Jump to content

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

 

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

 

That's what he said. Honestly he's kind of earned the right to say things like that because he's Slash. He's on a whole different level than the guys on CD as far as his status and influence goes.

Nah. Great guitar players other than Slash play great solos, TIL and the outro of Better are great solos, for him to diminish their work with this snub is offensive. IF he made something equal or better maybe my opinion would be slightly different but I think he waffled his way through those solos instead of taking some of the cool key themes Robin had.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riot shields or bust.  

Cant beleive its taken the band 3 months to do this, and Fernando only agreeing to do something like this when told to him directly by the fans. If GNR want to look at being a top tier band this

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Probably because he doesn't care about those songs.

Poor attitude to have if that's the case. If I really didn't want to play a song, and I have before (getting paid like €100 per night, not €100000🤣) I suck it up and find something to enjoy from playing the song! 

I don't think that's Slash's rationale though. I think he just wanted to put a big fat Slash stamp on the songs, and say "Who's your daddy, and what does he do". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly these guys are technically ahead of Slash however ‘technicality’ isn’t everything and Slash has proved you can create unreal/legendary/iconic solos without ripping up and down the frets. Estranged being the ultimate example.

That said however - where Ron/Bucket etc were technically better, they didn’t muck about with the pre-CD solos (not too much anyway) I’d guess out of respect to the source material/Slash himself and I do think it’s off that Slash plays stuff which is completely unrecognisable and inferior to what was played on CD. Loads of people love the solos on CD so to have them pretty much removed is a bit rubbish.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Clearly these guys are technically ahead of Slash however ‘technicality’ isn’t everything and Slash has proved you can create unreal/legendary/iconic solos without ripping up and down the frets. Estranged being the ultimate example.

That said however - where Ron/Bucket etc were technically better, they didn’t muck about with the pre-CD solos (not too much anyway) I’d guess out of respect to the source material/Slash himself and I do think it’s off that Slash plays stuff which is completely unrecognisable and inferior to what was played on CD. Loads of people love the solos on CD so to have them pretty much removed is a bit rubbish.

I understand both sides of the conversation, having enjoyed solos from both Slash and Robin/Bucket (maybe one or two from Bumble too) on official and leaked material.

My primary concern is the status of Robin and Bucket's solos on future released material. I am certain both have laid down some amazing guitar work. I'm hopeful some will make the record, but I understand the high potential of it all being re-recorded by the current band. If Slash did all or most of the Robin solos, and Richard did all of most of the Bucket solos, that could work. 

The drums are another story, I'm sure most of us are on the same page with the drums haha. I hope to God they keep most of Brain's stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I understand both sides of the conversation, having enjoyed solos from both Slash and Robin/Bucket (maybe one or two from Bumble too) on official and leaked material.

My primary concern is the status of Robin and Bucket's solos on future released material. I am certain both have laid down some amazing guitar work. I'm hopeful some will make the record, but I understand the high potential of it all being re-recorded by the current band. If Slash did all or most of the Robin solos, and Richard did all of most of the Bucket solos, that could work. 

The drums are another story, I'm sure most of us are on the same page with the drums haha. I hope to God they keep most of Brain's stuff.

Never understood how anybody could even think that we're gonna hear anybody but Slash and Fortus Longus on a new GnR album, if it's ever gonna happen. Imo, that's 100% not an option, because, Slash.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I understand both sides of the conversation, having enjoyed solos from both Slash and Robin/Bucket (maybe one or two from Bumble too) on official and leaked material.

My primary concern is the status of Robin and Bucket's solos on future released material. I am certain both have laid down some amazing guitar work. I'm hopeful some will make the record, but I understand the high potential of it all being re-recorded by the current band. If Slash did all or most of the Robin solos, and Richard did all of most of the Bucket solos, that could work. 

The drums are another story, I'm sure most of us are on the same page with the drums haha. I hope to God they keep most of Brain's stuff.

It’s almost guaranteed any solos will have been removed and replaced (without hearing any it’s hard to say if that is for better or worse). When the new stuff arrives and it has some material which has leaked before (Perhaps etc) or contains stuff we haven’t heard but then original demos leak then we can argue if it was better originally or replaced.

Whats not in doubt is Slash’s improvisation on the CD stuff is not as good as the originals.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Never understood how anybody could even think that we're gonna hear anybody but Slash and Fortus Longus on a new GnR album, if it's ever gonna happen. Imo, that's 100% not an option, because, Slash.

It's a possibility, however slight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I understand both sides of the conversation, having enjoyed solos from both Slash and Robin/Bucket (maybe one or two from Bumble too) on official and leaked material.

My primary concern is the status of Robin and Bucket's solos on future released material. I am certain both have laid down some amazing guitar work. I'm hopeful some will make the record, but I understand the high potential of it all being re-recorded by the current band. If Slash did all or most of the Robin solos, and Richard did all of most of the Bucket solos, that could work. 

The drums are another story, I'm sure most of us are on the same page with the drums haha. I hope to God they keep most of Brain's stuff.

You see, I don't mind if Slash replaces the solo on an unreleased song! I haven't grown attached to that version, I know it can change and I want him to put his stamp on music gnr are releasing while he's in the band! That makes sense to me.

Throwing out perfectly good officially released solos in their entirety for no good makes zero sense, even if he started the solo the same he could easily work in a phrase, or start with a key lick and then  add Slash in the middle... I didn't need to be "I'm here now" ego trip. But!! Also, If he didn't like the solos and he was completely unaware that fans of the album loved those solos (which he obviously was) I'm not surprised he changed it... I just wish he worked out a better roadmap instead of improvising new solos every night. End of the day a solo should serve the song and elevate things, Slash's playing served Slash and elevated him... I get that some people like that part of his playing, but I like the other side of his playing mixed with a little bit of improv.

I'd guess that most if not all of the album will be Frank for continuity. I think they should be trying to include as much of the current band as possible to ay least create the perception of a 'band'.

Edited by Tom2112
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

You see, I don't mind if Slash replaces the solo on an unreleased song! I haven't grown attached to that version, I know it can change and I want him to put his stamp on music gnr are releasing while he's in the band! That makes sense to me.

Throwing out perfectly good officially released solos in their entirety for no good makes zero sense, even if he started the solo the same he could easily work in a phrase, or start with a key lick and then  add Slash in the middle... I didn't need to be "I'm here now" ego trip. But!! Also, If he didn't like the solos and he was completely unaware that fans of the album loved those solos (which he obviously was) I'm not surprised he changed it... I just wish he worked out a better roadmap instead of improvising new solos every night. End of the day a solo should serve the song and elevate things, Slash's playing served Slash and elevated him... I get that some people like that part of his playing, but I like the other side of his playing mixed with a little bit of improv.

I understand your points, it will just bug me wondering how much better (if at all) previous solos were. 

We have a number of complete leaked songs that are presumed to be on the next album (Perhaps, Atlas, Hardschool) along with some instrumentals also expected to be completed and added to the album. I feel all of these songs have great guitar parts, and have trouble imagining Slash improving them.

Sort of like what Bumble did to Catcher and Riad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I understand your points, it will just bug me wondering how much better (if at all) previous solos were. 

We have a number of complete leaked songs that are presumed to be on the next album (Perhaps, Atlas, Hardschool) along with some instrumentals also expected to be completed and added to the album. I feel all of these songs have great guitar parts, and have trouble imagining Slash improving them.

Sort of like what Bumble did to Catcher and Riad. 

I would underestimate Slash, I think in the studio he might be a  it more studious. 

I'm sure some people heard Bumble in 2006 and thought he should be kept well away from CD recording sessions, but if you listen to.the demo of CD and then the finished track with him on it, he completely elevated it... so, I hold out hope that Slash could do the same! Some of his recent work has been brilliant, even if the last album was more of a swing and a miss.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I would underestimate Slash, I think in the studio he might be a  it more studious. 

I'm sure some people heard Bumble in 2006 and thought he should be kept well away from CD recording sessions, but if you listen to.the demo of CD and then the finished track with him on it, he completely elevated it... so, I hold out hope that Slash could do the same! Some of his recent work has been brilliant, even if the last album was more of a swing and a miss.

I loved Slash's work on his 2008 solo album. I hoping he has stuff like that up his sleeve.

Some of Bumble's work was good too, I won't disagree there. He is technically a very gifted player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Slash on 'Chinese Democracy' & 'Better. 

His work on 'There Was A Time' is extremely disappointing.

When they start doing live stuff again, I would love to hear his take on 'Street Of Dreams'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I like Slash on 'Chinese Democracy' & 'Better. 

His work on 'There Was A Time' is extremely disappointing.

When they start doing live stuff again, I would love to hear his take on 'Street Of Dreams'.

Thsts funny, I thought he was quite faithful to TWAT😄 Anx the exact opposite the others😄

Agree on Street of dreams. Happy to hear him put a new solo on that song, but the outro solo definitely should remain sparse no fast nonsense... please!! Doubt they'll play ot though, seems to be one Axl decided he couldn't deliver consistently anymore:shrugs:always thought he was good on that song though!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I like Slash on 'Chinese Democracy' & 'Better. 

His work on 'There Was A Time' is extremely disappointing.

When they start doing live stuff again, I would love to hear his take on 'Street Of Dreams'.

I almost feel the opposite. His There Was A Time solo was the only one he pretty much kept all the principle melodic content of, albeit Slashified, whereas the others he completely changed (granted, I like his solos on CD and Better).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Probably because he doesn't care about those songs.

This.

Hes only doing the songs to try and have a positive vibe amongst the band, rather than be straight up negative and say no, not interested. His answers seem to be he has zero care factor about CD.

Out of curiousity when the original solos were recorded was GNR with ex players recording an actual "band" or just treated as studio muscians by axl?.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Slash's solos on CD songs were perfectly fine, and far far from "disrespecting" the other guitarists who were on the CD studio material.  Are they a bit noodly sometimes? Sure, but when you are jamming out live in person at the show, what you get are some cool Slash licks you can rock out to and they come across great live

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every Slash version of the chi dem songs has been underwhelming and massively disappointing. The interview proves, if we needed any, that he doesn't care for the songs and has made no effort at all to replicate them live or even try to improve them, hence everyone here stating his noodling, which he of course is. I've seen serial killers do less damage than slash's take on 'this i love'. Now that was a murder, call the police! Fincks is brilliant and ashbas was faithful and still fit the feel.

However I have no doubt IF we do get new GnR music in the studio, slash will nail it and find the right feel for the new songs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Every Slash version of the chi dem songs has been underwhelming and massively disappointing. The interview proves, if we needed any, that he doesn't care for the songs and has made no effort at all to replicate them live or even try to improve them, hence everyone here stating his noodling, which he of course is. I've seen serial killers do less damage than slash's take on 'this i love'. Now that was a murder, call the police! Fincks is brilliant and ashbas was faithful and still fit the feel.

However I have no doubt IF we do get new GnR music in the studio, slash will nail it and find the right feel for the new songs. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, Slash’s take on the CD songs is pretty cool. Sure, he goes off occasionally, but he’s great in general. Given he tends to improvise a lot and probably would get bored playing exactly the same notes every gig (this is not SCOM, where you have to go by the book), and considering these are not his own songs, I have no problem with his versions. I’m sure the NuGuns members had quite a different, less free regime, so to speak, especially in the first years after the release; but that’s not his case. He’s cool, man. 
 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, and I know it's a very unpopular opinion, Slash improved TIL with his takes in 2016 and he improved CD. His take on Better is good but not as good as Fincks studio version. He fucked up TWAT most of the time but killed it in Madison Square Garden in 2017.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

In my opinion, and I know it's a very unpopular opinion, Slash improved TIL with his takes in 2016 and he improved CD. His take on Better is good but not as good as Fincks studio version. He fucked up TWAT most of the time but killed it in Madison Square Garden in 2017.

Agreed on the 2016 TIL solo. The suspending of the beginning note fits the song better than the original.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...