NITL live videos on youtube

11 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

True, but if the drummer is told "play at this speed" and he's the employee and they are the boss? I mean, Frank plays some stuff that I don't like, but I think we all know that Slash and Duff are the captains of how the band sound, and they want the songs played up a few bpm. When Stinson ran the ship, the band played slower and tighter; Frank was still playing stuff people didn't like, but the tempo was pretty rock solid for the most part.

I hear ya. I’m not a musician, so I’m not cluttered by all the technicalities ;) ha

Then Slash and the Duff need to speak up! I always wonder.. what is going through their heads when they hear those vocals during live performances. Think I know.. $$$$

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

I hear ya. I’m not a musician, so I’m not cluttered by all the technicalities ;) ha

Then Slash and the Duff need to speak up! I always wonder.. what is going through their heads when they hear those vocals during live performances. Think I know.. $$$$

Slash has Axl's vocals mixed way down in his IEM.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

True, but if the drummer is told "play at this speed" and he's the employee and they are the boss? I mean, Frank plays some stuff that I don't like, but I think we all know that Slash and Duff are the captains of how the band sound, and they want the songs played up a few bpm. When Stinson ran the ship, the band played slower and tighter; Frank was still playing stuff people didn't like, but the tempo was pretty rock solid for the most part.

I don't buy that Duff and Slash told him to play so fast because in SMKC he's never played GnR songs that fast, it was always around the recorded tempo. Even on the last tour (after NITL had been going on for 2 years) the 2 GnR songs they played were RQ and Nightrain and they were always the regular tempo. If he wanted to do it so much faster don't you think he would've done it in SMKC also?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't buy that Duff and Slash told him to play so fast because in SMKC he's never played GnR songs that fast, it was always around the recorded tempo. Even on the last tour (after NITL had been going on for 2 years) the 2 GnR songs they played were RQ and Nightrain and they were always the regular tempo. If he wanted to do it so much faster don't you think he would've done it in SMKC also?

So then it's Duff that wants it "so" fast. For sure it ain't the hired, employee drummer, that decides how to play it.

19 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That list was legit. Some had it several years prior to the Village leaks in '19, and the list contained Perhaps, Nothin, and Tonto.

On another forum, someone mentioned Axl playing CD songs for them in Axl's car back in 2003, one of which was "100 Cuban Skies" and the first song on that leaked list is Cuban Skies.

I can't remember about the second paragraph, but the first one is true, the setlist contained those songs many years before we even knew.

18 hours ago, Dean said:

Was that the one with the multiple versions of Knockin'? I don't have it handy, I've not seen it in about 10 years but until something comes from the horses mouth, it's best to take everything with a pinch of salt. Steve Hoffman's forum was when the chap made reference to Cuban Skies. Pretty cool story too.

That's the one.

7 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

So then it's Duff that wants it "so" fast. For sure it ain't the hired, employee drummer, that decides how to play it.

1 hour ago, PirateRadio said:

Just to be clear about the tempo, I believe the drummer plays some songs way too fast, and despite what AXL, Slash, and/or Duff think about it, the issue was never addressed.. just my thoughts. 04/08/16, I seen it with my own eyes and was like....SLOW DOWN!!

I think at that point they didn't really care, plus in 2016 they didn't think the tour would go past August or so. Because yeah, at the Vegas shows a lot of the songs were way too fast.

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Maybe Slash/Duff didn't say it, I can't say for sure. It's just when I compare the band from 2014 to the band of 2016 the change is noticeable, especially Frank. Also Duff and Slash definitely do decide the sound of the band now, which was discussed in the Frank interviews. It could be just Frank, and the guys just don't care because the moneys so good.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Maybe Slash/Duff didn't say it, I can't say for sure. It's just when I compare the band from 2014 to the band of 2016 the change is noticeable, especially Frank. Also Duff and Slash definitely do decide the sound of the band now, which was discussed in the Frank interviews. It could be just Frank, and the guys just don't care because the moneys so good.

I think Frank just passed the blame to them, but I don't think that's what really happened.

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

I think Frank just passed the blame to them, but I don't think that's what really happened.

I don't think Frank is aware / cares of the criticism. It's also the story Richard told, although I don't remember him specifically saying anything about tempos. I guess we'll have to ask Duff and Slash... that'll prove fruitful🤣 "all things considered..."

27 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think at that point they didn't really care, plus in 2016 they didn't think the tour would go past August or so. Because yeah, at the Vegas shows a lot of the songs were way too fast.

If he played it slow previously, why would he suddenly play it "way too fast" (personally to me the notion of it being too fast is bullshit anyway... to me it sounds as good as it ever did), without anyone prompting him? Musicians like Duff, Slash and Axl certainly would say something if it was bad and not what they wanted.

Edited by PatrickS77

11 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I saw Frank playing live in 2010 and in 2016: if he played faster was because someone told him to do it. In 2010 played slower, and I doubt that he forget to play drums after that.

Yeah, I lean on this side. I don't think Duff or Slash like the clean sound that the CD band had. Funny thing is Brent Fitz would have fit in with the CD band perfect, playing just how he does with Slash. 

I personally think Slash and Duff wanted to strip it back, make it raw and like a club band rather than a polished rock stadium band.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

If he played it slow previously, why would he suddenly play it "way too fast" (personally to me the notion of it being too fast is bullshit anyway... to me it sounds as good as it ever did), without anyone prompting him? Musicians like Duff, Slash and Axl certainly would say something if it was bad and not what they wanted.

Well too fast really only depends on the song, some songs sound great up a few bpm. In the general I'd agree things sound ok, but there are a few examples like NV, that kinda live or die (for me) on not playing it too fast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think Frank is aware / cares of the criticism. It's also the story Richard told, although I don't remember him specifically saying anything about tempos. I guess we'll have to ask Duff and Slash... that'll prove fruitful🤣 "all things considered..."

Richard is passing the buck to them also then.

14 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

axl told frank to play faster cause he wants to phone in his performances as much as possible he doesn't enjoy the songs anymore 

he tried to say it was duff and slashs idea in that brazil interview but thats a lie, he tells frank what to do and frank doesn't listen to anyone else 

I think that's plausible. I still don't understand why Slash would tell him to play RQ, Nightrain, etc faster for NITL then go on the road with SMKC a couple years later and be back to playing those songs at the regular tempo. If he prefers it faster he would've been doing it all along right?

Yeah... Richard and Frank are passing the buck to Slash and Duf... Of course... Richard and Frank are now the Musical Directors of Guns N' Roses ... They are telling Slash and Duff what to do...

As much as Team Brazil is doing with Axl...

Gotta laugh with some theories...

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Yeah... Richard and Frank are passing the buck to Slash and Duf... Of course... Richard and Frank are now the Musical Directors of Guns N' Roses ... They are telling Slash and Duff what to do...

As much as Team Brazil is doing with Axl...

Gotta laugh with some theories...

giphy.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard has taught Slash a thing or two, and Slash has probably shown Richard a thing or two as well. Somebody needs to show Frank the door. :D

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

At this point I can't even tell if this is a serious post :facepalm:

If you think Richard or Frank are deciding how the songs should be played, and are overruling Slash and Duff, you're fuckin crazy :lol:

yes just like this band...jeepers 

sooo crazzy

slash - follow my lead 

richard - nah whatever 

duff - frank, listen... 

frank - what?  

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Richard is passing the buck to them also then.

I think that's plausible. I still don't understand why Slash would tell him to play RQ, Nightrain, etc faster for NITL then go on the road with SMKC a couple years later and be back to playing those songs at the regular tempo. If he prefers it faster he would've been doing it all along right?

I just listened to the Axl and Duff interview again and Axl sat beside Duff said "they (Duff/Slash) had their own way of working with a drummer, they picked up the tempos on a couple of the old songs. They spent a good while doing that". Not word for word, but close. I mean if Duff didn't do that with Slash, his nodding in agreement is peculiar😄 

As for why he does it one way with SMKC and not with gnr? I really have no idea, I guess he thinks that style suits that band and he wants separation between the 2 bands. When I play the same song with multiple bands I play it differently each time based off what I think suits. Again, who knows... but we can only go with the information they offer.

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yes just like this band...jeepers 

sooo crazzy

slash - follow my lead 

richard - nah whatever 

duff - frank, listen... 

frank - what?  

...what?

They played the songs "their way" in the CD years. When Slash and Duff re-joined the band, the songs changed. Must just be a coincidence, though...