On 20/05/2020 at 1:02 AM, Tom2112 said:

How do you work the 'heavily doctored' bit out? are we still talking about the overdubs on live era? 1. that was a long time ago, 2. Overdubbing live albums is so common, just about every great live album has some overdubs, and in some cases it's so overdubbed it's basically a studio record with crowd noises.

Last time GNR released a live album it was warts and all, Appetite for democracy has flubs on guitar, Axl didn't sound fantastic on all the songs... they didn't fix it. 

This is a crazy idea, but maybe wait until you hear what they release and then make your opinion on it. There really is no reason to be negative about the proposed live video idea, besides that it should have happened weeks / months / years ago!

This is the way it should be - don’t like Live Era changes. I just noticed on the back the track list says Nighttrain- misspelt with two Ts. #facepalm

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riot shields or bust.  

Cant beleive its taken the band 3 months to do this, and Fernando only agreeing to do something like this when told to him directly by the fans. If GNR want to look at being a top tier band this

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Never - I torrented it - made it past the part where Rose's piano flies into the air during ''November Rain''.

They should unironically bring back the flying piano during November Rain.

The stage setup in general could use a little more 'razzmatazz'.

22 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

How does it take a band so long to release live footage ???

They could easily just give us a full show like Download Festival at the least.

I'd honestly prefer they release nothing, than release their set from Download 2018. Axl sounded terrible in 2018... and 2017 and 2019 weren't much better.

Just give us It's So Easy from the Troubadour and maybe a couple songs from the NA 2016 shows ffs.

• Like 1

Just give us Houston 2016 in full. Probably the least amount of material that would end up on the chopping block.

In my opinion, that was Axl's most consistent show of the whole run. Other shows may have had better performances of certain songs, but as a general "best overall" I'd say Houston wins. That was the bootleg I went back to the most, even more than the show I attended (Toronto 2016). 

Ottawa 2017 was the other show I went to and Axl was pure Mickey. Ironically I probably enjoyed myself more at that one though. For all my criticisms of Axl's voice I'll admit that when you're there you kind of ignore the Mickey pretty quick since, in the moment, there are so many other things to focus on.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd honestly prefer they release nothing, than release their set from Download 2018. Axl sounded terrible in 2018... and 2017 and 2019 weren't much better.

Just give us It's So Easy from the Troubadour and maybe a couple songs from the NA 2016 shows ffs.

That's a really good idea.  Release a best of each song performed from each of the 2016 stops to eventually make up a full concert plus.  Good stuff.

But realistically, I've never heard anyone say anything good about Axl's vocals outside of variations of almost as good as before, or it wasn't as bad as it was later.

I don't know.  I like to think of any live recording as a historical document of a specific show or period in time.  I certainly wouldn't pick the "worst" performance, but I also wouldn't shy away from the truth.  But, if like photoshop work is acceptable so is a good sound mix.

I thought Apollo Theater 17 and Inglewood sounded incredible.  I listen to those shows all the time.  I'd listen to most anything from any period because I haven't found a period I couldn't appreciate at least an aspect of it.

1 minute ago, BigVanVader said:

I thought Apollo Theater 17 and Inglewood sounded incredible.  I listen to those shows all the time.  I'd listen to most anything from any period because I haven't found a period I couldn't appreciate at least an aspect of it.

I thought the exact opposite... I sent the Inglewood recording to a friend (who also saw them in 2016) and his response was "he [Axl] doesn't sound very good on most songs". There were some good songs, but overall it's a wildly inconsistent show. Same with most shows from 2017. Of course they could pick certain songs from 2017-now, but since it's been largely the same show since 2016, they may as well just use the 2016 recordings.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Just give us Houston 2016 in full. Probably the least amount of material that would end up on the chopping block.

True. They could even call it "The Piano Incident" and roll out a new line of stupid t-shirts at the same time :lol:

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

Starting off with 2019?:facepalm:

If it's songs like Easy, CD and DTJ, it won't make too much of a difference, so I'm happy with that.

Hopefully if they drop videos of WTTJ, Nightrain, OTGM, etc it's from 2016 tho.

• Like 2
  • Gordon Comstock changed the title to NITL live videos on youtube
  • downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic