NITL live videos on youtube

5 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

Great post! You're absolutely right. My complaints were more specifically about how they sound as a band. Specifically playing everything too fast, having timing issues, tuning issues, and generally sounding chugging without any of that gnr swing. That's not to mention the obvious of Axl sounding like a caricature at times. And the mixes are doing them no favors. I was always a fan of Caram's work but Jesus dude these Selects are mixed embarrassingly. 

But you're absolutely right. They were still riding the momentum even after a noticeable drop in quality in 2017 and that would have been the perfect time to take a pause and come out with new material. 

Had the band wanted to end the NITL with the LA dates, they could have been coy about any plans for 2018.

Then on new years day 2018 they could have put on  their social media "Guns N Roses a new dawn begins"

Maybe a thankyou to the fans for attending the shows and maybe a little tidbit they are working on new music , to keep the momentum going.

19 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The 16 and 17 shows had some ups and downs but mostly good. When the band started the 18 tour in Europe the wheels started falling off then, and were never consistantly good. Especially berlin.

Then we get to late 2019 with big axl, with the fruitbowl haircut that reminded me of elvis's vegas gigs before the end of his life.

Hearing the LA 17 shows as the last of the shows was a long setlist, and would have been an excellent way to end the tour and work on a new record beginning 2018.

This pretty much nails it. I saw them in mid-2017 in London and it was awesome...even if vocally it wasn’t amazing. Latter 2017 onwards and it’s a gradual decline.

No idea why 2018/2019 NITL gigs had to happen as these selects don’t show them in a good light. Interesting hat the editing and camera work suggests there was more than the normal cameras however I can’t imagine many folk would be thrilled over a 2019 official release (apart from perhaps folk at those particular shows).

All this just highlights how strong the 2016 stuff is and it’s THAT material which should be used to officially document the tour - band on fire, great vocals....just riding on the adrenaline and excitement of the early stages of the tour.

Edited by DTJ80

2 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Thing is All said he used the clean voice in 2002 as that's what he wanted Chinese to sound like vocal wise 

So if there not gonna release anything, then surely it would make sense to arrange a tour schedule that would help Axl push the rasp more, once or twice a week? 

Or they can release an album 

At least his clean voice in 2002 had some body behind it! His current voice sounds frail! 

It would absolutely make more sense to play only what he can consistently pull off vocally. There's a reason bands as they get older stop doing consecutive dates... but GNR don't seem to care about putting on mediocre shows.

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

At least his clean voice in 2002 had some body behind it! His current voice sounds frail! 

It would absolutely make more sense to play only what he can consistently pull off vocally. There's a reason bands as they get older stop doing consecutive dates... but GNR don't seem to care about putting on mediocre shows.

It’s that age old debate of changing the setlist, changing tunings, shortening the setlist, reducing number of gigs etc. There is a multitude of things which could be done.....however......

• Like 1

Still on the liiii......

A lot of criticism here and it is merited. While I appreciate the effort put into these long overdue ‘NITL Selects’, there should have been more effort put into highlighting the best performances of the tour - there are many beyond 2016 - that show all of the band in top form as opposed to showcasing footage that isn’t kind to Axl’s vocal approach to some of the songs. You could argue that it’s ridiculous that I even have that mentality, as ‘Axl should be putting in the effort to get back to his best‘ yada yada, but I don’t know what happens behind closed doors and it’s been stated previously of the rigorous warm ups/warm downs that Axl does religiously. 
I remember Tommy saying in 2011/12 that Axl was singing better than ever due to how much he was on top of his craft and the techniques he has learned over the years, that always stuck out for me, as I’m a big fan of Axl’s clean voice but he hasn’t sounded strong when using it for a number of years and performances like that rendition of Civil War doesn’t do him justice. I remember when the 2019 shows kicked off, the reviews on his vocals, not set list, were somewhat favorable as it appeared he’d obviously been chanting for a while previously which led to speculation of him doing vocals for an album. Excluding AC/DC, 2016 is one of my favorite years for Axl’s voice and whatever he done to get to that standard did wonders for him. Hopefully he uses this time off to lay low, get finishing an album and getting into the best possible version of himself to do the material justice in a live setting and make our support all worthwhile. 

...iiiiiiiiyiiiiiiine

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:15 AM, janrichmond said:

I can't imagine anyone watching these selects and thinking 'gotta get tickets' Retire the band now, Axl can release (lol) crooning piano based music, he can't sing rock anymore. 

I bought tickets for Australia, watched this, then regretted my decision, lol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, James Bond said:

AC/DC put out a comeback album that went straight to number one. But you're right, this would be a ridiculous time to release new music.

There's a difference between new music from a band that's been releasing music on a semi steady basis since forever and has very little to prove to anyone and a comeback album from a band that broke up decades ago and miraculously made a reunion, and has been the butt of a joke for decades and has everything to prove to the world.

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

There's a difference between new music from a band that's been releasing music on a semi steady basis since forever and has very little to prove to anyone and a comeback album from a band that broke up decades ago and miraculously made a reunion, and has been the butt of a joke for decades and has everything to prove to the world.

What difference does it make? If the album is done then releasing it now or releasing it in a year isn't going to change what the songs sound like or the perception of those songs. It'll be a big enough deal in itself that the band actually managed to release something.

So what they can't tour? No bands can right now. Plenty of other artists are taking full advantage of releasing extra material while people are sitting at home itching for new things to listen to. The pandemic is just the latest in the line-up of excuses. All they need to prove is that they can function as a working band. The pandemic isn't an obstacle at all for releasing new music. Just another excuse for laziness from the walking joke that is their manager and the passive singer who can't be bothered.

42 minutes ago, James Bond said:

What difference does it make? If the album is done then releasing it now or releasing it in a year isn't going to change what the songs sound like or the perception of those songs. It'll be a big enough deal in itself that the band actually managed to release something.

So what they can't tour? No bands can right now. Plenty of other artists are taking full advantage of releasing extra material while people are sitting at home itching for new things to listen to. The pandemic is just the latest in the line-up of excuses. All they need to prove is that they can function as a working band. The pandemic isn't an obstacle at all for releasing new music. Just another excuse for laziness from the walking joke that is their manager and the passive singer who can't be bothered.

Don't act dumb. You know darn well that albums are used to promote tours and there's no better album to promote a GNR tour than the GNR comeback album. It makes zero sense to release it now of all times and let all the hype go to waste. There's a vaccine coming and there's a good chance that things might go back to normal within a couple of years. Why on earth should GNR release their most important album at the worst possible time, just because you want the album now and because some other artists are releasing their not so important albums right now.?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Don't act dumb. You know darn well that albums are used to promote tours and there's no better album to promote a GNR tour than the GNR comeback album. It makes zero sense to release it now of all times and let all the hype go to waste. There's a vaccine coming and there's a good chance that things might go back to normal within a couple of years. Why on earth should GNR release their most important album at the worst possible time, just because you want the album now and because some other artists are releasing their not so important albums right now.?

I'd argue a new Taylor Swift album is a way more 'important' album release to the industry from a financial point of view, to the amount of people who are interested in it, the amount of people who will buy it and (arguably) culturally too, as she's current and relevant to more people. It's only in our little bubble that we see a new GNR album as so important. It won't set the world on fire sales wise, or be of note to as many people as anything the likes of Taylor Swift are doing now. All this stuff about it being such an 'important' album it's release should be treated with the sort of reverence normally applied to momentus theological events is just nonsense. It matters to us.....to most people it will be less 'important' than many other albums. 

I'm interested to know what your view will be should touring resume and there is no new album? An awful lot of expectation is being placed on the album arriving when touring resumes. When it doesn't, what will you think? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd argue a new Taylor Swift album is a way more 'important' album release to the industry from a financial point of view, to the amount of people who are interested in it, the amount of people who will buy it and (arguably) culturally too, as she's current and relevant to more people. It's only in our little bubble that we see a new GNR album as so important. It won't set the world on fire sales wise, or be of note to as many people as anything the likes of Taylor Swift are doing now. All this stuff about it being such an 'important' album it's release should be treated with the sort of reverence normally applied to momentus theological events is just nonsense. It matters to us.....to most people it will be less 'important' than many other albums. 

I'm interested to know what your view will be should touring resume and there is no new album? An awful lot of expectation is being placed on the album arriving when touring resumes. When it doesn't, what will you think? 

Even T Swizzle is seen as a dinosaur at this point. Imagine what that makes GNR

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Even T Swizzle is seen as a dinosaur at this point. Imagine what that makes GNR

Haha- maybe yeah! She's had a lot of albums for sure! Point of the matter is though that she sells a shit ton. And, shock horror, managed to do it without a tour, during lockdown! As did numerous others. But they're not 'important'' like GNR apparently! 

Swifts Folklore is rightly celebrated for its pandemic era sales. But I think some of the nuances are lost when discussing it as it relates/compares to what other artists could expect.

1) She released it digital only for the first 2 weeks and her streams actually out-performed her sales by a zillion. I think Guns digital sales would out perform streams. M

2) Many of what is counted as "album sales" are in fact "Album-equivilent units" meaning people downloaded a handful of songs enough times to be counted as an album sale. Think if you bought the advance single for a new Guns release and that figure is then divided by 10 and added to the album sales.

3) If Guns made us all buy digital first and then many of us would 'have' to also get a physical copy later, people would be ready to burn TB. We would revolt! But thats what Swift did and shes being celebrated for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

"Their most important album" :lol:

Dude... GNR are not a relevant band. They're a legacy act, and while several thousand people will be happy if they release a new album, it's not gonna change anything. It's not gonna set the music world on fire. People will still be going to the shows to hear SCOM, KOHD, etc. (well, maybe not if they've seen any of the NITL selects). The band has lost all the momentum they had 4 years ago and any new music they release won't be nearly as "important" as you seem to think it will be.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You missed the point entirely. Taylor Swifts new album is not as important for her as the new GNR album is for GNR. That's what I'm talking about. She's been releasing new albums on a steady basis and she will do so in the future as well. If her newest album is dud, it's no big deal. She'll make a new album soon and that's it. It's just one album among many of her albums. GNR's comeback album is a whole different thing, The next GNR album is something that tons of people have been waiting for decades now. It will be analyzed way more than any Taylor Swift album. The next GNR album is in many ways a make or break album for how GNR will be viewed as a band in the future. It's gonna be the album that defines for many if the band is a has been nostalgia act or if it's still a relevant band in the rock scene. The next album will set the tone for the future of GNR. In that sense it is, if not their most important album, definitely one of their most important albums.

To be honest I think it's pretty obvious that the next GNR album will be culturally more important than the most recent Taylor Swift album. Clearly some people here are underestimating the relevance of GNR. You only need to look at the most streamed songs of all times, Taylor Swift is nowhere to be seen in the top 200. GNR is: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1RTENWq73MEx1Pop40ZZ5S

You're living in a bubble if you think that the artists that the media talks about the most currently, are the most culturally important artists. The thing about pop music in general is, that they're relevant now, but in a couple of decades most pop stars are forgotten. GNR's music is much more timeless than some people here give them credit for, because they're afraid that they'll sound like biased fanboys. No, it's a FACT that GNR is one of the rare bands that after decades, still has songs in the top 500 most streamed songs of all times. Not even Michael Jackson has a song in the top 200 most streamed songs of all times, like GNR does. Sweet Child O Mine is a more streamed song than Billie Jean is. So what does that say about pop music, if even the king of pop can't beat the most popular GNR song? Do you think Taylor Swifts music is more timeless than Michael Jacksons music or how do you think she will beat GNR in cultural importance?

GNR's music has proven to stand the test of time better than most music. So it's only logical to assume that after 5 decades people will still talk about GNR, but by then most people have forgotten Taylor Swift. So obviously the comeback album of GNR will be culturally more important than some random Taylor Swift album, because people will still talk about GNR after decades. All we need to do is to look at the streaming numbers. The music of GNR has stood the test of time well, and it's logical to assume that it will continue to do so.

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm interested to know what your view will be should touring resume and there is no new album?

That would obviously suck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"Their most important album" :lol:

Dude... GNR are not a relevant band. They're a legacy act, and while several thousand people will be happy if they release a new album, it's not gonna change anything. It's not gonna set the music world on fire. People will still be going to the shows to hear SCOM, KOHD, etc. (well, maybe not if they've seen any of the NITL selects). The band has lost all the momentum they had 4 years ago and any new music they release won't be nearly as "important" as you seem to think it will be.

Read my reply above. When you look at streaming numbers, GNR has proven to stand the test of time better than most bands or artists out there. So it's only logical to assume that people will be talking about GNR in the distant future as well, unlike most of these current artists that people call "relevant" today. So how do you define being relevant? Is a band that people will talk about decades from now less relevant than artists that the media talks about now, but who will be forgotten decades from now? I'd say that the band that people will be talking about decades from now is more relevant.

I'm not being a fanboy here. I'm just looking at facts and making logical assumptions based on that. Axl is aware of the bands legacy. He knows that people will compare their new songs to their classic songs that are still some of the most streamed songs out there. So there's a ridiculous amount of pressure to make the album good.

The fact that the band has lost all the momentum they had 4 years ago only makes their next album more important. Sure, people will always come to their shows to hear SCOM and other classics, but they may not be able to fill stadiums for long, unless they gain new momentum. A great comeback album would be the best promotion for a new tour, so what would be the point in releasing it now, when they can't even tour? 

24 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

You missed the point entirely. Taylor Swifts new album is not as important for her as the new GNR album is for GNR. That's what I'm talking about. She's been releasing new albums on a steady basis and she will do so in the future as well. If her newest album is dud, it's no big deal. She'll make a new album soon and that's it. It's just one album among many of her albums. GNR's comeback album is a whole different thing, The next GNR album is something that tons of people have been waiting for decades now. It will be analyzed way more than any Taylor Swift album. The next GNR album is in many ways a make or break album for how GNR will be viewed as a band in the future. It's gonna be the album that defines for many if the band is a has been nostalgia act or if it's still a relevant band in the rock scene. The next album will set the tone for the future of GNR. In that sense it is, if not their most important album, definitely one of their most important albums.

To be honest I think it's pretty obvious that the next GNR album will be culturally more important than the most recent Taylor Swift album. Clearly some people here are underestimating the relevance of GNR. You only need to look at the most streamed songs of all times, Taylor Swift is nowhere to be seen in the top 200. GNR is: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1RTENWq73MEx1Pop40ZZ5S

You're living in a bubble if you think that the artists that the media talks about the most currently, are the most culturally important artists. The thing about pop music in general is, that they're relevant now, but in a couple of decades most pop stars are forgotten. GNR's music is much more timeless than some people here give them credit for, because they're afraid that they'll sound like biased fanboys. No, it's a FACT that GNR is one of the rare bands that after decades, still has songs in the top 500 most streamed songs of all times. Not even Michael Jackson has a song in the top 200 most streamed songs of all times, like GNR does. Sweet Child O Mine is a more streamed song than Billie Jean is. So what does that say about pop music, if even the king of pop can't beat the most popular GNR song? Do you think Taylor Swifts music is more timeless than Michael Jacksons music or how do you think she will beat GNR in cultural importance?

GNR's music has proven to stand the test of time better than most music. So it's only logical to assume that after 5 decades people will still talk about GNR, but by then most people have forgotten Taylor Swift. So obviously the comeback album of GNR will be culturally more important than some random Taylor Swift album, because people will still talk about GNR after decades. All we need to do is to look at the streaming numbers. The music of GNR has stood the test of time well, and it's logical to assume that it will continue to do so.

That would obviously suck.

No one can say where Taylor Swift will be in a few decades time, so your point is fairly irrelevant. She could well stand the test of time and be listened to forany many years. Saying 'most people will have forgotten her' is just speculation, probably based on your personal taste.

At the moment though it's willfully blind to suggest a new album from GNR will be cared about by too many people. 

It's 2020, not 1991. To most people it will be an album by some aging rockers who had a few hits in the 80s and 90s that they know from their local kareoke nights. 

Whether you, me, or anyone else likes it....that's the truth of the matter. GNR are as culturally relevant as Billy Joel or Whitesnake to most normal people. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Then why wasn't it announced ahead of the latest cash grab? They played the first show of "the next chapter" and had nothing new to show for it. You are greatly overstating the importance of this album for a tour. As much as us diehard fans are desperate for new music, it's not like it is needed for them to sell tickets (although they need to drastically drop prices in North America where it has clearly become a stale market from how long this tour has gone on). Sure, new music will help boost something different but at the end of the day the casuals will just go for the hits one way or another.

It's not acting dumb to realistically predict that when Guns resumes touring that there will be an album. They'll be on to the next excuse. It's lame enough that the band/band management are full of them while continuing to offer nothing but mediocrity be it terrible merchandise, lackluster tour footage, and nothing else in sight. Yeah they announced Australia but that's not at all surprising as that appears to be the first place that concerts will be able to resume.

That comes as no surprise at all. This endless touring gauntlet wants to respect what's going on in the world but wastes no time announcing yet another tour.

Don't get me wrong - I'll eat all my words and pre-order a new album when (if) it ever happens, but there is absolutely no certainty that there was ever going to be an album this year. 

Music critics and fans alike are quite literally saying AC/DC saved 2020. Hyperbole obviously, but it shows what some badass new music can do to bring people together when it's most needed and these same people will be buying tickets for the next AC/DC tour.

• Like 3