NITL live videos on youtube

20 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Just watched this / skipped through this. You can hear Melissa's "oooooh" backing vocals on SOYL exactly like the new studio version. Off topic I know but I'm convinced she sings on that (and Frank on drums).

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Do you like the version of SOYL they released? if so, who cares if they did get Melissa to sing on it and Frank to drum on it! if anything it's a positive, meaning they successfully snuck into the studio without anyone knowing and recorded... that's hope! 🤣 

I know the problem you have is that they are suggesting this is 100% the old version, with just a new mix and master. I just see the positives because if this is what the current band can sound like in the studio I'm pleasantly surprised!

I've been saying this for years haha.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The comments across the board be it social media or articles linking to the videos from this round are absolutely brutal. Even the blind followers seem to have turned. Well done, Fernando.

An absolute mauling. Widespread derision. I'm surprised that it was this one that has attracted it, but it seems to have been picked up by a few major places for some reason.

And......we're back to where we were a few years ago. GNR seen as a laughing stock. Pretty fucking annoying. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

An absolute mauling. Widespread derision. I'm surprised that it was this one that has attracted it, but it seems to have been picked up by a few major places for some reason.

And......we're back to where we were a few years ago. GNR seen as a laughing stock. Pretty fucking annoying. 

And this is the thing - we are all fans here and so want the absolute best in the same way we would for our sports teams etc. It’s not fun when supporters of other bands etc lay into GNR......it’s galling to see everyone having a go at this video....but we know that it’s merited (for a number of reasons) and was completely avoidable.

All we can hope for now is either a Dodger Blu-Ray release or some other kick-ass 2016 Selects as damage limitation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

And this is the thing - we are all fans here and so want the absolute best in the same way we would for our sports teams etc. It’s not fun when supporters of other bands etc lay into GNR......it’s galling to see everyone having a go at this video....but we know that it’s merited (for a number of reasons) and was completely avoidable.

All we can hope for now is either a Dodger Blu-Ray release or some other kick-ass 2016 Selects as damage limitation.

That's it entirely. I've long been laughed at by friends for my long-term love of GNR....and things like this, well, as fans we could do without it! I used to spend a lot of my (drunken) time trying to convince them of the merits of GNR to no avail! 

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's it entirely. I've long been laughed at by friends for my long-term love of GNR....and things like this, well, as fans we could do without it! I used to spend a lot of my (drunken) time trying to convince them of the merits of GNR to no avail! 

I get that - back in the day I had those same conversations....😂. At least then what we were arguing for was legitimately awesome......☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Crazy because management are obviously aware of where ticket sales were just before Covid hit. Any logical management would think "Oh shit, we need to make some changes and quick!!". And I'm not saying that Fernando should have pulled Axl by the ear into the studio, that is really beyond his control! What he could have done was, promptly make sure people knew where they stood with refunds (great PR). Then release video of the band at their peak on the NITL tour, show them killing it and the crowds going crazy! SA shows! Get people excited to buy tickets again. Nobody watching these and commenting underneath is excited to see GNR again, and that's a hard thing to undo now! They have successfully screwed the pooch with any upcoming dates.

Self sabotage... it's so negligent it's almost comical. I could understand them releasing one bad video package, but each one had a terrible mix, and almost every one had awful vocals with some minor exceptions. If it was my band and my legacy I would seriously be looking at new management who would take care of these things. And yes, the band should sound good every night, but reality is they are hit and miss!! TB can't all be deaf. They say "we're a family" well if you truly cared about your family and you hated seeing people mock Axl or take shots at the rest of the entourage you would avoid things that gave ammunition to the "haters". In my mind there's no question that TB should be removed from their position. 

The only possible way to save things is Axl sounding absolutely incredible when they come back, and they stream the show and let the news sites run it. The next thing is to get Axl, Slash and Duff out do an interview together, and answer 1 or 2 awkward questions! They don't even have to be in the same room anymore! they can do it over zoom AND they can screen the questions beforehand.

• Like 1

I ended up watching it today, and it just makes me more frustrated. I actually think the band sounds really good in most of these, and the mix in this one rocks imo. Its just Axl that ruins it. It makes me want a full show from 2016 that much more. We should have one decent full reunion concert archived on video. We are jaded now, but that was the best year to be a GNR fan in decades.

Axl aside, I can tolerate SOYL and Knocking on this release. I actually like Knocking, Fortus sounds killer on it (I even miss his NuGNR intro). SOYL isn't amazing, but it is totally passable for a 2019 GNR recording. 

Live and Let Die is rough. I don't care much for it, anyways, since it is just a cover they play pretty straight forward. Still, it was one of the highlights in 2016. Remember those crazy versions in Vegas and Detroit? Why the fuck is this being put out instead? I would actually regularly watch those because their vocal performances were so good.

Black Hole Sun is a disaster and a slog. It was a nice gesture when Chris Cornell died, but it did not need to stay in regular rotation, especially since Axl cannot sing it.

Paradise City is a train wreck. Axl always struggles with it, and this is definitely not a version he does alright on. Slash also plays a pretty bad solo at the end, which is a weird because he has played it so many times over the years. Definitely not up to par with his HoF 2012 solo on it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I posted a few weeks back about GNRs legacy and how it’s not being cared for.....this video (and the choices of much of these Selects) is a perfect example of not thinking/caring about how the band will be perceived. Just a total shitshow and PR disaster really.

Yep, you can see the video selections metallica have been doing, showing videos across the different years. They care more about their legacy than GNR do.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

For a band that was already struggling to sell tickets before the pandemic, these videos are probably the worst promotion they could've possibly done. They are dangerously close to Motley Crue meme status at this point.

I see no difference in singjng ability and looks between axl and vince meal at this point.

Money aside, I sometimes wonder if slash thinks to himself was GNR worth coming back to?.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep, you can see the video selections metallica have been doing, showing videos across the different years. They care more about their legacy than GNR do.

I see no difference in singjng ability and looks between axl and vince meal at this point.

Money aside, I sometimes wonder if slash thinks to himself was GNR worth coming back to?.

Lars said something recently that even when MetallicA itself is done....he will never be done with it as he will the be in curator mode to take care of the legacy. Seeing as MetallicA are my other main band - that’s awesome to hear (but in no way surprised either).

If only GNR and it’s management could do the same. The online community is doing a better job with this! I just can’t get my head around the ‘perfectionism’ which supposedly stops material from being released but performances such as we have seen in some of these Selects don't tie in with that. I do wonder how much the ‘big 3’ even see of these videos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

For Slash there isn't really a downside to this. He is getting paid zillions and gets to be the Guns N' Roses guitarist, again. Even though it's a completely different band with Micky Mouse cult management, that title means something for Slash's brand. Plus, he still gets to do the same thing he was doing before with SMKC. Instead of an album every 2 years, it's every 3 or 4 and instead of touring a zillion dates with them, it's a zillion dates for a zillion dollars more with GNR. 

Axl sounding bad or not, that is a no brainier deal for him. I'm sure he wants to put out a GNR record, but he still gets a creative outlet with his solo albums and it's better to just not worry about the extra drama making music with Axl would bring

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Lars said something recently that even when MetallicA itself is done....he will never be done with it as he will the be in curator mode to take care of the legacy. Seeing as MetallicA are my other main band - that’s awesome to hear (but in no way surprised either).

If only GNR and it’s management could do the same. The online community is doing a better job with this! I just can’t get my head around the ‘perfectionism’ which supposedly stops material from being released but performances such as we have seen in some of these Selects don't tie in with that. I do wonder how much the ‘big 3’ even see of these videos.

I often wonder if SMKC did one of these proshots from a recent tour whether slash would post it on his twitter page......but doesnt of one of of the GNR ones.

On a side note, im really looking forward to the 30th annivrrsary of the black album this year. No doubt metallica will do something big for the fans. Im sure theres shitloads of pro-footage of their 91to 93 shows.

Edited by Sydney Fan

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I often wonder if SMKC did one of these proshots from a recent tour whether slash would post it on his twitter page......but doesnt of one of of the GNR ones.

On a side note, im really looking forward to the 30th annivrrsary of the black album this year. No doubt metallica will do something big for the fans. Im sure theres shitloads of pro-footage of their 91to 93 shows.

Slash posted about the LTD DVD when that was coming out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Their Deluxe editions of KEM, RTL and MOP are quality - I have the AJFA one but not actually opened it yet but know by the contents it’s quality. I agree with you - Black will be a tremendous set and I’d suggest there will be few complaints over its contents.....they have the balance of live gigs/music/memorabilia spot on IMO. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Metallica take very good care of their fan base. The remasters are just one example of them doing it 1000 times better than GNR. The black album boxset will be monstrous! and it won't cost you your house and life-savings like the AFD box😄 

• Like 1