitar track.

You should send the link to Slash :D You can definitely get into the ballpark (I have played it a few times too), but the fretted guitar just has a different sound and feel that you can't really get around. With a slide that's as close as I've heard it. Send me a link though, love to watch it :) 

I don't even think Slash knows where the ballpark is located though! swing and a miss!

• Like 1

I actually really like what Slash does with 'Chinese Democracy'. It's the best out of all the CD songs.

His renditions of 'This I Love 'and 'There Was A Time' & 'Catcher In The Rye' are absolutely dreadful to my ears. I have been extremely disappointed in Slash because of this. I had great expectations and he's shit the bed.

'Better' was a nice surprise, however Axl ruins it with his vocal delivery 99% of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I actually really like what Slash does with 'Chinese Democracy'. It's the best out of all the CD songs.

His renditions of 'This I Love 'and 'There Was A Time' & 'Catcher In The Rye' are absolutely dreadful to my ears. I have been extremely disappointed in Slash because of this. I had great expectations and he's shit the bed.

'Better' was a nice surprise, however Axl ruins it with his vocal delivery 99% of the time.

You can add axls crap vocals to TIL. It should be dropped from all future setlists.

• Like 1